closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clocked my very first GS, in the flesh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I happen to know Petrus a bit better, an can assure you that there's nothing exposed and there's probably some envy about the life he lives.

If he talks nonsense about watches, expose him, or put him in his place if you want to, but this obsession with his personal life by the "forum police" and finding him out is even more creepy.

BTW, I REALLY liked that fart in a spacesuit joke, made me laugh.

Daddel.
    What I find creepy is just how much you rush defend Petrus at every opportunity. Seriously, do you have some not so secret man crush on him or something??? The guy has shown time and time again he could care less what others think and seems to be enjoying his works of fiction and continues to do so. I really don't think he requires you coming to his defence like a knight in shining armour every time someone take a pop at him (although I'm sure he could write a nice romantic post about it...!! :D).

Bo!ox to rolex enjoy what you have ! Only 75% of non watch loving people have any clue to brand names anyways !

Clocked my very first GS, in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    The guy has shown time and time again he could care less what others think
    I say, my good man, you aren't from across the herring pond, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Meanwhile I have showered, smartened up and am enjoying a cool ´summer´ evening on the terrace of a Venta up the road, cicades singing in the background:
    Very enjoyable wine (the c-company will be driving), excellent tapas, stainless steel GS and the knowledge that several drinks and satisfying bites will still add up to only 25 Euros for the two, which my driver will pay for...
    Yes, good associations again. Sorry for that.
    Signing off to give my undevided attention to the lady who has just returned from a chat with a builder she sorts permissions out for.

Sounds boring.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Sounds boring.
    I know I should leave well alone, but I have to say - that made me laugh.

Blog Entries
    What I find creepy is just how much you rush defend Petrus at every opportunity. Seriously, do you have some not so secret man crush on him or something??? The guy has shown time and time again he could care less what others think and seems to be enjoying his works of fiction and continues to do so. I really don't think he requires you coming to his defence like a knight in shining armour every time someone take a pop at him (although I'm sure he could write a nice romantic post about it...!! :D).
    And if I did have a "man crush" on him, what's it to you? Or is your old fashioned macho mind not capable of dealing with such facts?

Or go and read posts about someone putting some new "shoes" on his watch or "which watch should I keep" if that tickles your fancy.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

As loath as I am to add to this poor example of a thread, I saw my first GS in the wild last week, I was at a exhibition in Manchester ( Surgeons and industry ) and a Sales Director of our main supplier came along from Germany, I caught a few glimpses of his watch and thought I knew, so eventually, at a quiet time ( and when no one else was around ! ) I asked him,
    'is that a Seiko?'
    'yes'
    'is that a Grand Seiko?'
    'yes' ( and looked a little surprised )
    'Is it a Spring Drive'
    'Yes' with a smile..
    'Can I have a look?'

So, it was the Spring Drive Snowflake dial as seen in my very poor iphone pic below, the dial is truly lovely and will go down as a modern classic, the quality of the watch head is sublime, the sweep, the hands everything feels and looks amazing, the bracelet was a bit surprising, I know its Ti and its supposed to feel light, but it felt very light and as such came across as a bit flimsy, im sure it wasnt and its a inherent part of Ti ness.
    The interesting thing for me was our chat about it, he isnt a wis, not even close, he chose it because he loved the dial, he was interested in the tech of the movement and he also chose it because in his own words it looks like a $100 Seiko and he can wear it anywhere in the world at no risk, he travels a lot...
    It was a beautiful watch...

Master
    And if I did have a "man crush" on him, what's it to you? Or is your old fashioned macho mind not capable of dealing with such facts?

Or go and read posts about someone putting some new "shoes" on his watch or "which watch should I keep" if that tickles your fancy.

Daddel.
    Honestly I'd be very happy for you both if that's the path you wish to peruse, I'm sure you'd make a lovely couple (or at least, an addition to his legion of many many lovers).

Getting back on track that GS Snowflake is a beauty. I was lucky enough to own one but ended up selling it.....one of many watch related regrets I have.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

in his own words it looks like a $100 Seiko
    It certainly does. And if the logic with these GS is that not even robbers would recognize it as nothing else than a cheap watch, it sounds a bit daft. This "flying below the radar" shit has all of the emperor and his new clothes in it.

