closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roland Kemmner

Craftsman
    Still no response here on my PRS20-LE. Hard to start a claim through Royal Mail if someone has the goods but just ignores you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
    Still no response here on my PRS20-LE. Hard to start a claim through Royal Mail if someone has the goods but just ignores you.
    I'd give him a call if I were you.

Can I just clarify - should my PRS-29 ever need work - inside or outside warranty, would it go to RK? What's the reason you would have to go to him for parts - I'm guessing case as opposed to movement?
    Last edited by Christian; 14th April 2015 at 17:08.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is all news to me, to be fair I have looked at Eddies watches and liked a few, but I have never got round to getting one.

so say If I bought a watch from Eddie, and it gets a fault within warranty period, or its needs a part/service outside warranty, can Eddie sort it out, or would he have to go through Roland Kemmner?

because if its taking this long to get watches back, surely it would be putting off potential buyers for Eddie if they do indeed need to go back to Roland?

I recently had a watch back to Kemmner for warranty work, via Eddie, turnaround time 3 weeks.
    F.T.F.A.

...is this called a tumbleweed moment....

I've had a few of Eddie's watches over the years - I liked them all but none have stuck for long, not sure why but I guess the ease of flipping them via the sales corner at very little loss has helped! - always fancied a quartz diver with date (if one ever appears) but this kind of thread is a little concerning if a beater ever gets broken and it takes a long time to return? - I know Eddie's customer service is legendary, but you're only as strong as your weakest link

I think if its warranty work, Eddie has your back so it wouldnt be a problem.

Seems the delays/problems arise when you go direct with a watch out of warranty.

Almost 5 months now my PRS10 and Everest have been with Herr Kemmner and despite a couple of polite emails requesting that he acknowledge receipt and subsequently requesting some kind of update not a dicky bird.

Both watches are outside of warranty and I´d no choice but that they return to Germany for repair since the parts can´t be purchased.

I´m hoping for some word next month since 6 months seems to be the typical turn around time.

Worth factoring this in before purchasing a TF watch.

Craftsman
    My PRS-82 will have been away 10 weeks tomorrow (under warranty so sent via Eddie).

Eddie said some pieces were sent back to him from Germany "a couple of weeks ago" when I last spoke with him (this was on July 14th), but they were never delivered to him in Sheffield, and were subsequently being returned to Germany

In the meantime my Glycine went in for repair on the very same day. I've had that back for just over 3 weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by danoafc View Post
    My PRS-82 will have been away 10 weeks tomorrow (under warranty so sent via Eddie).

Eddie said some pieces were sent back to him from Germany "a couple of weeks ago" when I last spoke with him (this was on July 14th), but they were never delivered to him in Sheffield, and were subsequently being returned to Germany

In the meantime my Glycine went in for repair on the very same day. I've had that back for just over 3 weeks now.
    You would have had your PRS-82 back 4 weeks now if ParcelForce hadn't sent them back to Germany via almost every country in the world instead of delivering them to me.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You would have had your PRS-82 back 4 weeks now if ParcelForce hadn't sent them back to Germany via almost every country in the world instead of delivering them to me.

Eddie
    I appreciate you haven't been able to control the process for obvious reasons Eddie. For clarification, I wasn't having having a pop at you at all, and your communication has been excellent throughout the process.

I was simply lamenting the fact that it's been ten weeks today since I last saw the watch.

Craftsman
    Still nothing on my PRS20-LE. I have tried calling the land-line and mobile (both rang out). I have messaged on ebay. And I have sent about 8 (very polite for the most part) emails, to which I have had not one response. I have also sent the Royal Mail tracking number with proof the watch was signed for by him on 25th November 2014. At a loss for what to do, other than steer clear of for any future dealings.
    Last edited by Jaunty; 12th August 2015 at 15:20.

In the same boat as you Jaunty with regards to my PRS10 and Smiths Everest, approaching 6 months now.. For the record I even had a German friend translate my emails/ ebay message requesting information/updates and not a word in reply:-(.
    Though to be fair I´haven´t tried phoning, given your experiences there would be no point.
    Very poor customer comms/service.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th August 2015 at 16:56.

Shame, have thought about buying one of the Kemmner models on several occassions

Craftsman
    He quoted for the repair so it is not like I sent it on spec. I wonder how many other watches he is sat on.

As mentioned previously, I have experienced both ends of the customer service scale from Herr Kemmner.
    What is clear is that he needs to employ someone to handle direct customer sales, maintenance and returns, so he can focus on the trade customers.

It certainly represents a weak link in the TF chain/ customer experience. I bought my watches to wear day to day, not to have them spend interminable periods elsewhere possibly being repaired with no communication.
    Even Meranom the guy selling 30 - 50 quid Vostocks is better at customer comms/ service/ repairs than this.

Craftsman
    My PRS20-LE crown threaded again and I was advised to send back to Kemmner as I wanted it changed to a non-threaded one. 8 months later still no watch or even an email.....so yes, I'd agree it is a weak link in the user experience

8 months later still no watch or even an email.....so yes, I'd agree it is a weak link in the user experience
    'Weak' isn't the word I'd use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    'Weak' isn't the word I'd use.
    Don't want to libel anyone so was being moderate, but the term 'theft' seems to fit the situation. He signed for it November 2014.

Oh my!
    This is horrible. If you can't get a watch serviced, I don't see how I can buy another one.
    That's a real shame.
    Perhaps Eddie can find someone else who can work on these watches, fit non custom parts, etc.
    6 months+! That's ridiculous. I might tolerate that for a rare hand made piece, but not at this price range.

