closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch box, pointless?

Master

Watch box, pointless?

Is it just me or are the big Watch boxes, ie the boxes that new watches come in, from wooden, to plastic, to leather kinda pointless? It occupies a great deal of space and after you buy the watch, the box is fairly useless...

Is it just me that feels this way and watch companies should perhaps change the box somehow? I dont know, sorry if this seems like a pointless thread lol

Blog Entries
    Yes, they are often annoyingly large and bulky.

But I can see why watch manufacturers do it: It adds to the special feel of the overall package. It adds to the feeling of having bought something worthwhile. It's like that AD experience that many people enjoy so much.

While people buy watches for reasons other than pure functionality, I guess manufacturers will be making elaborate and showy packaging. :-)

I was just thinking about this over the weekend while having a look around Harrods. Some of the boxes are humongous, beautifully made, and are too nice and valuable to throw away, but lack any practical purpose and take up a whole lot of room as they need to be stored properly to avoid damage. Some high end pens come in gigantic boxes too, but the whole package at least lends itself to being a presentation piece.

I really like the old school flat boxes some watches still come in. They can be really nice and impressive, but you don't need a whole wardrobe to store them in.

Yep, it's all part of the process of selling the brand to you. I like them, more than the watches they contain sometimes.

Whatever they must be preserved in good nick in case you sell the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I was just thinking about this over the weekend while having a look around Harrods. Some of the boxes are humongous, beautifully made, and are too nice and valuable to throw away, but lack any practical purpose and take up a whole lot of room as they need to be stored properly to avoid damage. Some high end pens come in gigantic boxes too, but the whole package at least lends itself to being a presentation piece.

I really like the old school flat boxes some watches still come in. They can be really nice and impressive, but you don't need a whole wardrobe to store them in.
    Yeah I wish they came in flat boxes, that were thin and slim, where the watch lies FLAT rather than having to always roll it up because I feel putting it on that "pillow" is pointless also.

I guess people do buy the "package" thing but I still think the huge boxes are such a waste.

The ellaborate boxes and accessories add to the experience of spending a small fortune on a watch

The first watch i bought (an oris) had a nice box and i think that although it will sit in a drawer somewhere it is a nice touch, others (Seikos etc) the boxes were pretty much throwaway items

Some of the boxes i have seen on here are amazing and these are luxury items afterall, a bit of theatre/OTT never hurt anyone :)

Journeyman
    Just had to post off my Longines Legend Diver (Date) as part of an exchange deal. The box for that was stupidly humongous and could easily house a family of 5 at a push! Cost £28 to send it RMSD :-/

Master
    Some very pretty boxes and wooden cases - but I agree that they are totally pointless items and a pain to store. And I'm pretty sure they don't come free!

If I was spending £6000 on a watch I might expect some effort should go into the case - but how much better it would be if the case then converted into a proper storage case with space for extra watches. Or even became a winder? Vostok Europe supply their watches in their version of a "Peli" case - which you can at least kit out with new foam and reuse. Anything else is likely to end up in my bin.

Must agree that some of them can cause a storage issue.

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/WHERRY/media/DSC_0011_zps41dfd5e2.jpg.html][/URL

Recently moved out of the house and to be honest left most of my boxes.Far too much wasted space.

Master
    Ok good to see that many others feel the same. The problem is I cant just throw it away either because take Panerai for example, when/if I want to sell it on, buyers are so a*al about having the "outer" cardboard, inner box and all that jazz. TBH I would also i guess but....

Take Blancpain, it also comes in a Peli I think for the diving range. Wish the whole package was just smaller for the watches. Or just come in a single winder like swissKubik or something that can then be stacked up or whatever.

would be nice if the box was an option perhaps?

Banned
    The box my Panerai 197 came in is the size of 4 Panerai boxes together.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    would be nice if the box was an option perhaps?
    I suspect most folk would have the box though as it would probably affect any potential re-sale, also isn't having useless items knocking about the reason for lofts

Journeyman
    my nomos orion came in a flat wooden box,it is much easier to just lie the watch down and the box doesnt take up much room

Up to the point of buying something special, I used to leave the jewellers shop without any packaging at all and the watch neatly carried on my, er, wrist.

Stupidly, I now have a watch worthy of the box and I am scouting around for another duplicate box because the original is looking a bit scrappy!

Got to admit, boxes are one thing that i find take up alot of uncessary space, and a few of them are pretty horrible (but really I have to keep them, should i ever want to make space in my collection).
    However I'll admit i'm partial to laquered wooden boxes :)

My JLC Incursion came in a Peli as well (seeme to be a running theme with tool-ish watches)
    Suits the "theme" of the watch, and its handy storage for the collection of spare/backup straps i have for it.

Part of the sale cost

Agree too big and hard to store -but a necessary evil, they should make them more compact

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152 View Post
    Just had to post off my Longines Legend Diver (Date) as part of an exchange deal. The box for that was stupidly humongous and could easily house a family of 5 at a push! Cost £28 to send it RMSD :-/
    Half of the weight of the LLD "package" is made up of the book in the base of the box.

Panerai boxes, you say? This is the PAM341 "Egiziano" box, picture by Blowers...

TBH, my box room is about the same size as that box

Personally, the box, packaging and presentation are all part of the enjoyment of owning a decent watch. I was only just talking to an AD recently about how some nice watches are really let down by shoddy packaging.