A cheap watchbrand makes an overpriced watch, and what's good with it is that noone will notice, or even better, think it is a cheap watch.

You don't pay extra for that if you are in your right mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    It certainly does. And if the logic with these GS is that not even robbers would recognize it as nothing else than a cheap watch, it sounds a bit daft. This "flying below the radar" shit has all of the emperor and his new clothes in it.

A cheap watchbrand makes an overpriced watch, and what's good with it is that noone will notice, or even better, think it is a cheap watch.

Hehe, some people pay extra to remove the model labels from their top end cars. ;-)

I guess it's a matter of what you know yourself than what other people think.

Getting back on track that GS Snowflake is a beauty. I was lucky enough to own one but ended up selling it.....one of many watch related regrets I have.
    I'd like to hear more please! What made you sell it? Was your perception that SD was any better (to wear) or different enough to quartz to feel special?

Master

The photos in the following link are some of the best I have seen and illustrate perfectly to me, the sheer depth and quality of the GS line. I urge you to have a look as I think it helps to explain the "under the radar" idea:

http://forum.chronomania.net/mix_ent...9#.VRlN9GbOSUd

I dont think he paid extra for it, after all he could have actually bought a $100 Seiko if he wanted to, so he must have felt that the extra $4000 went somewhere. I just found it interesting that a non wis would choose one over the usual suspects in the price range.

One doesn't wear a watch to make a statement or show off. But, it is a part of who you are.i also am mystified about this flying under the radar business. If you think what watch you are wearing is going to define you, you might think that way. But then,I would suggest you have serious self esteem issues.
    Are you worried someone is going to think you are not worthy of the watch you are wearing?
    If you are so concerned about what one thinks of you, let me tell you that the other person already has formed an impression before he saw your watch. It is like wearing ratty clothes and tattered shoes to ' fly under the radar '
    Be confident in what you wear. There is no radar to fly under. The biggest radar is in your mind. If YOU think you are worthy of the watch you are wearing, wear it without a care in the world and giving a damn what someone else thinks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    The photos in the following link are some of the best I have seen and illustrate perfectly to me, the sheer depth and quality of the GS line. I urge you to have a look as I think it helps to explain the "under the radar" idea:

http://forum.chronomania.net/mix_ent...9#.VRlN9GbOSUd
    Thanks for the link.

Wonderful pics.

Daddel.

Master

No it doesn't!
    It's a facietious and throwaway comment, from someone who probably doesn't even know what a $100 Seiko looks like.
    He's banking on the fact it says Seiko on the dial that it'll be overlooked as worth bothering with in the event of ever being accosted by unsavoury individuals.
    If he thought it was no better than a $100 model, he'd have never paid anything remotely like the price he did.
    He most certainly hasn't just accidentally wander into one of the few GS ADs in Germany, and walked out quite a few grand lighter in the rear pocket, thanks to some slick sales pitch about it being an expensive watch that he'll not get mugged for, when he's next visiting Timbuktu!
    Last edited by PJ S; 30th March 2015 at 15:05.

I hasten to add that Hans never used the phrase 'flying under the radar' at all, Im not sure how that ended up in quotes, wasn't from me!

Master
    Thanks for the link.

Wonderful pics.

Daddel.
    Yes, he really has managed to capture the quality and glow of the dials and polishing, which is not an easy task.

Just came across these and I rather like the SBGH037.

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2015/03/...ing-drive.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I'd like to hear more please! What made you sell it? Was your perception that SD was any better (to wear) or different enough to quartz to feel special?
    I used to be a bit of a serial flipper and unfortunately this one had to go to make room for something else I was chasing at the time. I've had quite a few Spring Drives and Grand Seiko's (some were actually Grand Seiko Spring Drives :-) ). It was a really nice looking watch with a fantastic looking dial however I didn't think it was "Ł5k nice" and for that money there are other watches I would chose to buy instead of it.

