closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Historic" Blizzard about to hit us here stateside

Journeyman

"Historic" Blizzard about to hit us here stateside

The northeast US is about to get slammed by what forecasters are calling a "monumental historic weather event". The forecast is:

15-18 degree temperature
    24-36" of snow
    2-4" per hour
    30-45 mph winds
    55-75 mph gusts

Hunkering down here with proper food, brews, candles, flashlights and fire wood. All set but not looking forward to this.

Master
    Everybody loves snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Everybody loves snow!
    I like snow, but not when you have to dig yourself out of the house and then in to the car...

Quote Originally Posted by TorGunnar View Post
    The northeast US is about to get slammed by what forecasters are calling a "monumental historic weather event". The forecast is:

15-18 degree temperature
    24-36" of snow
    2-4" per hour
    30-45 mph winds
    55-75 mph gusts

Hunkering down here with proper food, brews, candles, flashlights and fire wood. All set but not looking forward to this.
    Useful to have a fire-place or wood-burner... it can almost be fun when you are prepared ;)

So, what watch for a historic blizzard?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Get prepped. It could be a long haul.
    Gray

Journeyman

15-18 degree temperature
    24-36" of snow
    2-4" per hour
    30-45 mph winds
    55-75 mph gusts

i'm not familiar with the units you are using but it sounds like a severe weather condition.

back in the days i was sailing on-board oil tankers, we used to deviate from our route to avoid the north Atlantic in winter.

prepare for the worst and hope for the best

hopefully forecaster's and warnings in US are better than the rubbish UK imo, we have had number yellow and red warnings in the north east and not much more than 1/2cm of snow in Newcastle/Northumberland area !

anyway pics required if it gets heavy as i do love a good snow storm until its starts to melt
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 26th January 2015 at 14:49.

Blog Entries
    Good luck!

Especially hope the power stays on and water doesn't freeze.

Mayor urges people to avoid city parks because of falling limbs.
    Gosh - that is cold if your legs fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    i'm not familiar with the units you are using but it sounds like a severe weather condition.

back in the days i was sailing on-board oil tankers, we used to deviate from our route to avoid the north Atlantic in winter.

prepare for the worst and hope for the best
    I was actually just looking at live data from NYC and thinking "22 degrees? I don't know what they are complaining about...". Took me a minute to realise 22*F which is about -5.5*C ;)

Master
    Can't believe everyone's missed the obvious.

A. Where's the nearest ski hill / resort?
    B. Know anyone with a ski-doo?

Have fun and stay safe!

Was once in Rochester NY when 36" of "lake affect" snow fell overnight. No biggy for those guys.

It does look like its going to be pretty bad , watching CNBC and it was snowing in time square. I heard they were saying up to 3 foot of snow in some places. Wait until England gets its 2 inches and the panic sets in

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Was once in Rochester NY when 36" of "lake affect" snow fell overnight. No biggy for those guys.

About 5 weeks ago, Buffalo had 6 feet of snow over a couple days. Yes, 6 FEET. Crazy those folk are I tell you!

I will snap off some shots and post if I can. I bought a generator today as well. Found one of the last ones!

Craftsman
    looking forward to some good photos, any update on the snow yet?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworks View Post
    looking forward to some good photos, any update on the snow yet?

Just starting to get going here at almost 2:00 EST. They are calling for the intensity to strengthen after 5:00 with the worst of it between midnight and 4:00 PM on Tuesday afternoon. Yikes, that's a 16 hour window!

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    It does look like its going to be pretty bad , watching CNBC and it was snowing in time square. I heard they were saying up to 3 foot of snow in some places. Wait until England gets its 2 inches and the panic sets in
    And the idiots start emptying the shelves at the supermarkets, and queuing at petrol pumps.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And the idiots start emptying the shelves at the supermarkets, and queuing at petrol pumps.

Exactly. We have a solid week to 10 days worth of food/drink and close to a cord of wood. The generator will power lights, television, refrigerator space heaters etc. All cars are gassed up and all are AWD.

Some people just don't prepare.

Really hoping we keep power throughout.

Exactly. We have a solid week to 10 days worth of food/drink and close to a cord of wood. The generator will power lights, television, refrigerator space heaters etc. All cars are gassed up and all are AWD.

You can probably do without the refrigerator ;)

You're stocking up because you may end up snowed in under 3+ feet of snow, here in the UK people stock up on food and petrol if there's the slightest chance of half an inch of the stuff....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You're stocking up because you may end up snowed in under 3+ feet of snow, here in the UK people stock up on food and petrol if there's the slightest chance of half an inch of the stuff....

LOL. I hope you are kidding. :)

LOL. I hope you are kidding. :)
    He's not, probably a qtr of an inch is closer

Apprentice
    Won't be a big deal...as long as you are prepared

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrema View Post
    Won't be a big deal...as long as you are prepared
    Hope you are safe and well over there Andrema.

Ive got a friend in NYC who is preparing for the snow and he just gets on with life. sometimes i think we have never had snow over here when you see the way folks drive and become squirrels - storing food and sleeping!!

That's nothing, it was -1 degrees C here this morning, with frost and I had to run the car for at least 3 mins to clear the screen...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hope you are safe and well over there Andrema.

Ive got a friend in NYC who is preparing for the snow and he just gets on with life. sometimes i think we have never had snow over here when you see the way folks drive and become squirrels - storing food and sleeping!!
    For the most part, many people where I live have garages, all-wheel drive vehicles, snowblowers and generators. So, it just slows things down a little...but folks do get nutty when a bigger snowfall or hurricane comes along

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That's nothing, it was -1 degrees C here this morning, with frost and I had to run the car for at least 3 mins to clear the screen...

