closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My second watch???

Master

My second watch???

Hi Folks, new poster here.

So after nearly 20 years owning my trustee Omega Seamaster 120, (apologies for the poor photographs attached), I've suddenly got a hankering for adding to my one watch collection. I intend keeping my Seamaster as apart from keeping great time (losing approx 5 seconds a day) it has great sentimental value.

The old girl's been picking up a few scratches and minor dings to the bezel in the last 12 months even though I have a generally desk based job and I think its about time to get her serviced and the bezel polished, semi-retire her and get myself a more robust toolwatch for every day use.

Question is what?

For the record, I am a big fan of Omega and JLC, but I've been doing a lot of research on diver style watches recently.

I tried on a Rolex Sub at a local dealer just a week ago and though I've never been a Rolex fan, it was a lovely watch. It was much heavier than what I have been used to so not sure this is a contender.

My taste in watches must be changing as I've never been very keen on Diver style watches until recently, but like the look of the Damasko DA 46 and Sinn U1 as a daily wearer.

I also read a review of the Tudor Pelagos recently and I think this could be a candidate.

Obviously the Tudor is a step up in price, but looks a lot of watch for the money.

I would be grateful on your views and on the respective merits or otherwise of these watches and any advice that you can give.

Thanks

Journeyman
    http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/06/...mariner-14060/

I'd suggest one of the above. You'd have to go used because they dont make them any more.

And welcome from another relative newby.

These Seamasters are a great one-watch collection in themselves. Here's mine:

Why not go for a second-hand SMP, either mid- or full-size?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/06/...mariner-14060/

I'd suggest one of the above. You'd have to go used because they dont make them any more.

And welcome from another relative newby.
    Thanks very much Pearlwhite, that's very interesting. that's something to consider

Having done a little more reading on the 14060/14060M, I guess the only downside is the flimsy bracelet.

If I went down this route, would I be better looking for an M model with 3130 movement?

I guess it's just a matter of taste between the 2 line pre COSC and the later model. Is there much difference inaccuracy between the two?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    These Seamasters are a great one-watch collection in themselves. Here's mine:

Why not go for a second-hand SMP, either mid- or full-size?
    SMP? - is that the Seamaster Professional?

I'm always looking at SM's both past and present and at some point, I am going to get at least one more.

My only problem is that when I start to look at SM's, I'm like a kid in a sweetshop - a large range of designs, colour/strap/bracelet combinations and movements.

Also not sure on the merits of the Master Co-Ax and whether to wait to see if it gets rolled across more of their SM range.

Master
    Hi Klunk, if you are considering a Sub, I understand the newer Ceramic Subs have far better oyster bracelets. They have very good micro adjustment through the adjustable clasp which means you can get the perfect fit in an instant, any time of day rather than having it too loose or too tight depending on wrist size during the day. My wrist size seems to vary considerably. I'm not getting in to which Sub is best, I really like the older ones, but the newer bracelet definitely seems more user friendly to me.
    It would appear you have ventured on to the slippery slope and you have already tried the Sub, so it will be interesting to see if you find anything else that grabs your attention.
    For me, the Pelagos takes some beating as a good value, nice pedigree dive watch.
    JLC wise, they have some great watches. My favourite is the Memovox, Good luck.

If you're looking at a sub or pelagos, just get a sea dweller. You'll want one eventually anyway. Mainly because you have a sub or pelagos

Apprentice
    Get a SubCD - I have that and the Pelagos and the SubCD is more versatile

Master
    Thanks guys,

am definitely doing more research on Subs and may take some time to weigh up the relative pro's and cons of various models.

As mentioned in my first post, I was a little surprised of the weight of the new Sub (compared with my Seamaster) that I tried on, but I guess you would get used to that.

Re JLC's, I'm really into most of the Master series, in particular the Hometime and the Reserve de Marche, but that's for another time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Thanks very much Pearlwhite, that's very interesting. that's something to consider

Having done a little more reading on the 14060/14060M, I guess the only downside is the flimsy bracelet.

If I went down this route, would I be better looking for an M model with 3130 movement?

I guess it's just a matter of taste between the 2 line pre COSC and the later model. Is there much difference inaccuracy between the two?

Earleir non m have tritium dials, Which some like. The m has the updated movement. There is a lot of debate about cosc vs non cosc. I think it is essentailly the same movement in both. For me the 2 line harks back to the 5513 and vintage subs. So you get the vintage looks with the modern saphire glass etc.

Again personal preference but i dont like the cyclops and can live without a date. So the 14060m is perfect.

Personal preference . But Dont let the bracelt put you off. It might be lightweight. But its tried and tested and imho is very comfy. And in any case you will be buying a nato before you know it and it will be spending a proporion of the with without bracelet.

