closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a GMT master 2 as a tool watch? UPDATE - ITS ARRIVED

Anyone use a GMT master 2 as a tool watch? UPDATE - ITS ARRIVED

Excuse the phrase I know some hate it.

After a recent failed attempt to buy a sub I've chosen to reconsider.

Does anyone use the above for hard daily wear, including regular watersports?

I love the look of the Pepsi dial and it seems like a hardy watch, just wondered if anyone had any experience? I'm determined to 'pull the trigger' in 24 hrs with one or the other.

Can't think of any more phrases to bait the bear pit. Mine will say hello when it comes?

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by hellominky; 5th March 2015 at 21:07.

I use one as a holiday watch. I've been swimming, diving (well, snorkelling really!), kitesurfing etc whilst wearing it and it's still fine.

It's only 100m water resistant as opposed to 300m on the sub but they really isn't an issue.

Master
    Why reconsider the Sub, mine gets worn daily and I'm no office dweller, it's the perfect watch to be thrown into any situation. Mine will be on the beach soon too. It's just too good to leave behind

Master
    I've used one in rotation with a sea dweller on holiday doing the usual holiday things and it's stood up just fine.

I wouldn't use it for scuba diving, and I wouldn't build sand castles with it (or any other metal watch for that matter), but everything else it handles with aplomb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    and I wouldn't build sand castles with it (or any other metal watch for that matter), but everything else it handles with aplomb.
    at least it doesn't have PCLs like the later models so the sandcastle building not quite as damaging!

Wouldn't use a minty one.

I use a 16750 GMT for holidays gardening, DIY and fixing the car. Its nearly 36 years old , but still looks a great.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Shouldn't be a problem to give a GMT hard use, it is designed for that and 100m water resitance is good enough for most people's uses.

My Dad's 1675 GMT has had been keeping time for him for the past 40+ years, in jungles/deserts/jumping out of planes & out on the open sea etc. every battle scar with a story to tell.
    Testament really to the punishment watches can take.

I on the other hand have a 16710, with a significantly more boring backstory.

Craftsman
    When the funds allow im planning on getting a polar explorer to do the same so id say go for it

That's settled it, thanks for the advice it sounds perfect for me.

I have one enroute!

Steve

Journeyman
    I used mine as a daily for over two years... no problems at all.

However, I'm not overly bothered by scratches and dings on my watches. If you are in any way OCD inclined, I'd be thinking long and hard about using an expensive watch as a 'tool' watch.

An excellent grab and go!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    at least it doesn't have PCLs like the later models so the sandcastle building not quite as damaging!

I was recently cruising the Carribean. In Antigua I went on a beach trip and the suncream / sand combo meant I was caked in grit on the way back to the ship via the shops. I ended up in one of the Rolex places (John Bull?) and checked out the GMT Black / Blue. Despite my wrist caked in sand the lady sales asisstant insisted she slapped it on my wrist! Kinda made me cringe with a brand new Rolex!! :)

Grand Master
    Any I have had have done well in the wild, as mentioned PCLs are a pain when alongside brushed as they look worse when scuffed but its not a bad one to wear and itll go worldwide and has that GMT function which you will refer to. Id say yes its alright for a good do all
    RIAC

Master
    Brushed bracelet on GMT2c is just about the perfect watch IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Or...

Excellent stuff. I've bought from a dealer this time who services in house so all being well this will avoid the issues I faced with the sub and the reseller.

It arrives tomorrow by one so I'll let you all see it.

Ref the 'tool watch' comment. I simply mean that it will be my only watch and will do everything with me. I'm pretty active so need a watch that is man enough.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Or...
    Fantastic close up and congratulations to hellominky!

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Excellent stuff. I've bought from a dealer this time who services in house so all being well this will avoid the issues I faced with the sub and the reseller.

It arrives tomorrow by one so I'll let you all see it.

Ref the 'tool watch' comment. I simply mean that it will be my only watch and will do everything with me. I'm pretty active so need a watch that is man enough.

Steve
    Worry not - it will do everything and once it has its first scratch you will simply stop worrying about it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Or...

A Rolex on a NATO........ how predictably dull

Journeyman
    That looks great, have you replaced the strap or had the links brushed..

Grand Master
    Excuse the phrase I know some hate it.
    It is a completely meaningless phrase, to be sure.

Do you mean, is the watch used for work? Almost all watches are used for work, as telling the time is a pretty basic and necessary function, if only to tell you when you need to be there, or when you can leave ;). Or is it used by pilots only? I suppose the polished centre links might upset a few sensitive folks if it was used in a cockpit.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxest View Post
    That looks great, have you replaced the strap or had the links brushed..
    The standard bracelet has been brushed. It was done by a Rolex-trained tech with the appropriate kit so it's a factory/RSC standard job which makes all the difference.

Master
    A splendid choice. My 16710 has been with me for 13 years, worn 90% of the time, and hasn't missed beat.
    It has survived a scuba dive (all be it only a very shallow one!) as well as sandcastle building, swimming, etc etc, oh, and a couple of falls off my scooter didn't do it any harm either!

My 16710 has survived everything I've thrown at it, although it sounds like you're a lot more 'active' than I am. Which model food you go for? Ceramic?

Master
    Tough as nails

This is what mine looked like after a car ran over it ( whilst it was still on my wrist).

