closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please... Nomos or Oris

Craftsman

Opinions please... Nomos or Oris

Hi all,

I'm quite new on the forum. I have been considering buying a Nomos Tangente for a while now as I love more or less everything about it. However, as my first serious watch purchase, I have become torn between buying the Nomos or buying an Oris Aquis Date. Very different watches I know! But, as a first "real" watch what would you consider the better buy? In someways the Oris seems more practical but the Nomos feels like more watch for the money. Please suggest any similar alternatives too. And of course photos!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of the two id definitely go nomos.
    Oris are good but IMO nomos is a step up.

I just cant get past those Nomos lugs tbh, for those prices what about a second-hand Omega Seamaster?

Master
    Two very different watches to my eye. Nomos a step up in quality and price to me but go with your gut feeling.

I've lusted after a Nomos for some time but when I got to try one in the flesh it was too dressy for an every day wearer for me. They are great watches but make sure you try one first cos if, like me, you are on a more casual / sporty vibe, the Oris might be a better bet. If you do lean more towards a more sporty piece, there are loads of micro brands that do some great divers out there. Helios, Helson and Squale are just a few brands to check out. Also, Sinn (556 / 656) might be an option too.

Master
    Another vote for Nomos. The Tangente is quite iconic (in the right circles), has a unique in-house movement, and could well be a keeper; I suspect the Oris wouldn't be as while it's a nice watch, there's nothing really all that special about it.

Nomos without a doubt.

Used to think Nomos looked like quite a good watch but over time I've become quite luke-warm over the brand. Maybe I'm starting to see them as a bit boring....not sure. So for me, I'd go Oris.

However, I think the majority will probably say Nomos - they are a more WIS-centric brand with in-house movement and perceived better quality.

Banned
    There's got to something else out there, I don't like the Nomos range at all and the Aquis is one of their more bland Oris watches.

Are you buying new or second hand? What's your budget?

Master
    Nomos overpriced now in my view, nice watches though. I still prefer the Stowa Antea for bang for the buck.

Master
    Another vote for the Nomos here. They are two very very different watches though, which makes me think you might find something else you like if you keep looking?

Craftsman
    Thanks for the excellent responses so far! Bit of a mixed bag! I guess I assumed the responses would be heavily in favour of the Nomos. I plan to buy new, so my budget is around the £1400 mark. Obviously a new aquis goes for a bit less than that.

To be honest I am more or less sold on the Nomos. I think I would continue to want one even if I didn't buy it this time and I've struggled to find anything else on the market that offers the same value. Also I have quite small wrists (6.5") which I feel means most (iconic) divers look a little daft on me.

Do you have other watches or will this be your only one? Do you care about water resistance?

Banned
    You have seen this? at around £850

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruMRvpTG1wE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    There's got to something else out there, I don't like the Nomos range at all and the Aquis is one of their more bland Oris watches.
    This is deeply disturbing. I agree with Captainhowdy again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    This is deeply disturbing. I agree with Captainhowdy again.
    Many a true word is spoken through false teeth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    You have seen this? at around £850

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruMRvpTG1wE

I had an an Antea 39 and quite liked it. and I quite fancy that 41mm personally (8 1/4 in wrist.

At 41mm though, this model, on a smaller wrist, with that huge expanse of dial and no bezel worth speaking of, is going to look like a dinner plate with hands on.

Master
    My personal opinion is that Nomos is a beautifully made watch, but a bit of a one-trick pony in that they have flogged the Bauhaus vibe to death. My son has a Tangomat and a Zurich and they are works of art ............... but a little boring.

I really like the Oris Aquis, because it has a really clean dial which fills a gap between the sporty diver and the dress watch........ BUT ........... it does have a potentially annoying proprietary lug which will limit the strap options at some stage unless you keep it on an Oris bracelet.

If it were my money I would probably still go with the Aquis (I was looking at them only this afternoon), but also it wouldn't kill my urge to buy a Nomos as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I just cant get past those Nomos lugs tbh, for those prices what about a second-hand Omega Seamaster?
    I think the Tangente is very much driven by having to get along with the lugs. I've a brace of Nomos - an Orion and a Ludwig. Both of those are good for differing reasons - the Ludwig to get the blued steel hands; and the Orion Weiss for the purity of line and execution - it doesn't put a foot wrong. The stock
    Orion I found that the gold indices with the blued hands just jarred slightly..

For the price point you're looking at, I'd be looking at a lightly used Zurich in preference - I didn't pay full whack for either of mine, and t.b.h I think the one of the two I would do for is the Orion..

You can source Nomos' from Europe at rather less than they crop up for in the UK...

