closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up - Omega Speedmaster '57

Heads up - Omega Speedmaster '57

Just come across this on Goldsmiths website, really like the look of them and this seems a decent saving, £5690 reduced to £4265.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Sp...ch/p/17331054/

Master
    25% ish discount from an AD...pretty impressive on a popular watch.

Nice watch, 41.5mm case but ... same/similar prices as iconic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Just come across this on Goldsmiths website, really like the look of them and this seems a decent saving, £5690 reduced to £4265.

Why would you pay £4265 for that when you can have this http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Sp...ch/p/17331157/ for £3340?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Why would you pay £4265 for that when you can have this http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Sp...ch/p/17331157/ for £3340?
    Agreed. But why would you pay £3,340 when you can pick one up from here in decent shape for £1,700.

Saw this the other day. The problem with this watch is there was a new Speedy 57 announced at Baselworld with the correct broad-arrow handset - much better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    How much do you value a date?

Journeyman
    Saw this a week ago on WoS website. I dont see people rushing to buy so i suspect it is not a very popular model.
    I wonder when they are going to loose their AD status by discounting so much...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Agreed. But why would you pay £3,340 when you can pick one up from here in decent shape for £1,700.
    Maybe this is more for those of us who want an auto full size speedie with date and but also value the fact that it has an in house co-ax movement. I have no love for the Speedie pro which is manual wind for no good reason at all other than adherence to a 50 year old Nasa spec which would equally been passed by an auto movement had a suitable one been available to Omega at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    How much do you value a date?
    Well, it's been a while now, since you ask.

Oh, you mean on a watch? I'll get me coat...

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have no love for the Speedie pro which is manual wind for no good reason at all other than adherence to a 50 year old Nasa spec which would equally been passed by an auto movement had a suitable one been available to Omega at the time.
    Let's not forget about size, and specifically thickness. I own four chronos, and they're all manual-winding because I can't stand the thick hockey puck size watches that you invariably see with something like a Valjoux 7750 automatic movement. Likewise, Omega's 9300 movement is very impressive, but the watches they've built around it are as big as houses. Would I like to have a Speedmaster with a date window or an automatic movement? Sure, but only if it sat as low on the wrist and was as lovely to wear as my trusty 3570.50.

As always, one man's opinion, worth what you paid for it, etc...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Let's not forget about size, and specifically thickness. I own four chronos, and they're all manual-winding because I can't stand the thick hockey puck size watches that you invariably see with something like a Valjoux 7750 automatic movement. Likewise, Omega's 9300 movement is very impressive, but the watches they've built around it are as big as houses. Would I like to have a Speedmaster with a date window or an automatic movement? Sure, but only if it sat as low on the wrist and was as lovely to wear as my trusty 3570.50.

As always, one man's opinion, worth what you paid for it, etc...
    Fair point. I agree with what you say about the 7750 based chronos, they always seem over thick to me too. I have a late 3313 based broad arrow coax and i have compared it side by side with a friends Speedie pro and there was very little if anything in it size wise so if you come across one of those you may find you like it, though there have of course been one or two ahem issues with early 3313s of course.

Edit, just checked, 3570.50 case thickness is 14.3mm, 3313 broad arrow co-ax 14.5mm: the 3313 auto is nearly identical!
    Last edited by Padders; 29th March 2015 at 16:15.

Master
    it's way too big for me and the sapphire on the back protrudes out which I hate and feels more like a design flaw more than anything. Also the date window is annoying and not the right colour too. I would take (and did take) the speedmaster pro any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have a late 3313 based broad arrow coax and i have compared it side by side with a friends Speedie pro and there was very little if anything in it size wise so if you come across one of those you may find you like it, though there have of course been one or two ahem issues with early 3313s of course.

Edit, just checked, 3570.50 case thickness is 14.3mm, 3313 broad arrow co-ax 14.5mm: the 3313 auto is nearly identical!
    Oh, very interesting. Thanks for that. I may need to have a second look at the 3133 Speedmasters - I'd always assumed they were much thicker.

