closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: That sinking feeling of buying a dud.

That sinking feeling of buying a dud.

Bought a 2001 sub date off eBay for 3500.

Seller is a dealer with good rep and great comms.

Watch had all box and papers and was serviced 2 years ago at watches of Switzerland. Seems good.

Arrived yesterday and when I pulled out the crown to handwind, the movement seems gritty and the stem sticks. Its quite a rough action and nothing like the smooth glide it should be.

Its running a bit fast over 24 hrs and the bracelet was filthy. Arse.

The seller has accepted the return but its just a bloody pain as I was really looking forward to this. Anyway, thought I'd gob off on a thread to share my annoyance.

Steve

Master
    Bought a 2003 Sub date via SC just recently for only a little more than you paid for yours from Fleabay.

No complaints about mine. Came with a recent service, box and papers and looks to all intents like a new watch and not one coming up for 12 years old.

The seller is well regarded here and so I had no concerns about the deal.

As far as I'm concerned, it's SC over Fleabay any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Bought a 2003 Sub date via SC just recently for only a little more than you paid for yours from Fleabay.

No complaints about mine. Came with a recent service, box and papers and looks to all intents like a new watch and not one coming up for 12 years old.

The seller is well regarded here and so I had no concerns about the deal.

As far as I'm concerned, it's SC over Fleabay any day of the week.

A bit of a 'told you so'. And you're completely right. I'm more annoyed with myself than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    A bit of a 'told you so'. And you're completely right. I'm more annoyed with myself than anything.
    Sounds like you did your due diligence TBH; seller feedback, recent service etc., sounds like you've been unlucky but seller has accepted the return so not to worry.

Master
    Fleabay
    cringe...

Anyway, OP - just be glad you have a good seller who will take the watch back without any quibbles.

Blog Entries
    Alot of pen people moan about fleebay (me included when it comes to fees) but it does come with good buyer protection, so although a pain in the arse it has served you well here. I have to date had good experiences on ebay but it does seam to have increased with the amount of d**kheads on there. Pays to be diligent and work within ebay rules. Never buy outside eBay when advertised on ebay and here's an example why.

Master
    Honestly, that wasn't my intention. You were told it had been serviced, so why wouldn't you think it would be in good order? The seller should have been aware of the issues you identified with it. Hope you get your refund without any grief.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    cringe...

Anyway, OP - just be glad you have a good seller who will take the watch back without any quibbles.
    Cringe? What's with that?

The buyer protection seems pretty good on Ebay.
    I hope you find another one very soon.

Cringe? What's with that?
    'Fleabay'

Never pull the trigger on any bad boy from Fleabay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    'Fleabay'

Ah, right enough😄. I trust the guys here who sell on Sales Corner and have never had cause for complaint. Never tried Fleabay and have no wish to do so.

Grand Master
    I`ve bought from ebay many times, and almost always done well, but that's on watches worth a few hundred. At this price level I`d never buy without handling the watch and assessing it myself, it's simply too much miney to risk. I`d rather spend the money to travel and be sure I was happy.

Price/cost isn`t everything, I`d rather pay a bit more and end up with a watch I`m happy with. We can be our own worst enemies at times when trying to save a few bob.

What's most disappointing about the OP's tale is the fact that the watch was sent out dirty. That reflects badly on the seller's attitude.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

What's most disappointing about the OP's tale is the fact that the watch was sent out dirty. That reflects badly on the seller's attitude.

Paul
    Got one recently with enough skin, dna and crap under the bezel to build a small person. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    Alot of pen people moan about fleebay (me included when it comes to fees) but it does come with good buyer protection, so although a pain in the arse it has served you well here. I have to date had good experiences on ebay but it does seam to have increased with the amount of d**kheads on there. Pays to be diligent and work within ebay rules. Never buy outside eBay when advertised on ebay and here's an example why.
    I beg to differ about protection.
    A few years ago I bought a sub.
    The box when arrived contained a fake plastic wallet
    Contacting the seller - I sent you a wTch mate and have your signature to say so (he didn't but does it add to the tale)
    Ebay didn't want to know
    Nor the police
    My bank came up trumps and covered it
    However - a month or so later I managed to speak to a bloke at ebay in Ireland - his mate was a boss in refunds and reexamine for the case
    I got a refund - pure fluke that i got this guy as it was a password prob but we got talking
    Sent him a bottle of malt

I advised my bank and retuned their money too

It is faaaaaar too risky

'Fleabay'

...unless it has new shoes on and you're replacing one that you've culled from the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Price/cost isn`t everything, I`d rather pay a bit more and end up with a watch I`m happy with. We can be our own worst enemies at times when trying to save a few bob.

