closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A guide to posting pictures

A guide to posting pictures

I hope no one minds me doing a guide, but I see so many posts from people saying that they don't know how to post a picture, I felt it was worth doing.

How to Post a Picture on TZ-UK

There are three steps to posting a picture:
    1. Take your picture, and transfer it to your PC. This is not covered by this guide. :)
    2. Upload the image to a web host.
    3. Link to the image in your TZ-UK forum post.

Uploading your image to a web host

There are many websites that will host/store pictures for you. Your choice of host makes no difference when you come to post your picture on the TZ-UK forum. Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/) is recommended by several forum users, but I have chosen to use Photobucket for this guide (as that's the hosting service I use and am most familiar with).

First, you need a Photobucket account. It's free, and this is how you get one:

1. Go to http://www.photobucket.com and click on the "join now" tab:

2. Put in a username and password of your choice, and click the "Next Step" button. Remember the username and password, as you'll need them the next time to want to upload a picture :D

3. Fill in the stuff on the next page. There's no confirmation step, so you can chose to be called Donald Duck if you wish. You will notice that I chose the name "Timefactors". When you've done all that, click the "I accept. Sign me up!" button.

4. You'll now go to a page where you can upload your picture(s). Click the browse button...

...navigate to the folder on your PC where you have your picture stored, and select it/double click it, and the image will be selected for upload to Photobucket.

In the following image, you can see that i have selected a picture called "Photobucket1.jpg". Photobucket has automatically created a folder in its hosting space called "Timefactors", where it will store any pictures that I upload. Note that the image has not been uploaded yet.

At this point, you can click another browse button to select further images to upload, or just proceed to the upload stage. You do this by clicking the "Upload" button.

After a short period as the image is uploaded, you will see the following screen, confirming the success of the upload:

Next, scroll down, and you'll see a thumbnail of the image you just uploaded:

Just below the image are some lines of HTML stuff. You're interested in the one called "IMG Code":

Left click anywhere in the text box next to the "IMG Code" label - i.e. the bit where you can see "http://i195.photobuc" in the picture. When you click, a little yellow box saying "Copied" will pop up. This means that you have stored the link to your picture in your PC's clipboard/memory.

Update: It doesn't always auto-copy any more. If it doesn't for you, do the following: Left click anywhere in the text box next to the "IMG Code" label - i.e. the bit where you can see "http://i195.photobuc" in the picture. The text in the box will be highlighted. Right click the mouse, and select "copy" from the pop-up menu.

That's the end of the section on image hosting - we have stored our image on a hosting site, copied its location, and can now move to the TZ-UK forum.

Posting an image on the TZ-UK forum

1. Start a new post, and type text up to the point where you want your picture. Paste the code you copied from Photobucket into your post. You should see something like [img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z47/Timefactors/TZ-UK2.jpg[/img ]. This is the web location of your picture, surrounded by [img ] and [/img ] code tags that tell the forum software what to do. It should look like this:

...and there you go. Finish typing your post. Insert any other images you wish to put in your post, and submit the post. It's a good idea to preview your post to make sure that it's all formatted correctly.

OK, that's the end of the guide. I hope it all makes sense. :D

One final comment is regarding the size of the pictures you post - don't post big ones, or they break the formatting of the forum. Please see this thread for details: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224. If you use Flickr to host your pictures, then sizing is done for you.

Edit: Thanks to magirus and vagabond for help with the use of the Photobucket IMG Code, and GeoffD for the Flickr recommendation.

Thomas Reid
    It is a great idea! Thanks.

Best wishes,
    Bob

To simplify the process, when copying the Photobucket link, instead of using the URL link copy the IMG code and paste into your post. This removes the need to select the Img button from the list of tools.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Great idea and nicely done. :)

Just would like to add my tuppence ....... you can also copy the "IMG code" link from Photobucket (usually under the URL option) - this already has the [img]tags%20applied%20to%20the%20URL%20so%20you%20don't %20need%20to%20bother%20with%20the%20[IMG]%20..[/img] buttons when posting in TZ-UK and it makes it easier to place your pics anywhere in the post.

