closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A well written article regarding some expensive watches being crap.

A well written article regarding some expensive watches being crap.

This may have been posted previously however I found it made some relevant points- well written.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...able-faux-ury/

Master
    Rather liked that, thankyou for posting it.

Blog Entries
    I had a go at reading it, but the style was so cr@p I gave up. So "well written " - no.

Interesting article.

It begs the question: what 'luxury' watch is truly the best bang for your buck

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting. He correctly identified the emptiness of so much modern consumption , even at the so called luxury end; you can never have enough of what you donīt need:) So hence the relentless pursuit of the next thing.

Master
    Thanks for posting - had me chuckling at one or two parts.

Blog Entries
    Cynical. Jaded. Not wrong.

But we do the veblen dance and we like it. :-)

Reading that makes me happy that I haven't spent a lot of money on watches.

Then I go to SC and see a Rolex or Omega that I like and all thoughts of whether it's foolish to spend a lot of money on watches fly right out of my head.

Master
    I didn't find the article particularly well written and I think he pushed the point a little too hard. Frankly you've got to question the sanity of anyone who would give their son the keys to a 993 on their 18th birthday

Frankly you've got to question the sanity of anyone who would give their son the keys to a 993 on their 18th birthday
    We're talking about the good ole U.S. of A here and there's a lotta folk gotta lotta dough out there and I'm thinkin' that it's probably not such a rare occurrence, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had a go at reading it, but the style was so cr@p I gave up. So "well written " - no.
    Agreed. I love how in the second paragraph he says, "But I digress, so we shall return to the topic at hand" without ever having defined the topic at hand in the first paragraph. My mom the English teacher would weep.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Agreed. I love how in the second paragraph he says, "But I digress, so we shall return to the topic at hand" without ever having defined the topic at hand in the first paragraph. My mom the English teacher would weep.
    Ok, I should have posted 'he makes some good points' which is what I meant- not 'well written' ....I'm sorry guys.
    The article is taken from an American car website- one can hardly expect the author studied English at Oxford and
    writes like Samuel Beckett. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We're talking about the good ole U.S. of A here and there's a lotta folk gotta lotta dough out there and I'm thinkin' that it's probably not such a rare occurrence, no ?
    Sounds like a good way to ensure the rarity of 993s....I won't be 'bothered'. There is no way my sons are going anywhere near mine!

The trouble with watches/jewellery is that one man's indulgence is another's normality. If you are well heeled, buying a PP is the norm, no big deal. To the rest of us, it's a huge step.

paul.

Poorly written, hyperbolic and totally inaccurate. What a waste of time!
    Probably got fisted at some point by a Russian wearing a Big Bang.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th March 2015 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Poorly written, hyperbolic and totally inaccurate. What a waste of time!
    Probably got fisted at some point by a Russian wearing a Big Bang.

Exactly what is written in the article that you consider is 'totally inaccurate'?

Made me laugh: lot of salient points there I thought. Thanks indeed for posting that.

Banned
    Many thanks. It identifies what to me is a major peeve. Planned obsolescence. Are you interested in a new car? Go to the dealer and ask where the oil dipstick is. If it is a BMW you are asking about, then chances are there is no dipstick, since BMW has such a high opinion of its sensors that this is supposedly no longer needed. Ask how to check and change the transmission fluid. On some makes of car the transmission is "sealed for life". It gives you a good idea how long a life the maker thinks the car is going to have.

"I’ve detailed the steps below to check the power steering fluid on a 2004 Boxster S. I want you to read them, and consider what Porsche’s own opinion was of the Boxster’s likely durability when they designed the car. Is this a car which will persist for thirty years?

Unlatch the top and open it to the approximate half position. At this point, the metal cover for the top will be cantilevered away from the body and the fabric top will be half-folded.
    Reach into the car and find the snap-ball connector which keeps the top attached to the body. This piece feels flimsier than a Suntour derailleur clamp. Pop it off.
    Go to the other side of the car and do the same thing.
    There is a plastic/vinyl sheet which is held taut by the top mechanism on one side and two cheap looking plastic clips on the other. Unlatch the plastic clip closest to you. DO NOT BREAK IT. If you do, your top won’t work any more.
    Go the other side and do the same thing.
    On the passenger side of the car, push the now-freed glass rear window up and reach down until you find an electrical connector, similar to a computer hard-drive connector. Squeeze it to unlatch it.
    There is one plastic rotary latch on each side of the top of the carpeted subwoofer. Yes, you have to remove the subwoofer to check the power steering fluid. Unlatch your side.
    And the other.
    Lift the subwoofer assembly out of the car. Don’t scratch your $3,600 GT Silver paintjob. Put it somewhere on the ground.
    There are four more rotary latches to undo on the carpeted panel beneath the subwoofer. Unlatch the ones on your side.
    And the other side.
    Lift this flexible carpeted panel out of the car. It’s nice to have help to do this, by the way.
    Now you’re confronted by a plastic/metal panel sealing the engine compartment. This, at least, has metal fasteners. Unlatch the fasteners on your side.
    And the other side.
    Lift this panel, which weighs about 25 pounds, off the top of the car without scratching or damaging anything. Put it somewhere. Again, nice to have help at this stage.
    The power steering fluid filler and dipstick is at the very edge of the engine comparment. Unscrew and check.
    Perform all the steps in reverse to reassemble. Be exceptionally careful about the snap-ball connectors. They have a limited lifespan."