I quite like the spring drive movement, as someone who hates seconds hands not hitting the markers it eliminates that problem and watching the seconds hand go around smoothly and silently is quite hypnotic. However, not long after this I got one of the Grand Seiko Hi Beat 36000 with white dial and this just felt more "right". I'm not one of those poetic "a mechanical watch has a soul" types but the Hi Beat movement just felt nicer...I can't quite describe it. On the dial alone though, the Snowflake is one of the nicest I've seen and if they done that dial in a watch with a Hi Beat movement at a lower price I'd say it was an almost perfect combination for me

Master
    Just to add to what others have said, I don't wear a watch to show off or fly under any radars. If I think I'm going to be in an area I'm not too sure about I might choose to wear a cheaper watch as opposed to something instantly recognisable like a Rolex Sub and reduce the chances of making myself a "target" but I don't get this concept of "buy a watch that looks cheap but it actually costs loads".......if it looks cheap you're better off just buying a cheap watch surely?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    "buy a watch that looks cheap but it actually costs loads".......if it looks cheap you're better off just buying a cheap watch surely?
    Interesting that for you understated, not bling, not widely recognised, under the social sensitivity radar; not ostentatious equals looking cheap.

Imo not ostentatious is just that, but it would be quite ok with me if the majority would see it your cheap looking way.

In general the dial of the GS is a good example of understated quality. It will probably be a dull simple dial for any casual onlooker but for the one looking at the time on the wrist the quality pleases the eye.

Master
    Interesting that for you understated, not bling, not widely recognised, under the social sensitivity radar; not ostentatious equals looking cheap.

Imo not ostentatious is just that, but it would be quite ok with me if the majority would see it your cheap looking way.

In general the dial of the GS is a good example of understated quality. It will probably be a dull simple dial for any casual onlooker but for the one looking at the time on the wrist the quality pleases the eye.
    I think you've either misunderstood me or have taken what I wrote out of context (or maybe I haven't explained myself correctly). This isn't my view at all and in fact i said i DON'T get this concept, I was referring to previous posts where it's been suggested people like Grand Seiko because they look cheap even though they are expensive. My H Moser & Cie is certainly not blingy, not widely recognized, is under the social sensitivity radar and is anything but ostentatious however doesn't look cheap if you give it anything more than a passing glance. I still wouldn't wear this anywhere I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something more recognisable though, if I'm in an area like that I would just wear a cheap watch.

I completely agree with you (shock, horror :-)!!) about the GS dials, I've owned several GS's as I said and the dials have always been really nice with the Snowflake being the nicest (imho). But I never bought them because I thought the watch looked cheap which I think was the implication about why people buy GS's?
    Last edited by SIB; 30th March 2015 at 16:39.

I've got four GS, three of them Spring Drive. Before I bought it I thought the Snowflake would be my least favourite. So I didn't buy a new one, I bought it from a forum member on SC for just over Ł3k as I recall. But I wasn't ready to be so knocked out by this watch! The whole watch is fabulous, the bright Titanium case and bracelet is beautiful, and add in the stunning Snowflake dial, it just blows me away. You need to hold it in your hand, and strap it on your wrist. Whatever anyone says... this is gorgeous.

Oh and did I mention the elegant hands. The blue second hand is mesmerising in it's perfect sweep of the Spring Drive movement.
    Last edited by Jim W; 30th March 2015 at 16:51.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I've got four GS, three of them Spring Drive. Before I bought it I thought the Snowflake would be my least favourite. So I didn't buy a new one, I bought it from a forum member on SC for just over Ł3k as I recall. But I wasn't ready to be so knocked out by this watch! The whole watch is fabulous, the bright Titanium case and bracelet is beautiful, and add in the stunning Snowflake dial, it just blows me away. You need to hold it in your hand, and strap it on your wrist. Whatever anyone says... this is gorgeous.

Oh and did I mention the elegant hands. The blue second hand is mesmerising in it's perfect sweep of the Spring Drive movement.
    Does the Snowflake share a case with any other GS?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Not that I am aware of. Perhaps others on here will correct me on that.

The case is lovely, there are 3 ( ? ) bevels to the lug edges that look great.. It's definitely one to see in real life to appreciate..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Style wise, yes (iirc), but only a few models are treated to titanium, all of which are Spring Drives.