Grand Master
    An excellent tutorial, Hoggie! 8)

Deserves to be stickied (stuck?). :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I'd only like to add my recommendation for Flickr as the hosting service, particularly for those without the ability to re size the photo's before uploading. Flickr offers the option to re-size the image before uploading and a range of sizes for posting once uploaded.

Master
    Thanks for taking the trouble, Hogthrob. Now there's absolutely no excuse for anyone to post a watch on Sales Corner sans pics. :)

Incidentally, how do you get those nice screen-grabs? I've always found the PrtScn button a complete mystery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzio
    Thanks for taking the trouble, Hogthrob. Now there's absolutely no excuse for anyone to post a watch on Sales Corner sans pics. :)

Incidentally, how do you get those nice screen-grabs? I've always found the PrtScn button a complete mystery.
    Jumping in here... In Windows you press PrtSc (PrintScreen) once, that copies the entire screen to the clipboard as a bitmap. Then go to an image editing program capable of creating a new image by pasting, and just press Ctrl-V. You may need to have another image already on screen (i.e. an open file into which you then paste the screen grab), and take care to save the image from the image editor under a new name. I use Faststone Image Viewer for this, as you then can again select and copy a part of the imported image and paste it as a newer image again, so you can simply copy the part of the screen image you need without resorting to a special screen grabber program. Faststone also allows you to resize/resample a picture through its Edit menu, it is quite simple. And Faststone is free.
    You can also use the PrtSc key and Ctrl-V to copy and paste a screen grab into a wordprocessor, for instance.

"PrtScrn" just copies the whole screen to the clipboard. You still need some kind of graphics capable package to then paste it into for saving.

Paint Shop Pro (lots of free copies around) has a good screen grab utility built in.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll update the [img] tag bit when I get chance.

The PrtSc button copies the whole of your screen.

Pressing the Alt and PrtSc buttons together captures only the active window, which is how I captured the screenhots.

I did image re-sizing and and drew the red arrows using the Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD

"PrtScrn" just copies the whole screen to the clipboard. You still need some kind of graphics capable package to then paste it into for saving.

Paint Shop Pro (lots of free copies around) has a good screen grab utility built in.
    If you use ALT + PrntScrn - this grabs only the active window and not the whole screen.

Blog Entries
    Bloody Hell! :twisted:

It seems like I'm getting slow in my old age - that's twice I've been pipped to the post by 1-2 minutes :roll: :D

Excellent! I'll make this a sticky. :D

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Excellent! I'll make this a sticky. :D

Eddie
    Good, as this is a topic often asked - should lead to more enticing posts on SC :)

Thanks for putting this together Hog, the screenshots will make it a lot clearer to novices.

Master
    Well done now everyone can post pics and we get to see more WATCHES which is great. :cheers:
    paul. :D

It also means that anyone who says "I don't know how to post pictures of this absolutely genuine TAG wot mi dad got me from Thailand" can be destroyed. :twisted:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I read a great excuse on eBay yesterday on a Seamaster. A sob story about a messy breakup with a girlfriend - the seller got the watch, the girlfriend kept the box and papers. :lol:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    I read a great excuse on eBay yesterday on a Seamaster. A sob story about a messy breakup with a girlfriend - the seller got the watch, the girlfriend kept the box and papers. :lol:
    :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Grand Master

Re: A guide to posting pictures

I prefer using http://www.tinypic.com, the reason is that it's a simple process, you just hit browse, find the picture on your harddrive and then hit upload, after that it actually gives you the tags in the box so you just cut and paste straight into the post.

good recommendation

Journeyman

A useful how to guide , now could some one explain why there are never any batteries in the camera when you want to use it .

Quote Originally Posted by christmas
    A useful how to guide , now could some one explain why there are never any batteries in the camera when you want to use it .
    Because the wife took them for the television remote control, or something.

Eddie

Is there a maximum image size you would recommend for ease of uploading?
    It's just a matter of time...