I enjoyed that. Won't be buying a Porsche.

I quite liked it. Yes, it was written in a very American style, but he has some very valid points. I'm not familiar with Hublot watches but I agree with his general feeling towards the consumer throwaway society we live in now.

Same old,familiar and by now tedious and tiresome
    Rant against high priced consumer goods.
    For obvious reasons will find favor amongst some.
    Hublot has a an in- your-face kind of design which quite a few may not appreciate and will get the Russian- footballers- Rappers- boxers treatment from them. Fact remains the cases are of extremely high calibre as well the rubber straps and clasps.
    They now make quite a few with in-house movements. Like all luxury goods there is a huge mark up but they have done exceedingly well for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Same old,familiar and by now tedious and tiresome
    Rant against high priced consumer goods.
    For obvious reasons will find favor amongst some.
    Hublot has a an in- your-face kind of design which quite a few may not appreciate and will get the Russian- footballers- Rappers- boxers treatment from them. Fact remains the cases are of extremely high calibre as well the rubber straps and clasps.
    They now make quite a few with in-house movements. Like all luxury goods there is a huge mark up but they have done exceedingly well for themselves.
    I don't think the article is a simple rant against high priced goods- his point is that with an expensive Hublot watch it's worth consists solely of its price......it's a completely different point he is making.
    Your argument that the rubber straps and clasps are high calibre may not change the authors opinion.

Apprentice
    Just read it - some truths in it i felt. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    I quite liked it. Yes, it was written in a very American style, but he has some very valid points. I'm not familiar with Hublot watches but I agree with his general feeling towards the consumer throwaway society we live in now.
    Maybe I donīt get it but was was new in that article? Hublot is the new Pimp Watch? (Pimp been everybody that has more money than brain) In general I tend to agree with one fellow before saying itīs not written very well...

Great article.

Not to everyone's taste or sensibility, but I enjoyed it and agreed with most of it.

Ģ8k iWatch anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    "I’ve detailed the steps below to check the power steering fluid on a 2004 Boxster S.
    Where did you get this from? It's nothing like my recollection of accessing the PS dipstick.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Where did you get this from? It's nothing like my recollection of accessing the PS dipstick.

R
    It is from the article quoted.

Master
    The guy's good on watches ... Hublots are crap ... but, surprisingly, not so accurate on cars.

So, for example, he vaunts the longevity of pre-water-cooled Porsches, selectively forgetting that they can rust like bukkery.

If he happens to live on the hot/dry West coast such as California rust is not on the radar- even 1960's Jags are still rust free out there!

It made me chuckle a bit - the watches, well - yes of course we are all 'elitist' within our budgets aren't we? I can only agree with his about the manufactured cachet of re-engineered watch cases with simple movements - we all know that a Ģ1k TAG has a Ģ50.00 movement...

The Porsche thing ...?? I rescued, revived and restored an '89 944S2 Cabrio last year. A lovely analogue car, simple computer and accessible dipsticks. I have no doubt it will still be running in another 25 years...

I wear a mechanical TAG and am developing a collection of Japanese quartz divers ... Go figure!

G

Blog Entries
    People know they are being taken for a fool when buying some very expensive watches, it just takes a big man to openly admit it.

So what we end up with is endlessly discussing whether our watch is worth the asking price.

And regarding the über rich, they just don't give a toss as long as they are hip/cool or what have you.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So, for example, he vaunts the longevity of pre-water-cooled Porsches, selectively forgetting that they can rust like bukkery.
    My 1991 964 Targa was completely rust free. They can rust sure, that doesn't mean they all do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    People know they are being taken for a fool when buying some very expensive watches, it just takes a big man to openly admit it.

So what we end up with is endlessly discussing whether our watch is worth the asking price.

And regarding the über rich, they just don't give a toss as long as they are hip/cool or what have you.

Daddel.
    Good observations.

