closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deactivated gun

Deactivated gun

Hello

As per the title, has anyone ever bought one/ got any experiences? Is there anything in particular I should look for or ask prior to buying one?

I'm thinking of getting one at some point (probably a revolver or pistol) but know nothing about them. I like guns & have read up on various types so have an idea what model I want, it's the deactivated bit that I'm unsure of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Hello

As per the title, has anyone ever bought one/ got any experiences? Is there anything in particular I should look for or ask prior to buying one?

I'm thinking of getting one at some point (probably a revolver or pistol) but know nothing about them. I like guns & have read up on various types so have an idea what model I want, it's the deactivated bit that I'm unsure of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
    Ask for a deact certificate from the Birmingham proof house, don't take a chance with anything less.

I have a few, they are all stamped with the proofing symbol on the various parts. Depending on what you're buying they should have quite a few moving parts, I have rifles which all 'dry fire' but the barrels are filled.

I've bought from a couple of dealers.

http://www.jaybe-militaria.co.uk

He has a good guide on there and tends to be pretty reasonable.

https://www.worldwidearms.com

Have a wide selection.

Master
    http://www.real-gun.com/

have a reasonable selection at some of the best prices I've seen.

maseman

Master
    Don't buy a deact. Join the NRA and buy a real gun: http://www.nra.org.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    He wants a revolver or pistol, I think his "real" options are limited.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    The CO2 Makarov (by Baikal, not Umarex!) pistol is the real deal converted to CO2.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 10th March 2015 at 21:30.

Ive had a few - as stated above make sure you get a deact certificate (its not a legal requirement but it makes it easier to sell on) and that it has proof house markings. There are a number of UK dealers. Do note that they are expensive!

My favourite was a minty condition 60's Walther PPK which was like a beautiful little jewel. However, looking at the plugged barrel and butchered breech was heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Velorum; 10th March 2015 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The CO2 Makarov (by Baikal, not Umarex!) pistol is the real deal converted to CO2.
    Hi Petrus - sorry to be pedantic but whilst some parts are shared between both such as the frame, trigger, grips and other parts the barrel and other parts that would be pressure bearing are not converted from the cartridge version. They are fabricated specifically for the CO2 version. They are however made of weapons grade steel so are very durable.

If the CO2 version was converted from a cartridge one then it would be classified as Section 5 in the UK and in consequence illegal.

You often read comments to the effect that the CO2 ones are 'converted' cartridge ones but this is something of an urban myth. I did quite a lot of research on this when I set up the Makarov Pistol Association site a few years ago.

Cheers
    Ian

Master
    I saw a great deactivated SG44 in Oranienburg today. Couldn't see a price but it looked fantastic. I think as many others have said that the certificate is the most important thing here.

Craftsman
    The relevant stamps on the ex-weapon are the important things, which should tally with the accompanying Deactification Certificate (Birmingham or London Proof Houses).
    Make sure the serial numbers match between them too. On the odd occasion the wrong certificate is supplied accidentally, and it's a real pain to sort out.

Have a look around here mate about 700-800 available most weeks ,
    http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Deactivated...-Guns-for-sale

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Hi Petrus - sorry to be pedantic but whilst some parts are shared between both such as the frame, trigger, grips and other parts the barrel and other parts that would be pressure bearing are not converted from the cartridge version. They are fabricated specifically for the CO2 version. They are however made of weapons grade steel so are very durable.

If the CO2 version was converted from a cartridge one then it would be classified as Section 5 in the UK and in consequence illegal.

You often read comments to the effect that the CO2 ones are 'converted' cartridge ones but this is something of an urban myth. I did quite a lot of research on this when I set up the Makarov Pistol Association site a few years ago.

Cheers
    Ian
    Ok, I read you.
    'Converted' is incorrect.
    They are DESIGNED and MADE as CO2 poppers and in this day and age of hysterics it is paramount to point it out.
    The two versions I have though have the frame, slide and other parts identical to the real thing I owned and the blank shooter I owned.

What I meant is that it is to all effects and purposes the easiest/cheapest/simplest way to a 'deactivated' pistol.

Just wondering why you would want one?

This isn't a dig but the way as I collect all sorts of random things :)

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Just wondering why you would want one?

