closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, just been to Aldi for the first time

Blog Entries

Wow, just been to Aldi for the first time

Went to the Kilburn branch to buy one of the ultrasonic cleaners. First time I've been to an Aldi. There were lots and lots of Europeans in there for some reason, especially Italians. Didn't know there were all that many Italians in this area. Is Aldi big in Italy?

Anyway, what amazed me was the queue. It went across the front of the shop then up one aisle and down the next. Never seen a queue quite that long. It moved fast though -- the checkout staff were working at high speed.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 25th January 2015 at 19:44.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Went to the Kilburn branch to buy one of the ultrasonic cleaners. First time I've been to an Aldi. There were lots and lots of Europeans in there for some reason, especially Italians. Didn't know here were all that many Italians in this area. Is Aldi big in Italy?

Anyway, what amazed me was the queue. It went across the front of the shop then up one aisle and down the next. Never seen a queue quite that long. It moved fast though -- the checkout staff were working at high speed.
    Ultrasonic cleaners are always popular with Europeans.

Master
    I hope you used your Waitrose bag so that you are not seen as common...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I hope you used your Waitrose bag so that you are not seen as common...
    I used my trusty Iceland bag...

I dread to think where that puts me in the supermarket pecking order. ;-)

Cool story bro,

Dont stop there though.

What about the journey home?...any italians?

Banned
    We drove past an Aldi yesterday. I thought they were filming a zombie apocalypse movie but it turned out just to be the customers coming and going...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    We drove past an Aldi yesterday. I thought they were filming a zombie apocalypse movie but it turned out just to be the customers coming and going...
    I shopped there once and never again, the bloke behind me in the queue with his wife was constantly effing and jeffing at her it was embarrassing and they were one of the posher couples in there!

Blog Entries
    I don't know what most my daily products cost.

But as long as there is no need, I won't go to Aldi/Lidl.

They are places you really don't want to be, everything is in boxes on the ground, and they just haven't got most of my products.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    And lo, this evening I was one of them. I think the stare is caused by a combination of trying to look distantly innocent while hoping not to be stopped by the security guard's random checks and wondering when the bus will arrive.

My brother in law messaged me about the ultrasonic cleaner earlier in the week. Have you had a chance to use it yet? Might have to pop and pick one up if they're any good.

Thanks

Went to the Kilburn branch to buy one of the ultrasonic cleaners. First time I've been to an Aldi. There were lots and lots of Europeans in there for some reason, especially Italians. Didn't know here were all that many Italians in this area. Is Aldi big in Italy?

the checkout staff were working at high speed.

I think they must practice.... I was in a que of 1, just me and the checkout girl was scanning like a thing possessed , surely the process is only as fast as the combined operation, scanning and packing?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bucking the trend, love Aldi. No pretension, good prices, eclectic choice of specials.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
    My brother in law messaged me about the ultrasonic cleaner earlier in the week. Have you had a chance to use it yet?
    Not used it yet. I bought it because of recommendations here on TZ-UK. Most recent thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...unday-Jan-25th

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Bucking the trend, love Aldi. No pretension, good prices, eclectic choice of specials.
    And high quality food. Slowly but surely all our house shopping is done there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think they must practice.... I was in a que of 1, just me and the checkout girl was scanning like a thing possessed , surely the process is only as fast as the combined operation, scanning and packing?
    If the place is always as busy as it was when I was in there earlier on then they definitely get lots of practice!
    Last edited by markrlondon; 25th January 2015 at 19:59.

Ours is like being in total recall

We now do 90% of our food buying at Aldi. Quality is excellent and prices are cheap. I will however say that it depends which branch you go to as to whether it's an experience you'd want to repeat / do regularly. Our local Aldi has a good quality clientele however I went to one in a 'rough' town recently and it was a totally different experience.

Aldi....love it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

Their performance measure is the speed with which they process sales at the checkout. Each till has a monitor if you look.

Grand Master
    You ever been to Asda? The shoppers are so uncoordinated and clumsy its like playing Total Wipeout
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I don't know what most my daily products cost.

But as long as there is no need, I won't go to Aldi/Lidl.

They are places you really don't want to be, everything is in boxes on the ground, and they just haven't got most of my products.

Daddel.
    That must be a Dutch thing, nothing in the UK stores are in boxes on the ground.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Ever get that intuititive feeling that you've been getting shafted, but can never quite put your finger on exactly how?

Well I never get that at Aldi or Lidl or Costco.

It's not scientific I know.

I believe they are timed, something like 1000 items an hour through the checkout.

We now buy all the consumables in Aldi and recently have started to buy some of our food. Some stuff is better than M&S and a deal cheaper too. Still do the bulk of the food shop in local independent stores and Waitrose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    We now buy all the consumables in Aldi and recently have started to buy some of our food. Some stuff is better than M&S and a deal cheaper too. Still do the bulk of the food shop in local independent stores and Waitrose.
    Your membership of the Bullingdon is herewith revoked.

Good. He's one of us now

I do occasionally shop at Aldi, but I can't stand their packing protocol, it's ridiculous!

I can see the advantages of having to pack "over there" because not even the most skilled packers can pack bags having items wizzed through the till at them at 250mph!!

All I go in there now for is a Chorizo sausage, and that goes straight in my man bag.
    Last edited by senraw; 26th January 2015 at 00:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

All I go in there now for is a Chorizo sausage, and that goes straight in my man bag.
    I've never heard it called that before.