For the record I had found someone willing and able to fix my watches but Herr K wouldn´t supply the parts, so back to Germany they went.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    For the record I had found someone willing and able to fix my watches but Herr K wouldn´t supply the parts, so back to Germany they went.
    Eddie understandably recommended Kemmner as he has all the parts for the PRS20 to change the crown. In hindsight I could have just left the threaded crown unscrewed, at least I'd still have the watch!

Craftsman
    Eddie understandably recommended Kemmner as he has all the parts for the PRS20 to change the crown. In hindsight I could have just left the threaded crown unscrewed, at least I'd still have the watch!
    I have had an email! - Mr Kemmner will take a look for my watch. It is a start at least

Wow that´s reassuring.

I have had an email! - Mr Kemmner will take a look for my watch. It is a start at least
    So after eight months he still hadn't started?

Master
    One wonders if he has a dedicated service dept. or whether this is all being squeezed in (or not) amongst production of new watches.

Craftsman
    So after eight months he still hadn't started?
    He hasn't actually said he has the watch yet, but after 10 months of nothing I was quite pleased just to get an email :)

What a farce.

I hope you get your repaired watch back soon Jaunty.

It certainly represents a weak link in the TF chain/ customer experience.
    It would be wrong if Eddie was to suffer because of this, as repair should be faster than this and the work and parts not limited to one individual, however good they are. I'm pretty sure we can assume that Eddie is on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    It would be wrong if Eddie was to suffer because of this, as repair should be faster than this and the work and parts not limited to one individual, however good they are. I'm pretty sure we can assume that Eddie is on this.
    He must have been aware of problems for some time (this thread started six months ago, and it's not the first about Kemmner). I would guess that if there were an alternative repairer for TF watches, we'd know about it by now. That suggests there isn't.

He must have been aware of problems for some time (this thread started six months ago, and it's not the first about Kemmner). I would guess that if there were an alternative repairer for TF watches, we'd know about it by now. That suggests there isn't.
    I've got three TF watches currently (along with a Kemmner) and this doesn't give me a warm feeling.

I send 3 or 4 watches back for repair most months and they are usually returned in 4 - 6 weeks, which I think is reasonable (I have approximately 2500 watches still under guarantee at any one time). I know that availability of parts can cause a delay but I don't think Roland has said he can't repair any watch which has been sent to him. The problem appears to be more one of poor communication than anything else.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Communication certainly and with respect timescale...I´ve been waiting almost 6 months- no word at all, Jaunty 8 months plus, the OP Mart Broad 5 months...It seems that as time passes the wait grows longer and in all likelihood this will grow worse as more watches beyond warranty will inevitably need repair....

and in all likelihood this will grow worse as more watches beyond warranty will inevitably need repair....
    Has this actually happened? The PRS-1 (2001) and PRS-2 (2003) can still be repaired.

Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Has this actually happened? The PRS-1 (2001) and PRS-2 (2003) can still be repaired.

Eddie
    That's good to know Eddie.

Maybe he should offer for sale cosmetic parts for out of warranty watches if he's prioritising warrenty work ( eg Eddies returns ) ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Essentially what was requested for my watches but was denied...the watches had to be returned to Herr K..and the waiting game begins--(yawn
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd August 2015 at 20:19.

Blog Entries
    I think that something that maybe started as a hobby or pastime has now become a business and anyone who runs a business will tell you that you enter a totally different world and I personally do not think that Roland has made the step up,pity as I think that he is a decent guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Maybe he should offer for sale cosmetic parts for out of warranty watches if he's prioritising warrenty work ( eg Eddies returns ) ?

I agree. If he can't handle the volume of work coming his way then he should employ someone to manage the distribution of parts to owners who are prepared to pay to have work done by their local watchmakers.
    F.T.F.A.

I may be incorrect here, but seem to recall from a post of several years ago that an older Precista was sent by its owner to Fricker in Germany for out of warranty repair.

CWC watches from Silvermans seem to be well regarded here. What is their policy on out of warranty repairs and spares - does anyone know?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    CWC watches from Silvermans seem to be well regarded here. What is their policy on out of warranty repairs and spares - does anyone know?
    Afik they don't want to know once the warranties expired, pretty poor when you've spent your hard earned.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Afik they don't want to know once the warranties expired, pretty poor when you've spent your hard earned.
    Ah, but that would depend upon the CWC Buyer's expectations. Perhaps Silvermans customer-relations strategy has employed 'expectations management' to influence how their watches are judged to satisfy...other than just being good watches of course.

We blow hundreds and thousands changing our smartphones, laptops, cars and kitchens. Why should a watch costing much less be immune? How long should a watch last anyway?
    Last edited by forpetesake; 23rd August 2015 at 21:50.

Craftsman
    Nothing since that 1 email of 19/08/15 and I have chased. So still no acknowledgment he even has the watch he signed for on 25th November 2014

Oh jeez, I am sorry to hear that Jaunty.

I´m at the 6 month mark in a couple of days, oh well, they´re just watches at the end of the day.

Craftsman
    I managed to speak to Mr Kemmner 3 weeks ago. He wasn't very definitive but said he had my watch and would sort things out asap. I have sent 3 emails since and heard nothing. Will keep bugging him.10 months now!

I was wondering how you were getting on Jaunty, sorry to hear no progress has been made as yet.
    Almost 7 months now I´ve been waiting, not a single reply to emails to personal/ebay addresses, still musn´t grumble

I was wondering how you were getting on Jaunty, sorry to hear no progress has been made as yet.
    Almost 7 months now I´ve been waiting, not a single reply to emails to personal/ebay addresses, still musn´t grumble
    Normally it only takes 4 weeks with no email to brand someone a villain.