View Poll Results: Which to keep?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • JLC

38 65.52%
  • IWC

20 34.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One has to go - which one JLC Vs IWC?

One has to go - which one JLC Vs IWC?

One of my much reduced collection has to go to make way for something else (more later) and these are the two it has been narrowed down to. Can't decide and input is very welcome. I have taken some good advice via PM already :)

The IWC; it's big but wears well due to the black dial and lots of information. I wear it a lot and the PC function is just so, so easy to use. If the 7 Day reserve does run down, simply pull the crown out and change it. It's a quick set system that sets everything and is a wonder to behold. The moonphase is like no other out there and whenever I open the watch box, the rose gold catches the light and I'm amazed at how good looking it is. If I sell it, it would be relatively easy to replace, but I rarely go back.

The JLC; probably my best watch in terms of horology. The dual wing system chronograph, two power reserves, the foudroyante (1/6th second) hand and the level of finishing on the movement is all so very haute horologie. It's slightly smaller than the IWC at 42mm rather than 44mm but actually wears large, larger than I'd perhaps like, probably due to the off-white dial.

It should probably be quite an easy decision - I have another PC from Glashutte so do I need two? But the IWC gets worn frequently and the JLC doesn't. Maybe it just needs a new strap, in blue, as usual. Seems wrong to get rid of a watch I wear more often because the other one is 'superior' to it and I vowed the collection was all about wearing them when it was recreated. The JLC was my first true grail watch, I parted with 8-10 watches in order to get it and it was a huge effort to buy it after seeing it and trying it on in the Haute Complications room at the Manufacture in Le Sentier. Equally the IWC was no picnic to obtain as I chased it around the forum for many months, firstly trying and failing to trade with Kash and then finally breaking Java down until he sold it to me.

Quick snaps of the pair

Thoughts and any way of thinking about it that I haven't considered!?

Never tried either on but if it was me I'd have the JLC...but based on what you have said it sounds like the IWC should be the one you keep

Master
    Wow. That's a great problem to have.

For me I'd keep the JLC without a doubt - but if you don't wear it let the JLC go. I'll give you 2.5k for it so you can use RMSD ;-).

If it was me, Id keep the JLC but, as youre having thoughts about both, could it be that both should go to make way for something you are more happy with?

That's a a nice position to be in. Personally I would never let that JLC go. Even if it never got worn.

A luxury problem - but I understand it's a complex one. I'd keep the JLC but as you say change the strap.

Blog Entries
    All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not standing in your shoes..................:)

This is one of those occasions where I couln't make a choice, really.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Personally I would never let that JLC go. Even if it never got worn.
    That is kind of what I'm thinking, but flies in the face of my own rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    If it was me, Id keep the JLC but, as youre having thoughts about both, could it be that both should go to make way for something you are more happy with?
    See, that's the kind of thing I hadn't thought of. What is hopefully incoming is what I want, but I also have a craving for something else as well. That would make it achievable...

Craftsman
    Love the IWC would be great at say 40mm

I like the IWC best, personally.

M.

I think I'd wear the IWC more. You lucky s*d!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    That is kind of what I'm thinking, but flies in the face of my own rules...
    Did you get to speak with, and shake the hand of the chap that designed the IWC??

If not there's your answer.....:-)

Ps....I was there remember.........I can well recall you're reaction to handling that watch......in fact it was slightly embarrassing for the rest of us.....watching a grown man running around the room screaming like a little girl..... "I want this one I want this one" ....

In all seriousness though, I do know you, and I suspect if you do sell the JLC.....you'll regret that move down the road of life..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Never tried either on but if it was me I'd have the JLC...but based on what you have said it sounds like the IWC should be the one you keep
    What a (great/ terrible) dilemma to be in!

IMO the IWC has a nicer face, but the rear of that JLC is just amazing!

Banned
    I would keep the IWC.

