closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    If you have to use a ballpoint, then the Lamy cartridge is the second best available. But being left-handed doesn't mean that you can't use a fountain pen. (I am left handed and always have been.) You need to start with a fine nib and reasonably dry ink, and you may need to adjust the position of the paper and your wrist angle, but those are things that take only a few days to get used to. The experience is so superior that you'll never want to go back. Live a little.
    Thanks for the advice

This thread is very useful- I'd not heard of dry ink before. Need to expand my horizons... will have a look at inks and give it a whirl (any excuse to buy a sailor 1911, which I like the look of a lot!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Thanks for the advice

This thread is very useful- I'd not heard of dry ink before.
    The ink isn't really dry dry, it's just that some inks are less wet than others, in the sense of being slower flowing and faster drying. The Diamine inks being recommended here (I'm a fan too) tend to be on the wet end of the spectrum. The Pelikan 4001 range tends to be dryer, and trying them won't hit the wallet badly. Of course, some pens write wetter than others as well, so the overall effect depends on both pen and ink, with some combos being way too wet or dry to be fun.

You should also try the Sailor before you commit, the flex nib ones tend to write very wet.

Banned
    I bought a selection of the smaller bottles of Diamine ink, its a great way to see what you like.

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=67

midnight blue is still my favourite

also I was trying the yellow tonight, though it doesn't stand out very well on white paper, are there any darker papers it would work better on?

then I made a old style pen with some vintage nibs I have and some Bamboo I cut down when I was in Corsica.
    it needs some refinement but fun trying.

I also found some Lamy cartridges that don't fit any of my pens, I was going to offer them for free on here,but after last time, its once bitten twice shy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I bought a selection of the smaller bottles of Diamine ink, its a great way to see what you like.

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=67

midnight blue is still my favourite

also I was trying the yellow tonight, though it doesn't stand out very well on white paper, are there any darker papers it would work better on?

then I made a old style pen with some vintage nibs I have and some Bamboo I cut down when I was in Corsica.
    it needs some refinement but fun trying.

I also found some Lamy cartridges that don't fit any of my pens, I was going to offer them for free on here,but after last time, its once bitten twice shy.
    Midnight Blue is a favourite here too.

You can use the yellow on Moleskine paper for invisible writing :grin:

If you have a few Lamy cartridges you could use a syringe to drain them into one of those empty (washed) Diamine bottles. The ink is decent quality.

Banned
    I've been looking for ages for some grey or brown paper to use with the yellow,no luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    it wont last....lol you will sucome to temptation.
    Joined FPGeeks last night under the user name inkisdry!
    Crossed over to the dark side I have. Still managed to resist buying the 1911L!!

Blog Entries
    I've been looking for ages for some grey or brown paper to use with the yellow,no luck.
    Art supply shops are a better bet than stationery shops if you're going bricks and mortar. Otherwise either Cult Pens or The Writing Desk must have some, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Joined FPGeeks last night under the user name inkisdry!
    Crossed over to the dark side I have. Still managed to resist buying the 1911L!!
    OMG, FPGeeks is worse than here for enabling one to spend ridiculous amounts of money.

(Same username there as here BTW :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I have just gone mad and bought a Visconti Homosapiens Bronze Age & an OMAS Milord (since they are hard to come by) and they are wonderful - the Visconti in particular. I have a Sailor 1911 Black Luster which is also lovely but I do find the nib a bit stiff. I still love my Pilot Capless which I use for quick note taking.
    I so covert an Omas after being allow to try one at Write here - it was John the owners pen and had a special fine flexible nib. But they are so expensive!

If anyone is looking for a Lamy 2000 - TwissCo have a medium, double broad and oblique broad available on ebay. I can vouch for the seller - John Twiss he's a great guy and I have a couple of his custom made pens in my collection. http://www.handmadefountainpens.co.uk/

This is next on my list http://www.handmadefountainpens.co.u...5/DSCN0908.JPG

Blog Entries
    I so covert an Omas after being allow to try one at Write here - it was John the owners pen and had a special fine flexible nib. But they are so expensive!
    They aren't going to get any cheaper since there are never going to be any more made. Best to grab the one you like while you still can.