Grand Master
    Let's not forget about size, and specifically thickness. I own four chronos, and they're all manual-winding because I can't stand the thick hockey puck size watches that you invariably see with something like a Valjoux 7750 automatic movement.
    I have a watch from a forum darling brand (although it's not a forum darling watch) with a 7750 movement. It has 200m of WR, and a thinner case than a manual-wind Speedmaster. Given how big today's watches are, it's almost never to do with the movement thickness...
    Likewise, Omega's 9300 movement is very impressive, but the watches they've built around it are as big as houses.
    As this point illustrates. Omega's chrono movement is thinner than a 7750, but they make their watches big, chunky and high-riding on the wrist. Nor is it anything to do with the added thickness from a sapphire back; stacks of manufacturers have watches with glass backs that don't add serious amounts of heft. It's about a conscious design decision to make big watches for a market that appreciates them.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Does a brand being discounted put you off? Tag Heuer always seem to be in a sale at Goldsmith so I wouldn't pay full price for one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1975i View Post
    Does a brand being discounted put you off? Tag Heuer always seem to be in a sale at Goldsmith so I wouldn't pay full price for one.
    why would you ever pay a full price for luxury watch? In many countries it is common to negotiate the price, apart from the UK where ADs are greedy :).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    why would you ever pay a full price for luxury watch? In many countries it is common to negotiate the price, apart from the UK where ADs are greedy :).
    I have some vouchers and they only let you spend them on full price items. Therefore I wouldn't want to buy a watch at full price and then next week it is discounted anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

Ive been lusting after this blue 1 for about a year now. Buy it and sell it to my for half price in a years time. I have even been keeping an eye out on ebay for 1 for the last 6 months and never seen 1 for sale. Either people are keeping them or not buying them. Either way I WANT.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I have a watch from a forum darling brand (although it's not a forum darling watch) with a 7750 movement. It has 200m of WR, and a thinner case than a manual-wind Speedmaster. Given how big today's watches are, it's almost never to do with the movement thickness...

[...] Omega's chrono movement is thinner than a 7750, but they make their watches big, chunky and high-riding on the wrist. Nor is it anything to do with the added thickness from a sapphire back; stacks of manufacturers have watches with glass backs that don't add serious amounts of heft. It's about a conscious design decision to make big watches for a market that appreciates them.
    Andrew,

Thanks for that interesting info. I certainly have no reason to doubt what you're saying, but still I'm having a hard time reconciling your statements with my own observations. To me there does seem to be a trend for each particular model of Omega watch to bulk up when it's switched to an in-house movement. I readily admit I haven't done my homework on the 9300, but I'm quite surprised to hear you say that it is actually thinner than a 7750. Have you got any reading material on this you could point me to? I'd love to learn more about it so I can speak from a position of greater knowledge next time.

As an example of the Omega weight-gain trend, I've simultaneously handled a 42mm PO 2500 and a 42mm PO 8500, and the latter is definitely much thicker. Can it really just be only the display back on the 8500 that causes this? I ask because if you do the same test with the Aqua Terra family - 39mm 2500 next to 38.5mm 8500 - the new model again has a thicker case, but both versions have the same display back. (click here for some photos that show the differences) These observations are what cause me to infer that Omega's in-house movements as a group are thicker than the ETA/Valjoux based movements they're meant to replace.

Regarding the 7750 and auto-winding chronos in general, I'm comfortable standing by my statement that for my tastes they are mostly all too thick. The next fellow's preferences may be different of course. However, what's not in question is the notion that how a watch wears has as much to do with the skill and restraint exercised by the watch designer as it does the size of the physical components! On that point you and I are in 100% agreement.

cheers,
    - Matt

Grand Master
    No worries - several print magazines make tests available online; they tend to do their research! Watchtime does a compendium:

http://www.watchtime.com/cms/wp-cont...Time_Tests.pdf

Which is worth a flick through for a few other interesting watches as well.

As an example of the Omega weight-gain trend, I've simultaneously handled a 42mm PO 2500 and a 42mm PO 8500, and the latter is definitely much thicker. Can it really just be only the display back on the 8500 that causes this? I ask because if you do the same test with the Aqua Terra family - 39mm 2500 next to 38.5mm 8500 - the new model again has a thicker case, but both versions have the same display back. (click here for some photos that show the differences) These observations are what cause me to infer that Omega's in-house movements as a group are thicker than the ETA/Valjoux based movements they're meant to replace.
    In this case, they are; the 8500 is something like 5.5mm thick, which is a bit thicker than an ETA 2836, and almost 2mm thicker than the Omega 2500 it replaces. The 2500 is an ETA 2892 with the trick escapement, a lower beat rate and a more efficient winding mechanism; and the 2892 is itself based on a 1960s design from Eterna which followed the superslim trends of the day. So if nothing else changes, the case will have to be around 2mm thicker.

One reason for the 9300 needing a more room is the handstack, which has to clear a subdial that has two hands - though this would only ad a fraction of a mm.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!