Paul
    Good point.

I sold all my watches about a year ago and walked away from the hobby.

About 6 months ago I came into the money and it was enough for a second hand sub. It took me quite a while to come round to the idea of a watch and I finally decided to go for it. Tbh I think you're right that it's probably not enough for the right one and on a personal level I'm not sure if its worth it at all. Oh well, live and learn.

Steve

Master
    Bought a 2001 sub date off eBay for 3500.

Seller is a dealer with good rep and great comms.

Watch had all box and papers and was serviced 2 years ago at watches of Switzerland. Seems good.

Arrived yesterday and when I pulled out the crown to handwind, the movement seems gritty and the stem sticks. Its quite a rough action and nothing like the smooth glide it should be.

Its running a bit fast over 24 hrs and the bracelet was filthy. Arse.

The seller has accepted the return but its just a bloody pain as I was really looking forward to this. Anyway, thought I'd gob off on a thread to share my annoyance.

Steve
    I had a 2000 model on here unworn since service at the end of Jan.... 23 months warranty remaining, mint condition, up at £3650, and all I got was stupid offers.......go figure....

Sold it to my mates dad at asking price.....he's delighted with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I had a 2000 model on here unworn since service at the end of Jan.... 23 months warranty remaining, mint condition, up at £3650, and all I got was stupid offers.......go figure....

Sold it to my mates dad at asking price.....he's delighted with it..
    I saw that on sc and buggered around for too long.

An amusing story is the that i was going to buy it and even went so far as to tell my mates at work that I had found the right one on my geeky forum and would be ahem 'pulling the trigger' . It sold and I looked a bit of a tit.

Master
    I saw that on sc and buggered around for too long.

An amusing story is the that i was going to buy it and even went so far as to tell my mates at work that I had found the right one on my geeky forum and would be ahem 'pulling the trigger' . It sold and I looked a bit of a tit.
    Shame....I'd have loved for it to have gone to someone on the forum....... I've had a few Subs and seadwellers, and this one was one of the nicest I'd seen.....nicer even than my LV, and if it wasn't for an emotional attachment to the LV I'd have sold that and kept the older one

Following the stupid £3k offers I got a bit annoyed and thought its just to good to give away, so I'll stick it in the cupboard for a year or so?...It wasn't going to drop in value..... Then as I say, my mates dad didn't hesitate, and wrote me a cheque there and then.......c'est la vie as they say.......

Now can I interest you in a lovely JLC Memovox ????? :-)

Craftsman
    Gutted but at least the return process has been relatively hassle free for you.

Just to add my twopenny'th...while I'm a refugee from TWF as the forum's down, I always prefer to buy from the SC because we're all watch fanatics and wouldn't rip each other off (I hope)....anyone who did would be ousted pronto...
    That said, I did once get a complete bargain from eBay...the seller's pic was completely out of focus, the description was minimal to say the least, I took a punt, and what turned up was a delightful surprise....
    Yellow Seiko 7T32...£40 quids worth....
    Last edited by RogertheDodger; 1st March 2015 at 19:18.

Master
    There's nothing wrong with ebay. I just bought a Speedmaster 105012 this week. From a German dealer, he had it advertised on ebay, chrono24 and his website all at the same price.

So I chose contact him via ebay and paid using paypal. Why wouldn't I, extra protection.

If I'd waited for one to come up on SC I could have been waiting months or years, and then I might have missed out. The better stuff sells within minutes (people have alerts).

I agree with OP it was inconvenience he had, but no more than ordering a pair of jeans from ASOS or alike and finding they don't fit.

I love the 'experts' who scoff at fleabay.

There's nothing wrong with it if you have a couple of brain cells. The OP just got unlucky

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I love the 'experts' who scoff at fleabay.
    It's more scoffing about calling it Fleabay.

It's more scoffing about calling it Fleabay.
    Ah, I see

I think it's a good name for the world's largest online flea market