Pics of my pair:

and:

... I specifically discounted the Tangente as I don't get the lugs.. but the typeface on the dial I did like..

As noted in the thread later - you need to not particularly want significant WR .. (one of the Clubs and the
    Tangente Sport can do a bit better, though).

al

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've lusted after a Nomos for some time but when I got to try one in the flesh it was too dressy for an every day wearer for me. They are great watches but make sure you try one first cos if, like me, you are on a more casual / sporty vibe, the Oris might be a better bet. If you do lean more towards a more sporty piece, there are loads of micro brands that do some great divers out there. Helios, Helson and Squale are just a few brands to check out. Also, Sinn (556 / 656) might be an option too.
    Exactly my experience. There is no doubt the NOMOS is a fantastic watch, however I was after a watch that would suit me for nearly all occasions. I sold my Orion and bought a 2254 Seamaster. I don't regret it one bit. Having said that, if funds permitted I would have a NOMOS as a dress watch without hesitation.

Also if you know anyone who lives in Ireland get the watch shipped to their address directly from NOMOS. That way you can pay in Euro and save quite a bit of the sterling price. NOMOS confirmed that this can be done providing the shipping address is outside the UK. €1540 for a Tangent (£1126) compared to £1370. Having said that many European dealers are offering good discounts anyway.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 30th March 2015 at 22:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Exactly my experience. There is no doubt the NOMOS is a fantastic watch, however I was after a watch that would suit me for nearly all occasions. I sold my Orion and bought a 2254 Seamaster. I don't regret it one bit. Having said that, if funds permitted I would have a NOMOS as a dress watch without hesitation.

Also if you know anyone who lives in Ireland get the watch shipped to their address directly from NOMOS. That way you can pay in Euro and save quite a bit of the sterling price. NOMOS confirmed that this can be done providing the shipping address is outside the UK. €1540 for a Tangent (£1126) compared to £1370. Having said that many European dealers are offering good discounts anyway.

Hmm yes I forgot about that I got charged about £15 over the odds for a cordovan strap from them. Allegedly they set the exhange rate once a year and that's it but actually I think UK prices are permanently at much higher levels. Source outside the UK is of course the answer.
    Last edited by kk; 31st March 2015 at 00:07.

The Tangente is pretty, but it's also cold, somehow elitist, a bit metrosexual - not everyone's cup of tea.
    Don't buy unseen, you need to try it on, see if you feel comfortable wearing it - if it immediately feels right then it probably is.
    If you're swinging between two so very different watches, I suggest you hold off until the pendulum comes to rest over a less diverse grouping.

Above all else, know your own mind, don't rely on advice from people who have never met you. I've made loads of mistakes by not following my own rules and continue to do so - but they're my mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Nomos for me... At 41.5mm this quite a chunk of watch... It's probanly the one I pick up most!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    I had an an Antea 39 and quite liked it. and I quite fancy that 41mm personally (8 1/4 in wrist.

At 41mm though, this model, on a smaller wrist, with that huge expanse of dial and no bezel worth speaking of, is going to look like a dinner plate with hands on.
    My 41.5mm watch wrist shot is on a 6 3/4 wrist... Granted it's on the very limit, but, it fits

Shape of wrist maybe?

Craftsman
    Even although I like Nomos and have a couple of their watches I do sometimes find them a bit boring. But I think they are watches I will keep for the long term. A bit like a classic Mercedes getting better with age. Oris would be more like an Audi. The Nomos Club watch if you source it from Europe is good value. Would recommend you see Nomos watches in person to see the design, quality and long lugs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Do you have other watches or will this be your only one? Do you care about water resistance?
    I have an old steel Tissot and a vintage Roidor that was my Grandfather's 25 year service watch but this purchase will be an everyday watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    I have an old steel Tissot and a vintage Roidor that was my Grandfather's 25 year service watch but this purchase will be an everyday watch for me.
    Given your wrist size, I'd seriously consider the smaller 36mm NOMOS Club. IMO the size will be perfect for you plus it's a touch sportier than other models in the range so it's more likely to be a daily wearer for you. I'm off to Germany tomorrow and I can't guarantee that I won't come back with one!

Excellent review here: http://wornandwound.com/2012/10/31/n...dunkel-review/

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    The nomos is a dress watch - can't go in the water and isn't very tough, and so depending on what your every day entails the Oris may be better. I have one and love it, but I have an omega aqua terra for an everyday piece.

Craftsman
    The nomos is a dress watch - can't go in the water and isn't very tough, and so depending on what your every day entails the Oris may be better. I have one and love it, but I have an omega aqua terra for an everyday piece.
    I have been swimming with a Nomos club.