As it was for "research purposes" maybe you could issue a warning?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    As it was for "research purposes" maybe you could issue a warning?
    Quite: furthermore, any penalty should go to his accompanying servant.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

^^^^
    I do occasionally shop at Aldi, but I can't stand their packing protocol, it's ridiculous!
    See above.

R

When I/we go shopping its to buy groceries, its not for the scenery, I/we don't give a hoot what name is above the door and our pride isn't dented by the name on the carrier bag either.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Cool story bro,

Dont stop there though.

What about the journey home?...any italians?
    I LOL'd, very witty.

The fresh fruit and veg has no sell by / use by dates on it, and doesn't seem to last as long as fresh produce from more expensive shops in my experience. A false economy IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Archduke View Post
    The fresh fruit and veg has no sell by / use by dates on it, and doesn't seem to last as long as fresh produce from more expensive shops in my experience. A false economy IMO.
    when you have three young kids (like I do) who tear through fruit, this is not an issue, but you are of course correct, the quality is fine, but it doesn't last long.

Master

I can see the advantages of having to pack "over there" because not even the most skilled packers can pack bags having items wizzed through the till at them at 250mph!!

I have shopped at aldi for around 10 years or more (yes, since well before it got posh!)

High quality fruit & veg (IMHO far better than the big supermarkets), cheap, high quality.

As for the packing - I have a large IKEA blue bag open in the trolley, and everything goes straight from the till scaner into the bag in the trolley - no "packing" required, and much quicker than when I go to Tesco. Then the blue IKEA bag just gets lifted straight out & into the boot!

I would never shop anywhere else for my main shop, but because they dont sell everything, I do still have to go to Tesco a couple of times a week for bits (hot chickens mainly!)

PS my local one is very nice and in a very good area, so none of the riff raff which you sometimes get in the "inner city" stores! Though this doesnt put me off going to them if I need to. You get sweary people everywhere these days! (re: comment above)

PPS I got the ultrasonic cleaner yesterday - havent tried it out yet though - I'm waiting for someone to start a thread on "can I put my mechanical watch in the cleaner" - it wont be me!!
    Last edited by ach5; 26th January 2015 at 09:09.

You're right of course, fresh fruit and veg deteriorates quite quickly if not stored properly, whereby if you cover it with preservatives then it lasts much longer.

Men going in grocery shops - whatever next?

Don't you lot have wives?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Pure comedy gold

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    And high quality food. Slowly but surely all our house shopping is done there.
    And all of mine.

Master

Yes, but they're my wifes now Dave...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Ever get that intuititive feeling that you've been getting shafted, but can never quite put your finger on exactly how?

Well I never get that at Aldi or Lidl or Costco.

It's not scientific I know.
    Agree.
    No Costco over here but then we have Mercadona and Eroski.
    In each of the four it still applies that the vfm/price level is not uniform. We have a combination of three close together so shop at all three in the same trip.
    Some 10 minutes after morning opening time on a normal week day it is very quiet usually.

For clarity chaps My housemaid has assured me that the Aldi cleaning products do just as good a job as the branded ones and that both she and the butler enjoy the Aldi pizza just as much as the M&S one that they sometimes had as a treat. The head gardener also assures me that we have no need to trouble Aldi for vegetables.
    Last edited by aldfort; 26th January 2015 at 11:38.

Banned
    For clarity chaps My housemaid has assured me that the Aldi cleaning products do just as good a job as the branded ones and that both she and the butler enjoy the Aldi pizza just as much as the M&S one that they sometimes had as a treat. The head gardener also assures me that we have no need to trouble Aldi for vegetables.
    You talk to the staff?

Good God man, there is no hope for you!

Blog Entries
    No, there isn't a single Aldi shop in Italy. Plenty of Lidl though, which in the last two years has acquired a higher quality range of products and it's no longer perceived as budget level.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yes, but they're my wifes now Dave...
    Brilliant

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=ach5;3401293

As for the packing - I have a large IKEA blue bag open in the trolley, and everything goes straight from the till scaner into the bag in the trolley - no "packing" required, and much quicker than when I go to Tesco. Then the blue IKEA bag just gets lifted straight out & into the boot![/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that you either live alone, or just you and the missus. I've got one of those bags and we'd never get a full shop in it. I can barely fit it all in the boot.
    Good idea though.

Master
    I've recently started to use Lidl a bit, as when working away they had a store 2 minutes down the road so it was handy, I then realised how much I was saving and it is a no brainer, I still need to go to a second supermarket but then if I can save money by using two then it's ok with me.

Have to agree with the speed of the till staff.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Pure comedy gold
    In what way?

My wife doesn't have a lot to do and enjoys her little trips to the shops.

Why should I interfere?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I've recently started to use Lidl a bit, as when working away they had a store 2 minutes down the road so it was handy, I then realised how much I was saving and it is a no brainer, I still need to go to a second supermarket but then if I can save money by using two then it's ok with me.

Have to agree with the speed of the till staff.
    Never had a problem with Lidl till staff. At ours they always say 'That's x pounds when you're ready please' and I never feel rushed.

Only occasionally visit Aldi and it does seem more frenetic there.

The use by dates are just coded will say 1003 the 10 is the week the 03 is by the end of Wednesday etc.

The check out staff are targeted for 1000 items an hour no matter how long the queue. I always just grab a bannana box and just pack into that and take it straight home. Prefer it that way rather than waiting 10 mins at tesco for them to serve 1 person.

They scan that fast to keep costs down as they have less people in store to keep costs down, so the 2nd and 3rd check out people will also have other jobs