closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One third off list price for a Seiko

One third off list price for a Seiko

Last week I sent a Seiko away to the UK service centre for a repair estimate on a watch that is no longer available for purchase new. Yesterday I received a timely reply quoting me the published standard overhaul and service price.

Further down the letter however is the following paragraph:

Should you decide not to accept this estimate we would like to give you the opportunity to own a new watch at a reduced price of one third off our normal retail price. We will include more information on this offer when we return your watch.
    Can anyone provide me with any insight into what the extra 'information' would be? Is the offer likely to only cover watches of a commensurate value or would it extend up as far as the UK Grand Seiko range, for instance? I'm guessing not and that it will be fairly restricted, but it would be useful to know in advance of deciding whether or not to go ahead with the work.

Can anyone provide me with any insight into what the extra 'information' would be? Is the offer likely to only cover watches of a commensurate value or would it extend up as far as the UK Grand Seiko range, for instance? I'm guessing not and that it will be fairly restricted, but it would be useful to know in advance of deciding whether or not to go ahead with the work.
    I reckon we could speculate 'til the cows come home on what the extra information could be so I'd suggest emailing them and asking them to be more clear if I were you.

Odd that you can't have the offer and the service.

You could always re-send it for service afterwards although could be a price hike!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I reckon we could speculate 'til the cows come home on what the extra information could be so I'd suggest emailing them and asking them to be more clear if I were you.
    The wording and composition seemed to suggest it was written using a standard template. I was just checking to see if anyone else had received, and perhaps taken up, a similar offer.

My speculation:

Seiko get a lot of watches sent in for estimates.

Many customers don't proceed with the repair due to (perceived) high cost of repair vs. cost/value of watch.

They offer a discount on a new watch for customer retention purposes.

The discount will (probably) only be available on a restricted range of watches at a restricted number of agents.

I agree with jwg663.

Seiko, are unable to repair older models, as it is uneconomical to make the parts. And if they can repair them the cost to the customer would out way the value of it.

So, naturally they do not wish to loose a customer/business and so offer them this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Seiko, are unable to repair older models, as it is uneconomical to make the parts.
    Indeed. Also in the letter they say:

Please note that we do not find it practical to check whether all the required parts are available prior to sending this estimate. Occasionally we find that we cannot complete the repair which will result in us returning your watch unrepaired. If this should be the case we will contact you again.

I had the ‘offer’ on a Gen 2 that they returned unserviced due to lack of parts, however the discount was from their own RRP which you can check out at http://www.seiko.co.uk

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

this doesn't only happen with Seiko. A colleague at work received a similar letter from tissot for an ani-digi watch where they offered the new model at reduced cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I had the ‘offer’ on a Gen 2 that they returned unserviced due to lack of parts, however the discount was from their own RRP which you can check out at http://www.seiko.co.uk
    I assume it excluded premium lines (e.g. GS, Ananta, Astron, etc.)?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 26th January 2015 at 21:03.

Thank you for your kind offer - it is a shame you cannot fix my $70 seiko 5, however I am happy to take a third off - Please dispatch a Credor Minute Repeater to the following address...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Thank you for your kind offer - it is a shame you cannot fix my $70 seiko 5, however I am happy to take a third off - Please dispatch a Credor Minute Repeater to the following address...
    And it was precisely this line of thought - well OK not that exact model, I'd want one with a proper dial - which had me wondering if anyone else had explored the option already.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I assume it excluded premium lines (e.g. GS, Ananta, Astron, etc.)?
    I think the wording was ‘off selected models’. Just had a quick look for the letter but didn’t find it.

On reflection, I think I’ve chucked it out: given that they couldn’t repair a 20 year-old watch due to lack of parts didn’t inspire me to buy something else from them. :-(

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 26th January 2015 at 22:30.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    So a run-of-the-mill quartz chrono that's been out of production for God knows how long, and the parts bin has been emptied, is putting you off buying something else from them?

