closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Tiger Woods all washed up?

He should be given a break,

He should do an Anthony Kim and vanish and get sorted out...

Where are his team now ? his Manager. coach etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    He should be given a break,

He should do an Anthony Kim and vanish and get sorted out...

Where are his team now ? his Manager. coach etc...
    I think his manager is half the problem. Steinberg probably knows where all the skeletons are hidden. Woods should have got a new manager years ago but he knows too much.

I certainly don't condone the DUI but I kind of feel sorry for him. It's like he's got little purpose in his life without competitive golf and he's a lost soul. He needs a good strong mentor to put his life in order but when you're an alpha male who's used to calling the shots I don't see that happening.

Parallels with Mike Tyson after Cus D'Amato died spring to mind.

Thumbs up

Saw the mug shot last night and straight away thought it looked more than just a couple of beers after a card game.......mixing his PED's more like.

He says it was cocktail of pain killers..............oh dear!

Such a shame and a sad end to a legend, but could be his greatest gift to future generations will be, well look what happened to Tiger.

And this is a bloke who's supposed to be role model for kids, sadly he's become a cautionary tale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    And this is a bloke who's supposed to be role model for kids, sadly he's become a cautionary tale.
    Easy to sit on the sidelines and give advice , remember he has become such a world phenomenon that he cant go out his door without being chased , confronted and hassled etc . Its a known fact most human beings cant handle the mental pressure of what this sort of fame brings , actors , singers etc all the same .
    Unfortunately the media will add to his issues , instead of leaving him alone to get better in his own time.

Why poor Tiger?

He is just blowing some money, getting loaded and having a good time.

He was probably just driving back from doing a George Best in a hotel room with a bunch of hookers and drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Easy to sit on the sidelines and give advice , remember he has become such a world phenomenon that he cant go out his door without being chased , confronted and hassled etc . Its a known fact most human beings cant handle the mental pressure of what this sort of fame brings , actors , singers etc all the same .
    Unfortunately the media will add to his issues , instead of leaving him alone to get better in his own time.
    Who's giving advice.

Craftsman
    Who's giving advice.
    By your cautionary tale comment are you not advising his way is the wrong way ?

By your cautionary tale comment are you not advising his way is the wrong way ?
    No I was suggesting that his antics and decline could be used as a cautionary tale for rising young sportsmen to keep their feet on the ground, don't start believing your own hype because one day it'll be over, fames a double edged sword, oh and to stay away from the cocktail waitresses as the wife likely won't tolerate it.

Hmm maybe that could be seen as giving advice, tbh it's just common sense really.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th May 2017 at 14:51.

I feel sorry for him too. I just hope he gets back on track, not necessarily winning at golf but just having some form of purpose. He can clearly afford a taxi/driver/helicopter home so why he shoes to drive is beyond me. I do hope it's not a sense of invincibility.

Master
    It was all over for Tiger the day his missus chased him down the drive and smashed his car up after finding out about all the hookers and coke. Anyone that plays golf will tell you that most of it's in the mind and he's never got his head straight since.

He had a great run at it while it lasted so why not just retire and ride into the sunset (or the knocking shop with another load of Bolivian mad dust)?

He certainly didn't look very tiger like in the footage iirc.

Craftsman
    No I was suggesting that his antics and decline could be used as a cautionary tale for rising young sportsmen to keep their feet on the ground, don't start believing your own hype because one day it'll be over, fames a double edged sword, oh and to stay away from the cocktail waitresses as the wife likely won't tolerate it.

Hmm maybe that could be seen as giving advice, tbh it's just common sense really.
    So it's advice then p-))...

So it's advice then p-))...
    Aye fair enough.

FWIW I think Woods could've done with one of those Roman slaves, that the emperors were suggested to have used during triumphant processions to whisper in his ear "remember you are only a man."
    Even then the toxic mix of celebrity, adulation and money as you rightly point out Tom, has been the downfall of so many talents.

Shame we never learn.

Craftsman
    Aye fair enough.

FWIW I think Woods could've done with one of those Roman slaves, that the emperors were suggested to have used during triumphant processions to whisper in his ear "remember you are only a man."
    Even then the toxic mix of celebrity, adulation and money as you rightly point out Tom, has been the downfall of so many talents.

Shame we never learn.
    Its a great shame indeed . Other PGA players have fallen foul of their successes and they have been protected but Tiger was publicly drawn through the mangle .
    Did the Florida PD need to publish the Mug shots of him , seriously ? What good has it done ? Its like the jealous feeling more secure once somebody falls from grace . Forget about all the money he has invested and raised in the TW Foundation not to mention other Charities etc . They should give him some slack , the best player we have witnessed possibly of all time .

He`ll never be the Player he was but even at 50% he can still win titles but I think its 50/50 wether he will come back . He has nothing to prove other than overtake Jacks major record , I think this target is not attainable now .
    Last edited by Tomaitch; 30th May 2017 at 17:24.

Master
    Jeez he looked bad in the mugshot.

