closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Commercial trader sales

Commercial trader sales

What is the price mark up on sites such a watchfinder or the more reputable retailers of pre-owned watches? Came into some cash before Christmas unexpectedly and started looking for another watch. Spent a lot time searching on online to get an idea of where the market is. Not settled on one specific model, and looking for value for money, and an easy onward trade later to keep the collection small but ever changing. Suppose the question is, as I've just joined this forum I have no access to the sale corner yet to compare prices. Is it worth waiting two more months to see what is available from private sellers, or should I just accept the excess and go with what's available? Would prefer to buy privately with know history and documentation.
    Thanks

Spend the time looking at the watches you are interested in. Buying privately from a trusted seller will always be the better option.

Selling is a different matter. As I've sold to dealers for more than some people have struggled to sell privately - it all really depends how big the market is, and the used dealers have a lot bigger customer base to sell to.
    It's just a matter of time...

Dealer are not daft they spend every day scooping up desirable watches and selling them on. I've sold to dealers and done PX with dealers. The only question I ever ask is do I think it's a fair deal. I really don't care if the dealer is making a margin or what the margin might be. That said I tend to only deal with bricks and mortar dealers. It's also essential to know the market fairly well. For example there is one dealer I know who regularly has his pre-owned stock marked up at RRP. I don't mind as if I see something I like I can open a negotiation with him, either I get the piece for a reasonable price or I don't. His margin is not my concern.

Craftsman
    I would agree, dealer margins shouldn't bother you (unless you are a dealer). If it is the right watch at the right price then that is all that should matter. Should be safer buying for a reputable dealer and they will often help you if you have a problem even out of warranty.

I've chased up a few watches now with call or e-mails, and either the price is fixed or there's £100 off for cash/collect sales. Fuel would cost more that! Less than 5% negotiation is crazy, especially in January!

Ah, the myth of Sales Corner; that every watch your heart desires will be there at a giveaway price.

The reality is that is a very tiny marketplace with a dozen or two watches on sale at any time, the main thing is of course the trust involved with known members of the forum which is why there are access rules.

Look on eBay, Chrono24 or any of the unregulated forums to get an idea of private sale prices. But bear in mind you buy what you see without warranty when you go privately. It's a risk unless you know what you're doing.

I would suggest keeping an open mind on the watch you want, enjoy researching various models and actually getting out there trying them on and seeing what you like on your wrist.

I am sure that if you are patient you will come across a deal that is right for you and by keeping that open mind you are more likely to find that bargain, by knowing about the watch prices elsewhere/residuals etc beforehand puts you in a better position at the dealers if you are tempted to go for a purchase.

By the time you have researched every watch you like thoroughly and got involved in discussions on here i am sure you will have cruised into SC anyway

There are good deals on SC but it seems like many new members think that amazing watches are given away in there, sometimes deals online or at AD's are just as good

Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Less than 5% negotiation is crazy, especially in January!
    Obviously not.