closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharedealing 101

Craftsman

Sharedealing 101

Forgot to add, if you hold shares, always set a stop/loss. I usually set a 10% stop/loss which I adjust upwards ad hoc if prices rise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tswatch66; 30th March 2017 at 14:38.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    You can make decent returns if you're willing to lend P2P - I've made over 6% from Zopa in the last couple of years - but otherwise, Hargreaves Lansdown and index funds are fairly foolproof.
    I'm a bit wary of P2P, though I have used ZOPA in the past. As of now I think they are still unregulated by the FCA and they certainly have not been around long enough to have weathered a financial crisis. CAVEAT EMPTOR with these for me ATM.

Master
    Vanguard US Equity Index
    Vanguard UK All share index
    Vanguard UK short term investment grade Bonds

Or just opt for one of the Lifestrategy Funds to suit your own needs.

Times are quite interesting now. Market seems to be quite jittery at the moment, so I've stuck most of my money into some bond funds, after holding onto cash for quite a while after selling equities. Did miss out on the big equity rally since I sold early .

After some research the Hargreaves Lansdown Wealth 150+ are actually pretty decent, overall their performance is good and since they negotiate management fees with the funds you get quite a hefty percentage off which makes a big difference long term.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    Forgot to add, if you hold shares, always set a stop/loss. I usually set a 10% stop/loss which I adjust upwards ad hoc if prices rise.

I agree that you should set a stop/loss and 10% is generally the norm. But there is a risk of getting stopped out and the share bouncing back before you can buy back in. Also, if a share is tanking big time on bad news, you have the added risk of the stop/loss kicking in and selling your shares at a much lower price than your 10% stop/loss limit. I prefer not to use stop/loss limits and use a dip as a buying opportunity.

I don't know anything about bonds, what are they and how do they work?

Craftsman
    If you like me want some insulation from a downturn, some structured instruments like turbos may be worth considering. I haven't bought any yet but I am researching these ATM. Here's an excerpt from the adventurous investor, who sometimes takes a contrarian view. I'd be interested in any other opinions on these or other forms of downside protection.

Craftsman

Sharedealing 101

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post
    I agree that you should set a stop/loss and 10% is generally the norm. But there is a risk of getting stopped out and the share bouncing back before you can buy back in. Also, if a share is tanking big time on bad news, you have the added risk of the stop/loss kicking in and selling your shares at a much lower price than your 10% stop/loss limit. I prefer not to use stop/loss limits and use a dip as a buying opportunity.

I don't know anything about bonds, what are they and how do they work?
    The ones I buy/sell are traded on the LSE in the ORB market, new issues are normally available from your platform of choice, Hargreaves Lansdowne, A J Bell (other platforms are available!). Basically you are lending the entity money with a fixed coupon paid to you yearly and the full bond face value returned to you at the end of the term. There is capital risk but probably less than P2P imho if you buy wisely. Oliver Butt's Bond of the week column on the Fixed Income Investor website is a good place to go to to learn more.

P.s. It's certainly not a racy investment but my aim is not to get any poorer at my stage. If you want excitement buy a Chinese based Aim stock but be prepared to wave goodbye to your cash potentially.

http://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/default.html

Last edited by tswatch66; 2nd April 2017 at 14:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    If you like me want some insulation from a downturn, some structured instruments like turbos may be worth considering. I haven't bought any yet but I am researching these ATM. Here's an excerpt from the adventurous investor, who sometimes takes a contrarian view. I'd be interested in any other opinions on these or other forms of downside protection.

Is this basically a hedge?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Is this basically a hedge?
    Yes, but they top out (become worthless) if the market reaches a certain level so you're essentially betting on a downturn before the ftse reaches whatever value is set (depending on the derivative ). Effectively downturn insurance. Not convinced about this but I'm looking at ways to preserve capital in a downturn. Others have said buy gold, bonds etc.

Craftsman
    Back to bonds, I see the value rate of a bond (cost to purchase) can be higher than its original issue price.

If I were to buy into a bond that matures in 5 years time and I pay 120p for for each bond, but the issue price was 100p. When the bond matures would I get the issue price back (100p) or the price I paid (120p)?

Craftsman
    100p in that instance.