It drove over my head first though

Full explanation ( and "after" pic) here

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=stiglet

Seriously, I have had this watch for 30 years. I have a few other Rollies and a Breguet but for about 29.5 of these 30 years the GMT has been my daily wearer and has been serviced once. I've done offshore racing , surfing, swimming and loads of other sillier things with this on my wrist

Per line 1

Tough as nails

Journeyman
    The standard bracelet has been brushed. It was done by a Rolex-trained tech with the appropriate kit so it's a factory/RSC standard job which makes all the difference.
    It really does, could you please let me know who carried it out and the cost please, pm if you prefer

I wore a GMT II nearly every day for about twelve years and it coped very well. I doubt that you would give one any harder treatment than I did.

Well its here.

And I'm absolutely thrilled.

Its in fantastic condition and looks barely worn. Its a 2004 model but is outstanding.

I've never worn a watch on a bracelet before as I always find them uncomfortable and prone to slipping. But this is a revelation. The bracelet is fantastic.

I now really understand why people harp on about the Rolex build quality as its just brilliant. I've always wanted a Rolex but never thought I would be able to afford one so its a real grail for me.

I'm delighted I chose the GMT in the end as personally for me, I find the watch looks more interesting than the sub, but each to their own. Also the ability to swap bezel inserts just gives it more longevity and interest to me as it will be my only watch.

I bought the watch off eBay (fleabay, bay of thieves, evil bay, can't think of any more). It came from itemsofbeauty.co.UK who are the 'east grinstead watch company'. It's a jeweller with a proper shop and the experience was fantastic so I definetly recommend them.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm completely made up.

Steve

That's nice Steve. I'm wearing my "Swiss" dial coke GMT as I type.

The bezel's a little more faded though.....

Perfect. That will do for at least 30 years. Contrats.

Now buy a Sub you know you want to.

Friedrich Nietzsche

And a datejust and a speedmaster and a dress watch and a vintage chrono...

This is just the beginning.. But a great beginning!

Looks a beauty, congrats! :-D

Does yours have drilled lugs, or is it the first of the solids?

Have to agree about the bracelet being so comfortable, and it amuses me when people say it feels cheap compared to the newer solid bracelets, that for some reason it's more important than comfort.

Master
    That does look lovely! Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post

Thanks for the comments guys.

To answer your question tris it has solid lugs.

Steve

Congratulations.

And nice socks.

Master
    Congratulations, its definitely on the list but sadly list > funds at the moment!

Master
    Congratulations Steve, the 16710 is my favourite Rolex (although I've never owned one). Think they are a bit more interesting than the Sub myself.

If it were mine, I'd be making plans to swap that bezel for a Pepsi, enjoy the ownership experience of a classic, bulletproof watch.

Congratulations that's a fantastic example of a classic Rolex.

Master
    I bought the watch off eBay (fleabay, bay of thieves, evil bay, can't think of any more). It came from itemsofbeauty.co.UK who are the 'east grinstead watch company'. It's a jeweller with a proper shop and the experience was fantastic so I definetly recommend them.
    I used to live in East Grinstead, and have visited that shop in the past.
    Pleased you had a good experience. I think I'll pop my head in the shop when I'm passing next.!
    Well done on your purchase by the way.

congrats looks really good :) love the coke bezel!

now i feel the urge to swap back to coke/oyster when i get home tonight, rather today's pepsi/jubilee look.

Master
    pepsi/jubilee thats how I wear mine, its a good look I think.

Great looking watch, I have a 2004 Pepsi version being delivered on Sunday and I can't wait!

Journeyman

Well its here.

And I'm absolutely thrilled.

Its in fantastic condition and looks barely worn. Its a 2004 model but is outstanding.

I've never worn a watch on a bracelet before as I always find them uncomfortable and prone to slipping. But this is a revelation. The bracelet is fantastic.

I now really understand why people harp on about the Rolex build quality as its just brilliant. I've always wanted a Rolex but never thought I would be able to afford one so its a real grail for me.

I'm delighted I chose the GMT in the end as personally for me, I find the watch looks more interesting than the sub, but each to their own. Also the ability to swap bezel inserts just gives it more longevity and interest to me as it will be my only watch.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm completely made up.

Steve
    Nice watch. +1 on the comments about the bracelets from that era.

Also The lugs and proportions of these pre ceramic rolex look so much better than the new ones. In my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post

Have to agree about the bracelet being so comfortable, and it amuses me when people say it feels cheap compared to the newer solid bracelets, that for some reason it's more important than comfort.
    At that age, the bracelet should be solid with solid end links.

Master
    I picked up an 05 last year with Pepsi bezel and the bracelet is a lot sturdier than my previous one that must have been from early 90's.

Enjoy the watch, its a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    At that age, the bracelet should be solid with solid end links.
    I thought the centre links were folded? Certainly looks like that on the one I'm wearing at the moment, which is only 2 years older than the OP's. But it certainly isn't as weighty as my SubC bracelet, and is definitely more solid feeling than my 90's Explorer 2 bracelet.

Best of both worlds :-)

I'm no expert but my 1999 watch definitely has solid links so I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that solid bracelets were introduced pre 99.

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I used to live in East Grinstead, and have visited that shop in the past.
    Pleased you had a good experience. I think I'll pop my head in the shop when I'm passing next.!
    Well done on your purchase by the way.
    Oddly, one of the things that I liked was that they wouldn't negotiate on the price. I asked all the normal questions to get a full picture of the watch and then asked about the movement on the cost. They politely stated that they price their watches fairly and that it was set. I left it as that and then had another check of other sellers and couldn't really beat them.

Craftsman
    That looks fab! I wear mine half the week & it's always a joy to behold. Hope you get many years of enjoyment.