Master
    Subc is always a great first Rolex

Master
    So I've found what looks like a nice 14060m on a well known online pre-owned watch dealer.

From the photo's available it looks like there is some minor cosmetic damage to the bezel insert (awaiting confirmation from the dealer).

Could anybody provide me with a ballpark figure for replacement by an approved dealer please.

Thanks

Banned
    So I've found what looks like a nice 14060m on a well known online pre-owned watch dealer.

From the photo's available it looks like there is some minor cosmetic damage to the bezel insert (awaiting confirmation from the dealer).

Could anybody provide me with a ballpark figure for replacement by an approved dealer please.

Thanks
    I'm sure Rolex will fit a new bezel insert on a exchange basis for around £40

Master
    Re JLC's, I'm really into most of the Master series, in particular the Hometime and the Reserve de Marche, but that's for another time.
    I've recently acquired the Master Hometime and it is a thing of beauty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kier333 View Post
    I'm sure Rolex will fit a new bezel insert on a exchange basis for around £40
    Thanks.

My local dealer quoted about £50ish, but won't do it without a service at the same time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I've recently acquired the Master Hometime and it is a thing of beauty.

Fabulous. Is it your first JLC?

Craftsman
    An SMP300 makes a great daily wear. There are only a small number of high end watches that you can wear absolutely anywhere, IMO the SMP300 in Blue is a classic. The 14060 also falls into that category.
    Nice to have the choice, good luck.
    (When I say anywhere...!)

Master
    Are we allowed to talk about money on these posts?

If so, what's a reasonable (average) price to expect to pay for a nice 14060/M?
    I realise that there are lots of potential variables - (model, age, condition, service history etc.) so ball park figure if anyone has one please.

If we aren't supposed to talk money, then I apologise in advance to the moderators.

Are we allowed to talk about money on these posts?

If so, what's a reasonable (average) price to expect to pay for a nice 14060/M?
    I realise that there are lots of potential variables - (model, age, condition, service history etc.) so ball park figure if anyone has one please.

If we aren't supposed to talk money, then I apologise in advance to the moderators.

There are alot of variables but your talking £3.5-4.5k used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    There are alot of variables but your talking £3.5-4.5k used.
    Thanks,

I've found two online - both around the £4.25k figure.

Master
    Going slightly off topic, does anybody have any experience of purchasing a grey imported Rolex?

Apologies if this has been done to death before in recent topics.

It's just that I visited a local AD today and when discussing prices was told all sorts of scary stories about grey imports.

The AD didn't actually say that they wouldn't honour a warranty claim if I took a grey import into them, but that seemed to be the general implication of what he was saying.

Master
    If you can't run to Rolex prices, the Pelagos is a great watch, got mine from an AD whilst on holiday in Crete last summer for around £2400.

Journeyman
    Thanks,

I've found two online - both around the £4.25k figure.
    I suspect i know where you are looking....

I would say that based on my recent observations the used rolex market has moved upwards £500 in the last week at leadt for ss subs. The ss models i was looking at when i got my 14060m last week or so were readily available at dealers starting at 3650 with haggle room for another 2-300 off the asking price too.

Everything seems to be starting at 4250 now.

I did spot a 14060m on a nato at fellows auctioneers. Tempting valuation of 1800. Think it auctions thurs.

If you want a rolex get one. You wont be happy with anything else and will eventual trade it in. Cheaper to get what u want first time. Even if you have to save a month or two more?

As an aside. The dealer website you mention seems to have cornered the market in sea dwellers. In a world of supply and demand there may be a better deal on one of those at the moment. Nice watches. I still personally prefer the 2 line 14060m and no date simplicity. Less is more, for me anyway.
    Last edited by pearlwhite67; 27th January 2015 at 22:34.

Banned
    Watch finder currently have a sale on seadweller, they have one up for £3800, and a couple around £4000. They come with a watch finder warranty and even if you allowed for a service not a bad price.
    I would be looking at one of those instead of a 14060 as its surely a better investment.

There is also a 14060m on another forum from a guy with good feedback, box but no papers £2700, not a bad price. 2002 model

I have no connection to the seller in anyway
    Last edited by Kier333; 27th January 2015 at 22:29.

Hi Klunk,

Welcome to the forum! I bought a 2-line 14060M just the other week and please don't let the 'flimsy' bracelet put you off a 14060/14060M. I'm confident it will outlast you It's certainly lighter than most other dive watch bracelets as it has hollow centre links and end pieces but I don't think it matters in the slightest. Very comfortable and strong! OK the clasp rattles a bit but exactly the same as a Tudor Hydronaut.