I think that the max size the forum software will allow you to upload is 800pix wide. But anywhere around 700 wide is fine for most people.

Journeyman

,,,, I know that i'm a bit thick,,,,
    but,,,
    I can't seem to get an Avatar up on this site.

I belong to dozens of forums,,,, & use avatars on them all.

I use PhotoShop (v7) & Photobucket.

Whenever I try to insert Avatar it always comes up with Too big - only 120 x 80 pixels is accepted. Fairy Nuff - there has to be a limit.
    I have tried images down to 20 x 20,,, but are still too big.

I then see that regardless of physical size - the max res is 6kb !

I'm struggling to get an image down to 6kb. I'm trying to use an aeroplane propeller, in an upright position in this case,,,, so it's a tiny tiny file,,,,, but if I can mange to get it down to 6kb,,,, you can't see it.

As I say, I know i'm a bit simple,,,, so can someone be kind to an old geezer & give idea where i'm going wrong ?

thanks for reading,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you're saving it as a JPG, save it at a lower quality and you'll have no problem getting it down to 6kb.

Eddie

Can anyone tell me how I get the 'img' code for flikr please?
    ta

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Can anyone tell me how I get the 'img' code for flikr please?
    ta
    I don't know if you can.

Journeyman
    London - just follow the sounds of champagne corks and screaming.

Hit the 'img' button, paste in the URL of the picture, then hit the 'img' button again. Job done.

Hi David
    I tried that, and got the message;
    "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

Did I fail to do something :?:

Ah, answered my own question, had too big a pic.
    Thanks David.

Blog Entries

Hmmmmm,
    am copying the images under 'Img' intending paste to this site, but thereafter cannot trace the imagies after vacating from
    PB ?

Both they and I am lost..... ??????

:?: :?: :?:
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Both they and I am lost..... ??????
    I see you got the hang of it :-)

Blog Entries

Gordon many thanks, yes after making (quite) a few cockups it eventually clicked --- much appreciated support indeed

best wishes
    Peter

Just a query about pictures in threads-Mostly the pictures appear within the thread and some times there are links to pictures,how is this link created?

Johnny

If you just want a link, leave the [img] tags off the address.

Thanks Gordon, invaluable information, managed to muddle my way through and post my first pic tonight!
    "Good", it is not but with practice and helpful advice my photography may improve.

Dave

Thanks.

Journeyman

Thanks that great to see, I'm new and found "picture" posting impossible
    will study it carefully, best regards Michael

Master

New to the forum and all my pics are too big :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by sunster
    New to the forum and all my pics are too big :bounce:
    Then you need to resize them. :wink:

Which hosting company are you using?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thanks for the guide - I am slowly learning!

Journeyman

I've been having problems with copying the IMG link on photobucket. It doesn't paste onto the TZ screen??

Am using a Mac and Firefox as browser? Is this some kind of a glitch?

Eugene

The image url should be placed within img /img tags using the buttons above the Reply box and be no more than 800x600 pixels in size.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneT
    I've been having problems with copying the IMG link on photobucket. It doesn't paste onto the TZ screen??

Am using a Mac and Firefox as browser? Is this some kind of a glitch?

Eugene
    I've noticed that it's stopped auto-copying, as well. Click on the field so that it high-lights, then right click and copy.

thanks, thats brilliant because i didnt have a clue ,still dont but hopefully my daughter will sort it out for me!

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    thanks that brilliant cause i didnt have a cllue still dont but the daughter will sort
    Cool, maybe she can teach you some spelling, grammar and punctuation. :roll:

Master

Thank you. This topic is very useful.

:roll:thanks ,will be giving this a go later :roll:

hi,tried yesterday to post some images, photobucket went ok,all went fine until posting the images,what we ended up with was lines describing the image and no images appearing when completing the post.
    any ideas on where we are going wrong?hopefully thats not to muddled ,basically its the bit transferring the images to tz from photobucket that we are struggling with,
    thanks mel