closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £400 to bribe women to stop smoking when pregnant

£400 to bribe women to stop smoking when pregnant

O m g whatever next?

Thoughts?

Disgusted

If it saves the NHS £800 each, is it bad?

That's the figure proposed and it's vouchers for baby stuff I believe, rather than cash, so probably tied in with some corporate sponsorship deal.

M.

Blog Entries
    hi, cool, £400 to spend on booze!

Trouble is, as I discovered myself, the only way to stop is to really want to. Then it's easy, but no amount of money in the world will help you if you're not ready.

Having said that, being pregnant is reason enough to stop!

Craftsman
    How in hells name are they going to police compliance to that?
    Madness!!

If £400 is the cost of encouraging pregnant women not to harm their unborn child, God help that baby when it's born. Pretty sad if people are that shallow/stupid imho.

How many would claim and use the cash to fund their habit anyway?

It is a stupid idea - if it saved £800, why would you offer half of that? £100 of vouchers for decent baby food, after they had provided proof that they were nicotine free might be a better move - but then testing they were clean of nicotine might cost more than the savings
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    If it reduces smoking it'll cost the NHS money. Smokers are more likely to die without lingering into old age with a long list of expensive chronic conditions. If you want to save the NHS money then the best thing to do it to die very suddenly the day you retire ;)

I concede that there could be other considerations for reducing the smoking rate.

I have to wonder though if there will be a huge increase in the smoking rate among pregnant women now. After all they are not actually measuring the smoking rate, they are really measuring the number people who tick the "yes" box at the "are you a smoker" question. Now women are being paid £400 to tick "yes" box they may find that it gets ticked slightly more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    How in hells name are they going to police compliance to that?
    Madness!!
    You can detect if people are still smoking with a breathalyser type machine, and the payments are staged over the course of the pregnancy and only paid out if the woman stays "clean".

^^^^^^^^^^

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...o-quit-smoking

As it says in the BBC article; pity so few respondents actually read it all through before rushing to criticise.
    Last edited by jwg663; 28th January 2015 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    You can detect if people are still smoking with a breathalyser type machine, and the payments are staged over the course of the pregnancy and only paid out if the woman stays "clean".
    They have a similar scheme in the area I live, a midwife was telling me recently when my daughter was born. They measure the carbon monoxide levels in the mother to be (not sure if it's via breath or blood) - apparently a lot of women simply don't have a cigarette for x hours prior to being tested. If the measurements are below a certain CO level they are quids in!

Even worse, when my wife was waiting for an appointment she overheard a pregnant 'lady' say that because she had passed the test then obviously smoking wasn't harmful and she could continue guilt free. Do not underestimate the stupidity and ignorance of a large proportion of the public!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the thought of harming your unborn child isn't enough to give up, I would imagine that these sort of incentives wouldn't work either.
    Conversely if somebody needs a bribe to kick the habit rather than common sense, should they be bringing a child into this world?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If the thought of harming your unborn child isn't enough to give up, I would imagine that these sort of incentives wouldn't work either.
    Nailed it I think Dave.

Sounds like another nonsense policy thats aimed at societies lowest common denominators!

The NHS is bombarded by nonsense schemes which make good sound bites for politicians including the latest reorganisation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was April Fools day. Nothing surprises me with this country anymore.

What surprised me most was that a very clearly pregnant woman outside a mall was casually having a smoke the other day.. with a couple of her kids playing nearby. I would have thought that by this day an age it has all been eradicated! I don't believe there is anyone who doesn't know about the effects on unborn babies!

It should be the other way around, if you are caught smoking you should pay a fine, a huge fine no less. Just like drunk drivers would pay.

Craftsman
    £10 per pack ! where do they get the money from ?