closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay ending auction early - final value fees

Ebay ending auction early - final value fees

Hi Guys, in case some of you aren't familiar with this situation; I recently listed a watch on Ebay and realized after receiving a bid that the details were misleading (the watch wasn't as complete as I had thought). I ended the auction early to avoid any hassle later with a potential buyer and planned to locate the missing parts and relist again later. Anyway this week I received a nice fee invoice from Ebay based on the value of that first bid (close to £150 in fees) and reading the Ebay T&C's more closely it states that ending early "MAY" result in a fee being charged. Being Ebay of course the "may" isn't reality it should state "will". In this case I relisted the watch a few days later with a revised description (couldn't locate the missing bits) and that allowed me to argue the case with Ebay as they could see that I had ended it legitimately in the first case and in this case the fees were refunded. Obviously the idea here is to dissuade people from ending early in order to sell outside of the auction and thereby avoid paying Ebays fees; fair enough but keep this process in mind if you are tempted to take that approach yourself..you could end up with a bill that weren't expecting.
    Keith

Wasn't aware of that personally - thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Indeed, you have to cancel all the bids before cancelling the auction itself. And when you cancel the auction, you should say that the description was not complete, never that the item is not available anymore :)

Ouch. Fair enought as you say, they must 'lose' millions in ended early sales.

Are the fees now 10% irrespective of the amount? It used to be capped at £40 didn't it, then they put that upto £75 iirc and as far as I know it's now uncapped.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtysquare View Post
    Indeed, you have to cancel all the bids before cancelling the auction itself. And when you cancel the auction, you should say that the description was not complete, never that the item is not available anymore :)
    Yes. as above. cancel the bids and say the item isnt available any more. then no fees.

Fees were 10% with no obvious upper limit, but they now appear to be capped at £250.00

That was for "but it now", not sure if auction details are different?

Journeyman
    As far as i remember ebay recently introduced a fee cap on all watches sold on ebay uk for £50 so whatever the value you shouldn't be charged more then £50. I imagine its because their fees where extortionate previously so no one sold on there. If in future you're worried about ending it early due to incorrect description then just put a couple of zero's at the end of the asking price and remove the photo etc :) in the meantime make another listing with the correct bits.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    Yes. as above. cancel the bids and say the item isnt available any more. then no fees.
    Don't any bidders have to agree to cancelling the auction?

Blog Entries
    I think this was a fairly recent change in the Ts&Cs. I seem to remember it came in in the latter half of last year.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amextime View Post
    As far as i remember ebay recently introduced a fee cap on all watches sold on ebay uk for £50
    Wasn't £50 (or £75) the old maximum selling fee cap. It's now £250, isn't it?

Grand Master
    The best option is to cancel all bids and reduce price to 0.01p then end auction :)
    RIAC

Cancelling all bids was the procedure in the past that I have used, when I did it for this item that option had gone and it was a "one button" press to cancel, the fees are certainly not capped below £150..thats what they tried to charge me. Good tip to say the description wasn't correct but I suspect that as with the "may" criterion it will come down to how Ebay interprets your behavior (assuming a human is ever actually involved), this said getting them to rescind the fee was easy enough, no arguments.
    Keith

Blog Entries
    I know they provide a service and have sold a lot of watches on there in the past, but sometimes you have to wonder at their fees.

Journeyman
    It also depends if you're a private seller or registered as a business on ebay as the fees would vary then. Its a strange situation as there are many dealers who sell on ebay that genuinely sell the stock in shops and would need to end auction early, would be interesting to know what happens then??

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't any bidders have to agree to cancelling the auction?
    Nope - how would that work if the item genuinely was no longer available for sale (broken/stolen/whatever)?

This is interesting as I nearly always end listings early because they usually sell through the forums. I do tend to list BIN though so they can hardly charge for a non-sale. Can they? I wouldn't put anything past ebay.

Ebay charge a percentage on a postal service they have not supplied.
    So charging fees for unsold items would certainly be in their realm of legalized extorsion.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Don't like eBay fees?

Don't use ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Nope - how would that work if the item genuinely was no longer available for sale (broken/stolen/whatever)?
    Assumed that if they didn't eBay would somehow get involved if some unlikely mishap genuinely prevented sale -how likely is it that something will be stolen?

TBO didn't realise that so many sales seem to be cancelled on a whim - and folk moan about non- paying buyers.

Strange, i've never been charged when ending a eBay auction, i always say the item is broken?

Craftsman
    Didn't know that..Txs for the headsup....Their fees actually depend from wich platform you start the sale...I am charged 10% + much higher CAP on ebay.co.uk then on ebay.nl (8.3% charges + lower CAP in comparison to UK)..........
    They are charging way to much and fees should be much lower, especially when you accept paypal...They allready make money on that...

Guillermo

Journeyman
    Ebay charge fees for postage as some sellers would manipulate the system. For example they would sell you a brand new rolex ceramic sub for £10 and charge you £5000 postage thereby still selling on ebay but avoiding the fees.