I don't think there's any reason why a 3000 movement should be more inaccurate than the later 3130, I went for the 14060M purely in case Rolex stop officially servicing the 3000. I'm sure they still do but is there a chance after 30 years or whatever they no longer guarantee parts etc? I think they stopped manufacturing the 3000 around '99 but I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along to comment.................

Cheers!
    Mark
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 28th January 2015 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    I would say that based on my recent observations the used rolex market has moved upwards £500 in the last week at leadt for ss subs. The ss models i was looking at when i got my 14060m last week or so were readily available at dealers starting at 3650 with haggle room for another 2-300 off the asking price too.

Everything seems to be starting at 4250 now.
    I'd totally agree with you Pearlwhite! I started looking very seriously between Xmas and NY and was expecting to pay £3,650 with B&P. I bought mine weekend before last and straight away prices seemed to go up to £4,250. Do you think that you and I caused the price increase? I can only guess it's indirectly linked to the Swiss franc being 20% or whatever more expensive and therefore price of new models will go up hence all second hand models too will increase..........?

Cheers
    Mark

Journeyman
    "please don't let the 'flimsy' bracelet put you off a 14060/14060M. I'm confident it will outlast you It's certainly lighter than most other dive watch bracelets as it has hollow centre links and end pieces but I don't think it matters in the slightest. Very comfortable and strong!"

+1

...and a few sub 4k 14060m back in stock at watchfinder.

Master
    Watch finder currently have a sale on seadweller, they have one up for £3800, and a couple around £4000. They come with a watch finder warranty and even if you allowed for a service not a bad price.
    I would be looking at one of those instead of a 14060 as its surely a better investment.

There is also a 14060m on another forum from a guy with good feedback, box but no papers £2700, not a bad price. 2002 model

I have no connection to the seller in anyway
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    I've seen the newly available 14060's available.

Is there a particular Sea Dweller that is more desirable than others?

What is the main difference between a SD and Sub? I can see that the SD has a date. Is it made to withstand a higher pressure?
    Are there any other differences?

Master
    Fabulous. Is it your first JLC?
    Yes it is, and I am smitten. The dial is mesmerising and the depth of the movement is beautiful.

Amazingly for a watch this dressy (without being a dress watch) it's rated at 150m too so I'm not precious about getting wet wearing it.

Have you looked at the Tudor Heritage Ranger in the flesh by the way? Superbly built and very versatile on different straps. The bracelet absolutely oozes quality and tool-watchness, but slip it onto a black croc and suddenly it works with a DJ.

It is much, much nicer on the wrist than in photographs.

Banned
    I'm far from an expert but I think you tend to see less SD, where everyone seems to have a sub, it's subjective but the SD does not have the horrible cyclops. Plus the WR is higher and overall I personally think the SD is more of a tool watch.

Master
    Stop discriminating against subs, my sub doesn't have a cyclops or a date : )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Stop discriminating against subs, my sub doesn't have a cyclops or a date : )
    Lol - Apologies Submariner Date!!

Master
    So the story so far,

I've found two 14060M's - both similar(ish) money but one a four line and the other a two.

So now I've got to decide COSC or non COSC.

What a nightmare, Crikey, how much harder can it be buying a watch!

Now I'm even more confused as some are suggesting getting a Sea Dweller instead.

I think I'll go and get a lie down and sleep on it.

Banned
    So the story so far,

I've found two 14060M's - both similar(ish) money but one a four line and the other a two.

Now I'm even more confused as some are suggesting getting a Sea Dweller instead.

Well if it were my money I would go SD all day long, say that if you don't need a date the sub is a great contender.

Master
    Well if it were my money I would go SD all day long, say that if you don't need a date the sub is a great contender.
    A date isn't essential, but I'm not against them - just don't like the Sub Cyclops

I believe the SD has a date without the cyclops, so that wouldn't be a problem.

So the story so far,

Welcome to the wonderful world of watches Klunk! It's never easy Sleeping on it is actually a very good idea. Maybe one thought that may help (or not!) regarding Sub vs Dweller battle is which of the two models had you either heard of or saw pics of or seen first in the flesh and thought "I would really like that Sub/Dweller one day......" ?

Sweet dreams mate

Master
    When I bought my non date Sub I thought I would pine for a Sea dweller, which I also really liked.
    8 months on and I'm really pleased I went for a non date Sub, as it was always my original plan and I don't see many non date Subs around. As already suggested sweet dreams

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of watches Klunk! It's never easy Sleeping on it is actually a very good idea. Maybe one thought that may help (or not!) regarding Sub vs Dweller battle is which of the two models had you either heard of or saw pics of or seen first in the flesh and thought "I would really like that Sub/Dweller one day......" ?

