closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaked apple watch prices

Leaked apple watch prices

Prices goes up to 20k for gold/gold model

click

After I read about 12h battery life I couldn't care less.

Master
    That looks fairly legit, and those prices look about right - although they're pretty salty!

Didn't know about the 12hr battery life - that is shocking! Where did you hear that?

EDIT: Macrumors have confirmed that the pricing is pure speculation on the part of one of their forum members.

Still be interested to know where the 12hr battery info came from...
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 2nd March 2015 at 16:02.

Master
    I am a bit of an apple fan but it just doesn't interest me at all and if the battery life is only 12 hours then who wants to be charging there watch every day?

That said I am sure they will sell millions fob them!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    That looks fairly legit, and those prices look about right - although they're pretty salty!

Didn't know about the 12hr battery life - that is shocking! Where did you hear that?
    In the news they said Tim Cook is charging his watch every night.

Master
    I heard tha, but 12hrs would mean realistically charging during the day as well, surely?

Pah, who needs an Apple watch.

My U-Watch is just as good!

M

Yeah, these images and prices were probably drawn up from some recent articles, such as this one:

http://daringfireball.net/2015/02/apple_watch_pricing

It's a pretty good read actually.

Craftsman
    Despite using an iMac at work and really liking it I'm not going back to iOS and so an Apple watch would be no use to me. I'm not expecting them to be cheap, but one thing they have better than all the competition is a 38mm model. All the Android offerings so far are far too big. I'd go 42mm, but many are 45+ and the lug to lug is considerably larger.

JPMC reckon they will sell 26m units in 2015 - already in the Times as a "must have fashion accessory"

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    JPMC reckon they will sell 26m units in 2015 - already in the Times as a "must have fashion accessory"
    26M sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell 50M next year.

Master
    They're heavily promoting it to the women's fashion and sport market. I reckon that's where they'll have more penetration at least at first. Nerds and geeks, both IT and Watch kinds will likely not be their market at first. They did this before with the very first iMac, where it was also promoted in fashion magazines and the like as well as the usual computer media and it worked then so...

26m @ 400 USD = 10 billion USD or about half the Swiss Watch industry's exports and this is assuming just 5% take up of iPhone 5/6 owners.

Be interesting to see if this is extra spending or, given you can't wear two watches will end up replacing the Swiss watch for day to day use after the initial excitement has worn off.

Over the weekend this was confirmed as a fake. I believe it was put together by one of the members of the macrumors forums. I don't know where you're getting your 12 hour figures from but the only thing we know for sure is it will need to be recharged overnight. It depends on usage of course but I'd imagine you'd be looking at 3-4 hours of constant use.

Saying all that, I really can't figure out who this thing is aimed for.

26m @ 400 USD = 10 billion USD or about half the Swiss Watch industry's exports and this is assuming just 5% take up of iPhone 5/6 owners.

Global watch market is 1 billion watches. I am shure apple will bite off at least 10% of it.

I think the sales number are way optimistic . 50 million assumes 1/4 or 1/5 iphone users will buy it which i don't see by a long shot. 1 out of ten if there lucky. 20k for the same tech as the 300 dollar one bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Global watch market is 1 billion watches. I am shure apple will bite off at least 10% of it.
    Why? Does the Apple Tv dominate the set top box market? Look how Ipad sales are falling YoY. I think 70 percent of apples revenue comes from the iphone

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    20k for the same tech as the 300 dollar one bargain!
    You might argue the same for some mechanical watches!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    You might argue the same for some mechanical watches!

M.

You could well be right!

Grand Master
    The mistake is in thinking that this product, rather than being wearable technology which is what it is, is an analogue to a wristwatch, even a quartz wristwatch. With twice-daily charges and built-in obsolescence, it has the same chance as a mobile telephone of being chucked in the back of a drawer when it's outlived its usefulness upgrade cycles. How many people are still happily using Gen-1 iPhones, which are in their eighth year of age now?