I've an attachment to my imported titanium Sportura quartz chronograph, from 12 years ago – if Seiko told me the sticky B button can't be fixed because the seal used was a specific design/size, I'd hardly use that as justification to dump the SD and prevent me from buying something I liked now or released in the future.
    I'd consider the watch to owe me nothing, and having got my money's worth.

Moreover, and it surprises me that I have to even point this out – you (we all) know how many different designs and models Seiko puts out each year, especially of the standard stuff, do you have even the slightest idea about how much stockholding needs to be done for spares alone?

I think it's rather eyebrow-raising to read that you've thrown a bit of a huff because a 20 something year old mundane item can't be repaired.
    Have you looked to see what other models shared the same 7T movement (presumably), and thought about getting one for spares or swapping out with yours?
    Last edited by PJ S; 26th January 2015 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    So a run-of-the-mill quartz chrono that's been out of production for God knows how long, and the parts bin has been emptied, is putting you off buying something else from them?

I've an attachment to my imported titanium Sportura quartz chronograph, from 12 years ago – if Seiko told me the sticky B button can't be fixed because the seal used was a specific design/size, I'd hardly use that as justification to dump the SD and prevent me from buying something I liked now or released in the future.
    I'd consider the watch to owe me nothing, and having got my money's worth.

Moreover, and it surprises me that I have to even point this out – you (we all) know how many different designs and models Seiko puts out each year, especially of the standard stuff, do you have even the slightest idea about how much stockholding needs to be done for spares alone?

I think it's rather eyebrow-raising to read that you've thrown a bit of a huff because a 20 something year old mundane item can't be repaired.
    Have you looked to see what other models shared the same 7T movement (presumably), and thought about getting one for spares or swapping out with yours?
    Thanks for sharing your opinion. Here’s mine:

God and I both know (but it would appear you don’t) that the model was in production until about 2001. You don’t have to point anything out, I’ve no idea how many models Seiko put out or how much stockholding is needed, nor do I care. Feel free to raise your eyebrows but there’s no bit of a huff on my part. Not my watch, someone else’s: ex-RAF and sentimental over his issued timepiece. It has now been fixed by myself and the kind assistance of a forum member. The owner wanted his repaired and was disappointed to find that Seiko couldn’t do that. Given that 1/3rd off the RRP would still be more than the same Seiko watch could actually be bought for elsewhere is not really that much of an offer.

Not being able to replace parts on a model that was discontinued about 14 years ago does indeed make me disinclined to buy from them, if you don’t agree with that then that’s fine, but I suggest you treat my opinion with the same level of gravitas as I am giving to yours.

R

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not being able to replace parts on a model that was discontinued about 14 years ago does indeed make me disinclined to buy from them,
    Same here.
    I totally agree with that.

I also have a nuance in it.
    It is like buying a consumer model expresso machine or a 'pro' level one.
    For the former I am expecting no parts to be available after warranty even, for the latter I expect them to be for at least ... 10 years? Depending on the price perhaps 20.

It is imo that the use of 50 year old designs in watchmaking adds a perspective that the eternal availability of parts is normal whereas it is not.
    It is in fact normal that for modern, evolving tech parts are NOT available for anything long beyond the life expoectancy as the tech evolves. Discount on replacement is then quite courteous. GP and JLC to name two, do so without asking even with their vintage qco engined watches.
    The perception is nevertheless real and part of this industry hence Seiko's change in policy concerning the higher end model range.

So I quite agree with you Ralpy and am very 'satisfied' with my Vostok engines in this aspect but I also realize that it is because it is like Greek and Latin: They have not evolved. For the spoken modern English a dictionary will need be updated yearly. Also the language in scientific journals will change less than txting.

Therefor I make differentiated decisions for different products. Also within horology. Some I see as consumables, some as durables, whether they are from the Swatch or the Seiko concern.

Blog Entries
    I think the wording was ‘off selected models’. Just had a quick look for the letter but didn’t find it.
    Ah. Thanks.