On a separate note, the new 62GS-inspired Spring Drive models (SBGA125 and 127) are titanium, and there's a new Ltd Edition (600 or 700 pieces) Hi-Beat with a burgundy-brown dial – SBGH039. The silver dial SBGH037 is limited to 1000 pieces.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-se...tomatics-1967/
    http://www.azfinetime.com/azft/blog/...a127-hands-on/
    http://www.azfinetime.com/azft/blog/grand-seiko-62gs-hibeat-sbgh039-limited-edition-hands-on/

http://www.jw-oomiya.co.jp/sihh-base...#12463;-2.html

Last edited by PJ S; 30th March 2015 at 17:26.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The case is lovely, there are 3 ( ? ) bevels to the lug edges that look great.. It's definitely one to see in real life to appreciate..
    It might just be Jimbo's photos, but it looks a little flat and two dimensional compared to this one selling on Breitling source, while the dial is not to my taste, the case design and crystal look good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Style wise, yes (iirc), but only a few models are treated to titanium, all of which are Spring Drives.

That case and bracelet style does appeal to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But I never bought them because I thought the watch looked cheap which I think was the implication about why people buy GS's?
    So you DO confuse them looking cheap in your eyes with the high quality being not ostentatious which motivates buyers?!

Never mind. So be it whatever the case.
    The point is that they are overlooked and as such the wearer not subjected to any unwanted attention because of a friggin´ mere watch

I have the same with the two ´crap digitals´ I like wearing most. The SDGA and the Ventura RX. I lóve them and think it a bonus that they are seen as cheap crap by most of the world. Well actually, as digitals they are probably not even registered by all but a few.
    Now the RX has actually some very sweet romantic memories attached as two dates díd notice it as a high quality watch and commented on it. One had quite a weakness for higher end watches herself and took me to all Veblen watch shops in Granada. Also the more generic female weakness for shoes, so we also went on a shoe shopping date and boy was THAT fun. The shoes she selected for me are still my two favorite summer ´loafers´.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    One doesn't wear a watch to make a statement or show off. But, it is a part of who you are.i also am mystified about this flying under the radar business. If you think what watch you are wearing is going to define you, you might think that way. But then,I would suggest you have serious self esteem issues.
    Are you worried someone is going to think you are not worthy of the watch you are wearing?
    If you are so concerned about what one thinks of you, let me tell you that the other person already has formed an impression before he saw your watch. It is like wearing ratty clothes and tattered shoes to ' fly under the radar '
    Be confident in what you wear. There is no radar to fly under. The biggest radar is in your mind. If YOU think you are worthy of the watch you are wearing, wear it without a care in the world and giving a damn what someone else thinks.
    Interesting sentiments, but I dont think liking the odd GS has anything to do with a lack of confidence or self esteem! The 'under the radar' thing people speak of is just the idea that you can sometimes enjoy wearing an expensive watch that isn't shouting to anyone within range, 'look at my expensive watch!' I think we can all agree that wearing a yellow gold day-date might be quite a loud statement and hard to miss on a night down the pub. A GS is at the other end of the scale. It's just an option, on a range from quiet luxury to loud luxury. They all have their moments. You don't always need to drive around in an orange Lambo, even if you can afford to.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 30th March 2015 at 17:45.

Master
    So you DO confuse them looking cheap in your eyes with the high quality being not ostentatious which motivates buyers?!
    Again, you've either misunderstood me or I'm not making myself clear. Just for clarity, I DO NOT THINK GRAND SEIKO WATCHES LOOK CHEAP. I was meaning, I bought the Grand Seiko watches I did because i liked them.....I did not buy them because I wanted to fly under the radar with a cheap looking watch....because I don't think they are a cheap looking watch.....I hope that clears up the misunderstanding somewhat? I guess you're possibly confused because actually I'm in agreement with you??

