closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage JLC service in London

Journeyman

Vintage JLC service in London

All,

As I was peacefully winding my vintage JLC Master Control this morning as something terrible happened: my watch lingo is limited so let's just say that whatever is used to wind the watch "snapped".. Ie the crown is still in place, but whatever is in there is no longer what it should be. Bought the watch used a few years ago and do not know service history, but it has been ticking on perfectly ever since and did not show any signs of "wearing out". Must also defend myself by saying I was not pushing it, it was in the middle of a regular winding..

So, to my question. Would anyone be able to give me some recommendations in regards to where I should bring my watch, in central London?
    Also, any indication as to what the price I could expect for this (believe a full service could be useful) would be?

Many thanks!

E

Master
    When you say 'vintage', how old is it? I'm not sure I'll have the answer (beyond, send it into JLC via an AD) but others who may will get a better idea once they know that.

Master
    I can recommend the little yellow watch shop in Clerkenwell. Really lovely husband/wife store, very reasonable and honest prices for everything. Great to deal with. Usually has a few interesting watches in the window too - I bought a speedy there.

http://www.watchservicecentreclerkenwell.co.uk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    When you say 'vintage', how old is it? I'm not sure I'll have the answer (beyond, send it into JLC via an AD) but others who may will get a better idea once they know that.
    It's got 1957 engraved on the case back so assuming it is from back then. That's something I'd raise during a potential service, however.

Grand Master
    This is almost certainly a broken mainspring. These things have a finite life and eventually they fatigue and snap. Unfortunately, JLC parts aren't generally available although it's likely that a generic mainspring can be sourced.

Not sure who will be willing to work on this, (it's definitely not one for me), why not contact Dom on this forum, he's in the trade and he may be able to help.

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I can recommend the little yellow watch shop in Clerkenwell. Really lovely husband/wife store, very reasonable and honest prices for everything. Great to deal with. Usually has a few interesting watches in the window too - I bought a speedy there.

http://www.watchservicecentreclerkenwell.co.uk
    Thanks! Wouldn't mind going there, but think that their limited opening hours could post an issue (pretty much must be a place to which I can go at least on a Saturday?).

I'd go directly to JLC for this. It may be more expensive but I'd say it's worth it. There's a JLC boutique on Old Bond Street.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    I'd go directly to JLC for this. It may be more expensive but I'd say it's worth it. There's a JLC boutique on Old Bond Street.
    This is bad advice. JLC charges silly money for repairing vintage watches. They also have a habit of finding more to repair than you would initially expect. If they can they change dialand hands and what not. The watch is also sent to Switzerland

Unless this is a priced family heirloom it is not worth it, and even then you have better options.

To change a mainspring on this should be fairly easy.

I don't agree that it's bad advice. I'd rather give advice that is more expensive than rubbish someone else's suggestion without providing an alternative...

If you want a less expensive option you could try Steven Hale Watches in Mayfair (SHWC) - www.watchrestoration.co.uk. They take ages to do the work however. I believe they still do the majority of the work for Somlo Antiques in the Burlington Arcade.

I don't agree that it's bad advice. I'd rather give advice that is more expensive than rubbish someone else's suggestion without providing an alternative...

If you want a less expensive option you could try Steven Hale Watches in Mayfair (SHWC) - www.watchrestoration.co.uk. They take ages to do the work however. I believe they still do the majority of the work for Somlo Antiques in the Burlington Arcade.
    I can certainly provide a better alternative.

The OP can PM me if he wants to.

Grand Master
    Horses for courses.......fine if you've got very deep pockets! Scope for this to cost a LOT of money taking that route.

What does the owner really want? If he wants the timekeeping as good as it was when the watch was new, and the watc h looking like brand new, then it could prove costly. However, most vintage owners are prepared to compromise a little; accepting a bit more latitude in performance can save a lot of money and in most cases the watch can still satisfy the owner's requirements. With a new mainspring and complete stripdown, clean /re-oil this watch will probably run reliably unless something's very worn. Amplitude may be a bit down compared to new and positional variation will almost certainly be a bit wider, but in everyday use this will barely make a difference to the owner's perception of how the watch is performing. This can be achieved at relatively modest cost and that's what I`d strongly advise. I would only get into big spending if it was shown that the watch really did need parts replacing.

It's a judgement call with old watches, and a trusted repairer will listen to what the owner really wants and advise accordingly. Sending a watch like this to JLC will guarantee a top-notch outcome but it'll definitely be expensive; customer satisfaction may be available at a much more modest cost.

Thesedays I stick to what I'm familiar with. I know nothing about vintage JLCs, I don`t have a stash of second-hand parts, and I`ve no idea who to ask if I needed them, so I wouldn`t be prepared to get involved on this one. However, I`m sure there are plenty of professional repairers out there who would be happy to sort it provided a mainspring can be sourced. The watch will almost certainly need posting away to someone, that's the only drawback.

Paul

Master
    Having had the experience of sending a vintage watch back to JLC for a service I can advise that it is very expensive and can take a long time.

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the input, much appreciated.

Whilst I really do like the watch, I do not think it is one that I would spend an excessive amount of money on to get it absolutely 100% perfect. I would of course want it working in an acceptable fashion, but no need for more than that - so probably a full-blown official JLC service could be avoided.
    I'll potentially make my way down Steven Hale - closed on weekends though!

@Even neve: PM to follow.

Thanks again

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    This is almost certainly a broken mainspring. These things have a finite life and eventually they fatigue and snap. Unfortunately, JLC parts aren't generally available although it's likely that a generic mainspring can be sourced.

Not sure who will be willing to work on this, (it's definitely not one for me), why not contact Dom on this forum, he's in the trade and he may be able to help.

Paul
    May I ask who "Dom" is (seems to be a few hits if I search on users)? Sorry if I'm supposed to know - but haven't spent too much time on the forum outside of regular checks on SC!

Craftsman
    Can recommend West Repairs who fixed up a 1960s k881 auto for me .. (Needed new stem and service)

JLC directly will be acheingly expensive as noted above - plus will take many months ..

Cheers
    al

Speak to Mark or Vanessa at http://www.clock-watches.co.uk/who-are-Antique-&-Modern … East Barnet Village and free parking nearby.

dunk

Craftsman
    JLC will be very good quality but extremely expensive and you may not see your watch for a year. I took mine to Steve Hale www.watchrestoration.co.uk/contact-us who, incidentally, was recommended by a chap from JLC. I was more than happy with the result.