OMG... the horror! Perhaps you should have just turned back in and called it a day!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrema View Post
    For the most part, many people where I live have garages, all-wheel drive vehicles, snowblowers and generators. So, it just slows things down a little...but folks do get nutty when a bigger snowfall or hurricane comes along
    +1

Here's my checklist:

1. Food... Check
    2. Water... Check
    3. Drinks... Check
    4. Propane for the stove... Check
    5. Wood for the fireplace... Check
    6. Generator...Check
    7. Gasoline for generator... Check
    8. Power cords for generator... Check
    9. Cell phone chargers... Check
    10. Lagunitas Brown Shugga IPA... CHECK!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sunny Andalucia

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I live about 45 kilometers north of Malaga, of the Mediterranean. Since end of November just about EVERY MORNING below zero.
    Tonight is will be at max -5.

We don't run the car to clear the screen but use a good old muscle operated scraper.

It is the coldest average since 1956 and counting: another week of clear sunny skies = max. cool at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    It is the coldest average since 1956 and counting: another week of clear sunny skies = max. cool at night.
    So much for "global warming".

Chilly place that Andalucia ;)

we got about 1cm of snow a few weeks back, whole place came to a standstill - local shop shelves were empty from panic buyers and i was forced to re wax my boots before going out.
    ...by mid afternoon it had gone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I live about 45 kilometers north of Malaga, of the Mediterranean. Since end of November just about EVERY MORNING below zero.
    Tonight is will be at max -5.

We don't run the car to clear the screen but use a good old muscle operated scraper.

Antequera?

We have a place near Loja. We bought it because it's supposed to be warm in Andalucia but it's ruddy cold in the damp mountains in the winter I can tell you.
    Brrrrr

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Chilly place that Andalucia ;)
    Well, actually yes.
    It is a cold country with a hot sun.
    Land climate, no warm ocean current.
    The coldest we have had was -15.
    Again; that is only 45 kilometers from the Mediterranean.

Ex pat pensioner Brits are complaining LOUDLY about not receiving winter fuel allowance whereas the winters they experience are colder than in many parts of the UK.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Antequera?

We have a place near Loja. We bought it because it's supposed to be warm in Andalucia but it's ruddy cold in the damp mountains in the winter I can tell you.
    Brrrrr
    Between Antequera and Loja. Just south of Archidona.
    We have the dehumidifier on which takes about 5 l. per day and keeps it quite nice.
    This year though it is cold for very long so everything cools down too much. In the shade we have buckets filled with frozen solid ice.
    We have a large wood burner on full blast 24/7 which has so far not been necessary and it still is marginal. Comfie but we are glad that the sun is climbing higher in the sky.
    I have more than had it with the frozen windscreen in the morning too.

Went to Loja last Friday btw. for an wonderful concert in the Posito.
    There's is lot to do in the Posito and when it is to our taste we always enjoy going very much.

Journeyman
    Well, the temperature will bottom out around 14 Faranheit tonight here in CT. It will be 20 or so tomorrow and the storm will be subsiding around dinner time. Then the digging out will begin. Wednesday night the low is 0 Faranheit. Welcome to winter in New England.

I want Hawaii.

Master
    Well, the temperature will bottom out around 14 Faranheit tonight here in CT. It will be 20 or so tomorrow and the storm will be subsiding around dinner time. Then the digging out will begin. Wednesday night the low is 0 Faranheit. Welcome to winter in New England.

I want Hawaii.
    Did you just move here Torgunner? This storm is business as usual just don't know why the media are hyping it. 20-36 inches is nothing I made it to the package store so I am all set and get a day off to boot.

Apprentice
    Are both of you from Connecticut? That's where I'm based...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Did you just move here Torgunner? This storm is business as usual just don't know why the media are hyping it. 20-36 inches is nothing I made it to the package store so I am all set and get a day off to boot.

Lived here my entire life. 20-36" is not common or "nothing". It is a major storm.

Journeyman
    I am in the Mystic area. So it's 9:00 AM and we have 18" of the white stuff with another 6-10" expected today. Winds were consistent 30 mph overnight with gusts around 55 mph. Current temperature is 18 degrees F. We did not lose power... thankfully!

The snow looks beautiful. I will see if I can snap a few pics.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    So, what watch for a historic blizzard?
    Or what to watch while you're snowed in, depending whom that might be with ....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140619/

Looks like the NY Daily News has already compiled a list:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2092371

Master
    Lived here my entire life. 20-36" is not common or "nothing". It is a major storm.
    Pretty common for us to get a 20-30" storm here in MA. 12-16" is the norm though.

Hueriticilla, apologies - I was being facetious :-).

Craftsman

Cool

We wound up with 16", my sister out on eastern Long Island wound up with 27", My cousins in Massachusetts Boston and Cape Cod areas are dealing with 20+ inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apprentice
    We ended up with 18 inches

Master
    BBC is reporting just a few inches in NYC, bit of a non-event really. Toughen up you guys.

Master
    just finished the driveway still snowing a little took 3.5 hours with my oldest helping. My younger son was out shoveling fire hydrants as he got called into the fire department last night. Snowblower broke half way through the driveway had to jury rig it to finish my brother in-law just fixed it too ... hmmmnn. Anyways drifts are varied becuase of the wind overall depth is about 32" but the drifts range from 38 - 48". I have a picture of one in my driveway I will post later too dark to take any pictures now.

Journeyman
    27" here in the southeast coast of Connecticut and still snowing. Should be done by midnight or so. Thankfully the wind gusts never got above 45 mph and only sustained around 30 mph so we never lost power. The temperature is dropping tonight and is supposed to be 0 Faranheit on Wednesday night.

Gotta love New England winters.

About two feet here on LI. Took way to long to clear even with the snowblower.