closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What chronograph would you buy for £2k-£3k?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Zenith El Primo (same DNA as the Rolex Daytona) or a GP Evo 3 or a Hanhart.

But ask yourself WHY??? Do you really need a Chrono?

I have had 3 and never used the Chono function once.
    WHY???

Sometimes you just want something because it looks good and, to me at least, Chronos look good.

They're great for timing how long you wait for your wife/daughter/mother/partner/dog to leave the house after you've said "I'll be in the car"...

M.

I've just bought one of these (used), for below the lower end of your budget:

Lovely thing.

This was my old watch, but I believe it's on SC again now. Less than your budget (if you fancy vintage):

A DC 66 or 67 should be available used for around £1k:

Loads of choice in this area. Or you could just buy a Speedy!

Master
    There are many interesting and unusual choices in this price bracket, but only one truly correct choice. The Omega Speedmaster Professional.

IN MY OPINION!!!!

Look forward to the pics of your Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    There are many interesting and unusual choices in this price bracket, but only one truly correct choice. The Omega Speedmaster Professional.
    Like a lot of others I second this. Speedy prof. all the way.

New - you could get the 311.30.42.30.01.005 latest hesalite crystal for about £300 UNDER budget on the grey market.
    (or the sapphire sandwich new for about £3200 on the grey market 311.30.42.30.01.006).

Both come in a posh case with toys.

IN MY OPINION!!!!

The more I read:

"Speedy Pro?...Oh Yes!...Me Too!!"

The less they appeal to me...it's just become boring... Is that so wrong?

Craftsman
    Looks like the Speedy Pro has the vote here. Guess the deciding factor is whether you want an automatic. I was really tempted by a Speedy, but in the end went with a Tudor as I didn't feel I could live with a manual wind. I know it's not much of a chore, but just didn't appeal to me. Never say never though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    The more I read:

"Speedy Pro?...Oh Yes!...Me Too!!"

The less they appeal to me...it's just become boring... Is that so wrong?
    That TV dial one and the mk2 racing are certainly not boring though!

Yeah, Speedy Pros...

I used to be skeptical about the manual wind gig, no date thing and the legions of fans. But 4 things I'll say about them;

They genuinely grow on you, you build a relationship with them.
    They look really good (really timeless style).
    They are really easy to flip and in trade-ins they hold value relatively well.
    They form a nice part of a collection (in any collection +6 pieces I seem to expect to find one). Thats probably a bad thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Yeah, Speedy Pros...

I used to be skeptical about the manual wind gig, no date thing and the legions of fans. But 4 things I'll say about them;

They genuinely grow on you, you build a relationship with them.
    They look really good (really timeless style).
    They are really easy to flip and in trade-ins they hold value relatively well.
    They form a nice part of a collection (in any collection +6 pieces I seem to expect to find one). Thats probably a bad thing ?
    I'm not in any way critical of the watch, it's just that the OP expressed a wish to have his eyes opened.
    We here might think ourselves to be enlightened wheras I suggest we tend to be conservative most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I'm not in any way critical of the watch, it's just that the OP expressed a wish to have his eyes opened.
    We here might think ourselves to be enlightened wheras I suggest we tend to be conservative most of the time.
    I agree. The Speedy is undoubtedly a classic, but there are soooo many other options.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    I agree. The Speedy is undoubtedly a classic, but there are soooo many other options.
    Exactly, but it doesn't make it a bad choice, any more than recommendations for a diver that include a Rolex Sub would.

You can open your eyes, but that doesn't mean NOT seeing the best choices...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Apprentice

IN MY OPINION!!!!

Haha!!! I am tempted but then there are so many options. I really like the zenith watches though they may be too much especially since I like the El Primero 410 & Helios.

Also posting and seeing others opinions has made me realise I like the Breitling Navitimer - I think it's the bezel. The Oris Artix is a nice watch, arrrrrrgggghhhhh there are too many nice watches.

I want a watch that I will always keep as it is for a special occasion, but such a hard decision

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roustov View Post
    Haha!!! I am tempted but then there are so many options. I really like the zenith watches though they may be too much especially since I like the El Primero 410 & Helios.

Also posting and seeing others opinions has made me realise I like the Breitling Navitimer - I think it's the bezel. The Oris Artix is a nice watch, arrrrrrgggghhhhh there are too many nice watches.

I want a watch that I will always keep as it is for a special occasion, but such a hard decision
    A special occasion chrono to me has got IWC portuguese written all over it. Very much pushing your budget though.

Master
    Everyone should own a Speedy at some point ;)

What a versatile watch!!

Journeyman
    I'm really happy with the Speedmaster I got earlier this week:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roustov View Post
    I am looking for a new or second hand watch and I think I am looking for a chronograph. I quite like the look of the omega speedmaster professional (005) and also the frederique constant manufacture classic. However it would be great to find out what other people would go for in my situation as it will help open my eyes (I'm a bit of a newbie to appreciating watches). So what would you get?

I currently have a hamilton Jazzmaster day date auto and also a citizen ecodrive bracelet watch.

Also where would you look?
    I would not spend that much on a chronograph. I would not buy a FC. If you must, then Omega is as good as any. Just understand that the more complicated a watch is, the more expensive it will be to service and repair. If you don't actually need a chrono, then let me suggest that your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxi View Post
    I'm really happy with the Speedmaster I got earlier this week:
    Tintin speedmaster? strangely appealing (and must be much more rare to see in the wild?). Congrats on the new aquisition.

