closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I really like my Seiko Shogun...so I really have to buy a new Tudor Pelagos...

Master

I really like my Seiko Shogun...so I really have to buy a new Tudor Pelagos...

My tastes in watches have really matured and I am now in a place where I really know if I truly like a watch and if I will continue to like it over the years. I have 'grown' from my tiny 6.5 inch wrists sporting oversize, brick heavy dive watches to small 40-42mm max light, functional watches...

I put great value in the movement. I used to hate Rolex, for the majority of people that buy them in my small country are just rich people who want to make a statement of their power. I am neither rich, nor want to make a statement, but the watch I regret selling the most of the hundreds I had is the 14060M. It is the epitome of what I value most in watches these days. Light, small, thin, solid in house (accurate) movement, lug holes, great after sales service. I bought mine for 3000 Euros years back and will not pay 4000+ for the same exact watch today or I wont forgive myself.

Ever since selling that watch I have been looking for a worthy replacement. I have read many stories about the Shogun and how it made owners 'one watch man'. It is truly a good watch but nowhere near as great as the Rolex.

Its movement is nowhere near as accurate or as well finished, it does not have the similar quality shock protection system (KIF), the crown wobbles when screwed out and screws down in a much less secure system than the triplock crown. Its bezel clicks cheaply, the crystal scratches fairly easily, and the bracelet uses pins and is less comfortable or functional. The rubber strap is the worst and most uncomfy I have ever had. After sales will always be sketchy. But what did I expect in a watch costing so much less than a 14060M?

I have now been scouring the latest Basel offerings and I think I may have finally found a worthy replacement for the 14060M. In the shape of the new Pelagos with MT5612 in house movement. 30mm+ diameter, 6mm+ thick (robust anyone?) Full balance bridge, free sprung balance, Amagnetic Si hairspring 28,800 beat rate, 70 hours PR in a solid, light Titanium well finished package. I think that this will be a steal at that price for the quality you get and can possibly make me a 1 watch man. The ONLY thing I wish they kept was the superior KIF shock protection.

So after this long rant I have a few questions I hope you could help me with...

- Do you consider the new in house movement as superior to the heavily reworked, exquisitely finished and very capable Tudor 2824 movement?
    - When will this watch be available at ADs?
    - Do you think the 'old' version produced for such a short time be considered a collectible so would be a better buy?

I am looking forward to this one...finally may the 14060M loss be put to rest. Ooh and feel free to suggest any new great Basel offerings up to 3000 Euros I might have missed that fits my tastes above....

Just get the 14060 if that's what you really want. The Pelagos doesn't deserve to be a 'settle-for' watch - it's not a poor man's Sub, nor is it trying to be. Leave the Pelagos for those who love the Pelagos.

Craftsman
    I have been thinking the same about the new pelagos - ticks a lot o boxes for me. One thing to think about is that the new movement is a bit thicker than the 2824 so the new watch might be thicker than the old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I have been thinking the same about the new pelagos - ticks a lot o boxes for me. One thing to think about is that the new movement is a bit thicker than the 2824 so the new watch might be thicker than the old.
    I've read that its the exact same case. Different caseback though, which might make it sit slightly higher...but still its very small change judging by the photos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Just get the 14060 if that's what you really want. The Pelagos doesn't deserve to be a 'settle-for' watch - it's not a poor man's Sub, nor is it trying to be. Leave the Pelagos for those who love the Pelagos.
    Nah I wont pay that sort of money for a 14060M today. Dont get me wrong I like the Pelagos in its own right. Who knows might like it more than the 14060M in the end....

I've tried on a pelagos recently and it's not a comparable size to a 14060M. It is light but a lot bigger picture in every dimension.

possibly unpopular opinion but i would buy the north flag over the pelagos if i was looking at tudor

I know everyone has whined about the extra text on the dial but for me that might work - the watch had a very large and empty dial - this might make it look less huge...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I know everyone has whined about the extra text on the dial but for me that might work - the watch had a very large and empty dial - this might make it look less huge...
    yepp my thoughts too...and the text uses tiny font so wont be an issue in my eyes...apart from that the complete removal of the 3 o clock marker makes the dial much cleaner. This has not been mentioned. rolex always does away with it on all their models. I dont like it on any of my watches eg. the SMP-c...

I think you should bite the bullet and buy another 14060M........if it is what you really what then why worry about the price issues? You will simply be wasting even more money buying cheaper replacements that you ultimately flip.......