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Interesting sentiments, but I dont think liking the odd GS has anything to do with a lack of confidence or self esteem! The 'under the radar' thing people speak of is just the idea that you can sometimes enjoy wearing an expensive watch that isn't shouting to anyone within range, 'look at my expensive watch!' I think we can all agree that wearing a yellow gold day-date might be quite a loud statement and hard to miss on a night down the pub. A GS is at the other end of the scale. It's just an option, on a range from quiet luxury to loud luxury. They all have their moments. You don't always need to drive around in an orange Lambo, even if you can afford to.
    You probably didn't read what I said carefully or completely. Liking a non showy or a non ostentatious watch is not the issue but choosing something so that one can fly under the radar. It is not about driving in an orange lambo or wearing a gold watch. Wear whatever you want Be it showy or understated or whatever. But not because you are trying to dodge an illusive radar. One can prefer quiet luxury or loud. Not the issue. It is the concern about drawing attention or what someone thinks of you. Wear whatever you want but do it for yourself. Neither to draw attention or avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Yes, he really has managed to capture the quality .............. which is not an easy task.
    No it can't be easy.

Three things I would like to add.

The many repititons here about the "quality", and the "feel" of this Seiko is because if you have bought a Seiko for Rolex money you really really have to justify yourself. And it helps to hear other say/write it too I guess. To some it seems quality is that it is well polished, has a bevelled case, or that the seconds hand "float" and "hit the markers". Well spent money lads.

The "under the radar" or "discreteness" of the thing is in my eyes in fact a substandard design effort. It's desperately low key, to be stylish without being flashy is not easy and Seiko has in a their own way missed it totally, first and foremost by writing SEIKO on it. There is no art in this design either, it looks like the best design a team of middle aged engineers could make. And maybe that is were the market is too.

Brand is important. Like it or not, it is. Otherwise we all would be wearing "Grand Casios" and be out of work in the arse end of EU, we all know we don't need a wristwatch. Here is a brand trying to be all over. Seiko is 50gbp and 5000gbp, at the same time, with the same name on the dial. It is not a good idea. Even Toyota has a different name for their "luxury" line.

Master
    ...It is the concern about drawing attention or what someone thinks of you. Wear whatever you want but do it for yourself. Neither to draw attention or avoid it.
    You could decide to walk around stark naked, neither to draw attention or to avoid it, but just for yourself! But sadly it wouldn't work out that way.

Maybe you missed the "fart in a spacesuit" post...

-flugzeit

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    You could decide to walk around stark naked, neither to draw attention or to avoid it, but just for yourself! But sadly it wouldn't work out that way.
    Seems we have moved beyond logical and reasonable arguments. Sad really.

Master
    Seems we have moved beyond logical and reasonable arguments. Sad really.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Blog Entries
    Maybe we should shut up about what we buy and just enjoy our watches in silence.

All the arguments for buying a watch, any watch, are ludicrous anyway, but then again, we couldn't keep this place going.

And let Seiko do what it does best, earning money and making a profit, they don't need advice from so called WIS to prosper.

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 31st March 2015 at 09:07.

You probably didn't read what I said carefully or completely. Liking a non showy or a non ostentatious watch is not the issue but choosing something so that one can fly under the radar. It is not about driving in an orange lambo or wearing a gold watch. Wear whatever you want Be it showy or understated or whatever. But not because you are trying to dodge an illusive radar. One can prefer quiet luxury or loud. Not the issue. It is the concern about drawing attention or what someone thinks of you. Wear whatever you want but do it for yourself. Neither to draw attention or avoid it.
    You're wasted here mate, you should be on some sort of lifestyle advice forum.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I thought it was, only that the whole lifestyle is lived out and expressed through a peice of metal/or plastic on the wrist. It has added value and everything, and can give you an approximate idea what time it is.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Oops, sorry.my bad. I thought this was another lifestyle forum where I strictly participate in advisory capacity. It's called -Limp wristed knitting grannies trying to stay under the radar 😄😄
    Just kidding. No offense meant.

Oops, sorry.my bad. I thought this was another lifestyle forum where I strictly participate in advisory capacity. It's called -Limp wristed knitting grannies trying to stay under the radar 😄😄
    Just kidding. No offense meant.
    Good Reply!

Master
    No it can't be easy.

The many repititons here about the "quality", and the "feel" of this Seiko is because if you have bought a Seiko for Rolex money you really really have to justify yourself. And it helps to hear other say/write it too I guess. To some it seems quality is that it is well polished, has a bevelled case, or that the seconds hand "float" and "hit the markers". Well spent money lads.

