closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What to do with travel reward miles

Craftsman

What to do with travel reward miles

I have accumulated 99,000 flying blue miles over a long number if years, mainly from KLM but also Air France. I don't travel as much now, certainly not on these airlines, so they are due to expire at end Feb. I'm not going to be able to travel and use before then, so wondered what others have done when in this position. Anyone ever used any of these trade/swap sites? Most seem to be US based and don't give an indication of value.

I had over 200,000 with KLM and ended up getting wine and champagne with mine.

I have over 300,000 Avios with BA and find it hard to get a long haul reward flight with them.

Master
    I have just over 250,000 virgin atlantic flying club miles, and just about to book 2 Upper Class return flights to Cuba with them :)
    We wanted to go to Japan but Virgin are no longer flying there and there was no reward flight availability with their partner airline ANA

Using reward miles for actual flights you actually want to go on is a dark art.

I managed to hammer some freebies and offers to build up enough for two first class tickets to the US for our Honeymoon but by Christ was it hard work. Finding the flights, not the honeymoon :)

Doesn't the cunning flying forum have anything to offer - flyertalk is it? They should have some cunning plans for getting cash value or resaleable items with the miles.

Or in fact this and this. Cool as a concombre.

Master
    Last year i got 2 free flight to the Canaries with BA

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Using reward miles for actual flights you actually want to go on is a dark art.

I managed to hammer some freebies and offers to build up enough for two first class tickets to the US for our Honeymoon but by Christ was it hard work. Finding the flights, not the honeymoon :)

Doesn't the cunning flying forum have anything to offer - flyertalk is it? They should have some cunning plans for getting cash value or resaleable items with the miles.
    exactly that! - flyertalk is your answer

I had a lot of miles couple of years ago with BMI (thanks to BMI credit cards, sign up bonuses, promotions and UK flights) and when they were part of Star Alliance group I managed to organise holidays twice with flights in Business Class for me and my wife. Took a lot of searching and prep but when I phoned up to book them I knew exactly what I wanted and knew they will have availability. Flew to SE Asia - Singapore, Hongkong, Bangkok - had 4 segments as I booked one way trip each way with stop overs (stop in connecting town for couple of days) - all Business Class with Singapore Airlines on A380. Year earlier we were in US with Continental BusinessFirst and that was amazing as well. Now these good times are over as BMI is no more and their Diamond Club was second to none. We've had our accounts moved to BA so I now have again 150k avios points and with BA best way of using them is to upgrade from flexible economy ticket to business class but you're limited by availability unfortunately.

With KLM/AF you really need to read up on Flyertalk what is the best way of using miles but my one suggestion would be that you buy some extra miles (you should be able to buy minimum for £50 or so even) if you're worried they will expire but I think that its only status miles that expire, not "destination" miles.

I always use mine on flights, and have managed to secure my flights quite easily. My main one is Virgin but recently joined BA. For my virgin ones they were very good at helping me out over the phone one year even booking a Premium reward flight for me and the mrs going into one destination and out of the other (they didn't usually offer that).

Saying that, wouldn't know what to do if they were expiring but don't think I'll get to a point where they do as we always use them for Premium and never will for Upper just because I'd always want to travel that way in the future but never be able to justify it, whereas for Premium I can.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Or in fact this and this. Cool as a concombre.

That's so bizarre that of all the gifts available you posted the new wayfarers. That's what I looked at last week and even went to a local shop to try on. Unfortunately it's only the smaller 52mm lens size available rather than the standard 55s, otherwise that's what I might have chosen. But preference is to see what else I could do with these miles in terms of trade or exchange rather than spend in their shop. Cheers.

I have 500,000 BA and am saving for a flight to the moon

Previously I got a couple of tickets to Mauritius - nice.

Mauritius would be preferable (to me)......

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have 500,000 BA and am saving for a flight to the moon

Previously I got a couple of tickets to Mauritius - nice.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Took the family to NY few years ago with Avios (then Airmiles) when flights included taxes etc.

Still got 350,000 of the things but now taxes are on top the price ends up being not much less than a cheap flight would be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Took the family to NY few years ago with Avios (then Airmiles) when flights included taxes etc.

Still got 350,000 of the things but now taxes are on top the price ends up being not much less than a cheap flight would be anyway.
    I think you get the best value flying business/first, I wouldn't waste them on economy flights!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I think you get the best value flying business/first, I wouldn't waste them on economy flights!
    Yes thanks, think you're right.

Wouldn't normally have the means to fly business/first and would find rather it frivolous but as you say wouldn't be good value to use these on economy. (The miles were amassed mainly from Tesco club/credit card etc. rather than on flights)

I briefly looked at the idea of using on a partner airline, flying (the long haul leg) from a third country where taxes are a lot less. Can't remember the details and flights were very scarce anyway.

An amusing (well my wife thought so) tale from my only experience of first class:-

Our car broke down in Spain and we were 'repatriated' from Madrid by the breakdown insurance (flights scare hence 1st class). Anyway we boarded and I settled in my seat in the front row thinking 'hmm this is ok'. A young girl (maybe 6 year old) boarded, stopped in front, looked at me then threw up all over my trousers. Given some towels but the smell lingered and it rather spoilt the experience!