closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vostok Amphibia mods

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahgirl View Post
    Very Nice looking watch! , where did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's fully customized save for the dial. I collected all the parts from Meranom and the bezel insert is from dlw watches (or Dwl maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    It's fully customized save for the dial. I collected all the parts from Meranom and the bezel insert is from dlw watches (or Dwl maybe?)
    This is it I believe:

http://www.dlwwatches.com/

Haven't ordered one up yet but will be getting at least one to give it a go. The inserts are for Seiko SKX bezels, so should work with one of the Vostok bezels designed for Seiko inserts, although the ceramic bezels do appear to come in a few different sizes, so I don't think all will be suitable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    This is it I believe:

http://www.dlwwatches.com/

Haven't ordered one up yet but will be getting at least one to give it a go. The inserts are for Seiko SKX bezels, so should work with one of the Vostok bezels designed for Seiko inserts, although the ceramic bezels do appear to come in a few different sizes, so I don't think all will be suitable.
    They do fit but the height of the acrylic crystal makes them crack upon bezel installment so you need two or three adhesive rings (Degaz watch co) stacked to make certain the ceramic insert clears the crystal. Worth it though.

The last bits and bobs for my next mod arrived this afternoon and I couldn't wait to put this one together.

This is a 710SE from Meranom which possibly didn't really need modding. It's one of his best SEs so far IMO. I had a few ideas, however, so a few changes were made:

Vostok Amphibia 710SE by wotsch2, on Flickr

I particularly like the chunky coined bezel from Dr. Seikostain on eBay. The subtle gunmetal grey insert is also from him.

I had the case bead-blasted for a smooth, matte finish. I also sent one of Meranom's after-market steel straps and the bezel for the same treatment.

The crown is also bead-blasted.

The dial on this is great. Apparently it's metal and it has a great finish and pressed numerals.

I hope you like it.

Cheers,
    -wotsch

Craftsman
    That's lovely!
    I've not seen the black faced version on their site
    Last edited by ukmidnite; 18th August 2016 at 07:43.

It was available for a while and then sold out. Then it came back again briefly but seems to be sold out again. I didn't order one the first time around and regretted it so, as soon as I saw it was back, I grabbed one.

Craftsman
    Just ordered the blue faced version and a purple bezel combo... The full lumed face looks interesting too....

Tool recommendations?

Anyone use a proper bezel removal tool? I've been using a case knife and some plastic to protect the case but this isn't perfect because sometimes the bezel is stubborn, and sometimes the case knife cuts through the plastic / layers of tape (I've tried a few things). A couple of cases have got marked, which displeases me (although fortunately they aren't vintage ones and I have some spare cases).

Case opener. I seem to have misplaced mine, but I can't remember exactly where I got it. Could probably do with something a bit better anyway. The only one I can find right now apart from my friction type won't open Vostok-type cases because the pins are too thick. I could do with something that will handle Vostok locking rings, but also a range of other casebacks where a friction opener won't do the job.

Hand removal & setting tools. I've never tried these before. Want to make sure I get good ones that won't leave pinch-marks or warp the hands. Since this is something I'll probably use a lot in the future, it's worth investing in something decent. Is Bergeon the only way to go here?

Suggestions? Also I'd prefer not to buy anything from Cousins if it can be avoided.

Craftsman

There doesn't appear to be a brand specific thread with any activity so this being the most current I'll ask here if I may?

I have a 420 but am thinking of getting a 2415 equipped 710. Realistically, how large (or preferably small) does the 710 Ministry case wear? Compared for example to a Seiko SKX diver.

I've seen the dimensions but there's only so much measurements can tell you.
    As a comparison, sort of, I particular dislike the way the Seiko sits as it does with it's bulbous case back, while the 420 is rather like a small limpet mine strapped to the wrist. I was rather hoping the angles of the 710 might make it preferable if the watch is suitable for a 6¾" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post

I've seen the dimensions but there's only so much measurements can tell you...
    I think the 710 wears better than the 007 mainly because it curves slightly to hug the wrist. I have quite a few of this case style. If you PM me I'd be happy to lend you one for a day or so!

There doesn't appear to be a brand specific thread with any activity so this being the most current I'll ask here if I may?

I have a 420 but am thinking of getting a 2415 equipped 710. Realistically, how large (or preferably small) does the 710 Ministry case wear? Compared for example to a Seiko SKX diver.

As a comparison, sort of, I particular dislike the way the Seiko sits as it does with it's bulbous case back, while the 420 is rather like a small limpet mine strapped to the wrist. I was rather hoping the angles of the 710 might make it preferable if the watch is suitable for a 6¾" wrist.
    There is a good case comparison thread on WUS, go to the first post:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/amp...vy-860725.html

These help at all?

Gosh, just signed in and seen the replies, thank you gents.

Draygo; an incredibly kind offer, really, thank you.
    ed335d; yes, extraordinarily helpful and they certainly do.

Fairly assured from the comparison - and taking a piece of paper to screen - that the 710 has rather more wrist presence than I can work with which rules this model out. The 100 or 120 might be preferable then I think and both still available with the non-date 2415.

Thanks all for your posts, cheers.

