closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a fav manufacturer ?

Craftsman

Do you have a fav manufacturer ?

There are many watches I desire, I really want a Rolex White faced Daytona, I want to own a Patek Philippe to keep BUT my love for Omegas is growing all the time, my daily wear for last three years has been a Seamaster 007 with black dial which is so comfortable.

I can't stop looking at retro omegas a few recently been on SC, the flightmaster was lovely and a couple of others listed in last few days.

So much so I just ordered a 1974 Omega Constellation f300 with a gold plated case from another site.

I can see my collection building with these lower cost vintage Omegas over the coming months, I think they are so cool compared to a lot of the boring modern designs.

Do we have any other Omega lovers here ???

Wink

Rolex are probably because of the sub, then Omega because of the PO, then at the mo Longines because of my new Hydro Conquest (bit of a diver theme there).

Jaeger-LeCoultre.

They took me away from the Submariners, SuperOceans and Speedmasters and into a different world of complications and finishing.

Although I own only one at the moment, a Duometre Chronograph, my collection has developed from owning various JLC calendars, alarms, 8 day movements and chronographs.

Fortis, because of their art editions.

Master
    It's omega for me, I picked up a speedy over Christmas which is waiting for me as a 40th present from all the family after its spruce up by Paul (walkerwek). The step up in quality had me hooked and I have since picked up an AT which I love. I have a feeling another may follow when funds permit probably a PO.

One thing I have learnt though is that this watch lark is a very fickle business, I can't rule out my favourite brand changing as time and possibly budget progresses!
    Last edited by StuS; 28th February 2015 at 19:58.

Blog Entries
    I love rolex and had most of the sports watch, burnt the moment I cannot take of my 2 year old POC. Just put a new Omega leather strap on t and love it.

Two ends of the spectrum for me, I think Omega at the top end for me and at the bottom end Seiko plus many others inbetween.

Master
    Rolex, AP and PP for me. Maybe a Lange one day.

Precista, Smiths and Seiko.

Without really intending to at first, I have now accumulated a Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster MkII Racing Dial, SMPc, Speedsonic f300, flightmaster 910, Seamaster Chronograph and most recently a Seamaster Chronostop. So I guess I am drawn to Omega.

Master
    If money were no object, Lange, but Omega in the world of affordability. AT and Speedmaster are just fantastic

I really like a lot of the models GO are making - interesting complications such as the Counter and 31 day forward alarm and of course possibly the best implementation of a large date. Couple that with a high level of finish, nicely decorated swan neck movements and interesting dial designs and there is a lot to like about GO.

Rolex (and vintage Tudor) would also feature on my favourite manufactories ... just because I love submariners and snowflakes :-)

JLC for me :)
    Overall compared to any other manufacturer they a wider range of models that appeal to me.

Master
    It's been a journey for me ... favourites started with Omega then IWC then Cartier in terms of ownership.
    Next will be AP or VC.

It just depends which way the wind is blowing for me. There are a lot of seikos I'd like to pick up. I'd like a speedy. I'd like the vintage citizen that looks like the speedy. I'd like to mod an invicta to look like a doxa. I'd like a doxa. I could go on.

I have a soft spot for JLC. But I am also a big fan of IWC and Omega. Oh, and GO and Panerai. I guess I don't really have one fave...

PP and Ulysse Nardin for me.

Having said that, I do have a number of late 60's/early 70's Omegas and find this their best era for me.

Malc

Rolex and Seiko are favourites, but only specific vintage(ish) models. I find that none of the modern stuff does it for me.

Rolex - for holding value.
    Seiko - for being value.

Then I also like Glycine, Zenith, Vulcain and Orient.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Rolex - for holding value.
    Seiko - for being value.

Then I also like Glycine, Zenith, Vulcain and Orient.
    A nice way of summing things up :-)

Master
    Longines for me. Legacy/connection with my dad who turned me on to them at an early age. I have or have had examples from every decade of the 20th century from the teens to the eighties. Though looking at their range these days one could be forgiven for thinking they're still vintage. ;) Plus for a very long time and even today when vintage prices have strengthened, outside of some models they're usually very good value. Zenith are another vintage brand I like. Omega for some reason never really did it for me, save for one of their 1930's pilots watches and their early 70's quartz endeavours which I just love. Sadly, they were always out of my budget though I do have an Omega Seamaster Mariner 1. I've had a few Girard Perregaux over the years, these days limited to their first quartz examples. I like 1970's LIP's from France as they're just wacky in a way only our French cousins can get away with. :)

Banned
    I'd probably have to say Breitling, as I've more of them than anything else. Saying that I tend to prefer their older watches tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Longines for me.
    You know... I was looking at a Hydroconquest today in an AD and I really need to say that that is some value for money. So, I ad Longines to my list as my Missus simply adores her Dolce Vita.

Sinn

(especially their more vintage creations)

Master
    Favourite brand? Now there's a thread idea that's never been done before!