With that whole paparazzi thing... Part of me thinks the best thing these people could do is pitch up out the front of the house on a deck chair with a drink and just sit there letting them take all the pics they want. Surely they'd get bored pretty quickly if it was there on a plate!

I was watching a pap program and the bloke was desperate to photo Dawn French. Apparently she 'doesn't do pics' so this guy made it a mission to get a pic of her! Sort of a self created hysteria in a way, trying to make yourself aloof when you're 'famous'. There must be a fine balance to it.

Thumbs up

Its a great shame indeed . Other PGA players have fallen foul of their successes and they have been protected but Tiger was publicly drawn through the mangle .
    Did the Florida PD need to publish the Mug shots of him , seriously ? What good has it done ? Its like the jealous feeling more secure once somebody falls from grace . Forget about all the money he has invested and raised in the TW Foundation not to mention other Charities etc . They should give him some slack , the best player we have witnessed possibly of all time .

He`ll never be the Player he was but even at 50% he can still win titles but I think its 50/50 wether he will come back . He has nothing to prove other than overtake Jacks major record , I think this target is not attainable now .

Eldricks biggest problem is "Tiger Woods" and the world he has created around himself. His fall from grace - personally and professionally - are all his own fault so you cannot take the line that the media (or the Police) are to blame here. He has, all by himself, managed to a) sully his golf career and legacy = "tick" and b) show what a mockery his values/standards are = "tick" and then some it must be said.

He won't ever win another PGA (let alone a Major.....not a cat in hell's chance there) tournament ever again and suspect he will retire at some stage this year.

Jack Nicklaus remains the finest golfer of all time in my own opinion.

The news reported today that Tiger passed the breathalyzer test at the scene bearing credence to his claim that he had not been drinking. He says the result was owed to an unexpected reaction to a combination of prescription medications following his fourth back surgery. I tend to believe that alcohol was either not involved or that his consumption was minor.

Nevertheless, another unforced error by one of the two all-time greats.

Craftsman
    A lot of top sportsmen seem to be at a loss after their career is over .They find it difficult to get back to regular life and what to do with thenselves

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The news reported today that Tiger passed the breathalyzer test at the scene bearing credence to his claim that he had not been drinking. He says the result was owed to an unexpected reaction to a combination of prescription medications following his fourth back surgery. I tend to believe that alcohol was either not involved or that his consumption was minor.

Nevertheless, another unforced error by one of the two all-time greats.

Yeah, saw that, i don't think drink is involved, never heard of him being a drinker either, but he is more than likely overdoing the pain medication and not monitoring it properly, which has led to this sad state of affairs.

It's sad that a lot of sports people end up like this, you see it all over, greats who are crippled and/or addicted to pain medication because it's the only thing that got them through their sports for the last few years. You can see a few of this generation in golf going the same way, Jason Day isn't even 30 and he's got chronic back issues, McIlroy seems to be getting a lot of rib injuries and his back must be feeling some pressure with his speed as well i still don't know how Mickelson is still playing golf with his swing!

It really does look like the end for Tiger now. Surely one of the greatest sporting demises.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/41422577

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    It really does look like the end for Tiger now. Surely one of the greatest sporting demises.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/41422577
    Not really , once you get past 40 the body can no longer swing like it did 20 years ago , golfers never stay around for decades winning regularly . Tigers career was concentrated and it will be a shame if he retires .

Craftsman
    His whole life was golf, so no golf no life.
    If I was his friends/family I would have him on suicide watch as he is a prime candidate.

Wow anyone who caught Tiger playing at the weekend must have been stunned as I was. It was like watching a replay of 5 or 6 years ago! How nice it was to be proved wrong, as many have said he looked at peace with himself. So what has changed? No swing guru, he looked trim but not pumped, he had that focused look over his putting and probably drove the ball better than his has in a decade.
    So is the King back? Can he win another major? Well its a long shot for Augusta, but the bookies have him in the top ten I'd not bet against him. Are we going to witness the greatest comeback since Ali?

I am genuinely pleased to see him back. What's really impressive is that he still seems to have the hand speed. Golf need Tiger as the current crop of top stars are a bit lack lustre to be honest with the exception of Fleetwood.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I am genuinely pleased to see him back........ the current crop of top stars are a bit lack lustre to be honest with the exception of Fleetwood.
    As am I, it’s excellent to see him back on form and he seems much more engaged with the public and genuinely happy. Completely disagree with the second comment though, I find Fleetwood dull and boring and he hardly shows any emotion on the course. Hatton and Beef on the other hand are both great IMHO, both wear their heart on their sleeve and both on good form.

I think Woods’ comeback has been unreal. Putting things into perspective he’s had numerous back ops, comebacks that failed because he was still not right and the mental scar tissue of poor rounds, withdrawals and non play for the best part of three years.
    To be back and actually competing on Sunday has been nothing short of phenomenal.
    Echo the sentiment about Rory, great win yesterday. Watching him in full flow doesn’t get much better.

He's back with a win. Great timing for the Ryder Cup, it's going to be hard to be a good one.

