closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A touch of red

Master

A touch of red

So, I was out keeping the wife company during a shopping trip on Saturday when I found myself staring at a jewellers window finding it hard to resist the pull. But instead of going inside I headed off to a coffee shop with my wife.
    Self-restraint had won…

Well, at least until I’d finished my drink, when I decided to head back to the jewellers. Due to my unplanned purchase, I’ve had to sell my 39mm Hydro Conquest in order to keep in the good books of the better half
    I really liked that Hydro Conquest as well, was a potential keeper. The only watches I thought that I may have been tempted to replace it with were a Sub, or a Black Bay… and as I’d already managed to resist upgrading to a Sub last year I thought I was home & dry.

So… the watch which made me sell my Longines is…

Longines new Hydro Conquest.

I’d love to be able to claim that I thoroughly researched the reasons to change.. but the fact is I didn’t. I had seen threads 4 or 5mths ago with details on the new range and thought they looked pretty good in the release pictures (well, the 3-handers did). This was the first time I’d noticed one of the new models in the metal and it just instantly grabbed me through the window.

I’ve opted for the 41mm model this time. I found my previous 39mm model a good size and would have happily remained with that size, but the shift upwards has helped me get a better fit with the bracelet. The Hydro Conquest bracelets don’t come with a half-link and I found I had to wear my 39mm just the slightest bit loose with 3 links removed. The 41mm is longer lug-to-lug, and I can now get a perfect fit with 4 links removed.

At first glance there doesn’t appear to be a great deal changed on the new model apart from some new colours… however when you look closer there are… and not all changes necessarily for the best.

• Inside, Longines have changed from their Cal-L633 (based on an ETA 2824) and are now using the Cal-L619 (based on an ETA 2892). I’m not sure why this change has been made.. perhaps a marketing decision? I’ve seen a few suggestions that the 2892 has the edge over the 2824… I doubt whether it makes any real world difference. As a consequence though, the power reserve is now increased from 38hrs to 42hrs, so it could be argued that this change is for the better.
    • The bracelet loses the polished centre-links. I know a lot of people don’t like PCL’s on a sports watch but as this is a personal thing I’m not sure it can be said if the change is for the best or not. The one thing I do notice though is that the bracelet tapers by 2mm on this new watch. It didn’t taper on my old 39mm model, and I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t taper on the old 41mm model either… so people may find the new bracelet a bit easier to wear.
    • The dial layout has changed… gone are the larger 12, 6, 9… and now we have Arabic numerals all the way around. Again, this will be a personal thing, but I prefer the new layout. What I will say is that the new dial no longer benefits from the sunburst effect that the old dial had. It is now a solid deep black dial. Also, the applied numerals/indexes which the old model had have been dropped in favour of painted numerals/markers. I think this is a bit of a shame as I did prefer the raised lume plots on the old dial. A touch of colour has been introduced to the new dial by adding fine red borders to the hour markers and also red markers between the minutes. I think this suits a modern sports watch without being too in your face.
    • The Longines website states that the old model has “Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the underside”…. Whereas the new model is stated as having “Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, with several layers of anti-reflective coating on the underside”. Looking at old & new side by side, the new one does seem to reflect less light. However, this may just be down to the fact that it no longer has the sunburst dial reflecting light… whatever though, there’s definitely less glare.
    • Only other minor change I see is that they have dropped the meters/feet wording on the dial & clasp and are now using bar/meters.

All in all… I’m very happy with the new model, maybe even smitten. I’m not going to say it’s ‘better’, but somehow it feels like it’s grown up a little despite adding a flash of colour… which could easily have had the opposite effect. Thought I'd post up my thoughts for any fans of the Hydro Conquest range. Here's some quick pictures:

Cheers, Andy.

Craftsman
    Great review Andy.

I been waiting for someone to review one ever since I saw the promo material!

Conincidentally I popped in to my local AD on Saturday to try one on. Unfortunately they still do not have the new range in stock.

Two questions ?

The red and white woolen cuff in the pictures... Is it cardigan or jumper ?
    And was it a birthday or christmas present ?

Master
    Some of my pictures make the bezel look a bit more 'orangey' than in real life. It's a touch darker red, until the sun hits it, then it's a bright scarlet...
    Last edited by gorrie; 30th September 2013 at 14:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Two questions ?

The red and white woolen cuff in the pictures... Is it cardigan or jumper ?
    And was it a birthday or christmas present ?
    It's a jumper... and that was purchased by myself thank you very much. ;p
    Last edited by gorrie; 30th September 2013 at 14:27.

much prefer the new design ,41 size is spot on .
    must keep my eye on the prices for these !
    thanks for posting.

Interesting review, thanks for sharing that. I'm interested because I have the old 41mm version, and didn't even know until now that there is a new one! I do think the HydroConquest is a very nice watch and very good value for money.

So much is down to personal preference with watches, so I can see good and bad with the amendments to the new model (as far as my personal view is concerned). However, if someone had asked me my views on my HydroConquest before reading this, I would have said I like the watch but for three things. Ironically at least one of those things looks to be the same on your model, and perhaps all three.