I am starting to notice an interesting change on this forum in the last 2 or 3 years, which coincides with watch prices going stratospheric. In recent days I've noticed how many Porsche owners are on this forum, and the subject of independent schooling was recently heavily debated. Very different from the early days!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I am starting to notice an interesting change on this forum in the last 2 or 3 years, which coincides with watch prices going stratospheric. In recent days I've noticed how many Porsche owners are on this forum, and the subject of independent schooling was recently heavily debated. Very different from the early days!
    Yeah Too Right - I'm always careful to swerve the "What Car Do You Drive" threads !

If if you are implying that all Porsche owners are posh or rich, you are very much mistaken! Don't forget that more than 70 percent of all Porsches produced are still on the road, far more than any other maker. This means that there are thousands of 'not new' cars about, lovingly cared for by their owners.

The appreciation of engineering in watches is easily transferred to cars, hence the number of Porsche owners on the forum. Don't let envy cloud your judgement. It's a question of priorities.....

Paul.

I don't think rob dad is envious, just observing that the people using the forum these days generally appear to be more affluent than in the early days.

I've only been around For three years so haven't noticed this.

Quote Originally Posted by paultje View Post
    If if you are implying that all Porsche owners are posh or rich, you are very much mistaken! Don't forget that more than 70 percent of all Porsches produced are still on the road, far more than any other maker. This means that there are thousands of 'not new' cars about, lovingly cared for by their owners.

The appreciation of engineering in watches is easily transferred to cars, hence the number of Porsche owners on the forum. Don't let envy cloud your judgement. It's a question of priorities.....

Paul.
    Actually I wasn't being envious just noting a marked change in the topics discussed on the forum over the years. It's interesting how you suggest I'm envious of a car you clearly have strong feelings about, do you drive one to inspire envy? And do you know what car I drive? Hilarious. I love it when grown men get all macho about their toys, and assume anyone who calls them out immediately gets labelled envious!

Actually I wasn't being envious just noting a marked change in the topics discussed on the forum over the years. It's interesting how you suggest I'm envious of a car you clearly have strong feelings about, do you drive one to inspire envy? And do you know what car I drive? Hilarious. I love it when grown men get all macho about their toys, and assume anyone who calls them out immediately gets labelled envious!

..and you have misunderstood my point! Which is that the 'envy' which Porsche engenders is misplaced when most of the cars on the road are, in fact quite old, and not expensive playthings!

Frankly I couldn't give a toss what you drive, as long as you enjoy it.

Paul (not at all macho!)

Fair enough - actually my neighbour has a 968 which he lovingly polishes, and years ago I had a 912 (before I realised the floor was rusted through and sold it to someone who could give it the attention it deserved) - cars aren't really my thing now, my car is for the kids and shopping (and I hate to think how a sports car suspension would cope with all the local speeds bumps)!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    +1 and informative, not even slightly nor even actually informed

Master
    Article totally hits the mark. Same peeps who buy a Hublot will snap up Apple Watch Edution in gold without a second thought about value.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 14th March 2015 at 08:10.

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.
    I would also like to thank you for posting this link. Sure the article had some grammatical and style mistakes. And the author tended to ramble. But I enjoyed his message: high end watches are over priced. Due to a modest salary and a young family I've been forced to become a "bottom feeder" in the watch world. And after reading this article I realize there really isn't much difference between the so called top rung watches and those in the lower price range. Aside from pretty pictures and celebrity endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    +1 and informative, not even slightly nor even actually informed
    We're a long way from a Christopher Hitchins essay here...........

'not even slightly nor even actually informed'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paultje View Post
    True enough P. A good mate of my uncles has two of the buggers, in lovely condition too and he's an "ordinary" family chap in an average job in a semi in suburbia. I've attended a fair few car meets over the years and it never ceases to amaze me what seemingly ordinary everyday petrolhead folks have in their sheds and garages. Though usually less obviously visible much the same could be said of watch fans. Sure you have folks with a few quid with some very nice pieces and fair play to them, but you also get folks who don't have that kinda budget yet they can have some equally nice and interesting pieces. For me that's a helluva lot of the pleasure I get from a forum like here. We get to see some fantastic watches owned by all sorts of people.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTIME View Post
    I would also like to thank you for posting this link. Sure the article had some grammatical and style mistakes. And the author tended to ramble. But I enjoyed his message: high end watches are over priced. Due to a modest salary and a young family I've been forced to become a "bottom feeder" in the watch world. And after reading this article I realize there really isn't much difference between the so called top rung watches and those in the lower price range. Aside from pretty pictures and celebrity endorsements.
    I'd personally think while the high end stuff can be eye watering money and some of the high end "fashion" pieces would be raising eyebrows alright, it would be the mid range stuff that one could argue have prices that are more "massaged" as it were. You can better see that with examples that have a long product history. Say something like the Omega Speedy. The price of one of those in say the 1970's was certainly cheaper to buy than today(when comparing cost of living index etc), yet it's essentially the same watch and advances in production should have made them cheaper to make in that time(though wages have gone up so...).