closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub ND or ND Sub Sports series??

Sub ND or ND Sub Sports series??

I know it shouldn't grind my gears, and possibly a little OCD but for some silly reason it does.

Why do 'we' call the Sub(mariner), a ND Sub or Sub ND?
    It's just Sub(mariner), the cyclops version is the Sub(mariner) Date.

And where do 'we' get the Sports series/line from?
    Many years ago, longer than I care to remember, they were called the Professional Series, not Sports, and now they are just part of the Oyster Collection.

Oddly, deployant / deployment, doesn't bother me.

Grand Master
    You are indeed accurate by Rolex definition on the Submariner and Submariner Date but like many things in modern language it has been adapted to be phrased how the masses prefer rather than the originator, Im sure Chaucer would share the same frustrations as you innit!

The Sports tag one assumes comes from Rolex having the association with many top level sports plus diving (Submariner), Hiking (Explorer), Flying (GMT), and the Daytonas use for timing everything from racing cars to athletics has added to the mix. The professional line seems wrong as the majority of wearers are just enthusiastic amateurs. (Myself included)

I now use deployant properly but have had the odd slip with providence / provenance ;(
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    I know it shouldn't grind my gears, and possibly a little OCD but for some silly reason it does.

Why do 'we' call the Sub(mariner), a ND Sub or Sub ND?
    It's just Sub(mariner), the cyclops version is the Sub(mariner) Date.

And where do 'we' get the Sports series/line from?
    Many years ago, longer than I care to remember, they were called the Professional Series, not Sports, and now they are just part of the Oyster Collection.

Oddly, deployant / deployment, doesn't bother me.
    I'm with you on the ND thing, why do people do that. Its a SUB and the other one is a SUB date

Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    I'm with you on the ND thing, why do people do that. Its a SUB and the other one is a SUB date
    Even Mondani refers to them as 'Submariner Date' and 'Submariner No Date'. I think the 'why' is obvious. If you just say 'Submariner' you could mean either type. Saying 'no date' makes it explicit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Even Mondani refers to them as 'Submariner Date' and 'Submariner No Date'. I think the 'why' is obvious. If you just say 'Submariner' you could mean either type. Saying 'no date' makes it explicit.
    I disagree - when I say Submariner I mean Submariner, not Submariner Date. The ND is unnecessary.

Even more annoying is Explorer 1. WTF it is the Explorer.

Bad enough generally, but on a WATCH FORUM??

I think the Sub date is the more common:popular version. So, it is accepted as the one referred to when someone says Sub.
    Hence Sub ND.
    Would love to know the ratio of date vs ND sold.
    OTOH , when someone says deployment instead of deployand, it bothers me. Just like when someone says metal strap or leather bracelet.

Blog Entries
    On the Rolex website when describing the sub I found this - which suggests the submariner means no-date and is qualified by date if it has the date complication, I guess this fits with the history of this "oyster perpetual".

quote,'The Submariner and Submariner Date models are equipped with calibre 3130 and calibre 3135 respectively, self-winding mechanical movements entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex'
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th March 2015 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I disagree - when I say Submariner I mean Submariner, not Submariner Date. The ND is unnecessary.

Bad enough generally, but on a WATCH FORUM??
    Hadn't thought of that one, but agreed, more annoying is the Explorer McQueen, which never existed and is just a myth spawned from a mistake.
    Funnily you don't get Yachtmaster 1, it's just Yachtmaster

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    This is exactly what the Rolex salesman said to me last time I was in an AD and asked to look at an Explorer.

"Explorer 1, sir?"

So as with the Sub No Date, it may not be official Rolex nomenclature, but it is what people actually say in order to, you know, communicate meaning.

So as with the Sub No Date, it may not be official Rolex nomenclature, but it is what people actually say in order to, you know, communicate meaning.
    Incorrectly.

What wrong doing it right?
    A Sub is a Submariner
    A Sub-Date is a Submariner Date
    Surely it's not that hard is it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly what the Rolex salesman said to me last time I was in an AD and asked to look at an Explorer.

"Explorer 1, sir?"

Just because it is common, it is certainly NOT needed to, as you put it, "communicate meaning"

What annoys me is that these "helpful" terms are inefficient. Calling a Submariner a Sub is fine. "Sub ND" is longer and more clumsy than "Sub", and "Explorer 1" is longer and more clumsy than "Explorer"

Why do you want to use extra words to supposedly help communication?? Particularly the "Explorer 1" example.

Master
    Agree. Just to clarify with or without date complication.