Master
    The JLC may be the ultimate in horology and rarity but you have to know a bit about it in order it to fully appreciate it, so perhaps it's mainly appealing to your mind. The IWC on the other hand is all right there in front of you, one glance is all you need, perhaps it's less subtle but it has the 'wow factor'. Between that and the niggling feeling the JLC doesn't wear quite right on you - and in my experience with lesser watches that niggling feeling rarely goes away* - it sounds like you think you ought to like the JLC but you really like the IWC.

* I am going to have to qualify this. I was never 100% on the grey dial AT until I wore it with a blue jumper. Then suddenly I couldn't take it off. So maybe try on every single item in your wardrobe with it, just to be sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Did you get to speak with, and shake the hand of the chap that designed the IWC??

If not there's your answer.....:-)
    When it's put like that... it makes it far clearer. It was kind of a big deal wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The JLC may be the ultimate in horology and rarity but you have to know a bit about it in order it to fully appreciate it, so perhaps it's mainly appealing to your mind. The IWC on the other hand is all right there in front of you, one glance is all you need, perhaps it's less subtle but it has the 'wow factor'. Between that and the niggling feeling the JLC doesn't wear quite right on you - and in my experience with lesser watches that niggling feeling rarely goes away* - it sounds like you think you ought to like the JLC but you really like the IWC.
    You sir, are spot on. But, and there is always a but, see Enoch's post above.

Master
    You sir, are spot on. But, and there is always a but, see Enoch's post above.
    Yes, and he makes a very good point too. The JLC is a watch you could age gracefully wearing, less so the IWC! Good luck on a tough choice.

Banned
    Impossible to provide input until I know what is replacing one or the other of those...

Blimey... reminds me of when I was trying to decide which of my CWC or 6309 to keep

I've handled the JLC, and by coincidence tried on the IWC only a few days ago while getting some work done on one of my watches. It's a very difficult decision... but here are my thoughts on it.

I absolutely love the JLC and harbour a long term desire to buy one. However, its definitely a connoisseurs piece and in some respects may not be as wearable as the IWC. If you want this watch in your collection and the actual daily usage is not really a question then I would keep it.

In contrast, I was a bit surprised last week at how wearable the IWC was. I guess I had thought it was just too much of everything but I thought it was a very wearable watch (albeit luxurious for a 'wearer'). In comparison to the JLC it wins out in terms of wearability for me.

I think, in a way, you've already answered your own question (its not an issue of a new strap!)... but if it were me, I almost guarantee that I would also find myself not wearing the JLC. Its more of a marvel than a wearer, although in some respects a more desirable piece.

Hope that helps.

-flugzeit

I'd move the JLC on and keep the IWC, just because that Moonphase is such a beautiful thing

Your not helping that beautiful JLC with that strap combo. It'd look better with the IWC strap on it!

The IWC is not for me so I'm biased but it would have to be something very special to sell the JLC. Life's a journey though, so perhaps move on for bigger and better things?

Banned
    Keep the IWC, sell the JLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Keep the IWC, sell the JLC.
    I do think that with the incoming, the IWC might then not get another look in - hadn't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Your not helping that beautiful JLC with that strap combo. It'd look better with the IWC strap on it!
    I see your point, but it's actually a nice shade of tan rather than orange! I am however coming round to the thought that although it's a lovely custom made strap, it does the watch no favours...

Master
    I would keep the front of the IWC and the back of the JLC. See if you can saw both in half with a hacksaw!

Banned
    I do think that with the incoming, the IWC might then not get another look in - hadn't considered that.
    Depends on your attitutude to wearing "best" (assuming the incoming is of that type) - if its for special occasions only then the IWC gets worn. If not then not much point in keeping the iwc.

Master
    When it's put like that... it makes it far clearer. It was kind of a big deal wasn't it.
    You're right.....it was.......

I'll be honest with you.... Anthony and I were reminiscing about the trip just yesterday, it's 2 years since we went, and it was just fantastic....... It tells you something when Ant whose not really a massive watch guy, still talks about the whole trip, and gets excited...
    Meeting with the boss watchmaker, the hospitality we were shown, and the access we were given, everything was spot on...
    Lucky you, managed to find and buy the one watch that at the time had you mesmerised, and enthralled when it was in your hands..... You personally got to ask the chap that designed it, questions on what, why and how, and he freely explained the ethos and thinking behind his design.... And we all listened and were in awe of his skills, and attention to detail.....

