closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you have a dream collection?

Master

Do you have a dream collection?

Or do you just buy what you fancy when you can?

I don't want to be a flipper and I don't have the funds to buy lots right now so "planning" is all I can do! Problem with these sites is the plan changes quite often. Currently have a Chr. Ward C5, Victorinox Inox and a Speedy Pro. The "plan" looks something like this:

You got a plan?

Nah, no plan.
    As evidenced but the sudden desire to add Roy's UN Maxi Marine Diver to the collection - never even contemplated them until I saw the FS add.

You, however, have a very good plan!

I've been buying watches for about three years and even in that time the 'plan' has changed countless times. It's a journey, not a destination :)

I've always told myself I did, but I do a lot of buying and flipping and consolidating of less expensive pieces to get to the "dream collection" pieces. For me that's always been more fun than self denial and a small but growing savings balance.

For the heck of it, I decided last week to see if I could live with a six watch collection, since I have five watches now that I consider long term keepers. I selected one other watch from my collection to keep at home with the first five, and I took the other twenty or so watches to the bank and locked them in my safe deposit box.

I have to say, having only six watches to choose from is a drastic departure from my status quo (although I truly enjoy each of the six I've kept), but I'm adapting. I'll see how I feel at the end of a month's time. Either I'll have changed my wearing habits considerably, or I'll have decided these discussions of "dream collections" just don't work for me.

Years ago I used to buy watches that I thought belonged in any good collection. I guess I used to collect for the purpose of building a collection! Then all of that changed when I started focusing more on things that I'd actually wear and like to look at on my wrist. So I just buy what I like these days and don't have an ultimate plan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Everyone does but it changes daily (sometimes hourly)

Recently gotten

Also check

Not check

Love these but I am just not ready for a watch that "small" or would have gotten it already. But in a few years.

I think those 4 would have me satisfied for a long time. Nothing to far out of reach really there.

Craftsman
    My plan is currently underway. Had a huge downsize from about 17 watches and I'm currently sitting with 7. I want to turn the 7 into 5. 3 good watches and 2 work/beater watches.

Currently have;

The Tag & Steinhart are currently up for sale and I hope to replace them with an Omega Speedy. So the 3 watch line up will be the JLC, Tudor BB & a Speedy. However, part of me is wondering whether I would be better selling the Tudor as well and buying a Rolex Sub or GMT and having a 2 watch collection. I can't decide. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Years ago I used to buy watches that I thought belonged in any good collection. I guess I used to collect for the purpose of building a collection! Then all of that changed when I started focusing more on things that I'd actually wear and like to look at on my wrist. So I just buy what I like these days and don't have an ultimate plan.
    That resonates with me as well; Speedy Pro, Daytona, Navitimer - they were the watches I was 'supposed to have' in a collection.

No I have absolutely no theme at all other than looking to the future and trying to be content for now ;)

Master
    The plan is constantly evolving and change is good right. Sites like this do not help, you come for a short browse, end up spending all night on the forums and buying a watch you can ill afford.
    This place is dangerous, it's like being a kid in a big sweet shop but there's no one to stop you trying to buy all the sweets. Empathise with all that's been said previously, and what a great site

Not really, I just buy what I like.

I'd love to add a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and a Zenith El Primerio sometime, but I'm doubtful I ever will

M.

No plan for me, I just like what I like. It might be Seiko or Breguet.

Master
    Someone just put a picture of the IWC portuguese chrono classic on the CW forum and now I am wondering wether my solid 100% no change future plan should scrap the IWC and JLC above and involve this...

Master
    Stick to the original plan, or else it will always be what if.
    You can always sell them on later and then buy your new fancy then.

No plan really, I'm enjoying a minor case of being a flipper. The only watch I'm really lusting after right now that's just out of reach is a Sinn U1 but I'm not interested in saving for it, it's fun buying cheaper stuff, flogging them and buying something a but more expensive, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Stick to the plan, it will stop you going too crazy :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Plan is to have no more than three watches - a dress/office/work watch, a weekend/casual watch, and a gym/beach beater.
    Sticking to the plan so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Stick to the plan, it will stop you going too crazy :)
    haha i don't mind too much, fun to research each model. Basically I want/need a top dive watch (Pelagos favourite), an IWC (Portuguese in some guise or Pilots chrono) and a Rolex (GMT or explorer).