Amazing considering he had parts of his spine fused together. I am (and so is every other golfer I know) really pleased for him. It would be great to see him win at least one more Major.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I wonder if sport has just witnessed the greatest come back since Mohamed Ali, mentally Tiger has achieved the nearly impossible. Physically he is rewriting science, the man has so much self belief, I shudder to think what he has taken into the American Ryder Cup team? He’s just getting better and better, hats off to Tiger Woods!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I thought we had seen the last of tiger in the winners circle. Safe to say I got that one wrong.

I wonder if he is favourite for the masters yet?

Talk about having to eat my hat..coat etc! Could not believe my eyes yesterday! Unbelievable!

Craftsman
    Not a big golf fan but genuinely pleased for him.
    What he has done is almost impossible and I think it is his greatest ever win.
    I would like to see him win another Major this year.
    He is so good for golf, at his peak he was probably the greatest ever player to pick up a club.

Talk about having to eat my hat..coat etc! Could not believe my eyes yesterday! Unbelievable!
    And the magic number of 18 and beyond is very much back on. He is such a competitor. Unbelievable when you think of it like that.

Master

I saw a compilation of famous people & broadcasters saying how he was washed up, let’s hope they remake that compilation in a different way.

I get the feeling this will be the relief he needs to feel super comfortable again, no amount of ‘small’ Tour wins would give him the boost this will. I can’t see him winning another 4 majors but I hope he can and think he deserves to if he can keep the required prep level up.

The game these days is full of so many fine young athletes, super strong, fit and healthy. It just makes it even more impressive a 43 year old has come back from how low he was (and being kicked by the world’s press over being washed up) to win the Masters!

I wish him well after his awful accident. I wonder if his back injury made him make a mistake? Some say he was very under the weather at the weekend?
    Lets hope he gets over this, I think golf is finally over for the great player he was. I just hope mentally he can now except that his career is done.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I wish him well after his awful accident. I wonder if his back injury made him make a mistake? Some say he was very under the weather at the weekend?
    Lets hope he gets over this, I think golf is finally over for the great player he was. I just hope mentally he can now except that his career is done.
    TBH my immediate thought was I wonder if he was under the influence of something. Obviously it could’ve been something mechanical or even maybe hitting some sort of wildlife which resulted in him losing control. Whatever it was I don’t think we will see him on a championship golf course again.

Master
    IMHO anyone who plays professional sport puts themselves in the firing line. Too much pressure for most folks to take. Once the adrenaline of the sport goes, the kicks are harder to find. Too many kicks and punches and you get punchdrunk. I feel sorry for them.

Hope he makes a good recovery...

Apparently the Highway Patrol have said its a ‘hot spot’ for crashes as its a high speed downhill bend which many underestimate how quickly it tightens then cant scrub off speed quickly enough...

So maybe early or unfair to speculate other causes / contributing factors..

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    TBH my immediate thought was I wonder if he was under the influence of something. Obviously it could’ve been something mechanical or even maybe hitting some sort of wildlife which resulted in him losing control. Whatever it was I don’t think we will see him on a championship golf course again.
    What I thought too.

Craftsman
    Not too surprised by the accident - he's not been able to drive straight for years!

I very much doubt after his DUI and public humiliation he would repeat the same mistake. He’s made some bad judgements off the course but, with the mentality of a sportsman, you expect he learns from each experience. I saw him in the booth with Jim Nance at the Genesis and he certainly looked bleary but the day before the accident he was out on the course for Golf Digest and looked bright as a button.

Personally I just hope he makes a full recovery to enjoy his life as best as possible. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Ben Hogan won majors after a near fatal car crash and one thing Tiger has shown is to never write him off. If he doesn’t compete again we should just enjoy being around to witness one of the most supreme talents for years. I’d put him above Jack, regardless of fewer majors, due to depth of field capable of winning during his era.

Master
    I wish him well. With the amount of abuse he put on his body early in his career I bet he was in constant pain.

It looked like he was in a huge Bentley SUV, it must have been some impact.

Grand Master
    Hope he recovers well, think it's time to take a back seat on the golf for him and just get better, he had just had a fourth back op, so guessing he's still not 100% up to speed and on meds, yet still smashing around practice, commitments and broadcasting.

Fabulous golfer, hoping he has a speedy recovery.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by birchgra View Post
    Not too surprised by the accident - he's not been able to drive straight for years!
    Too soon. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I very much doubt after his DUI and public humiliation he would repeat the same mistake.
    I don't have any idea whether he was under any 'influence' and am happy to give him (as I would anyone) the 'innocent until guilty' benefit but he wouldn't be the first to repeat a mistake.
    I wish him a return to good health first and a return to top-level golf after that if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I wish him well. With the amount of abuse he put on his body early in his career I bet he was in constant pain.

It looked like he was in a huge Bentley SUV, it must have been some impact.
    I think it is a Genesis GV80 SUV.

Genesis sponsor the golf tour he was heading towards at the time of the crash.