I could some mileage in having a replaceable computer bit inside the case, like an old Omega Geneve, which you could just throw into the bin when it was time to upgrade. But I don't think they've done that.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    The mistake is in thinking that this product, rather than being wearable technology which is what it is, is an analogue to a wristwatch, even a quartz wristwatch. With twice-daily charges and built-in obsolescence, it has the same chance as a mobile telephone of being chucked in the back of a drawer when it's outlived its usefulness upgrade cycles. How many people are still happily using Gen-1 iPhones, which are in their eighth year of age now?

I could some mileage in having a replaceable computer bit inside the case, like an old Omega Geneve, which you could just throw into the bin when it was time to upgrade. But I don't think they've done that.
    Good points . What will be interesting to see is how many are still worn after say 5-6 months, after the charge 1 day, charge the next , oops i forgot today , oh i cannot be bothered and the person goes back to wearing there old watch or no watch.

Why? Does the Apple Tv dominate the set top box market? Look how Ipad sales are falling YoY. I think 70 percent of apples revenue comes from the iphone
    Ipad sales are declining simply because of customers are not replacing them every year like they do with phones. All tablet market is quite similar to PC market - people are not buying new computer every year. I am personally satisfied with my 2 years old ipad3 and I will not replace it anytime soon.

Set top box business is quite different from iphones, ipads and PC's. I don't think you will find single dominating product. However I think there is niché for feature and content rich set top box. Give it a time :)

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Ipad sales are declining simply because of customers are not replacing them every year like they do with phones. All tablet market is quite similar to PC market - people are not buying new computer every year. I am personally satisfied with my 2 years old ipad3 and I will not replace it anytime soon.

Set top box business is quite different from iphones, ipads and PC's. I don't think you will find single dominating product. However I think there is niché for feature and content rich set top box. Give it a time :)
    Agreed but i don't think the general population will replace the iwatch every 2-3 years either so i think the sales figures are way optimistic( thou if they want a usable iwatch they might have too because i can imagine the battery life being dire after 2-3 years)

20k for some disposable tech that will be worth scrap in a year when apple watch 2 comes out :O

Scarily someone will buy it, if only to say they have it and post some inane tweets/instagram pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    20k for some disposable tech that will be worth scrap in a year when apple watch 2 comes out :O

Scarily someone will buy it, if only to say they have it and post some inane tweets/instagram pictures.
    Still to footballers or hedge fund managers etc etc a days work or less

Agreed but i don't think the general population will replace the iwatch every 2-3 years either so i think the sales figures are way optimistic( thou if they want a usable iwatch they might have too because i can imagine the battery life being dire after 2-3 years)
    I think it will be very interesting to see if and how people will change their habits. I actually thought while ago that people will not be happy to replace 350$ apple watch every other year, but then people are replacing similarly priced fashion watches every 6-12 month. So, we will see how it will play out.

Craftsman

Be interesting to see if this is extra spending or, given you can't wear two watches will end up replacing the Swiss watch for day to day use after the initial excitement has worn off.
    Why can't you wear two watches? You have two wrists.

I could imagine myself wearing a connected device on my right wrist, and a traditional watch on me left, though admittedly probably only under a cuff.

Ideally once they are a bit smaller, and thinner especially, then having one on the underside of the wrist could be ideal. Montblanc and some others are looking at this route.

Master
    I personally think the Montblanc route is the most interesting one.
    There's no reason a Jawbone or Fitbit couldn't be made part of a bracelet or rubber strap that could be swapped onto your watch of choice.
    A 20mm Fitbit strap would fit several of my daily wearers...

The most interesting thing on those apparently leaked price lists is the text on each of the watches on the final two pages that reads: "Bands are not sold separately, only replacements are available."

So none of the more expensive straps or bracelets are available to bling up the cheap(er) Apple watch?