Master
    M90 now there's an absolute design classic.
    Wonderful isn't it? The reality is it's worth 5 times more than any other pen I own and I rarely use it Maybe I'll crack it out next week. Currently filled with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo.

Midnight Blue is a favourite here too.
    Syrah and Eau de Nil are my favourite Diamine. The latter being almost a perfect match for Sailor Yama-dori at a fraction of the price. Less lubricated though. The two of them also complement each other on a page.

Other Diamine I like include Graphite, Bilberry and Red Dragon.

They aren't going to get any cheaper since there are never going to be any more made. Best to grab the one you like while you still can.
    There's a rumour that the brand maybe bought. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime I tried this one at Andys Pens. I ended up buying a blue one but this one was still lovely.

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/index.ph...ch&search=OMAS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    There's a rumour that the brand maybe bought. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime I tried this one at Andys Pens. I ended up buying a blue one but this one was still lovely.

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/index.ph...ch&search=OMAS
    Andy is one of the real gentlemen of the pen world. I bought something nice from him a long while back.

We can hope that Omas reappears, but whether they will be the same, who knows.

Andy is one of the real gentlemen of the pen world. I bought something nice from him a long while back.

We can hope that Omas reappears, but whether they will be the same, who knows.
    Yes he is as is his partner (a gentlewomen though). I could have stayed all day but my wallet was starting to cry....they are moving to Wales soon so I won't get to drop in so easily to write a few 'The quick brown fox etcetera....'

Has anyone caught sbrebrown on YouTube - I find it quite addictive?

Master
    I do wish that Parker would bring out an iteration of their original Parker 51 fountain pen. A true design classic and a pleasure tu use.

I had one when I was at school and loved it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I do wish that Parker would bring out an iteration of their original Parker 51 fountain pen. A true design classic and a pleasure tu use.

I had one when I was at school and loved it.
    You can find old ones that have been restored with modern silicon sacs. They'll normally be frankenpens with nibs and caps taken from other pens, but they write really well.

Just don't get one if you like to change ink every day. Squeeze fillers are best tied to one ink and just cleaned once a month or so, or it becomes onerous.

Ask on FPGeeks, several people there do them (I wouldn't trust eBay with this).

It's interesting to see how my collection has changed since this thread started. I had a large selection of German, Japanese and American pens and now have 4 plastic bodied Kaweco Sports, which I use with J.Herbin cartridges. They're amazing little writers for under £20 and barring the Platinum 3776 are my favourite pens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    It's interesting to see how my collection has changed since this thread started. I had a large selection of German, Japanese and American pens and now have 4 plastic bodied Kaweco Sports, which I use with J.Herbin cartridges. They're amazing little writers for under £20 and barring the Platinum 3776 are my favourite pens.
    The nibs are fantastic for the price bracket, aren't they? I have an Al-Sport Raw (F nib) which I now can't imagine being without, probably my most used FP because it's always with me.

I'm also lucky enough to own two piston filler Sports with gold oblique nibs, wish Kaweco would bring those back to the range.

Current work rotation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Current work rotation
    Kaweco Classic Sport, Kaweco Al-Sport RAW, ??, Pilot piston whatsitsname, something Italian, something I have never seen the like of, Graf von Faber Castell, Starwalker.

As you see, my recognition skills are poor, and you hiding the clips was therefore extra mean ,)

So, what are the middle four?

Banned
    lovely where did you get the case?

Master
    Kaweco Classic Sport, Kaweco Al-Sport RAW, ??, Pilot piston whatsitsname, something Italian, something I have never seen the like of, Graf von Faber Castell, Starwalker.

As you see, my recognition skills are poor, and you hiding the clips was therefore extra mean ,)

4 is a twsbi, 5 a Delta?