This isn't a dig but the way as I collect all sorts of random things :)
    We are (well most) on the forum because we have a love of watches and collect things! I'm currenlty sat working in my home office, a few deacs on the walls, some corgi classics, star wars toys, yellow submarine and nightmare before christmas figures, a fair few small paintings and a few shelves full of work related books. Very much my room and my wife and daughters seem to have control of most of the other rooms in the house!

I'm pretty interested in history and they are just part of that interest really. I've nearly always had guns of some sort - mainly air rifes and shot guns (air rifle for back garden plinking and shotguns for clays). One of the advantages of the deactivated guns is they can be displayed, the 'real' guns have to be kept under lock and key unless I'm using them - I know the air rifle doesn't legally need to be in the cabinet, but with the kids in the house I think its wise.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    I know the air rifle doesn't legally need to be in the cabinet, but with the kids in the house I think its wise.
    Unpressured pcp and CO2 type are not ready to shoot. Keep the fill plug and capsules out of reach and safe as a ... safe.
    Ditto electric softair replicas; just keep the battery safe.

An Izhmash made Yunker makes a great Kalshnikov display and with the CO2 mag out is safer than a tennis racket.

Hang a Baikal Makarov next to it and you have a soviet display

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    We are (well most) on the forum because we have a love of watches and collect things! I'm currenlty sat working in my home office, a few deacs on the walls, some corgi classics, star wars toys, yellow submarine and nightmare before christmas figures, a fair few small paintings and a few shelves full of work related books. Very much my room and my wife and daughters seem to have control of most of the other rooms in the house!

I'm pretty interested in history and they are just part of that interest really. I've nearly always had guns of some sort - mainly air rifes and shot guns (air rifle for back garden plinking and shotguns for clays). One of the advantages of the deactivated guns is they can be displayed, the 'real' guns have to be kept under lock and key unless I'm using them - I know the air rifle doesn't legally need to be in the cabinet, but with the kids in the house I think its wise.
    Ta, I love watches and pens. Knives too for some random reason

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You're right.

That said, I'd rather have a real rifle than a fake pistol.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You're right.

That said, I'd rather have a real rifle than a fake pistol.
    Live defeats the display purpose.

Unless it has to be a specific period, the OP might be better off looking at obselete calibre firearms instead. In the UK they can be held without licence for display or collecting - obviously if the intent is to manufacture or source ammunition then that doesn't apply.

There is a list of section 58 calibres that are permitted, and at least you get to own something that hasn't been butchered. I can't stand de-acts personally :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I can't stand de-acts personally :)
    Me neither; I consider to be an insult, an act of contempt to what it is and to society.

To me the disgraceful BACS history sums it up.

The OP however just wants to display some cool stuff and as such has few legal options.

Hello

Thanks for all the input & links & video's, it's superb & has increased my knowledge considerably, besides giving me an idea of what's out there & prices.

As to why I want a deactivated one, I like guns they're cool & I like the history & facts concerning weapons but I've no particular desire to shoot one (if that hopefully makes sense). It will just be a cool item that I own & appreciate for what it is & its history/ design, in much the same way that I now collect old military pocket knives.

Current favourites are maybe a WW2 deactivated Enfield/Webley or maybe something slightly more obscure like a WW2 era Tokarev pistol, it's definitely that sort of era I have in mind, I haven't decided yet but to be honest that's half the fun.

Cheers & thanks again for all the help.

Dave

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a look on GunStar mate, plenty to choose from.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Live defeats the display purpose.
    A victory, then.

I don't know where you are but at Kempton Park antiques fair you'll often find de-acs.

One bloke usually has Bren guns down to pistols. Seen some PPSh's too.

Not my cuppa tea but interesting nevertheless.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Cheers for the info' Neil.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I don't know where you are but at Kempton Park antiques fair you'll often find de-acs.

One bloke usually has Bren guns down to pistols. Seen some PPSh's too.

Not my cuppa tea but interesting nevertheless.
    There are usually boxes and crates full of old watches to rummage through there as well

A chap who bought a watch box from my eBay listing told me to get myself over there and have a look - well worth it and loads of other interesting stuff as well!