Blog Entries
    Limit.
    Lorus

Master
    Blog Entries
    For me Zenith.

Up to the time I found TZ I only knew of the stuff stocked in my chain jewellers as well as rolex.

Looking at what's out there I love that Zenith are fully house, won more horological awards than any other manufacturer and the fit and finish on mine are up there with the PP, AP, VC, JLC, GO big boys.

Apprentice
    I like several brands but somehow ended up with these:

Master
    I haven't owned enough to say for sure, I am quite brand orientated when it comes to watches though, as in I need to like the brand and how I percieve/it makes me feel as well as like the watch itself (I guess this is actually only the case over a certain price point).

I own an Omega and love my Speedmaster but not overly drawn to another one, maybe a blue seamaster.

I know I want a Rolex (likely older pre-ceramic, as i am less of a fan of bling especially on a Rolex) and an IWC just I like those brands.

Also would like a watch from one step up the horological ladder, likely JLC or GO.

Finally I also have an affinity for Bremont as they are british and make good looking watches, I am not committed to owning one yet though as I chop and change whether I like where the brand is headed.

Wow what a waffle!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Brand to wear = Rolex
    Brand to admire from afar = GO

Quote Originally Posted by AAMC View Post
    I like several brands but somehow ended up with these:

A man after my own heart.They are stunning!

Master
    In order (probably), Rolex, AP, Omega and Breitling (can't separate), Casio, Sinn......

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Thanks!

Plus, I'm having so much fun with the straps

Lemania. Now sadly subsumed into the Swatch Empire. Most of my favourite watches are either Lemania branded or use their movements or are derived from them. I am a particular admirer of centre minute hand chronographs based on 1500 or 134x. For me the pinnacle of the mechanical chronograph.

At the moment I'm saving for a British Military Asymmetric single pusher chronograph, black or white faced dial - I'm not fussy. And I've always had a thing for the Sinn 156. One day...
    Last edited by Harry Tuttle; 1st March 2015 at 00:52.

Banned
    Chanel

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle
    Lemania.
    Oh speaking as a vintage saddo, I hear you, I so hear you. Lemania were such an incredible influence of the history of the wristwatch and are so often forgotten these days. They make Heuer and others look like also rans.

Banned
    I have my reasons. Here is one of them:

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Favourite brand? Now there's a thread idea that's never been done before!
    The longer you hang about, the more things repeat themselves. That's life!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    The longer you let it hang about, the more Likely you are to get arrested. That's life!
    An alternative version...

Master
    I have my reasons. Here is one of them:
    ... OK... in fairness J.... yea I can get behind that(on a few levels).

Master
    GO all the way!
    Seiko & Damasko a distant second.

Craftsman
    Bottom right is beautiful !

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post

Master
    Another JLC appreciator here. The combination of movements, dials, relative value for money and general independence appeals hugely.

I suspect Lange would be up there too, if I could ever get to that level ;)

Craftsman
    Rolex, nearly all of their models just seem to work for me. With other brands it's a lot more hit and miss.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
    Rolex, nearly all of their models just seem to work for me. With other brands it's a lot more hit and miss.
    I used to like Breitling for the same reason - almost everthing they made from the standard Navitimer, the earlier Aerospaces, the human-sized Chronomats to the sensible but highly specified Colt/Superoceans. Intricately engineered, and hardly any of their watches put me right off with the exception of the Hercules and later, the Super Avenger. But then they started making most of their watches look like the Hercules and the Super Avenger, and started taking cost out by simplifying them and then putting the price up. So no. But a mint Superocean Professional is a great do-anything watch, only its thickness rankles (~0.6mm thicker than a Moonwatch, in case anyone's wondering).

Today it's Glycine - especially since they stopped making those silly "PlayaZ" watches and things with "BJ" on the dial. I'd have one of their Airmans (Airmen?) in a heartbeat. Not a high street brand, though, so very much under-the-radar here.
    Last edited by andrew; 1st March 2015 at 11:38.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Omega for me both new and vintage. I have a speedmaster which I've had for 4 years and can't see me letting it go. I also got my dad a nice omega hummer for his 70th and he loves it.

An alternative version...
    Excellent!

Do i have a fav manufactuer?...nope, but i do have plenty i avoid

I suppose given I collect Seikos, it would be have to be Seiko. I love the value and also the design - a lot of the vintage ones are just so well designed and screwed together. I love Rolex but the ones I like are a small proportion of the range, so for higher end, it would have to be Omega. I had a Speedie Pro and it was great and the Flightmaster (910 & 911) are just stunning. Add that to the classic Seamasters and the Ploprof and you've got a fantastic set of watches. Weirdly I also like G Shocks but that's for a totally different reason!

Craftsman
    It used to be Breitling for me but over the last year or two I've really started to like the Omega brand. I really like most of the current designs unfortunately don't have the funds to buy them all.