closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should you pay for someone elses modifications ??

Should you pay for someone elses modifications ??

Hi

Just wondering what people's views are - if example someone has a stock watch and they then send it off to be modified or even polished and cleaned up

Should you as the prospective buyer be expected to pay additional for the watch, even though it was a personal choice to send it off and get some work done

Just Wondering...

DT

What? If it makes it more desirable to you, yes, why not.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Surely one makes a personal judgement on worth?

A seller can ask what they want - who am I to dictate what you ask for your watch?

Would I pay £3k for a diamond blinged up Seiko 6105 - NO, would somebody else? Possibly.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    Hi

Just wondering what people's views are - if example someone has a stock watch and they then send it off to be modified or even polished and cleaned up

Should you as the prospective buyer be expected to pay additional for the watch, even though it was a personal choice to send it off and get some work done

Just Wondering...

DT
    Hmmm

Need a bit more info.....

I take the viewpoint that 3rd party modifications aren't worth more to me, regardless of whether it might be considered an "upgrade". Something like upgrading a hardlex crystal to sapphire won't make me pay extra, I'd rather have the watch original.

If it's exactly what you wanted to do anyway and it saves you the bother then why not? If you are just after the base watch then no....
    Cheers..
    Jase

I think that may be a bit too deep DT.
    (You've lost me anyway! I'd pay what I thought the watch was worth?!)

Blog Entries

<shrug> What's it worth to you?

If you like how it is it then pay what you feel it is worth (or don't buy it).

If you don't like how it is then pay less to take into consideration the cost of returning it to stock (or don't buy it).

Either way, only pay what you think something is worth to you and don't buy if you don't like.

The seller will almost certainly factor the modification costs into their price. If you don't want the mods, or are not prepared to pay for them, don't buy it. I don't see any reason to expect to get the modifications for free. Just look for an unmodified watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Just Wondering...

DT
    Ok, so you want the Bamford Paul Newman for Rolex list price?

"No like, no pay."

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Not sure I understand the question, but here's my take on it:

If a watch is several years old, with typical marks and scratches from normal wear, it will be worth a set figure if it is sold.

To service and refinish the watch will cost (say) £350; that'll return the watch to the best condition it can be for it's age. Does it increase the value by £350.........in most cases the answer is 'no'. Does it make the watch far more saleable.....the answer is 'yes'.

For the hypothetical example, I`d say that the sale price increases by approx. half the cost of getting it fully sorted out. A watch that may sell for £1000 with no refinishing/service may sell for £1200 if it's freshly serviced and refinished....but that may have cost £350-£400 to get done.

Paul

Master
    In my experience a modded Seiko (for example) will not fetch the cost of a used unmodified example plus the cost of the mods so they tend to be more of a money loser when flipping. That said, most mods that are considered desirable will add something to the cost of a watch - all you need is another buyer who would want the same mods....

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    A watch is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it,however it is presented.

Unless I was looking at having the same mods done myself, then no. If I was considering them then maybe - but, I'd like the parts to return it to standard, and I wouldn't be interested in paying close to the RRP of the cost of the mods.
    It's just a matter of time...

What you should pay is whatever you think represents value to you.

Should you pay a manufacturers asking price or just the material and labour costs?
    Gray

Master
    It's the same with anything - some modifications make things more desirable, and some don't.

If you like it and you feel the price is right, you buy it. If you don't, you don't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I take the viewpoint that 3rd party modifications aren't worth more to me, regardless of whether it might be considered an "upgrade". Something like upgrading a hardlex crystal to sapphire won't make me pay extra, I'd rather have the watch original.
    Actually that's probably the one upgrade I would pay for - I just don't like plastic crystals. If a Max Bill with a sapphire crystal mod were to show up on SC I'd be on it like a dog on a dropped sausage.

Isn't this much like the car or motorbike market? You or I may not care about the extra work that has gone in to it but that doesn't mean there aren't others that do. It just makes the market for the item smaller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    Isn't this much like the car or motorbike market? You or I may not care about the extra work that has gone in to it but that doesn't mean there aren't others that do. It just makes the market for the item smaller.
    You beat me to it and are indeed correct. Like with cars you rarely get your money back on mods. You will most definitely put some people off but may also make it more desirable to a smaller market.

Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    Always found this with bike mods. Have seen numerous customised machines, often having paint jobs and aftermarket parts fitted at near double the cost of the bike. They almost never sell for anywhere near the invested price. Some watch mods will fetch a respectable price, but like bikes, there are some expensive howlers that are certainly a very required taste!

Nope keeping it original is best

Some people are lumping modification and service together. Me I'd consider paying more for watch if recently serviced but probably not if it has been modified.

For a specific mod I want, like the Seiko FFF, then I would pay more as its easier to buy a ready-modded watch than organise it myself.

If someone has chosen to mod the strap or hands on a watch where I liked the original, I wouldn't be that interested in paying for their changes.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Me I'd consider paying more for watch if recently serviced but probably not if it has been modified.
    And here in lies a conundrum.

Is it more for a watch that's been serviced or less for a watch that hasn't.

And buying modified anything can have it's problems when you come to sell them on.