closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My grandad's seiko!

Apprentice

My grandad's seiko!

My grandad passed away almost 20 years ago, and my mom understood I loved watches, so I ended up with this. I don't know much about it, and never wear it (apart from when I got married). I had the glass replaced before our wedding as it was rather scratched. If anyone could tell me anything about it I would be grateful. Thanks Don.

I don't know anything about it, never having seen that style before, but it's a cool looking thing. Reasonable to infer it's an early Seiko 5.
    Gray

Looks like March 1979 from the model and serial number.

M

Blog Entries
    That's an unusual (and very pleasant in my opinion) design. Very late-1970s.

It must be a nice way to remember your grandfather. I often wear my father's watches and as soon as I've got a decent strap for it I'll be wearing my grandfather's gold Smiths.

Apprentice
    Thanks guys for the comments. It is a nice watch, and fortunately it fits perfectly, as I don't have the box or additional links. I just remember he always wore it, hence it being a bit beat up. The grandchildren of some members on here will he happy one day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    My grandad passed away almost 20 years ago, and my mom understood I loved watches, so I ended up with this. I don't know much about it, and never wear it (apart from when I got married). I had the glass replaced before our wedding as it was rather scratched. If anyone could tell me anything about it I would be grateful. Thanks Don.
    Contact cserv@seiko-watch.co.jp with your first photo – they'll be able to advise on when it was in production, and if parts remain should you need it serviced/repaired.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Contact cserv@seiko-watch.co.jp with your first photo – they'll be able to advise on when it was in production, and if parts remain should you need it serviced/repaired.
    Thanks for that, will do so. I think it could do with a good service, probably never had one!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    And third? The movement/model and serial numbers will tell them a lot. There's one (very tatty) with on eBay at the moment and Google turns up a couple of other examples with that face, some with differing case backs.

Apprentice
    Thanks again PJ S.

Master
    It's great to have something with such sentimental value isn't it. I inherited my Grand dads watch (nothing flash) his mouth organ and his shoe horn and his little flat cap, which unbelievably after almost 30 years still smells of him. And now more recently with my dear Dad passing, I have his wedding ring given to me by my Mum, which I wear every day to remind me of him. Treasure your lovely watch.

Apprentice
    It is nice to have something sentimental, I am glad I have the watch, but it is the only thing I have.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the link, that's great.

A great sentimental piece and a really nice design. Enjoy it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    Thank you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    Couldnt have put it better myself..

Rich Askham is the man to go to for Seiko servicing. Expert and reasonably priced. Definitely worth doing if the watch is of sentimental value and a keeper - as this one clearly is!

Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists View Post
    Rich Askham is the man to go to for Seiko servicing. Expert and reasonably priced. Definitely worth doing if the watch is of sentimental value and a keeper - as this one clearly is!

Enjoy it.
    Hmm...he does appear to have worked on one or two: link...6 pages!