closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smashed over the head - ouch

Smashed over the head - ouch

OK so I got smashed over the head with a brick or something and knocked out and had my Panerai 359 stolen which I am incredibly annoyed about. I still have dizzy spells 3 weeks later but apparently I will survive, the Doctor said if I was going to die it would have been within the first 3 days!

The insurance company have paid out so the question is what do I do? Replace the gap in my collection with another Panerai 359?

Buy a different Panerai?

Buy a completely different watch altogether?

I do miss the Panerai and fancy another but I also fancy a lot of other watches!

Should I be patient and save more pennies for a decent AP or PP?

Perhaps I should be really boring and not replace at all as I have already added a Santos 100 and a Pepsi GMT to my collection in 2015 and my father always questions why I need more than one watch and why I haven't paid off the mortgage yet!!

Thoughts?

Master
    What a horrible experience for you! I hope you have made a good recovery? Spend the insurance money on a good crash helmet and a cheap Casio - or stay away from areas where you may be mugged.

As for watches - depends on how much you really loved the Panerai. Would a new one just serve as a reminder of the day you got hit over the head? Personally I wouldn't save for an AP etc., you could lose that the same way.

Master
    Sorry to hear that mate :(

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    What a horrible experience for you! I hope you have made a good recovery? Spend the insurance money on a good crash helmet and a cheap Casio - or stay away from areas where you may be mugged.

As for watches - depends on how much you really loved the Panerai. Would a new one just serve as a reminder of the day you got hit over the head? Personally I wouldn't save for an AP etc., you could lose that the same way.
    Yes it was a horrible experience, the few days after were pretty awful with all the thoughts about what might have happened if I was hit harder and various brain scans etc however on the plus side I have no recollection of being hit on the head or the 4 hours preceding it so I am not sure a new watch would remind me of being hit. I think I will take your advice about the crash helmet though!

Hope you are recovering well.

I would personally have something different and not the same watch as mentioned above. And possibly something more unknown.

Personally I think I would be more apprehensive of wearing something of such high value after such an awful experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    OK so I got smashed over the head with a brick or something and knocked out and had my Panerai 359 stolen which I am incredibly annoyed about. I still have dizzy spells 3 weeks later but apparently I will survive, the Doctor said if I was going to die it would have been within the first 3 days!
    As much as this is a watch forum and we all encourage each others horological addiction, I'm rather more focused on the fact you were mugged and simply glad that you're fine (albeit with the dizzy spells).

Do you feel like filling us in on the details?

Journeyman
    Wow sound terrible. Wishing you a good recovery.

As far as for a watch goes I would absolutely upgrade from your Panerai. The insurance cheque could be a good step I'm the direction of an AP or PP as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    As much as this is a watch forum and we all encourage each others horological addiction, I'm rather more focused on the fact you were mugged and simply glad that you're fine (albeit with the dizzy spells).

Do you feel like filling us in on the details?
    Thanks very much for your kind words. To be honest I couldn't have been more surprised as to what happened, I live and work in Beijing and have always considered it to be a very safe city. I can't give much detail on what happened as I simply don't remember, I went for a couple of drinks in my brothers bar as I often do on a Saturday night and on the very short 5 minute walk home I must have been hit on the head as when I came around I had a massive lump on my head, blood coming from my forehead and I was missing my wallet, iPhone and Panerai. A day or so later the full bruises came out and I realised I had been given a bit of a kicking and that is when it sunk in that it could have easily been a lot worse especially if it had been a colder night in Beijing, luckily it was pretty warm by Beijing standards that night. I don't think they were targeting me for the watch I think I was just a lone foreigner walking home and they would have guessed I had some cash and a decent phone, they just got lucky with the watch.

Thanks very much for your kind words. To be honest I couldn't have been more surprised as to what happened, I live and work in Beijing and have always considered it to be a very safe city. I can't give much detail on what happened as I simply don't remember, I went for a couple of drinks in my brothers bar as I often do on a Saturday night and on the very short 5 minute walk home I must have been hit on the head as when I came around I had a massive lump on my head, blood coming from my forehead and I was missing my wallet, iPhone and Panerai. A day or so later the full bruises came out and I realised I had been given a bit of a kicking and that is when it sunk in that it could have easily been a lot worse especially if it had been a colder night in Beijing, luckily it was pretty warm by Beijing standards that night. I don't think they were targeting me for the watch I think I was just a lone foreigner walking home and they would have guessed I had some cash and a decent phone, they just got lucky with the watch.
    As you said, it could have been a lot worse but thankfully wasn't; nevertheless, still not a nice experience.