Craftsman
    Updated with new chapter ring, steel crown, caseback and roter:

That looks splendid!

The gold chapter ring is a great touch

Very nice Grandsire especially the gold handset and chapter.

Master
    Nice mod! Love the display back :)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    Updated with new chapter ring, steel crown, caseback and roter:

You really need to let that one go mate.

Good work!

Craftsman
    Just seen the replies. Thanks for the kind words, a truely pucker watchmaker helped make its looks come true. A 2015 xmas gift from the misses so very sentimental

This just in

Now looks like this

Really not sure about it.

Think I'm going to nickname it 'Scooby'

Master
    How did you remove the chrome or did you buy it like that? Always liked these but they're a heck of a chunk of metal which has put me off in the past.
    Looks good btw got a couple on the way from Russia, waiting with anticipation!

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    How did you remove the chrome or did you buy it like that? Always liked these but they're a heck of a chunk of metal which has put me off in the past.
    Looks good btw got a couple on the way from Russia, waiting with anticipation!
    Bought it like that from Meranom - a whole $6

Brows the 'classic' spare parts

Master
    Cheers Ed!

I mentioned here that I wasn't entirely happy with the legibility of my 120658 with green bezel and that I had a replacement black handset ready to fit.

I finally got round to making the swap, and although I'm much happier with the improved visibility of the hour and minute hands I'm not sure whether I should have left the red second hand in place.

Craftsman
    I think leaving the red second hand on would have been a good shout, gives a nice wee splash of colour against the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a big improvement I think.

No sure about the red second hand - it would make it busier perhaps. I like that one.

My vote would be for the red second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsch View Post
    My vote would be for the red second hand.
    Thanks, I'm thinking along those lines, it won't take too long to switch it over.

I'm a complete Vostok Amphibia noob but fancy dipping my toes in this particular pond. Where's best to look/buy from? Ebay?

Thanks for the observations and opinions, I have put the red second hand back on and now really like the overall look.
    I think that it's the best combination with the bits I have.

That looks splendid.

Good choice going with the red seconds hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    That looks splendid.

Good choice going with the red seconds hand.
    I agree. IMO it was too harsh with the black second hand. The red softens it by adding a little colour.

Many thanks. It is surprising what a difference an apparently minor change makes. The legibility is great now, I was really struggling before and consequently very rarely wore it.

Dave Murphy did this one for me, when I bought one of his watches he used for creating his custom bezels. I asked him to bead blast the case and had him order a Chinese steel bracelet from a somewhat better quality then the stock steel bracelet it came originally on. Since we knew each other on PMWF he did all the extra's for free, a great guy! I'll show some pics he made in his backyard in winter and some in mine...

BTW, I really would like to change one more thing, and that is the minute and hour hand for the "windmill" type, I love the red seconds hand....

Very nice.

This thread (and the Curta Amphibia one) reminded me I had an unloved scuba dude knocking about. Really never liked the bezel.
    So a short browse on eBay later I had something I thought would look a little better on order.
    After surprisingly quick delivery from the Ukraine I collected it from the post office this morning.

Ridiculously easy 'mod' - took longer locating a knife than doing the bezel swap, but I'm very pleased with the results of my minimal efforts. Quick rummage in the strap box led to a dusty Dreadnought strap getting a soapy wash and there we go. Unloved to this weekends watch of choice in five minutes...

Thanks for the reminder Mr Curta!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Took my new toy as close to its natural environment as it's ever likely to get on my wrist today...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Took my new toy as close to its natural environment as it's ever likely to get on my wrist today...
    Nice bezel mod, I much prefer that look on Amphibias.

But you've got to get it wet! They really are designed for swimming/diving/splashing around. I even made my vintage one waterproof with some great help from members on the forum.

Get a pressure test if you have to but at least take it to the beach next time you go on holiday :)

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Nice bezel mod, I much prefer that look on Amphibias.

But you've got to get it wet! They really are designed for swimming/diving/splashing around. I even made my vintage one waterproof with some great help from members on the forum.

Get a pressure test if you have to but at least take it to the beach next time you go on holiday :)
    Well it went in the shower with me this morning.

To be fair it is likely to end up coming along next time I'm off to the seaside, usually take a Seiko or two but this'll do just as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Well it went in the shower with me this morning.

To be fair it is likely to end up coming along next time I'm off to the seaside, usually take a Seiko or two but this'll do just as well...

Good work, you have really given it a new lease of life.

I just thought i would share a picture of my amphibia as I have just fitted a new bezel (picked up on ebay) I liked the original bezel but found it a bit of a pain to read at a glance, it was also a bit blingy being polished. I am very happy with the new one which is a standard seiko Diver insert on a stainless steel bezel...

... I think it makes this the perfect every day, do anything, watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

... It is on a standard black nato with the retaining strap cut off in case anyone was wondering.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I mentioned here that I wasn't entirely happy with the legibility of my 120658 with green bezel and that I had a replacement black handset ready to fit.

I finally got round to making the swap, and although I'm much happier with the improved visibility of the hour and minute hands I'm not sure whether I should have left the red second hand in place.

Nice. Actually, from where is the strap?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk