closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega Railmaster, why did they discontinue the watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Massive dilemma now, I have the option of a 39mm and a 41mm both boxed with papers. Yet the 39mm is going to cost me £800 more than the 41mm

My wrists aren't the thickest but I have my 40mm Submariner Ceramic and I wear a 42mm Ecodrive as a beater.

Not sure £800 is worth it though.
    I`d wait until you were sure - there may be a small premium for a 39mm but not £800, unless the 42mm you are looking at is particularly cheap. The 42mm version does come up on a regular basis so if you miss out on this particular one I don`t think you would have to wait too much longer for another.

Massive dilemma now, I have the option of a 39mm and a 41mm both boxed with papers. Yet the 39mm is going to cost me £800 more than the 41mm

My wrists aren't the thickest but I have my 40mm Submariner Ceramic and I wear a 42mm Ecodrive as a beater.

As I've explained though, your Ecodrive at 42mm will NOT wear the same as a 41mm Railmaster. I had a Sinn U1 at 44mm but it wore more like a 42mm or less. Another example is the Fortis Cosmonaut B42. It's a 42mm case but the bezel is 44mm so it wears much bigger than a standard 42mm. It really does depend on the watch and the size and shape of your wrist, not necessarily the case size of the watch.

Another point to make is, don't worry too much about original box and papers, these can be sourced from Omega later if you really needed them. I would be more concerned that it has a recent Omega service receipt, and therefore warranty. If it has the original box and papers but no service history, bearing in mind the age of these watches, then the premium paid for the full package is a waste of money. Budget about £300 for a full Omega service with 2-year warranty if it needs one.

I also wouldn't pay more than £2k for a mint, serviced example.

Hope this helps

Just remember, that with the lack of the bezel, the watch wears BIG. So its certainly worth keeping in mind. I picked mine up at the Westfield boutique, but they needed to get the 39mm in from Heathrow (they only had the 41mm). So I reckon I had one of the last from Omega themselves in the UK as it was discontinued by that point. So glad i had the right money, right desire at the perfect time!

The 39mm one is roughly £1900 it's the extra almost £400 in import charges I would have to pay which bumps up the price. If it wasn't for that I would have already bought it but I agreed to stick to less than £2k for a watch.

The 39mm one is roughly £1900 it's the extra almost £400 in import charges I would have to pay which bumps up the price. If it wasn't for that I would have already bought it but I agreed to stick to less than £2k for a watch.
    Is it in the US? Not worth it then with the VAT duty.

Keep searching Chrono24, they do come up. I was looking for months before 'the one' came up, but the German dealer would not budge an inch on the asking price, and wouldn't even throw in free postage. He knew it would sell so I had to bite the bullet and pay full whack. Worth every penny though

Master

I am amazed by such a large price difference.

Can I be nosey and ask how much each of them are, please?

As I'm on the fence about selling my 39mm Railmaster.

Blog Entries
    Always liked the look of the Railmaster, wouldn't have known how big they wear until reading this so very helpful thread.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    I am amazed by such a large price difference.

Can I be nosey and ask how much each of them are, please?

As I'm on the fence about selling my 39mm Railmaster.
    The 41mm I can get for £1600 and the 39mm is £1900 plus shipping and import which brings it up to £2400.
    That's the problem both are with boxes and papers.

Give me a shout if you want to sell haha...

Buy the 42. You can always pick up a 39 later if you decide it's too big. As an explorer owner with small wrists, I went through the same. Tried them both at the same time, and the 39 just looked too small. They also change apparent size on bracelet and straps. Don't ask me why. Visual trick!
    Glad I didn't see the Railmaster before the explorer or the decision would have been even more difficult. Now that my eyesight is going, simpler dials are the way to go!! Rarely wear my detailed dials any more.

Something I had a read of earlier, and I think they may have a point. After all, it was their anti-magnetic watch back in the day.

I think I actually like that mock-up more than the SM300 which is available now.

http://monochrome-watches.com/omega-...ns-railmaster/

Ash

Omega Railmaster, why did they discontinue the watch?

I hope any new Railmaster reissue uses a different case to the new SM300. I don't like the long lug shape and the deep case back. Just sits all wrong on the wrist imho.
    Last edited by waser; 13th March 2015 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    Something I had a read of earlier, and I think they may have a point. After all, it was their anti-magnetic watch back in the day.

I think I actually like that mock-up more than the SM300 which is available now.

http://monochrome-watches.com/omega-...ns-railmaster/

Ash
    Straight seconds hand, orange 'vintage' lume, and the 8400 movement, so a thick and chunky case?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 41mm I can get for £1600 and the 39mm is £1900 plus shipping and import which brings it up to £2400.

Give me a shout if you want to sell haha...
    I sold a 39mm for 1500 on this forum a few weeks back. I had many enquires and a few trade offers but only a single offer of asking price. I think I priced it fairly cheaply given it was full set but I was happy just to get back what it owed me. 2400 is crazy but I guess that's a dealer price?

Were any of these recently serviced? Or have any service history?

It's the fact it will add almost £500 in shipping and import charges. He has offered the watch for £1900 to be fair to him.

Journeyman
    Yeah pretty sure it was sales related

I'm not a fan of croc or gator straps.

Anyone tried a heuerville rally or a db10 rally on a Railmaster? I'm thinking they'll dress the Railmaster down a bit compared to the gator/croc strap.

Perhaps this is worth another thread in the strap sub forum...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post

Anyone tried a heuerville rally or a db10 rally on a Railmaster? I'm thinking they'll dress the Railmaster down a bit compared to the gator/croc strap.

Sounds interesting, got any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Sounds interesting, got any pictures?
    I was hoping someone else does!

I might just take a punt on a DB10 Strap and see how it looks. I'm wearing mine on nato at the moment.

Well I took a punt on a DB10. Great strap by the way if anyone is on the fence. I think it looks great on the Railmaster too.

I'm loving this thread. Has anyone tried their Railmaster on a nato or perlon strap and have any photos?

Liking the Railmaster but I came close to making an homage to the Ranchero.

omega ranchero - Google Search
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=om...w=1318&bih=608

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post

Good point. I bet it would look great on a rally strap.

Do it, no one else has and it's a great design.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie

Eddie
    I love the cream colored dial version.

Did the PRS-35 get the movements instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I love the cream colored dial version.

Did the PRS-35 get the movements instead?
    No, this was some time ago and I was going to use a Unitas.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I loved the Railmaster style, really fancied the xxl. The Everest & my Ogival cover the smaller size dial for me.
    My biggest WIS regret is not buying a new Aqua Terra for £1,800 when my local AD had to sell off their Omega stock a few years back, I had the bloody thing on my wrist...but dallied!

Ogival below

Last edited by wildheart; 20th April 2015 at 09:36.

I've been very lucky and managed to get a brand new 39mm from America. Just in time for my birthday here it is:

I have found my ideal watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I've been very lucky and managed to get a brand new 39mm from America. Just in time for my birthday here it is:

I have found my ideal watch.

Perfect watch. Perfect cat! The RM was my only watch for well over a year... Was meant to stay like that but in all truth that was never gonna happen! The RB will remain my only cat though - he is being a right moany git this morning (it's raining after all!). What do you think of the braclet? I haven't found anything to come so close in comfort or looks.

If I ever had to downsize this would be the watch I would be left with. I agree it's basically perfect.

Happy birthday for yesterday mate.

Eddie
    You could do with a new white faced dial in the line up... It's a perfect candidate Eddie!

I already posted one of these in this week's WRUW thread, but seeing as this has become a Railmaster Love thread, here are some recent photos of my 36mm:

For me it's nothing less than a modern classic.

My 39mm is on steel for now but when i get home next week its going onto a nice leather strap...

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Perfect watch. Perfect cat! The RM was my only watch for well over a year... Was meant to stay like that but in all truth that was never gonna happen! The RB will remain my only cat though - he is being a right moany git this morning (it's raining after all!). What do you think of the braclet? I haven't found anything to come so close in comfort or looks.

If I ever had to downsize this would be the watch I would be left with. I agree it's basically perfect.

Happy birthday for yesterday mate.
    Thank you. I like the bracelet a lot; it has grown on me after wearing it for a while. When I first saw it I thought the locking mechanism didn't look too secure (I'm too used to divers flick lock clasps) but it works very well and is very comfortable. I have an Omega shark mesh also I thought about putting on it but for now there is certainly no need.

Two Russian Blues here and I have also inherited my dear old Mum's Persian/English blue so it has been cat wars for a while; but on the whole they are getting along.

I see you went for the 39mm over the 41mm in the end Marty, good choice. I hope that it wasn't too bad in the end price wise.

My 39mm is on steel for now but when i get home next week its going onto a nice leather strap...

The 39 or 36 are the only variants to have IMO. I waited nearly a year to find my 39mm but it was worth it

I've toyed with the idea of leather but I just think the bracelet is too perfect to take off. I might give it a whirl for the summer

Pity the Orient Chicane has a date, or it would make a nice poor man's version of the Railmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I see you went for the 39mm over the 41mm in the end Marty, good choice. I hope that it wasn't too bad in the end price wise.
    Paid a very fair price imo, from someone on here. Lot cheaper then some of the prices from overseas...

Omega Railmaster, why did they discontinue the watch?

Having worn the 39mm for a while I think the 36mm would suit my smallish wrists better. Not that 36mm RMs are readily available. I'll have to keep an eye out in the hope I find one and then move my 39mm on. I would imagine the 41mm wears very large.

Journeyman
    I hadn't heard of or seen this watch before reading this thread, but wow!! Another one for the wish list!!