closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing a speedy - which is less problematic, a 145.022 or a 3570.50?

Servicing a speedy - which is less problematic, a 145.022 or a 3570.50?

As with most people a Speedmaster Pro is on my wishlist, and I see little point in going brand new (especially with the recent £800 hike) so would look to go vintage or preowned. As far as I'm aware the 145.022 has only minor changes to the 3570.50 model. And prices for the watches themselves are reasonably similar (excluding those at either end of the pre-moon / pretty new spectrum).

But there might be differences from a servicing point of view.

Is it harder for independents to service one version over the other? (Availability of parts etc). Especially considering Omega are making it harder to source parts independently. This makes me think one of the earlier models might actually be easier to be serviced as there may well be plenty of older 'spares' out there compared to the newer 3570 that Omega are keeping hold of themselves. I'm kind of thinking (perhaps wrongly) that 145.022's can be serviced independently whereas 3570.50s will need to be shipped off to Omega to do.

What are your experiences with getting your Speedmasters serviced?

I could be wrong but they both have the same movement 861/1861. In which case there's probably little in it.

I should add the last 145.022 I had serviced cost £400 at an Indy.

Agree with above. Except for the finish on the plates I think it is the same movement.

Master
    Almost identical 861/1861 movement, so no difference in cost or parts availability.

The brake is different in the 1861 too I think, Delrin rather than metal?

That's reassuring then. Opens up a wider pool of choices. I may even hunt down a 1979 birth year one then.

I missed one on SC last year, and generally they're not especially desirable as they are - as I've heard them described - "neither pre-moon, or moon, just old".

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    That's reassuring then. Opens up a wider pool of choices. I may even hunt down a 1979 birth year one then.

I missed one on SC last year, and generally they're not especially desirable as they are - as I've heard them described - "neither pre-moon, or moon, just old".
    That was my '79 and it may not have been pre-moon or this or that but it was stunning and had more character than my 3570.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That was my '79 and it may not have been pre-moon or this or that but it was stunning and had more character than my 3570.

I don't think it was yours, but then that's also a good thing - it means they come up for sale more often than I expected. Yours looks / looked a beauty. Maybe the new owner will be looking for a new home for it in the next few months!

Master
    Have a look at this website mate . . . .

http://www.speedmaster101.com

I would not expect any difference in getting one or the other serviced if your watchmaker gets parts at all...

Craftsman
    I agree shouldn't be an issue- plenty of good experience on the forum using indy's - lots of advice to be had if you need opinions. Good luck with hunting down a 79!

Grand Master
    My advice on the classic moonwatch is simple; go for a fairly new one. The watch hasn`t altered significantly enough since the late 60s and the recent models are basically the same beast. Buying an old watch means buying a movement with lots of years of wear on it; even if it's been well serviced (most old watches haven`t) it's still an old watch. Prices are compressed, so there isn`t a massive difference between a 5-6 year old and a 30 year old. There's also the condition of the case and bracelet to consider; many are in a sorry state.

Much as I like vintage watches I don`t see any advantage with older versions of this model. As for the birth-year thing, it's madness IMO.

Look for something 5-10 years od in good condition, or push the boat out and get something a bit newer. As for parts availability, it'll get worse from next year on everything Omega. It'll be harder to get these watches serviced at reasonable prices, which is a shame because there's nothing difficult about working on them.

Paul