closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Precision? info please

Rolex Precision? info please

My Stepdad dug this out when i started bringing watches home, and i was curious to find out about it?

Story behind it is he joined the army as a boy soldier in the 60's, brought up on his own by his mum, much like me, and worked his way up the ladder to a very successful career.

She died quite young though, while he was away on deployment.. and he hadn't seen her much since joining This is one of the few things he has to remember her by, I'm pretty sure she bought it for him in the early 70's pre owned and had his name engraved on the back, she would have scrimped and saved and went without to get it for him too, they were very poor.. The pictures aren't great, as he's not a watchy person in the same way we are.

I'm not looking for a valuation.. This will never be sold.

But info on the model, where it could be serviced sympathetically (I'm also pretty sure it has NEVER had a service, I'm thinking about it as a birthday gift) etc etc would be appreciated.

I've obscured his name on the back as He's spent all his life in the forces, police and others in hotspots, local and abroad.

Last edited by tekbow; 23rd January 2015 at 09:01.

Lovely thing.

It is a pretty common design, probably '60's.

If you remove the bracelet you will find the model reference @12 and the serial number @ 6 on the case.

Armed with that info you will be able to find out everything you want to know.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Lovely thing.

If you remove the bracelet you will find the model reference @12 and the serial number @ 6 on the case.

I shall take my spring bar tool over to ireland when i get home then. Anything specific i need to know about the springbars on these or are they pretty standard?

Cheers

Simon

Looks like a mid-late 60s Ref:6424. It will be manual wind, with a 1210 movement. Is the case size 36mm?

It could be the slightly later (mid 70s) 6694 with a 1225 movement.

Either way, very nice watch and well worth servicing. And priceless to your stepdad, of course.

I can't help on where to get it serviced, but I'm sure another menber will be along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Looks like a mid-late 60s Ref:6424. It will be manual wind, with a 1210 movement. Is the case size 36mm?

It could be the slightly later (mid 70s) 6694 with a 1225 movement.

Either way, very nice watch and well worth servicing. And priceless to your stepdad, of course.

I can't help on where to get it serviced, but I'm sure another menber will be along soon.
    yes it's a 36mm and manual wind, weird the difference between watch sizes then and now. thanks for the info also :) it is priceless to him, and he's a good guy, been good to my mum so he deserves to have this in good order

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    yes it's a 36mm and manual wind, weird the difference between watch sizes then and now. thanks for the info also :) it is priceless to him, and he's a good guy, been good to my mum so he deserves to have this in good order
    Are you sure it's 36mm? Those are generally 34mm and I'd have said 6424 or 6426.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd January 2015 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Are you sure it's 36mm? Those are generally 34mm and I'd have said 6424 or 6426.
    well i didn't have a ruler at the time ;)

but it's not 26 or 40, so i figured somewhere in the middle?

Master
    well i didn't have a ruler at the time ;)

but it's not 26 or 40, so i figured somewhere in the middle?
    Non-date 36mm models are a bit harder to find (e.g. 1018), precisions are usually 34mm. Nice watches with a sturdy movement. Eventually the spring tends to break free when you're winding it as it's not particularly solidly attached, but it's not a serious issue when it happens. I have a similar model (mine is a black dialled 6426) and took it to Rolex in St James Square for servicing. There may be cheaper routes but they will take good care of it.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd January 2015 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Non-date 36mm models are a bit harder to find (e.g. 1018), precisions are usually 34mm. Nice watches with a sturdy movement. Eventually the spring tends to break free when you're winding it as it's not particularly solidly attached, but it's not a serious issue when it happens. I have a similar model (mine is a black dialled 6426) and took it to Rolex in St James Square for servicing. There may be cheaper routes but they will take good care of it.
    Excellent, good info! much appreciated :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I haveva 36mm 6424. Mine has slightly different longer batons at 3,6 and 9 but looks the same apart from that.

The 36mm is pretty rare and the watch is well worth looking after.

[/IMG]http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/pete-r36/watches/3d13c649cdc39a9b6c2b175b43792212_zps27d4ea60.jpg[IMG]

Last edited by pete-r; 23rd January 2015 at 10:18.

Craftsman
    Cant make it out properly on the computer, look on the dial near the 6, it says T Swiss T, I can see two other marks beside the T`s. Do they look like little O`s ?

Thinking it could be Sigma dial ?, Gold indices.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Cant make it out properly on the computer, look on the dial near the 6, it says T Swiss T, I can see two other marks beside the T`s. Do they look like little O`s ?

Thinking it could be Sigma dial ?, Gold indices.
    I can ask about the indices, he'll have it handy and i'm discovering the epic convenience that is whatsapp.

So i need to ask if the T swiss T is surrounded by little "o's"?
    Last edited by tekbow; 23rd January 2015 at 10:30.

Craftsman
    Yes, the little O`s are actually greek alphabet "Sigma", quick search on Google images should show what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Yes, the little O`s are actually greek alphabet "Sigma", quick search on Google images should show what you are looking for.
    ah, yep, of course.. blonde moment on my part..

I think they're out walking, but i have the original pic on my laptop so i zoomed in. just look like little dashes, the sigmas from google images where pretty big, sized similarly to the t's
    Last edited by tekbow; 23rd January 2015 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Lovely thing.

I shall take my spring bar tool over to ireland when i get home then. Anything specific i need to know about the springbars on these or are they pretty standard?

Cheers

Simon
    You want the type with a pusher at one end.

Those old Rolexes have lug holes which makes them much easier to remove.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    34mm case.

6424 had a 36mm case which are pretty rare and even more so with a riveted 6636 expandable bracelet.

Lovely timepieces and miss my old one

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    34mm case.

6424 had a 36mm case which are pretty rare and even more so with a riveted 6636 expandable bracelet.

Lovely timepieces and miss my old one

Paul
    I really like your old one haha ;)

I have a 6426 Oyster Royal Precision which I believe hails from 1961. Rolex St James took it in for service in 2010 but we there was some suggestion that it might be too old. In my view the service was a bit of a bargain but I wouldn't be surprised if they quote something like double now. Here's a link to the story.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-with-pictures!

And here are some pictures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I really like your old one haha ;)
    Lovely to hear MATE........

Trust all is well Pete and Happy New Year

Paul