Out of interest what IWC would people pair with a Speedy, GMT and Pelagos?

Portuguese above or

or

Last edited by watchstudent; 28th January 2015 at 20:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I've mentioned previously, I have a very firm three watch collection in mind.

1) A custom built manual wind chronograph
    2) A Seiko Mod
    3) An F serial Comex 16600.

I will still keep some other watches that have sentimental value but that's the three I want to obtain.

Master
    It's a moving goal, my dream has changed so many times I can not keep up with it. This forum does that to you.

I am closing in on a collection that satisfies me at the moment but there's was not much of a plan to get here!!

Well, since everyone else is posting pics, here are the six watches I'm trying to live with for a month. If, at the end of that time I think I can survive (?) with only six, I'll work on replacing the HoroSwiss with a Chopard Mille Miglia (seventh picture, had one but flipped it a few years back). There are a few folks on here with collections more grand, but quite a few more I suppose with more humble collections who would be happy to own these six. So it's funny to see how I feel about just wearing these six and nothing else for a month. I'm already experimenting with a lot of strap changing for variety and trying to suppress pangs of regret concerning the watches I have locked away at the bank. Maybe it's all just growing pains.

The HoroSwiss above is subject to replacement by the Chopard below, pending the outcome of my masochistic exercise in self denial...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No plan at all for me. In fact I am the original " ball in a pinball machine " In the dentists this morning flicking through a watch mag I noticed Azimuth have an interesting watch they call the predator or something. Right now I think I should have one. But I may get bored with the idea before I find one at sensible money, or I may find one tomorrow and get bored and flip it three weeks later , thinking " how nuts was I to buy it" or it could be a keeper. Who knows what's coming next and that's the best part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post

Out of interest what IWC would people pair with a Speedy, GMT and Pelagos?
    Portuguese in a heartbeat. The Flieger is too similar to the Speedy in concept.

No plan. I have the core of the collection I want, I'd like a completely original Ploprof to add to my 1000M and Big Blue and I'd like a high beat Grand Seiko. I have the Heuers I want, a couple of MegaQuartz Omegas, a 321 Speedie, some very nice Seikos and so on.

I don't have a higher plan, I just see nice things and buy them if I can. I'm happy pottering along like that.

Or do you just buy what you fancy when you can?

I

This one.That should be your IWC of choice. I have it and its beautiful. Absolutely stunning. The IWC pilot is too similar to the speedy as Yeto mentioned .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    This one.That should be your IWC of choice. I have it and its beautiful. Absolutely stunning. The IWC pilot is too similar to the speedy as Yeto mentioned .
    Agreed

Master
    Already "living the dream" - for now. Many years in the making http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3363902

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Already "living the dream" - for now. Many years in the making http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3363902

Beautiful collection. That GP is the star. What model is that if you don't mind? Modern or vintage.

Master
    Beautiful collection. That GP is the star. What model is that if you don't mind? Modern or vintage.
    It's a modern one. This was after I bought it http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=arrival

Craftsman
    I had a list of grails I made when I first started collecting, longer things went on the more I realised that list was to please other collectors (red sub pn daytona etc) and didn't really mean anything to me.

Now my dream collection will be my retirement present to myself. 2 VCs, one stainless overseas, the other the 1921 drivers watch reissue.

Mike Wood owns my dream collection.

Craftsman
    I guess I have a dream collection, but only in the sense of what I'd do if I won the lottery. I have no plan to actually attempt to attain those watches because I wouldn't even have the funds to service them never mind buy them in the first place.
    Realistically speaking though, I've always liked moon phases and would love to own one eventually. Also, I've lusted after the Steinhart racetimer ever since it was released and that's definitely part of the long term plan even though it's 44mm and most people would baulk at the thought of paying close to £800 for a Steinhart. One of the Tudor heritage models has the same 70's vibe and colour and I suppose if I had a big windfall from somewhere I'd swap the Steinhart out for that as it's a more sensible 42mm.

Craftsman
    It's so hard to narrow down sometimes for me. All I do know is that I absolutely have to have an IWC Portuguese in my life at some point. I don't know what it is about the watch, but I've always fancied one.

Wouldn't mind a GO Sport Evo, and an old Casio too.