Master
    Apple Watch Edition to be priced from $10,000. Only available in limited quantities.

Magical!

Master
    Not much change from a grand for the (new magical type of) stainless steel with bracelet. Ridiculous imho!

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Apple Watch Edition to be priced from $10,000. Only available in limited quantities.

Magical!
    I genuinely didn't know what to say when I saw the price on Twitter. I'm still speechless now. And I'm an apple fan.

I was never going to buy one. That's not changed.

Craftsman
    Might shift a few of the cheaper ones though
    // snip
    Apple Watch is available in three collections, Apple Watch Sport, priced at $349 (US) and $399 (US); Apple Watch, available from $549 (US) to $1,099 (US); and Apple Watch Edition, crafted from custom rose or yellow 18-karat gold alloys, with prices starting at $10,000 (US).
    //

Al

Master
    What do the watches do? Absolute waste of time in my opinion

Crazy money for something that will be obsolete in a year! I won't bother, much rather have a nice mechanical watch that will last several generations!

Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    Might shift a few of the cheaper ones though
    // snip
    Apple Watch is available in three collections, Apple Watch Sport, priced at $349 (US) and $399 (US); Apple Watch, available from $549 (US) to $1,099 (US); and Apple Watch Edition, crafted from custom rose or yellow 18-karat gold alloys, with prices starting at $10,000 (US).
    //

Al
    Check the edition prices lol on the uk apple site £13.5k jokers

Is it April 1st already...?
    I was thinking about one of these but the prices are madness!!

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Not much change from a grand for the (new magical type of) stainless steel with bracelet. Ridiculous imho!
    And Apple gold is twice as hard as ordinary gold.

From the Apple website.
    18-carat yellow or rose gold case.

The custom gold alloy is up to twice as hard as standard gold.
    Probably forgot to anneal it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Is it April 1st already...?
    I was thinking about one of these but the prices are madness!!
    Can you imagine anyone buying a £10,000 watch? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    There are a few guys on here who have easy dropped more than 10k question is would anybody on here drop it on the iwatch?

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Yes. But perhaps not a new wristwatch that has a power reserve of less than 24 hours.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    OMG, I have never seen such stupid prices in my life the whole brand is now officially to coin a phrase a sell out. I would much rather drop 20K on a patek or more for real watches, not some toy that will need to be replaced.

As if anyone is going to pay those prices...

- - - Updated - - -

Then again it is Apple and the sheep do follow...

10 grand on a watch which will be replaced in a year by the next version, and what happens when the bug ridden OS upgrade happens- rendering the wrist wear useless. And you've got to have an iPhone to get the best out it.
    Never has a Rolex, Omega (insert name of your mechanical watch of choice) seemed more like value for money. 10 grand for a calculator watch on steroids, blimey.

Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    10 grand on a watch which will be replaced in a year by the next version, and what happens when the bug ridden OS upgrade happens- rendering the wrist wear useless. And you've got to have an iPhone to get the best out it.
    Never has a Rolex, Omega (insert name of your mechanical watch of choice) seemed more like value for money. 10 grand for a calculator watch on steroids, blimey.
    Hit the nail on the head there...

Banned
    Please shoot me dead if I ever buy one of those.

Craftsman
    As someone like everyone on here with a more than casual interest in watches I have absolutely zero interest in the iWatch or any equivalent

I saw a guy in the coffee shop yesterday with a Pebble smart watch on & boy my Explorer II felt good on the wrist!!! the Explorer just had so much style & substance that the plastic smart watch will never have!

£12k for a 42mm gold one. I'm a huge Apple fan but that is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Magical!
    Rich idiots are also available only in limited quantities.

Coincidence?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Fascinating.

The complaint is that:
    a) 10k is ludicrous for a gold watch
    b) the watch will be obsolete in a year
    c) 20k is fine on a mechanical watch that was obsolete 30 years ago?

;-p

And I say this as someone wearing a Glashutte Panograph ;p