closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: (now done) Assembling your own watch (show me what you have done)

(now done) Assembling your own watch (show me what you have done)

Last week I was given a pocket watch dial (I have blanked out the retailers name it is not a dial fault), and I thought to myself how difficult would it be to assemble a wristwatch around this dial with parts sourced of the web?

So having spent a quiet day at work browsing for parts I decided to pull the trigger and ordered what I think I will need (hopefully they all fit)
    The case arrived today from Germany and pleasantly surprised by the finish for the money.

All I'm waiting on now are the hands and movement both of which are coming from America should hopefully only be a couple of days (plus 2 weeks in customs no doubt)
    I will post pictures when it is all together for your comments,

But in the meantime feel free to post your photos if you have done anything similar I would love to see what can be done with off the shelf parts.
    Last edited by animalone; 14th February 2015 at 16:13. Reason: change of title

How do you know the movement will fit the case and like wise the dial fit the movement?
    There are so many dimensions to get right.

Why did you blank the name on the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    How do you know the movement will fit the case and like wise the dial fit the movement?
    There are so many dimensions to get right.
    I knew the dial was originally fitted to an old unitas 6498, it should be the same dimensions as the ETA 6498-1 so finding parts that fit is straight forward as it is a very common movement still in use with several brands.
    the case suppliers often list their cases by the movement they fit it was just a case of finding a case that would take the dial, I had to go big though the watch case is 47mm

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Why did you blank the name on the dial?
    The dial is signed with the name of a retailer that is still in business so I don't want to have any issues or misunderstandings with trademarks or forum rules about advertising. Just thought it was more appropriate to blank it until after it is done and I have spoken to the retailer in question.

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    I knew the dial was originally fitted to an old unitas 6498, it should be the same dimensions as the ETA 6498-1 so finding parts that fit is straight forward as it is a very common movement still in use with several brands.
    the case suppliers often list their cases by the movement they fit it was just a case of finding a case that would take the dial, I had to go big though the watch case is 47mm

The dial is signed with the name of a retailer that is still in business so I don't want to have any issues or misunderstandings with trademarks or forum rules about advertising. Just thought it was more appropriate to blank it until after it is done and I have spoken to the retailer in question.
    Ah, didn't realise the dial was from something so common, I assumed you were talking about a random old pocket watch movement,

Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    Ah, didn't realise the dial was from something so common, I assumed you were talking about a random old pocket watch movement,
    I'm very Sorry to say nothing so exciting.
    I just wanted to see what the result of assembling a watch from what is available online would be, the dial was the spark mainly because of the ease of finding parts that fit the ETA Unitas off the shelf.

I actually have another much older dial (1880-1900 I think, enamel with a porcelain subdial) that I first looked at doing last year but as your original comment pointed out it was close on impossible to find parts of the shelf that would fit. Aside from lacking the tools and experience to make a custom case, the dial is on the big side I think it was originally for a movement around 20 ligne (although I'm always on the look out for one that fits)

Self-assembling is very satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    Self-assembling is very satisfying.
    Thank you for the picture
    My thinking was that I would end up with a more unusual watch and that I can use it as a practice piece to develop my basic skills, Without feeling like I'm abusing someone else's hard work.

Master
    Made from an old russian pocket watch. Designed the dial and had it laser cut from steel, painted and lumed from behind, lumed the hands and installed everything. Had to really work on the movement spacer to get the right stem height which was a pain in the ass. Still havn't found a good Panerai style seconds hand that fits the movement.

Last edited by Bonesey; 25th January 2015 at 19:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That case looks great quality. Do you mind letting me know where in Germany it was sourced?

Thanks.

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Made from an old russian pocket watch. Designed the dial and had it laser cut from steel, painted and lumed from behind, lumed the hands and installed everything. Had to really work on the movement spacer to get the right stem height which was a pain in the ass. Still havn't found a good Panerai style seconds hand that fits the movement.

That is very impressive, how much as it all cost if I could ask?

Master
    Raw materials? Probably £200-£250. It was a while ago. All the tools and mistakes beforehand on other watches cost me a lot more! There's a bunch of vendors over on homageforum.com who do a lot of Panerai-a-like builds with sterile or custom dials. Big old pocket watch movements are easy to work with and on the whole they are cheap and parts can be salvaged if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    That case looks great quality. Do you mind letting me know where in Germany it was sourced?

Thanks.
    I ordered it from :
    http://shop.sk-watchparts.com/epages...A%206497/98%22

This is my one

Asian '2836' movement with additional GMT function
    Sub type case
    Red date ring

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    This is my one

Asian '2836' movement with additional GMT function
    Sub type case
    Red date ring
    Nice! I do like the red green hands and matching strap

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I assembled this one after seeing this thread

It's been through a few changes and I eventually swapped e bezel insert to red & re-lumed it for a 'vintage' look

But it it's back to black now...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 28th January 2015 at 08:52.

^^^^^^Nice timeless look to that, the last picture is my favourite of the bunch

Craftsman
    Here's mine. Hamilton 917 movement. Case, dial and hands from Roland Kemmner.

^^^I like that nice and simple, it really is a good match for the Hamilton movement

Thomas Reid
    Omega case.

Longines 12.68N movement.

Dial and hands.

Watch.

Best wishes,
    Bob

^^^ Nice to see the longines movement being saved. I really like those 40's style dial markings

just a quick update,

Nothing much happening as the parts have not arrived yet, hoping they arrive next week as I'm away after that for a watchmaking course
    I am a little disappointed with how long it is taking (package left San Francisco and 9 days later has made it as far as New York)
    My last experience of ordering from abroad only took two days from Tokyo.

Parts arrived yesterday so I put them together today and the pictures show the results.
    The movement dial and hands all went on smoothly.
    I had to find an old crown from the bits box because the one that came with the case had the wrong tap size for the movement stem, but I think it works well.

I'm away next week but I will try and answer any questions when I return.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Looks good. I am impressed.