The things I don't like about mine are -
    1. The marking on the clasp showing 300M/1000ft. I don't see the necessity of any markings there.
    2. The rattly bracelet.
    3. The poorly shaped, uncomfortable to use crown.

Of the three, the crown shape is my biggest gripe. I have no idea why Longines designed it with that "lip" around the end, but with a combination of that and the fact the movement is not the lightest to wind or set, I find it unpleasant to use.

I'm one of those people who quite like the polished centre links on the bracelet, and actually like the fact it doesn't taper as I prefer a wide bracelet on my 7.5" wrists, but of the other changes I like the (slightly smaller) numerals all round the dial (but prefer them to be applied). I also like the addition of a splash of colour to the new one and am glad to see they've retained the same caseback, which I think looks superb.

Enjoy wearing it, it looks really good!

Master
    Thanks Ian.. I tried to focus just on the changes that I'd spotted, but agree with you that I don't see the necessity for the depth markings on the clasp, and that the smooth lip on the crown makes things more fiddly than they need to be.
    However, I haven't experienced a rattly bracelet on these (either on my old one or this new one) and am actually quite impressed with the bracelet & end links. As for the tapering thing... the 39mm version has a narrower bracelet so the lack of tapering never bothered me... but I could imagine the non-tapering version on the old 41mm model would be a bit much for my skinny wrist.

On price... when the press shots were released a few months ago there was some forum chat that the price would be heading upwards. My AD sold this at exactly the same price as the existing model, so I think either Longines have decided not to cash in on the upward trend... or my AD got it wrong.

Nice review, I've been waiting for more photos and details on the new version.

I used to have the previous Hydroconquest and I do like the new version, I like the bracelet being all brushed on the new ones.

I like the white dial/red bezel one best...

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Thanks Ian.. I tried to focus just on the changes that I'd spotted, but agree with you that I don't see the necessity for the depth markings on the clasp, and that the smooth lip on the crown makes things more fiddly than they need to be.
    However, I haven't experienced a rattly bracelet on these (either on my old one or this new one) and am actually quite impressed with the bracelet & end links. As for the tapering thing... the 39mm version has a narrower bracelet so the lack of tapering never bothered me... but I could imagine the non-tapering version on the old 41mm model would be a bit much for my skinny wrist.

On price... when the press shots were released a few months ago there was some forum chat that the price would be heading upwards. My AD sold this at exactly the same price as the existing model, so I think either Longines have decided not to cash in on the upward trend... or my AD got it wrong.
    This is interesting Andy. I read your reply and as a result looked at my HC again. It turns out the main source of the rattling noise is the part of the clasp with the depth markings, where the micro-adjustment is. The bracelet itself has a little bit of "give", but I hadn't really investigated thoroughly until reading your comments! Whether or not there's anything I can do about it is another matter, but at least I know now where the noise is coming from, thanks!

From what you say about the price too, it sounds like you got a good deal. Well done.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian_O; 30th September 2013 at 18:18. Reason: Additional comment.

Master
    I had a HydroConquest and found the clasp rattled too :(

Also, the bezel was far too easy to turn by accident. Can you get bezels tightened?

Both a shame, because it's otherwise a terrific watch.

That's really nice. Had a blue 41mm a while back and it's a great watch for the money (only went as it was replaced by a Seamaster) but I do like the red bezel, will keep an eye out for these next time I'm in town.

Master
    Very nice watch well done

very nice, the longines brand is really starting to grow on me since my pulsometer purchase. may have to check this out at the ad

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear, must have, thx for bringing attention, I want one.

Smile

Thank you a very good review, of two lovely watches.
    Last edited by Nigeyp; 2nd March 2015 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    Nice review, I've been waiting for more photos and details on the new version.

I used to have the previous Hydroconquest and I do like the new version, I like the bracelet being all brushed on the new ones.

I like the white dial/red bezel one best...

I do like a white dial nice and clean looking ,

I have a Longines HC, and must say they are fantastic Watches.
    I tend to be a little over protective of mine.
    Your review is excellent thank you.

That looks incredibly like one of Roy's....the fabled RLT 36...AKA The 'Nautilus'. Only 21 made, I had No.15 for a while...and the number is engraved on the caseback...case and crown engraved after a design by Born...
    See here...http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/RLT%2036.html
    Last edited by RogertheDodger; 1st March 2015 at 21:03.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RogertheDodger View Post
    That looks incredibly like one of Roy's....the fabled RLT 36...AKA The 'Nautilus'. Only 21 made, I had No.15 for a while...and the number is engraved on the caseback...case and crown engraved after a design by Born...
    See here...http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/RLT%2036.html
    Very nice watch and a great insight into Roy's passion. I for one hope things work out with twf. Thanks for sharing .

White dial red bezel, that is so nice

There's been no mention of the lume at all here........Is it still quite mediocre ??

Yes the lume is mediocre when fully charged under say a bright light or in the sun its fine but tbh the lume on my citizen excalibur is better, anyone who really likes very bright lume would be best advised to look else where, it doesnt worry me because its 'good enough' but i must admit it would be the icing on the cake as it were to have extra bright lume, I think its supposed to be superluminova i think ive read that somewhere but i'm not convinced and stand to be corrected on that.

I guess it also depends how thick it's been applied, yeah ?