The "under the radar" or "discreteness" of the thing is in my eyes in fact a substandard design effort. It's desperately low key, to be stylish without being flashy is not easy and Seiko has in a their own way missed it totally, first and foremost by writing SEIKO on it. There is no art in this design either, it looks like the best design a team of middle aged engineers could make. And maybe that is were the market is too.

Brand is important. Like it or not, it is. Otherwise we all would be wearing "Grand Casios" and be out of work in the arse end of EU, we all know we don't need a wristwatch. Here is a brand trying to be all over. Seiko is 50gbp and 5000gbp, at the same time, with the same name on the dial. It is not a good idea. Even Toyota has a different name for their "luxury" line.
    The most predictable answer so far regarding GS and what a surprise, another Rolex comparison

Blog Entries
    Here is a brand trying to be all over. Seiko is 50gbp and 5000gbp, at the same time, with the same name on the dial. It is not a good idea.
    It seems to work well for them. :-)

^^^^
    Does it though? limited ADs, low volume sales, unless of course Seiko use GS as a halo product, where losses are expected

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    ^^^^
    Does it though? limited ADs, low volume sales
    Yes, it certainly looks like it works well for them. Sales are low volume because production is low volume, and there are good[1] reasons for that.

A limited AD network does not seem to me to necessarily be an indicator of lack of success.

Selling all you can make is generally perceived to be a good thing. Seiko is not known in general for being an unsuccessful watch company and GS seems to fit well in a particular niche within their overall product range.

Footnote:-
    1: "Good" is of course subjective. What I think is "good" may well be perceived to be a sign of horrific failure by others. <shrug> Each to his own.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st March 2015 at 10:29.

No it can't be easy.

Opinion is one thing - we all have them - but you've made some comments on this thread that demonstrate a compete ignorance of the brand... yet still you continue to add "noise" as if you come from an informed position. Why (and why are your posts so consistently bellicose)?

FWIW, I've had many GS's, vintage and modern. There's simply no doubting the quality, which is evident as soon as you handle them. Fit and finish is nothing short of wonderful, timekeeping on all of mine has been excellent, and they exude quality without having to shout about it. There's nothing "cheap" about them, and I suggest that you endeavour to handle one in order to achieve even a basic understanding of what they're about.

Mine...

Last edited by learningtofly; 31st March 2015 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, it certainly looks like it works well for them. Sales are low volume because production is low volume, and there are good[1] reasons for that.
    reasons being either low volume to keep exclusivity, or low volume because they wouldn't be able to sell more
    A limited AD network does not seem to me to necessarily be an indicator of lack of success.
    True, but does limit sales, of course this can be by design.
    Selling all you can make is generally perceived to be a good thing. Seiko is not known in general for being an unsuccessful watch company and GS seems to fit well in a particular niche within their overall product range.
    Yeah, they do ok ;)

Footnote:-
    1: "Good" is of course subjective. What I think is "good" may well be perceived to be a sign of horrific failure by others. <shrug> Each to his own.
    in this context it is not subjective, as it can be measured, either outright profit or a halo product designed to bring brand attention, depending on the business model used

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Opinion is one thing - we all have them - but you've made some comments on this thread that demonstrate a compete ignorance of the brand... yet still you continue to add "noise" as if you come from in informed position. Why (and why are your posts so consistently bellicose)?

FWIW, I've had many GS's, vintage and modern. There's simply no doubting the quality, which is evident as soon as you handle them. Fit and finish is nothing short of wonderful, timekeeping on all of mine has been excellent, and they exude quality without having to shout about it. There's nothing "cheap" about them, and I suggest that you endeavour to handle one in order to achieve even a basic understanding of what they're about.
    Well said Tony!

I am one of the few (probably) on this forum that own both Rolex and Grand Seiko. My Rolex Day-Date is lovely, there is no doubt about that, and I wear it often. My GS SBGA011 Snowflake and SBGA031 Diver are in my opinion another step up in overall quality. They are simply stunning. I wonder how many of the brand detractors in this thread have actually held one of these in their hand? Let alone worn one on their wrist.