Ah

Ok so Kaweco Sport, Kaweco Al Sport, Sailor 1911 Maki-e 'Fuji', TWSBI Diamond 580, Delta Dolcevita, Cross Townsend Platinum ltd edition, Graf Von Faber Castell Intuition Platino, Montblanc Starwalker Rose Gold.

lovely where did you get the case?
    EBay. Was around £40. Can send a link if interested?

Intro to Fountain Pens

Some closer pics of the Sailor as it's a pen that gets commented on pretty much every single time I use it. I got it free as part of a Grand Seiko purchase - the pen is now £535 to buy in the UK!!!! Pretty useful freebie:)

Blog Entries
    Ah

Ok so Kaweco Sport, Kaweco Al Sport, Sailor 1911 Maki-e 'Fuji', TWSBI Diamond 580, Delta Dolcevita, Cross Townsend Platinum ltd edition, Graf Von Faber Castell Intuition Platino, Montblanc Starwalker Rose Gold.

Thanks. But that can't be a real TWSBI, it isn't cracked!

Free Lamy Case

Might of interest to some. Sign up to the mailing list and you'll get 10% off.
    https://www.penandpaper.co.uk/produc...ory/lamy-pens/

Master
    Some closer pics of the Sailor as it's a pen that gets commented on pretty much every single time I use it. I got it free as part of a Grand Seiko purchase - the pen is now £535 to buy in the UK!!!! Pretty useful freebie:)

Just out of curiosity where? Have hunted Hi & low. Available only on eBay.

Master
    I feel your pain, I so want an Orange Sailor but no pennies...

Or Sheafer Legacy in Copper

Is this still available? I don't see anyone selling this. Available on eBay though, quite expensive.

Master
    Is this still available? I don't see anyone selling this. Available on eBay though, quite expensive.
    Anderson Pens in he USA had some new old stock but that colourway is out of stock :(

Master
    Anderson Pens in he USA had some new old stock but that colourway is out of stock :(
    Did you mean "colour always" is out of stock? Is it still being made by Sheaffer?
    If so we can hope it'll be in stock some time in the not so distant future!

Colourway is a term used to describe a colour combination used in an item. For example, a pen case might be available in 3 different colourways.

Master
    Did you mean "colour always" is out of stock? Is it still being made by Sheaffer?
    If so we can hope it'll be in stock some time in the not so distant future!
    These NOS were produced in the 1990's and were the last of the USA made ones. BIC closed the USA factory in 2008.

There are Legacy's available secondhand but not cheap at around the £300 mark.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Colourway is a term used to describe a colour combination used in an item. For example, a pen case might be available in 3 different colourways.
    Ah! Pardon my newbie ignorance.

- - - Updated - - -

These NOS were produced in the 1990's and were the last of the USA made ones. BIC closed the USA factory in 2008.

There are Legacy's available secondhand but not cheap at around the £300 mark.
    Nah! I'll stop coveting it. £ 300 is a bit too much.

Master
    Nah! I'll stop coveting it. £ 300 is a bit too much.
    For me too!

Another Pilot or Sailor first....

Master
    For me too!

Another Pilot or Sailor first....
    Absolutely! 1911 L Taken quite shine to the Pilot/Namiki Sterling series. The only problem is I cannot take it to work- takes there fun out of writing and fear of it getting misplaced.
    I don't want to use it only at home and go "my preciousss" that just defeats the purpose.

Master
    Absolutely! 1911 L Taken quite shine to the Pilot/Namiki Sterling series. The only problem is I cannot take it to work- takes there fun out of writing and fear of it getting misplaced.
    I don't want to use it only at home and go "my preciousss" that just defeats the purpose.
    Pro Gear for me, orange....

All my pens go to work - everything from the lowly Pilot Metro though to my Visconti Wall St (the most expensive pen I own). No point having them if I don't use them.

Master

This is definitely not looking good!