I've found myself being more concious of what I wear and when I wear it - in other words, choosing less conspicuous (to the no-watch crowd) watches when I'm going somewhere that I don't know well, or that could be a suspect. From your comments, and as per your summary, it sounds like the watch was an added bonus and chances are they may have taken anything hoping it would be worth something; therefore, even had you not been wearing a watch, chances are you'd still have ended up getting mugged.

As I said before, glad it wasn't worse and glad you're on the mend.

Reference your replacement question, you mention saving for a PP... if we engage helping others spend their money mode for a moment, this has my vote.

No not a nice experience and it has made me very wary of wearing my watches anywhere at all.
    Last edited by JoePattinson; 13th March 2015 at 17:53.

Ouch indeed. Standing out can have its consequences but I always wear the watch I want. You can get smacked in the mouth "just because" - whatever you have on
    Gray

It wasn't your Dad was it?

I'd put the money into your mortgage, just in case...

Nasty experience, glad to hear there are no long term effects.

M

These things make you think a little, glad your ok!

Mother ******* :(

Master
    Perhaps I should be really boring and not replace at all as I have already added a Santos 100 and a Pepsi GMT to my collection in 2015 and my father always questions why I need more than one watch and why I haven't paid off the mortgage yet!!

Thoughts?
    My thoughts; you go out and spend the money on exactly what YOU want. You have the rest of your life to pay bills, and the bills will always be there whether you spend the money on a watch or not.

If you have the hunger for another Panerai then do it, or why not try something mad and different that you've always fancied?

Whatever you do, I pray you have complete recovery from your injury. God bless you.

Journeyman
    Horrible thing to happen to you, main thing is you're healthy! A new watch is something positive to look forward to so nothing wrong with that

Blinking heck, sorry to hear this Joe and glad you seem to be ok.

Maybe use the money to buy a helmet and/or large dog?

Seriously, I'd probably buy something else.

Master
    Glad to hear you are recovering. You should buy what you want but I would be extra careful if you do buy another (of course you know that already).

Blog Entries
    Goodness. Ouch indeed. Really sorry to hear of your experience, but like you said it could have been worse, nevertheless I hope no long term damage.

As as regards a new watch, I'd treat yourself to a PP if you can! You deserve it mate.

martyn

Like everyone else i am shocked at what you went through, thing is it is unlikely you were targeted for your watch and it would have happened with anything on your wrist so get whatever makes you happy

Craftsman
    What a terrible story, hope your recovering ok

I am surprised how easy you take this...do you now plan to change anything on your behavior?

Master
    Thank **** you're okay OP! That's awful!

I used to worry about wearing expensive watches etc but now I'm just used to it. Reading things like this are always a wake-up call but then I sometimes think that you hear of these opportunistic types of crimes happening for a ladies' purse with £3.50 in it etc. I don't know if the attacker would always know the difference between a Panerai and a Panerai Homage for example, or a Submariner vs a Seiko Diver and so on.

I'd like to think G-d forbid it happens to myself, it'd make me think either of two ways...

A) I don't really need an expensive watch
    B) Watches are my hobby and no-one will make me stop wearing the things I love

Knowing me, at first I'd go with A, but after a period of time, I'd end up at B.

Get well soon OP.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I am genuinely touched by the concern everyone has shown.

I think that whilst it was a pretty horrible experience it won't stop me being passionate about watches as i don't believe he/they targeted me for the watch. So I think it is inevitable that I will use the insurance money to add to my small collection and the exciting thing is deciding which watch to get next I do miss not having a Panerai in my collection but equally the opportunity to put the insurance money towards an AP or PP does appeal.

I think I will adjust my behaviour though and I will not be walking home at night anymore I will make sure I am always jumping in a cab even for short journeys around the city.

With regards to the post asking if it was my dad that hit me over the head, that is a good question, I will check with my mum whether my dad was in the UK during this period of time or whether he was on a "business trip"!!

Please don't let my experience put any of you off visiting Beijing because it is a really great city that is really worth a visit.

Sounds like you were "bricked" on a whim and your PAM was a bonus for the mugger. I personally would get another PAM.