closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New LE MM300 (SBDX012). Thoughts on value.......

Apprentice

New LE MM300 (SBDX012). Thoughts on value.......

So I know you don't have crystal balls but I was just wondering where you thought values of the LE MM300 would be in say 9 - 12 months?

On release Seiya had them at a landed price to the UK of approx £1800.00 which included duty. As the main players sold out almost immediately, prices were on the increase and several Japanese sellers had them for sale at $2500.00. These have now increased to north of $3000.00 (some as high as $3800 on chrono24/ ebay etc and look to have sold according to sold listings) and even second hand values of the ones I have seen on WUS hover around $2400 - $2600 before being snaffled quite quickly.

I was looking to add one to the collection later this year but fear values will rise and I'll kick myself for not buying sooner. Limited to 1000 units I guess demand will always be relatively strong and I'm sure they will never go back down to launch prices, but will the price level out or continue to rise similar to say the SBDX003?

TIA.

No expert on Seiko but from my experience, whenever a limited edition is brought out, there's a spike in the price as everyone scrambles about trying to pick one up and then when demand is initially satisfied, it all levels out again.

Malc

They do seem to be creeping up in price already as stock is depleting, I'd say get one sooner rather than later while you can and before the price goes up more.

I was lucky to get one from Seiya which cost me £1850 after all the customs fees and I've put it away for my 40th birthday next year.

Got mine from an AD at 20% discount.
    No idea where they may go in price, just happy I could source one.

Mark

I was in a very similar place tbh. I missed out on the release prices and found all the main dealers had sold out. Shopping in Japan had a few on ebay at $2800.00 and were the cheapest I could find, but after going to them direct they confirmed they had six in stock and the price on their website was $2660.00.

I dithered for 24 hours and they were down to four. Prices elsewhere on the web had hit $3000.00 and I decided to just bite the bullet. Yes it was a bit more than I ideally wanted to pay but SIJ agreed to reduce the customs value on the paperwork which was good of them (minor saving as only reduced it to $2200). I see they have a couple left and the ebay price is $3200. Clearly chancing it as the demand is high but they sold one at that price so at least one or two people out there are prepared to pay it. A very good seller though incidentally and a good buying experience given they checked the watch, sent scans, allowed me to pick serial number etc.

A few have been for sale on WUS as you say but yes they are second hand (irrespective of how new) and you will still get hit with hefty customs (mine were £291.00). I'm yet to see one for sale s/h in the EU although a German seller has one brand new for £2600.00.

I cant comment on value in 12 months as I'm no Seiko expert, but the SBDX003 took some time to hit its current market value and of course that is limited to just the 500 pieces. If you want new buy now as there will be none left. Personally I'd be patient and keep my eyes open for a s/h piece to come up in the UK/ EU. I'm not marketing mine to you but to give you hope, I'm not a collector, constantly change my mind regarding my collection and have worn my SBDX012 once since it arrived. Consequently there may be a time I decide it is just too much money to have tied up in a watch and look to move it on. You'll need some more posts to see it in SC though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Got mine from an AD at 20% discount.
    No idea where they may go in price, just happy I could source one.
    Now THAT was a good deal.

Craftsman
    One is available in Ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Seiko-SBDX012...item27fba24fa4

Bought SBDX001 from this seller and everything was fine, only shipping wasn't EMS as stated. Otherwise EU, free
    shipping, so price is final.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    One is available in Ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Seiko-SBDX012...item27fba24fa4

Bought SBDX001 from this seller and everything was fine, only shipping wasn't EMS as stated. Otherwise EU, free
    shipping, so price is final.

Lovely watch, and Solo is a trustworthy seller.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    I reckon prices will continue to spike until the last new ones are gone. For a while afterwards, second hand prices will also be high. But within a few years pries will have dropped considerably when one comes on the market. The nature of Seiko collectors is that not many special editions seem to come on the second hand market and, sadly, when they do, they do not seem to fetch prices anything like as high as the new retail price.

So to my mind it's a matter of either buying now and accepting a very high price or waiting a couple of years and paying a much lower price, as long as you remember to keep an eye out.

That is lovely. I have owned an SBDX001 for some time, and can easily see myself changing it for one of these. The question is should I rush out and get one while I can, or should I wait until they come on the market at a lower price?

Craftsman
    these sell for 2200-2400 USD on secondary
    amazing watch, makes MM300 look poor

I'd love one, and the SBDX003. I can dream

The MM300 is one of my favourite watches, and the cheapest in my collection by a good margin. I thought long and hard about the SBDX012 and decided it simply wasn't worth it. At the same time I would pay vastly more for a 6159-7001. That in my view would be worth it... but the SBDX012 is not significantly more interesting than the MM300 and doesn't have the interest of the original. Just my view.

-flugzeit.

I already have a 6159-7001 hence my lust for the SBDX012 and SBDX003

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    But yours is a much better looking watch. If I had a 6159-7001, I'm pretty sure it would snuff out any desire to own the modern re-interpretations. I can't help feeling too, that the SBDX012, is just that little bit too blingy.

Martin

Martin, I just couldn't resist

Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 1st April 2015 at 09:51. Reason: better pics

Now, now Duncan, that is just plain naughty. Of course I am not envious. Not even a little bit.

Not much Rodney!

Lovely watch cannop. Remember seeing your site's post about it and was in awe of the work.

Do you have a spare!?:-)

Martin, I just couldn't resist
    I did wonder if you were the buyer (assuming it was the one on SC) :) When you have a hankering, you have a hankering. I nearly went for one myself when Seiya unexpectedly came through after a casual enquiry last year, but the size, I know, would just be too much for me. Notwithstanding all of that, your photos do highlight how perfectly proportioned the grandfather is compared to the grandson! Having the two together though does make for a rather compelling pairing in a collection - well done.

Martin

Master
    A brand new one just popped up on ebay from a German seller for 2300 euros. It's not there anymore.
    Last edited by Binsull; 22nd April 2015 at 16:17.

Master

That looks fantastic, a great piece

One available here brand new in an AD in Thailand - works out at £1,776 but would need to lay 20% VAT. May pick it up actually

Limited to just 700. New high beat hand assembled movement. Hand finished case. Gold accents. I'd wager on it holding its value well.
    Gray

There's one on Chrono24 in Germany at the moment for a decent price:

https://www.chrono24.com/en/seiko/se...rchtask_mail=1

Blog Entries
    If you really want it, buy it, and keep it.

Forget resale.
    There's Always a lovely son to give it to when the time comes............:)

I've got a LE Seiko incoming as we speak, but in another price range that is.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    There's one on Chrono24 in Germany at the moment for a decent price:

https://www.chrono24.com/en/seiko/se...rchtask_mail=1
    Appears to be reserved for someone else. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Limited to just 700. New high beat hand assembled movement. Hand finished case. Gold accents. I'd wager on it holding its value well.
    Just for clarity, my comments refer to the 1000 metre
    Gray

Journeyman
    If your heart's set on the watch there's nothing we can say to stop you