Late last night on the net found out about these two gems

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...-ang-gold-clip fine nib

And this one

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php specifically the vermillion with a fine nib

Cancelled the idea of a Sailor 1911L! Had ordered a Pilot Sterling Hawk which amazon cancelled as the dealer had no stock so that money is still there.
    The question is which one? The 845 gets good reviews ( few reviews available but all rate the pen very highly) The Nakaya is more expensive (I'll stop eating and drinking for a few weeks to save the difference). Is there anyone who has used both? If so your experience please. Is the Nakaya really that good or is it a bit like Montblanc - expensive because it is a Nakaya? I know the lacquering technique is quite labour intensive. I've always wanted a bright red pen

Nakaya make the best fountain pens in the World. They are nothing like Montblanc. Most of their pens are hand made and their most expensive pens are hand made by one man. One of the best European stockists is based in the Netherlands:

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/web...bf050bf7839be4

Master
    Nakaya make the best fountain pens in the World. They are nothing like Montblanc. Most of their pens are hand made and their most expensive pens are hand made by one man. One of the best European stockists is based in the Netherlands:

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/web...bf050bf7839be4
    +1 really highly rated, would love a Dorsal Fin. Not gonna happen!

The pen addict has some reviews - https://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/...view?rq=nakaya

Master
    Nice :) There are two things I'd check how long it is and is it actually in stock, sometimes theres a w
    long wait on Nakaya.

AT that price i'd be terrified of choosing the wrong nib size!

Master
    Nice :) There are two things I'd check how long it is and is it actually in stock, sometimes theres a w
    long wait on Nakaya.

AT that price i'd be terrified of choosing the wrong nib size!
    Told them to hold off, haven't made my decision on the model yet! They (iguanasell) have indicated that the wait could be between 2 and 6 months, I'm OK with this (will just have to miss one meal a day which is manageable!)
    As far as the nib is concerned I was used to F on my Sonnet, then changed to EF. I prefer the EF on my Sonnet. I use Fine on my Sailor and Pilot. Going by this http://www.nakaya.org/en/manual/defa...x?item=pensaki and this http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm a MF or F should be OK. My preference would be towards F. What do you think?

Master
    Told them to hold off, haven't made my decision on the model yet! They (iguanasell) have indicated that the wait could be between 2 and 6 months, I'm OK with this (will just have to miss one meal a day which is manageable!)
    As far as the nib is concerned I was used to F on my Sonnet, then changed to EF. I prefer the EF on my Sonnet. I use Fine on my Sailor and Pilot. Going by this http://www.nakaya.org/en/manual/defa...x?item=pensaki and this http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm a MF or F should be OK. My preference would be towards F. What do you think?
    Looking at the sizes on nibs.com and given your preference for skinny nibs I'd go for a straight F.

The hardest part is now choosing a model, theyre not that expensive when you take into consideration the time, effort and workmanship that goes into making one. Much better value than a Mont Blanc!

Master
    The deed is done. I have paid the deposit on Nakaya Writer She Nurippanashi Urushi Lacquer. My first Nakaya. The dealer has stated 2 to 6 months could it really take 6 months? These 2 look very tempting

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...urushi-lacquer

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...-black-ebonite

Have also joined FPN!

Last edited by 72bpm; 2nd December 2016 at 21:35.

Master

What is the point?

What is the point of cigar pens? Is it to carry in the inside pocket of your suit? True to Tz-UK style, does it make it easier to polish it as there is no clip to complicate polishing!!

Master
    The deed is done. I have paid the deposit on Nakaya Writer She Nurippanashi Urushi Lacquer. My first Nakaya. The dealer has stated 2 to 6 months could it really take 6 months? These 2 look very tempting

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...urushi-lacquer

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...-black-ebonite

Have also joined FPN!

FPN kiss bye to all your money, its worse than drugs....

And watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    And watches?
    Bought just one Since August, an Orient SER2B001D directly from japan!
    "Inspired" by this thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-of-the-Orient
    Last edited by 72bpm; 3rd December 2016 at 10:53.

Master
    I've started liking this one too
    https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...fountain-pen-1
    SWMBO WILL definitely kill me if I do so.