closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay Scam - but what is the angle

Ebay Scam - but what is the angle

I sold my Seamaster Chrono on the Bay last night, the buyer used Buy It Now.

Trouble was he had Zero feedback and only registered yesterday.
    However Mr Harris Hall, has a UK address - in Manchester.

I Googled the address and it is for an auction house, so I phoned them and they do not know Mr Hall - big supprise.

Then I get this ? (see below ====)

A Scam and complete waste of my time - I have reported to Ebay

But what would be the end result if I was daft enough to believe him, I guess that he pays with a stolen card, or Paypal account and the money appears and then disappears after I send the watch

Any thoughts or experience of this type of scam?

Cheers
    Mark

==========

Yes i will pay via paypal
    thank you...Rev Harris

and this...
    ===========
    Compliment of the day,I am Rev harris hall From united kindom In Londom, but prensently in holland For a catholic church organization meeting
    one of our fellow church will be having a CHARITY HOME ANNIVERSARY at the St ANTHONY CATHOLIC CHURCH In Lagos Nigeria

and we need some items in other to make the ANNIVERSARY a successful one,
    I saw your item advert on ebay (130135803905) and i'm interested in buying Because i think it will be great for the anneversory holding in Lagos, Nigeria.
    Please kindly Get back to me as soon as possible and don't forget to send me
    the total cost including the cost of shipping to Lagos, Nigeria.
    I will be sending you my payment via PayPal,So kindly send me your (PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS) so as to immediately
    make out my payment.Make sure you get the package ready for immediate or next day shipment okay?.Plz i want the
    item to be shipped via (DHL) OR UPS Express shipping to Nigeria. Expecting your reply so as to immediately make out
    my payment.

Regards
    N.B SEND ME AND INVOICE THROUGH MY EMAIL ADDRESS BECOS I HAVE INFROMED EBAY TO CLOSED MY ID BECOS I HAVE
    FIND OUT THE ITEM AM INTERESTED ON FROM YOU
    Rev Harris Hall

Sounds like a new version of the Nigerian Scam!

Good for you for trusting yout gut instinct!

Exactly as you put it. The money appears in your paypal, you send the watch. A few weeks later, the transaction is reversed due to it being unauthorised on a stolen or cloned card, you have lost the watch and you are down a substantial amount of money and paypal start threatening debt collectors.

Go into your account settings and flag your auctions so that no one on less than 5 positives can bid. Also that "BuyItNow" requires immediate payment. That scuppers most of the villains from the dark continent.

Master
    Reverend Harris Hall. Where on f**k's earth do they come up with these names? :D

If half the effort and creativity these Nigerian racaille exhibit was put into legitimate endeavours, Nigeria would be as rich as Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by scottee
    Reverend Harris Hall. Where on f**k's earth do they come up with these names? :D
    Scottee,

I think his brother's the famous Church Hall. No doubt at theological college with the Rev. Counter and Parson Snoze.

Anyhow - not being a religious sort, Im a bit confused - but arent Catholic priests styled Father rather than Rev?

Rgds

D

PS (Watched 'From Russia with Love' last night - the villain orders red wine with his fish & thus 007 knew he was a wrong 'un. Perhaps Harris should check his etiquette book before scamming next time.)

:D :D

If there was ever a total Internet outage for a few days, the Nigerian economy would collapse.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    How increbibly annoying are these scams!!!! :evil:

Now you have to go through the hassle of readvertising and waiting to have your fees reimbursed etc etc

I would be interested in knowing what ebay are doing to vet or verify the information provided by most new members.....although i think i already know the answer!

Anyway.... hope your sale goes well when finally resolved and thanks for sharing the info

Mike :wink:

Thanks to all for the feedback...

Yes very annoying, I have now set as many blocks as I can ? could not find the one that blocks less than 5 feedback my pick list says -1 -2 and -3?

I much prefer fixed price auctions with a Best offer option.
    If you set the price a bit higher then you get a chance to look at some of the buyers stats before you accept their offer.. ?Buy the Buyer?

I also block various countries but in this case he registered as if he was in the UK, presumably just grabbed an address and post code from a Google search. - Yes Ebay should make more effort to check out information supplied before allowing new buyers to bid on expensive items.

It?s a pain but in fairness the first time it has happened to me, luckily I got suspicious before I sent an invoice as if I had done this he would have gotten my address too.

Fortunately I have someone interested through my Sales corner advert so may not need to use Ebay to re-list.

Take care it?s a jungle out there!

Cheers
    Mark

Master
    [oops double post]
    Getting tired of Ming the Merciless :wink:

Master

Re: Ebay Scam - but what is the angle

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEg
    . . But what would be the end result if I was daft enough to believe him . . .
    A common ploy is:
    Buyer pays with a credit card through PayPal.
    PayPal credits your account.
    You send the watch, probably by some non-trackable means at request of Buyer.
    Buyer claims money back from his credit card company for non-receipt of goods.
    Credit Card company refunds Buyer's charge after some investigation.
    Credit Card company then back-charges PayPal.
    PayPal debits your account without warning.

No watch and no dinero = :(
    One reason why I've quit shipping internationally (except to Forum dudes).

Now you know why I won't accept PayPal. At least the credit card companies carry out rudimentary checks on payment and a decent investigation in the event of a dispute. I'll stick with my merchant account with the credit card companies, thank you.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    [quote = "The 'Rev.' Harris Hall"]N.B SEND ME AND INVOICE THROUGH MY EMAIL ADDRESS BECOS I HAVE INFROMED EBAY TO CLOSED MY ID BECOS I HAVE FIND OUT THE ITEM AM INTERESTED ON FROM YOU
    Rev Harris Hall[/quote]

I have puzzled and puzzled why these jerks use bad spelling and broken English in their scams and then sign with some grandiose title that implies they should know better!

I think I have just figured it out. They use it deliberately as a filter to exclude responses from educated, intelligent folks like we WIS such that only fools actually respond. For it is well known that "a fool and his money . . . . . "

Re: Ebay Scam - but what is the angle

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEg
    . . But what would be the end result if I was daft enough to believe him . . .
    A common ploy is:
    Buyer pays with a credit card through PayPal.
    PayPal credits your account.
    You send the watch, probably by some non-trackable means at request of Buyer.
    Buyer claims money back from his credit card company for non-receipt of goods.
    Credit Card company refunds Buyer's charge after some investigation.
    Credit Card company then back-charges PayPal.
    PayPal debits your account without warning.

No watch and no dinero = :(
    One reason why I've quit shipping internationally (except to Forum dudes).
    Substitute pen for watch and you have my story exactly - including the without warning
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32274

Master
    This kind of thing totally winds me up!

Good on you for spotting it in time.

Buggers.

quite agree it ffin annoys me as well :twisted:

I agree gang.

It has been said before - set your account with a minimum feedback rating to bid (suggest 5-10) and for a 'Buy it Now' make it instant payment. Immediatly transfer any Paypal balance = keep no more than £1 in credit.

Good luck - Ebay ain't ain't all bad - yet :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........