closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: problems with autoglass

Journeyman

problems with autoglass

Any advice please. I had my windscreen replaced 4 weeks ago by autoglass. My insurer LV only pays 100 towards cost unless autoglass is used.

First problem the contact centre totally messed the booking up as it was not confirmed by email as promised I phoned the local depot .
    the woman there corrected the booking and a date was set.
    Car delivered and window replaced( the crack was 9 inches across ). i went to work and they were supposed to call and confirm job completed. this did not happen. I collected the car and all seemed ok.

The next day i noticed that the cover/scuttle at the bottom of the new scree did not fit well. I contacted the depot and was informed some one would call me that day. this was after my insistence as the depot manager made a comment that these trims often don't fit. I pointed out the car is 14 months old .
    I received a call and a fitter was arranged 10 days later to inspect and repair or report back to contact centre. Who would then contact me.
    I asked for a refund of phone costs for the failed booking - avoided the issue.
    the named fitter was booked for 9 - 12. another fitter was contacting me at 8.00 . He arrived around 8.15 at work. he claimed the trim was ok and would sit correctly with the sun on it. i replied that was not acceptable he then messed around removing and refixing the trim but did say maybe refitting the screen may help. I agreed that if the screen was not fitted correctly then this should be done. he was to report back I would wait for acall that day. he claimed he was informing the depot manager who was not handling the call.
    i did state that if they could not provide a satisfactory solution i would ask BMW for their opinion.

I contacted autoglass who now expected me to get a written inspection from BMW.
    I have informed LV that autoglass is their contractor not mine and its not my job to ret a report of autoglass shoddy work.

verbally the local dealer has looked at the job and stated its neither the screen nor the trim is fitted correctly. In fact the screnn is not square in the frame. the trim is not fiited as expected. the chap i spoke to commented that I should ask for my money back .

I have told lv i want another screen fitted by bmw as autoglass have failed to rectify the job. I am not being heard.

what are my rights?

apologies for the long message but wanted to get salient facts across.

john

I don't know whether your car has auto wipers and lights but you should check those if it has, non-original replacements are known for the windscreen sensor not working correctly.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Given that a windscreen is a structural element in a car these days, I'd say you have a right for it to be fitted square in the aperture.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Honda also have problems with the cover and rather than fitting body coloured ones the glass companies tend to fit after market black ones.

Audi have a reinforced section for the rear view mirror if the new screen doesn't have this than the rear view mirror falls off.

I used to book a lot of vehicles in for glass work, in a previous job.

Master
    I would suspect that the glass fitted is not OEM, and was made in, say, China. It may not be of the same quality as the original and may have fit issues, or it may just be that you got a poor fitter.
    In any event, is your insurance contract not with LV? They should repair your vehicle to your satisfaction. They need to be reminded of that and I would expect them to ensure their sub contractor (Auto glass) puts it right.
    If you persevere with AG, I would expect the refund of your excess as a minimum.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Is your car still covered by Manufacturers Warranty? if i suspect it is I would book an inspection with an approved dealership for a report and place this squarely in the hands of your insurers as Autoglass are their approved sub contractors. the consequences of a improperly fitted windscreen could even be fatal.

What's wrong is that both Autoglass and LV seem incapable of accepting that things go wrong from time-to-time. They spend all their energies trying to blame someone else and/or claim there's nothing wrong (when there blatantly is).

World would be an easier place to live in if people were more ready to accept the obvious, and the inevitable fact that things do go wrong occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post

Audi have a reinforced section for the rear view mirror if the new screen doesn't have this than the rear view mirror falls off.

I used to book a lot of vehicles in for glass work, in a previous job.
    Interesting! I had a Audi A4 screen replaced last year in a previous car and this happened... I have a Autoglass booking for this Saturday for a new screen on my current A4 , is it worth calling them to discuss this issue do you think ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

I have had 2 screens fitted by Autoglass in my Audi.
    I have always insisted on having a genuine screen fitted, which they have done.
    My reasons for this is that Audi have a 12 year corrosion warranty and a pattern screen would invalidate said warranty.

When things through insurance go wrong, its a hearty game of finger-pointing until you get monumentally pee'd off. Give AG what you feel is a fair chance to remedy the problem but if they don't or refuse to acknowledge it, you're LVs customer. Get on the blower to them and get them to sort it out, as they're paying AG.

I used AG about 5 years ago to replace the windscreen on my first car, a little Pug 106. They were cracking (no pun) back then but have no furthers with them.

OP. I bought a new car (BMW) last August and 4 days later suffered a sizeable stone chip that required a complete new screen. LV was my insurer.

Long story short, I ended up personally paying for BMW to fit the screen due to me wanting to keep my warranty intact (car was only 4 days old) and I needed the work done fast as I was going on holidays in the car the following week. The screen has sensors for auto headlights, auto wipers and a condensation sensor for the air con. My dealer doubted Autoglass' ability to recalibrate these and I believe Autoglass don't fit BMW OEM glass but rather glass made to the OEM spec.

The day the screen was being fitted at the dealership, I rang LV to sort out the £100 they would pay under my policy (if you don't use Autoglass) and was transferred to their windscreen department. The windscreen team could see from my policy that the car was 4 days old, understood my concerns about the warranty and non OE glass used by Autoglass and agreed to cover the full cost of the BMW invoice less the windscreen excess on my policy.

I found the LV windscreen team to be fair and reasonable. They did say they could have arranged to have BMW OEM glass fitted by Autoglass. The windscreen team don't work weekends and all my conversations took place with LV over a weekend so I only found out the position after the work was carried out. I would still have insisted BMW did the work though.

My suggestion would be tell LV that your local BMW dealership have inspected the car and have confirmed the screen and trim haven't been fitted properly. Tell them you have no confidence in Autoglass and would like BMW to carry out the work and ask if they will they cover the costs.

Good luck

I had the windscreen replaced on my Discovery last week. The original windscreen was a Pilkington Optikool, and the replacement was a Nordglass.

It's a heated screen, with auto lights and wipers. The lights and wipers work, the heater works, but I can't see through it; the heater elements are so thick they're obtrusive in the day and refract the lights of oncoming cars at night.

I phoned my insurance company and complained that it's unsafe, did some telephone boogie with them and National Windscreens, they asked for more money to fit an OEM replacement, I insisted that safety should be a priority and, magically, they found an OEM screen which wouldn't cost any more. The replacement is being replaced next week.

Let's see if they can manage to make the trim fit this time and, oh I don't know, maybe not cover the interior with the handprints of a coal miner?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I don't know whether your car has auto wipers and lights but you should check those if it has, non-original replacements are known for the windscreen sensor not working correctly.

Eddie
    Agreed. I had a chipped BMW screen replaced by Autoglass but found that the auto-wipers never worked properly afterwards. I complained and to their credit, they replaced it with a 'proper' version and all was well.
    Stick to your guns and refuse to accept their work until it has been done to your complete satisfaction.

I asked for an original Audi screen to be put in mine and auto glass didn't have an issue with this. The fitter did say in older cars they try to fit an aftermarket glass as obviously the branded manufacturer ones cost more to buy in. Anyhow, I will always demand an original glass if possible.