Although I agree a nice and well made box adds to the attraction of a luxury item, I see little reason why the box can't have the same quality and feel at a fraction of the size?

Luxury electronics have gone the right way in my view. The packaging now only just houses the item. But they don't feel any less special.

I would have much more respect for a luxury company who produces less packaging.

Master
    It makes the weekend's in-tray seem a bit like the closing scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, but who doesn't enjoy the excitement of wondering "what's in the box?"........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    For general public, packaging is part of v important experience.
    That is probably true. However, when buying a new watch you don't get to see all the packaging until after you have made the decision to buy.

Way I see it :- when you consider the mark-up the big boys are slapping us with on every watch, its the least they can do to stick the thing in a nice box...

Grand Master
    I think the big boxes are utterly OTT and pointless. The wooden ones really crack me up, they're like bloody coffins!

Paul

These useless worthless boxes seem to change hands for strong money. Even service cases are worth a few quid apparently.

Master
    Boxes are for when the watch is flipped.

Master
    I like the boxes as they add to the experience. Granted, once they are opened they are then stored somewhere safely out of the way as my watches live in a case. I really appreciate a good box though. Oo-er!

I was in a Rolex AD and the salesman was excited to show me the new Milgauss, which he'd just had delivered. He came out with 3 plastic cases each the size of a large flat matchbox and inside each one was a perfectly protected brand new watch. Frankly I'd be happy if they put that travel case in a slightly smarter travel pouch with the paperwork - excess packaging is just pointless isn't it, whether it's a cornflakes box or for jewellery?

Journeyman
    I have got to say that I like the boxing that watches come with, it is adding to the feel of a luxury product.

I do like Panerai boxes they make the watch feel Quality.

ismaaeel

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Although I agree a nice and well made box adds to the attraction of a luxury item, I see little reason why the box can't have the same quality and feel at a fraction of the size?

Luxury electronics have gone the right way in my view. The packaging now only just houses the item. But they don't feel any less special.

I would have much more respect for a luxury company who produces less packaging.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

Master
    Just tried on the new Omega X33 and the box that comes with it is massive.What a waste.

Master
    one area that i think Rolex have about right, just enough to add to the presentation without going all IWC on you; which i nearly had to apply for planning permission for when i reached 3 of their gargantuboxes!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    after you buy the watch, the box is fairly useless...
    Unless you choose to sell it down the line and the buyer wants it ?

Craftsman
    Keep the box in the attic, or repurpose it for something else!

Master
    Agree with the comments about the pelican cases. You can buy new foam inserts and use them for excellent and compact watch boxes / storage. I have 2 now.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with the comments about the pelican cases. You can buy new foam inserts and use them for excellent and compact watch boxes / storage. I have 2 now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    buying a new watch you don't get to see all the packaging until after you have made the decision to buy.
    Quite so.

The box isn't like the "AD experience", because the AD helps make the sale. Whereas the box is an aftersales item.

As others have said, I'd far rather have a smaller box that was genuinely useful (e.g. a portable carry-case). It could still have a luxury feel, in keeping with the brand experience.

It is all for the unwrapping moment. Apple does the same for the iPhone. It takes 6 seconds for the box to open if you lift the top part. They designed it like that specifically. 6 seconds to build up anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152 View Post
    ^This^

For a serial flipper the extra cost due to the weight of heavy boxes must be considerable over time.

In saying that though, I love it when I unwrap a parcel & am confronted with a snazzy watch box. First impressions & all that but from a practicality stand point they really do take up a lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    In saying that though, I love it when I unwrap a parcel & am confronted with a snazzy watch box. First impressions & all that but from a practicality stand point they really do take up a lot of space.
    And difficult to hide...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    And difficult to hide...
    Unfortunately too true. They're not exactly designed for stealth when you're trying to keep one secret from the missus!

In terms of portability, Rolex have it right for their 'class' of watch - it's a tool watch and the box is functional, nice quality, takes up little space and nothing else.

I think the largest box I have is probably JLC or IWC both of which are enormous and really are mostly dead space - they are large and luxurious for the sake of it but I suppose if you are a 'one watch' (or two) person you may keep them in their boxes and enjoy the experience of taking them out. It's not practical with a larger collection.

Sad that the only day I see mine are the day I buy and the day I sell. And generally when you package up something for the next owner in the lovely oversized box, it just increases the sense of loss!!

Master
    Mine are all in the loft, ensuring that box and papers are kept together. I have a Hillwood watch box where I keep the watches not in use.

Master
    The box on my recently acquired Milgauss was bigger than most of the recent Rolex boxes I have seen, have Rolex increased their box size recently?

Blog Entries
    I love boxes! Especially polished ones.

(I'll get my coat)

Master
    I do love a good watch box. Nice polished wooded ones are my favourite. Current star Muhle Glashutte 29er.
    Having said that, I will never buy a watch just because the box is nice! Rolex size boxes are the perfect size anything bigger is rather pointless.

Craftsman
    Most people (i.e. normal people) only have a few watches and therefore the box only adds to the experience of having purchased a high end item. It's only for us weirdos that have so many that suddenly the size of them all starts to become a problem.

Master
    The wooden 'super boxes' are veneered boxwood coated with polyurethane and made by the tens of thousands in China.

The rest of the packaging is plastic, paper and cardboard.

A small real leather box would be so much more appropriate for a good watch.