Sweet dreams mate
    Now its really weird Cafe Racer, but I've been aware of Rolexes and Submariners in particular for a number of years.

A close aquaintance had a number of Subs over a period of years (usually flipping them every 3-4 years) and I was never a great fan of either diver style watches in general, Rolex as a brand or the Sub in particular.

It's only in recent months I've considered getting a diver style watch and even though I've considered many options and am a long time fan of Omega's, (I've considered Seamasters and OP's) and a JLC diver, I keep coming to the conclusion that if I'm going down the diver route, then it has to be a Rolex - for all of the reasons that make them so iconic and popular.

Journeyman
    http://rolexpassionreport.com/wp-con...8139962smy.jpg

Good idea to sleep on a big choice..

If 2 lines and no date is good enough for sean it's good enough for me....
    Last edited by pearlwhite67; 28th January 2015 at 23:10.

Master
    Well folks, after much hand wringing, I've finally bought a pre-used Sea Dweller from WatchFinder
    It was a tough call between that and a Sub, I hope I've made the right decision.

I will know tomorrow....................I'll keep you updated.

Craftsman
    Well done, fantastic watch and good deals from watch finder at the minute. Don't forget to post a pic ;)

Craftsman
    Massive congrats Klunk, enjoy every minute wearing it!

Master
    Thanks,

I'll post some photo's at the weekend

Journeyman
    Well done. You wouldnt have gone wrong with either of your shortlist. I had a great experience with watchfiner on both the buying and selling side so you are in good hands their too.

Many congrats on your Sea Dweller purchase Klunk! Really looking forward to seeing pics over the weekend

I bet you will sleep well tonight now the big decision has been made

Good on you!

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 29th January 2015 at 21:35. Reason: typo correction on well to will !

Craftsman
    Going slightly off topic, does anybody have any experience of purchasing a grey imported Rolex?

Apologies if this has been done to death before in recent topics.

It's just that I visited a local AD today and when discussing prices was told all sorts of scary stories about grey imports.

The AD didn't actually say that they wouldn't honour a warranty claim if I took a grey import into them, but that seemed to be the general implication of what he was saying.
    No such thing as a "Grey Market" Rolex watch

Master
    OK, so the watch arrived today from Watchfinder.

Unwrapped, unboxed, initially over the moon with it.

The supplier had adjusted it for my 7 inch wrist and it feels so much more comfortable, more compact and lighter than the SubC that I was trying on in an AD just a couple of days.

The case, bezel, clasp and bracelet are in fantastic condition - just like new - cant fault it. It's a peach, I wouldn't have known that it wasn't new.

However, on closer inspection, there are some minor blemishes to the crystal, difficult to tell if they are on the inside surface, but only visible from some angles. I have spoken to the supplier and they are willing to exchange for a similar watch (same age).

I initially agreed with them to send it back and exchange, but now having second thoughts and wondering if I'm being too anal.
    I'm beginning to think that I probably am.

Should I expect absolute perfection or some level of wear and tear when purchasing an 8 year old watch?

If I exchange, and get another one, is it inevitable that I will I could find something wrong with that one?

I'm sure that I can live with this minor imperfection and if it really bugs me, I can get the crystal changed when getting serviced in 5 years or so.

You have to look v/hard to see the blemishes, so I'm beginning to think that I should keep it.

What do you guys with experience of buying a pre-owned think?

As mentioned earlier I'm generally delighted, but would be interested to hear what a"normal" person would do in my situation.

Master
    Were you made aware of the blemishes on the crystal, it sounds like you weren't.
    In that case I would be saying you want to keep the watch but you want them to replace the crystal so you get it just right for you .
    If they made you aware then it's whether you a prepared to accept. Personally it would annoy me and I would always be looking for them knowing they were there. Good luck making the right decision for you.
    Alternatively, are you able to go and view the alternatives, so you can choose after close inspection.

Journeyman
    Hey klunk. My sub was from watchfinder too. 9 years. I was very happy. No real signs of use at all.

I guess that what i expected.

My thoughts would be that a rolex is a feel good purchase. A once in a lifetime for a lucky few.

You want to put it on and be happy. If the crystal bugs you get it swapped. Thats the pleasure of dealing with somewhere like watchfinder. Youve got a 14 day return policy if you need to use it.

Master
    Thanks for the advice guys.

No I was't aware of the blemishes.

I've discussed possibly getting the crystal swapped and they seem unwilling to do that - something to do with it having to go back to Rolex, which seems strange because when I enquired about a 10460M that they had in stock earlier in the week, they told me that it had been refurbished and fitted with a new bezel and crystal by their own service team.

As you say, it's got to be right, so it's going back.