closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budget dress(ish) watch suggestions

Journeyman

Budget dress(ish) watch suggestions

My other half recently borrowed my Tissot Visodate, the first mechanical watch I ever owned, took it off to do the dishes at a friends house and lost it...

I've pretty much given up hope of getting it back, so I'm looking for something similar to replace it, for similar money. It filled a nice spot in my collection for the days where I needed something to go with a suit at work. I'd like to use the irksome and highly unfortunate circumstances as an opportunity to pick up something a bit less vanilla, perhaps not a Swatch group/2824 piece. I'd be looking for something with a max size of 40mm, ideally smaller, probably not on a bracelet.

I'm thinking about a Seiko SARB, an Orient Star or Bambino, but I'd welcome suggestions, particularly on the affordable vintage side of things. I've done a search on this, but I'd be keen to get views on what's currently out there.

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    Did you have a budget in mind?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Did you have a budget in mind?
    No more than what I paid for the Tissot - so £400 tops.

You don't need a new watch: you need new friends. Surely if she took it off to wash the dishes it will still be somewhere at her friend's house?

Journeyman
    Indeed...

They've apparently turned the house upside down, it's a major source of contention. It may still turn up, but I've been back and forth for months with them and my other half about it. To be honest, its a good excuse to pick up something new, and if the Tissot turns up, it'll be a welcome bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by armchairpundit View Post
    I'm thinking about a Seiko SARB
    Why make it harder than it has to be? This is your answer right here.

Blog Entries
    My other half recently borrowed my Tissot Visodate, the first mechanical watch I ever owned, took it off to do the dishes at a friends house and lost it...
    They've apparently turned the house upside down, it's a major source of contention. It may still turn up, but I've been back and forth for months with them and my other half about it.
    Grrr.... that would drive me absolutely nuts. I detest things being lost in what seems such a careless manner.

I'm thinking about a Seiko SARB, an Orient Star or Bambino, but I'd welcome suggestions, particularly on the affordable vintage side of things. I've done a search on this, but I'd be keen to get views on what's currently out there.
    As I was reading this, I was thinking that Seiko or Orient Star would be ideal. :-)

As for affordable vintage, you might fancy looking at vintage King Seiko or Grand Seiko mechanicals (or King Quartz or Grand Quartz if you fancy quartz and even better value vintage than the mechanicals). There are several Japanese vendors of these on eBay. Quality is often good (or at least honestly described) and prices for King Seiko (mechanical), King Quartz, and Grand Quartz will often be in your price range for reasonable, every day wearable, quality. Vintage mechanical Grand Seikos are often slightly higher priced.

Don't forget to budget for the additional VAT @ 20% and the courier's handling fee when importing these. They will always get caught when coming from Japan.

If you do fancy going quartz, there really are some stunning King Quartz and Grand Quartz available. In particular, the Twin Quartz models greatly appeal to me.

P.S. Seiko Lord Matic mechanicals can also be had in every day wearable condition for not much money.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd March 2015 at 01:10. Reason: Added postscript

My first thought was a Smiths Everest...

M.

first things first, buy your other half a casio !

Something waterproof?

How about a vintage Omega Constellation?

Classic looks, fits within your budget and size requirements, and gets a big thumbs up from the watch collecting community.

How about a Hamilton Jazzmaster?

I had lots of.good suggestions on a similar thread recently:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...gement-present

Have a look at the Aevig facebook page. They're planning a new 40mm dress watch with trit tubes called, if I remember correctly, the Thor. Cringe. But it looks nice.

I hope you give her a good bitch slappin' ??

What about Eddies's PRS36?

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies so far. Some really interesting ideas here.

I'm particularly interested in the vintage Seiko quartzes, the (presumably non pie pan, Constellation) and I had totally overlooked the Smith's Cushion case, so that's definitely on the shortlist as well.

The Mrs is now the proud custodian of my F91W...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    What about Eddies's PRS36?
    Oh yes, excellent idea!

Blog Entries
    The Mrs is now the proud custodian of my F91W...
    <grin>