Master
    As many have said depends what you want, as they are both different.

I am a Oris owner, they are a big watch which I am happy with, but that Nomos is very nice as well depends what your in the market for.

The Nomos is now on my want list..

Journeyman
    I would buy Nomos
    - nice and clean design
    - better movement
    - it offer more for the price

I tried them at WoS and they are gorgeous watches. Oris to me is too bulky.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice on the Nomos. I have been to try it (twice now) and definitely love it. The lugs aren't an issue for me as I know they are for some. That the Nomos is not sporty nor suitable for water are both valid points though and I will more than likely continue to want a diver. But then I feel more willing to wait on that and purchase one later. Or pick up a cheaper diver instead e.g. Hydroconquest.

Aquis orange numerals & bracelet, for me.

Why not have a look at a Nomos Tangente Sport? Classic Nomos styling, not too big (36,5mm), 100m waterresistant.

photo courtesy of http://home.watchprosite.com/show-fo...angente-sport/

Blog Entries
    10 ATM - yes it could go in water, but, I wouldn't... Don't let the elegant features put you off as its a well designed and robust watch

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    10 ATM - yes it could go in water, but, I wouldn't... Don't let the elegant features put you off as its a well designed and robust watch

Ben
    Indeed. And the regular tangente is only 30m.

Oris is a mainstream Swiss brand, with a broad range of quality traditional autos. Nomos is a far more 'Bauhaus' wis brand, with graceful sweeping lines and a far dressier Germanic vibe. Apples and Oranges IMHO. But I vote Nomos!

Craftsman
    Nomos Orion sourced through Europe and paying in Euro's is a good buy but not in Sterling, that is if it suits your lifestyle. or maybe its a work watch and you can get the Oris for after work

I've had another think and I find Nomos watches really boring. Like an accountants watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Nomos ahoi atlantik is a lovely watch, and depth rated to 200m.

Quote Originally Posted by bparker170 View Post
    Nomos overpriced now in my view, nice watches though. I still prefer the Stowa Antea for bang for the buck.
    I agree with this, the Antea KS is about half the price as the Nomos alternative. Oris make some very nice watches and you seem to be able to purchase one for a very good price if you look around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I agree with this, the Antea KS is about half the price as the Nomos alternative. Oris make some very nice watches and you seem to be able to purchase one for a very good price if you look around.

It's not really an alternative. Nomos quality is streets ahead. (My Antea is now gone).

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The Nomos ahoi atlantik is a lovely watch, and depth rated to 200m.
    Agree with this - bought one last year and it has been one of my most enjoyed/worn watches since. However, I do agree with various comments about Nomos becoming (relatively) pricey. If I was purchasing now I would consider buying from Europe.

Oris for me because I like dive watches, hard to compare the two really. If both are liked best to get one then add the other to the list for later when funds allow. I'd get the Oris first for the above reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    It's not really an alternative. Nomos quality is streets ahead. (My Antea is now gone).
    Personally I tried on several Nomos watches, the long lugs looked horrible and most of them looked lost on the wrist. The only Nomos I was impressed with was the Zurich.

Previously having heard so many glowing reviews of Nomos watches I was convinced paying double would be worth it, that was until I tried a few on and saved myself about £700 and bought a Stowa.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by diranija View Post
    Agree with this - bought one last year and it has been one of my most enjoyed/worn watches since. However, I do agree with various comments about Nomos becoming (relatively) pricey. If I was purchasing now I would consider buying from Europe.
    Yes the Ahoi is great. It's just really pricey (in GBP at least) when compared with the 35mm Tangente (something like £1200 difference).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've had another think and I find Nomos watches really boring. Like an accountants watch.
    Harsh! But I can see that.

(For the record I'm not an accountant!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    One mans boring is another's understated and stylish!!!

Each to their own of course :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Even although I like Nomos and have a couple of their watches I do sometimes find them a bit boring. But I think they are watches I will keep for the long term. A bit like a classic Mercedes getting better with age. Oris would be more like an Audi. .....
    I like that Mercedes analogy - it's how I treat my Tangente, never venturing out from its centrally heated garage.
    The Tangente isn't boring, but a little self-regarding, humourless even. There are enduring compensations however - it's a really nice watch, crisp execution with jewellery quality finish and a design with a discernible civilising influence.
    I like that Nomos offer 35mm hand winding watches (my fav) and respect them for their achievements in taking control of their supply chain (check out Nomos Swing).
    Although it doesn't see much action, my Tangente instantly assures itself of its place the moment the watch box opens - not all my watches do that.