Are you sure you want to give that memory away???

Ps please put the JLC back on a strap it deserves...

Master
    Two truly beautiful watches. I can well understand your dilemma DB. Though simplistic as it may be, for me it would all boil down to this:

But the IWC gets worn frequently and the JLC doesn't.

Depends on your attitutude to wearing "best" (assuming the incoming is of that type) - if its for special occasions only then the IWC gets worn. If not then not much point in keeping the iwc.
    Nope, it'll be a daily office wearer Josh, will have an outing at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Ps please put the JLC back on a strap it deserves...
    I'll have a root round in the strap box tonight. It's a pain-in-the-a*s 21mm effort...

Banned
    Nope, it'll be a daily office wearer Josh, will have an outing at least once a week.
    Right. Then keep the JLC.

You can more easily replace the IWC in the future than the JLC in any event should you have a change of mind.

I would keep that IWC- a simply wonderful piece. Not that JLC is shabby in any way.

Journeyman
    fantastic watches...

with watches in this league, for me it more about horology and less about wearability...
    JLC all the way for me...

and BTW - that IWC is just too big... the day they come with 40 mm dress watches, then they are allowed to play again

You can more easily replace the IWC in the future than the JLC in any event should you have a change of mind.
    Yeah. That was the first piece of advice I got last night and it stands true.

Decision made then.

Yeah. That was the first piece of advice I got last night and it stands true.

Decision made then.
    Lucky I read the thread before posting and some common sense has been achieved!

Both are fantastic but the JLC is a touch more special and I agree harder to replace. It's possibly a 'grail' for me at some point if I ever severely reduce the collection (and sadly no funds to buy either from you this time!)

Now spill the beans with the incoming ;)

Some time ago I would have said keep the JLC. That was a time when I collected watches for what they were or represented, rather than as something to be worn. Now I tend to worry a lot less about which watches should be in my collection (e.g., based on iconic status, craftsmanship, uniqueness, etc.), and more about the ones that I actually put on my wrist and enjoy looking at day in and day out. So, on that basis, I would keep the IWC.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Now spill the beans with the incoming ;)
    I'm meeting with the seller for a look at it on Thursday and if it's a go, I will report back :)

Journeyman
    Really tough call, but for me the colours and face of that IWC just make it the one to keep. Both gorgeous though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_dragon View Post
    Really tough call, but for me the colours and face of that IWC just make it the one to keep. Both gorgeous though.
    So true. Dark blue face watches are one of my vices

Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    So true. Dark blue face watches are one of my vices
    It's black! The blue hue is just the anti-reflective coating.

I'm meeting with the seller for a look at it on Thursday and if it's a go, I will report back :)
    All the best with the deal!

Journeyman
    The JLC is my favorite but if you wear the IWC then that's the one you should keep. I never have an easy time letting one go. Usually I consider what I got coming and decide if it replaces what I already have.

Apprentice
    Wow, they are both really beautiful watches! Aesthetically i'd say the IWC has it from the dial perspective, but the JLC movement wins on visuals through the caseback. Can you give us a hint as to what you are looking to replace whichever one goes with?

Personally I'm a JLC fan over IWC, but would struggle with the 44mm size of the IWC so id expect the decision would be made for me.

Nice problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by crichtonjpa View Post
    Can you give us a hint as to what you are looking to replace whichever one goes with?
    Another moonphase in precious metal!

Master
    I love the Duometre. But this about you.

I recall you saying on several occasions that you have shifted away from 'box ticking collecting' to buying what you actually wear. That is your answer. You wear the IWC, so keep it.

Must be something pretty special coming in.

Talking

I've tried the IWC on and it's lovely. Something I would love to own.
    These sort of decisions are always tough, especially if you like the watches for different reasons.
    My vote would be the IWC. Soooooo nice

Keep the IWC. I get the sense that the JLC would be the 'horologist' choice but for me the IWC is the more modern/better looking.