closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC GST

IWC GST

I saw some photos from the now discontinued GST line of IWC.

Does any members own(or have owned) a GST? I understand there was a 40 mm series and a 43 mm series, that looks nice, but quite thick?

Photos and opinions would be great :-)

Master
    Lucky to have two in my collection.

A 353601 which I think is the definitative GST model, tends to be my every day watch, I find the ti light and comfortable on the wrist, however no micro adjustment but does have the iwc easy sizing bracelet. I've only seen another one in the wild on a few occasions.

Also have a 353703 which is the silver dialed GST with the alarm complication, SS does make the GST wear differently more top heavy but so much that uncomfortable, the silver dial and gold hands work well which seem to have a warm feel to them and can look almost white in some lights.

Apologies for the poor photos

Ooh nice. Thanks!

I've also had a 3536 in titanium... with hindsight, it was a mistake to sell it.

My reading led me to the GST moniker standing for 'Gold, Steel, Titanium', can anyone confirm if that's correct out of interest?

Master
    I have (unless the cleaning / de-clutter fairy has got to it) A IWC catalog from when I brought my Aquatimer and I'm sure it states that GST does stand for the three case materials used in the range.

Master
    I have got 3 of them, the diver, the chrono and the alarm. All in titanium. The dials are matt black, the pattern on them is the reflection off the office ceiling :)

^^^ Love the alarm. It's a JLC movement, isn't it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Love the alarm. It's a JLC movement, isn't it?
    Yep

Master
    The GST range covered almost every area of the IWC product range. I have the 42mm 3536 in SS, and it's not overly thick by modern standards. Besides what has already been mentioned, there was a perpetual calendar version as well. It's probably the most affordable way to get into a major brand PC given current market prices.

I have the 3536 here pictured on rubber. It's a great nonsense watch and I can't see myself ever getting rid of it. Once in a while I browse for the white dial version but they seldom turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    I have got 3 of them, the diver, the chrono and the alarm. All in titanium. The dials are matt black, the pattern on them is the reflection off the office ceiling :)

That's as nice a "3 watch" collection as I have seen in a long while. If I ever had to reduce my collection down to just 3 watches, I think I could be happy with those.

I have the chrono (in steel, 3707-008) and it's a beautifully finished watch - even parts that you don't see when the watch is being worn (e.g. the inside of the deployant) are fantastic.

You might find this useful:

Master
    My Aquatimer 3536-03

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    That's as nice a "3 watch" collection as I have seen in a long while. If I ever had to reduce my collection down to just 3 watches, I think I could be happy with those.

I have the chrono (in steel, 3707-008) and it's a beautifully finished watch - even parts that you don't see when the watch is being worn (e.g. the inside of the deployant) are fantastic.

Many thanks. I used to have the Mecha Quartz chrono as well. but decided to get rid of it as firstly it was a bit on the small side and secondly it, the service cost on this is over £600 and that was about 8 years ago.

The service cost issue also caused me to sell my Deep One, that is one that I do regret as I would be happy to deal with the service cost on it.

Craftsman
    Very nice range of watches.
    If I'm not mistaken someone on the forum has the Perpetual Calender version which I lust after.

I had the perpetual and it was the most troublesome watch I ever owned, it was a real object of desire for me and I struggled with the reliability issues (I had it on my wrist for less than one month in over 20 months ownership) to the point where I sold it to a dealer as soon as it came back from Schaffhausen!
    It was also -mostly- unreadable for anyone without Superman's eyesight and yet the 'funny' thing is I'd buy another in a heartbeat
    Joe

Thank you all, for comments and photos. I am intrigued about the perpetual version, but worried about its size. Does anyone on the forum still own one?