Craftsman
    Sinn, Fortis, Damasko, Tutima. Actually I'd probably search everything with a 7750 and buy what I liked most. I tend to steer clear of in-house movements these days, especially chronographs.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Sinn, Fortis, Damasko, Tutima. Actually I'd probably search everything with a 7750 and buy what I liked most. I tend to steer clear of in-house movements these days, especially chronographs.
    Why limit to a 7750? Once you've used a Lemania 5100 (or any other central second chrono), the 7750 seems antiquated and a poor way of measuring time. I've only ever had one (7750), and I won't be buying another.

Which Cronograph to Buy

Any one that you like in the Breitling range that is within your price range. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Why limit to a 7750? Once you've used a Lemania 5100 (or any other central second chrono), the 7750 seems antiquated and a poor way of measuring time. I've only ever had one (7750), and I won't be buying another.
    Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the 7750 a central second chrono? I mean, the second hand goes round when you click the buttons and resets when you do that.

Or is my understanding of 'central second' wrong?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the 7750 a central second chrono? I mean, the second hand goes round when you click the buttons and resets when you do that.

Or is my understanding of 'central second' wrong?

M.
    No, you are absolutely right, I am being a numpty.
    Of course, I mean a central minute chrono, which has 4 hands in the centre. Normal hours and minutes for the time, and seconds and minutes for the chronograph.
    Reading the chronograph-minutes on the normal 0-60 full dial scale is waaaaaay easier than on a 30 minute sub-dial, especially when you have to refer to the hour sub-dial to figure out whether it is in the first or second 30 minutes in the hour.

Dave

Of course, I mean a central minute chrono, which has 4 hands in the centre. Normal hours and minutes for the time, and seconds and minutes for the chronograph.
    Reading the chronograph-minutes on the normal 0-60 full dial scale is waaaaaay easier than on a 30 minute sub-dial, especially when you have to refer to the hour sub-dial to figure out whether it is in the first or second 30 minutes in the hour.

Dave
    Ah good - That makes a lot more sense

M

Craftsman
    You're right there are other options. No need to limit if you have other movement preferences. But if you're looking for a chronograph (especially new) with an outsourced movement you limit your watch choices greatly if you disregard the 7750 and its variants.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Tintin speedmaster? strangely appealing (and must be much more rare to see in the wild?). Congrats on the new aquisition.
    Yes it's a Tintin. I have been out of the watch game for a few years - but then I checked one of the local dealers and saw it. And now I'm hooked again.
    I have never seen anyone with it. And the red/white is not as flashy in real life.

Master
    Yes it's a Tintin. I have been out of the watch game for a few years - but then I checked one of the local dealers and saw it. And now I'm hooked again. I have never seen anyone with it. And the red/white is not as flashy in real life.
    Don't wish to thread-hijack but wow, I love that Tintin. I don't know how I've missed those. Is it a current model and if so what is the RRP?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Don't wish to thread-hijack but wow, I love that Tintin. I don't know how I've missed those. Is it a current model and if so what is the RRP?
    I think RRP is 2900-3100ish (they come on a steel bracelet). But it is no longer in production. I think they where made from dec.2013 to may2014ish.

Master
    I think RRP is 2900-3100ish (they come on a steel bracelet). But it is no longer in production. I think they where made from dec.2013 to may2014ish.
    Thanks Proxi. Not bad. (Sounds like any left in ADs could be had at a good discount; would like to see one in the flesh.) I've been googling and they look good on a black strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    How about a Heuer Autavia of some sort?

I'm afraid the Orange Boy and Siffert Autavias are well out of the price range.

Quite a few of my watches (current and past) fall into the £2k to £3k category:

Heuer Autavia 1163

Heuer Autavia 11630

Heuer Autavia 2446C

Heuer Montreal

Heuer Calculator

Pre-Moon Speedie

Tudor Big Block

Tudor Heritage Chrono

I don't think you can go far wrong amongst this lot -

Manual:
    Lemania/Omega 1873/321/861, (perhaps less so the 861 as it losses the column wheel)
    Valjoux 22 family (diverse functionality - flyback is interesting)
    Zenith 146

Automatic:
    Lemania 5100/Omega 1045 (the most readable and intuitive chronograph, robust, discontinued)
    Zenith EP (one of the most 'complete' early automatics)
    Cal. 12 (& family)
    Valjoux 7750 (ubiquitous but functional)

Makers, no order:
    Omega; Lemania movements
    Sinn; Lemania & Valjoux movements
    Zenith; in-house El Primero
    Heuer; in-house Cal 12 & Valjoux

Maurice Lacroix Pontos Chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Tudor Big Block
    Damnit. That really is an absolutely lovely thing. The looks of a classic/vintage Daytona with the utility of a date, reliable and easily serviced movement movement and some extra 'wrist presence' due to the thick case. I regret passing up a very nice example now :(

Yep, despite my earlier response, this Big Block Tudor takes some beating.....^^^^^

While looking for parts for a project, I found this NOS speedie at a german dealer for what appears to be about £1600 ish

just thought a heads up was in order?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-SPEEDMA...item1e8fc4b4e2

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    This:

+1 Love it...

Quote Originally Posted by geek0 View Post
    +1 Love it...
    +1 great looking watch

I would track down an Oris Carlos Coste L.E. "Nemo".

I let this one go a while back, but for that budget I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

Johnny.

Journeyman
    Speedy Pro or the IWC listed here.

Master

Dave
    That spuds extremely interesting. Any good examples of one of those chronos which you could point me to please?

IWC perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    ...assuming you don't get infected by the horrid and deadly flipperitis parasite. ;-)
    Naasty bug for sure.

Master

Blog Entries
    I had the Zenith el primero 1969 (38mm).

that would be my choice again. You can find it under 3k used.

Master

Cool

^^^^Lovely.....great size, fantastic movement, super heritage.....