closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: big difference in fit of PRS-14 vs PRS-5?

Craftsman

big difference in fit of PRS-14 vs PRS-5?

the PRS-5 fits my 171mm wrist very nicely. Now there is a chance to buy a PRS-14 and the watch seems to be somewhat in size, although heavier. Anyone know how the actual feel/look on the wrist compares between these?
    Thanks

The PRS-14 isn't a heavy watch at all, in fact I sold mine as I thought that it felt a little cheap (I await the barrage of abuse). In relation to the PRS-5 it's got a wider case and is flatter as the 5 is a rather high watch.

I currently have a PRS-3 and wouldn't swap it for a 14.

David

Craftsman
    the specs indicate the prs-14 is heavier at 90gr vs. 60 for the 5 (if I read it right)

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The PRS-14 isn't a heavy watch at all, in fact I sold mine as I thought that it felt a little cheap (I await the barrage of abuse). In relation to the PRS-5 it's got a wider case and is flatter as the 5 is a rather high watch.

I currently have a PRS-3 and wouldn't swap it for a 14.

David
    I have to disagree! And I normally agree with everything you say David :-)

Especially on the cheap comment... I think the 14 is a solid beast, admittedly though you have to baby the crown which feels a little small in relation to the case. Also, worrying about the cross threading tales. I which it had a crown like the PRS82.

I would say without doubt the 14 is heavier feeling like a solid lump of metal. The 5 sits taller due to the high crystal (even higher with a display back) but the crystal is what give the 5 a lot of its shape and that obviously is quiet light keeping the weight down.

Wrist shots on a 6.75 inch.

I'll write more in a bit but the cat is driving me mad wanting his breakfast!
    Last edited by OliverCD; 30th March 2015 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    looks like a lot of wrist presence there. PRS-14 is incoming now so let's see in a few days. (buying it in US where it is quite dear)
    I realized it is probably similar to the vintage Speedmaster that I am very familiar with. It may wear a bit smaller though cuz the bezel is larger than the Speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The PRS-14 isn't a heavy watch at all, in fact I sold mine as I thought that it felt a little cheap
    That's the same conclusion I've reached. Compared to my PRS 82 it feels like it came out of a Xmas cracker

Craftsman
    ^
    I can't imagine this to be the case when the PRS – 82 is only listed at 98 g including the strap and buckle.

Nothing to do with weight and everything to do with finish.

Craftsman
    got it.

Now there is one odd thing with the PRS14 – which I can only put down to the effect of the crystal – which is that the hands often look 'plastic made to look like metal' rather than just metal. I have no idea why… could even be the way they catch the light.

I would be happy to pull that particular cracker. The 14 is shiny and the acrylic enhances that perception for me. My memory of watches from the period when the 14 was current is that they were all highly polished and that was that. Must have been some exceptions but memory is a selective beast.

Anyway, I think the shine and acrylic contribute to the "less substantial" impression, but that is all it is. An impression. Seems like a bit of a lump to me.