closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Just ordered an Edison Herald from here: http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webs...in-p-6085.html £15 cheaper than The Writing Desk who are the UK AD. It seems to apply to a number of their other pens too, a steel Lamy 2000 is £55 cheaper.
    Just to update on this. With the current £/€ advantage the pen was £20 cheaper than the UK and arrived in two days with tracking from NL. I'd certainly recommend comparing prices against UK suppliers as some pens are significantly cheaper.
    I can also recommend Edison too. They produce beautiful, typically American pens, that offer a more individual alternative to the usual brands.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 14th February 2015 at 18:16.

Master
    Popped into The Pen Shop yesterday on Regents St, lots of choice for a small shop but resisted temptation as I'm really after something in classic ivory or yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    My daily companion - makes even my horrible handwriting look good

Just stumbled upon this....what a thread!

Anyway, I have two of these, and carry one in my briefcase everyday. However it's the £10 Parker Vector I pull out to write with, unless sitting at the desk for a while.

Gutted this week when I found the vector missing. Threw it into the hospital laundry on my scrubs. Gone! That's the second one I've lost in the same way. The other was a really expensive aboriginal design special edition (oh...£15). Simple cheap dependable pens, with good flow, as I usually have to write pretty quickly.

I would strongly recommend a Lamy Safari if you are starting back up. I bought one with a few nibs, they are really easy to change and allow you to work out what size you like. Saves you getting into an expensive pen with a nib you don't like.

Master
    Just joined the fountain pen network - have a feeling this is going to cost me ££££ :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Just joined the fountain pen network - have a feeling this is going to cost me ££££ :)
    Save yourself a small fortune and buy the best - a Pelikan 800 - straightaway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Way out of my league, but very nice.

There's no doubt that the 800 is an excellent pen, and I sometimes think of swapping in my collection for a couple in this price range, but I doubt they would ever get used.
    They're generally too big to use posted, too heavy for prolonged use, too valuable to be carried on a daily basis and I suspect a number of them are designed and bought as desk trinkets.
    For me, part of the enjoyment is about finding about about different styles and brands and deciding what works for me, rather than just buying the best/most expensive from the outset.

Master
    There's no doubt that the 800 is an excellent pen, and I sometimes think of swapping in my collection for a couple in this price range, but I doubt they would ever get used.
    They're generally too big to use posted, too heavy for prolonged use, too valuable to be carried on a daily basis and I suspect a number of them are designed and bought as desk trinkets.
    For me, part of the enjoyment is about finding about about different styles and brands and deciding what works for me, rather than just buying the best/most expensive from the outset.
    Fairy Nuff.

So, buy a 400. It's not the size that matters, but the mechanism.

Master
    for me I love pens (and pads! and ink!) of all styles and have probably have 50+ on my desk at work.

The fountain pens are just part of my habit - they range from the sentimental - the Waterman that is as scratchy as hell but my grandparents bought it for my 21st, the Lamy Safari that is abused daily and lost frequently but never seems to dry out and the beautifully inexpensive TWSBI Classic I have just bought off Bonzo.

I do fancy a Pelikan Highlighter fountain pen though!

Master
    http://www.penpractice.com/page5.html

Dr Laurence Oldfield's 'Pen Practice'.

Fairy Nuff.

So, buy a 400. It's not the size that matters, but the mechanism.
    I briefly had a 215 which I believe has the same mechanism but not the same nib as the 400, and it was a waste of £95. I've also owned lever/sac fill Conway Stewart's and they are too fussy for me. I know the cartridge converter is like the quartz watch to some, but for me they're fuss free and convenient.

I bought a gorgeous Italian made Aurora fountain pen. I hoped it would improve my writing.
    Well it did, - just a little, but I love the feel of it when I write.

This one - though not from this dealer....
    https://www.goldspot.com/products/au...t-fountain-pen

Master
    I briefly had a 215 which I believe has the same mechanism but not the same nib as the 400, and it was a waste of £95. I've also owned lever/sac fill Conway Stewart's and they are too fussy for me. I know the cartridge converter is like the quartz watch to some, but for me they're fuss free and convenient.
    I agree with you about filling systems and I prefer converters, too.

One of the few good piston-filler makers, however, is Pelikan and the 400/600/800 series are excellent.

Master
    Just a small follow up... Pen cleaning. Due to not a lot use my Waterman isn't running as freely as it should. It writes but the start of each word is faint. I've tried flushing it when refilling from the bottle but I'm thinking it needs a good clean out. Any suggestion please on suitable fluid to clean the innards with? Cheers.

Anyone interested in a bargain Waterman carene try amazon.co.uk.

2/3 off!!!!
    Last edited by Integrale; 20th February 2015 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Just a small follow up... Pen cleaning. Due to not a lot use my Waterman isn't running as freely as it should. It writes but the start of each word is faint. I've tried flushing it when refilling from the bottle but I'm thinking it needs a good clean out. Any suggestion please on suitable fluid to clean the innards with? Cheers.
    It might just need some time to dry out after flushing. For really tough dried ink you can use dilute ammonia but you have be be very careful about that because it can damage a lot of pens (especially vintage) and can tarnish steel - there's lots of information online if you google it, I'd recommend reading several articles before considering it. Mostly, just plain water is recommended because that's safest. An ultrasonic bath is good, just be careful not to submerge pens that shouldn't be, you normally just need to clean the nib and the feed, which should be removable.

^ I'd agree with this, but if the pen is valuable/sentimental I'd send it to a professional repairer such as Penfriend.

Master
    ^ I'd agree with this, but if the pen is valuable/sentimental I'd send it to a professional repairer such as Penfriend.
    I'll leave it in a cup of water overnight.... That's probably all it needs.

Craftsman
    No-one else has mentioned Caran d'Ache. I got one a Leman 10 years ago, and whilst the nib needed a bit of wearing in to write smoothly it's been my faultless daily pen ever since.

Quite weighty so not one to use with the lid attached, but been worked hard and never let me down

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh View Post
    No-one else has mentioned Caran d'Ache. I got one a Leman 10 years ago, and whilst the nib needed a bit of wearing in to write smoothly it's been my faultless daily pen ever since.
    Haven't tried their fountain pens, but they make some very good inks, albeit expensive ones. Grand Canyon is one of the nicest inks I've found, especially for sketching, as the colour is reminiscent of faded parchment drawings by Leonardo da Vinci. It tends to be the only ink I use regularly that isn't black.

While we're on "arty" brands that haven't been mentioned, my next pen is likely to be a Graf von Faber-Castell that I've had my eye on for a while. I've only tried it briefly in the Pen Shop, so it remains to be seen if it'll be as good as I'm hoping.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    De-ionised water - used for topping up car batteries and in domestic irons - available from your local petrol station.

You'll be surprised how well it works.

Received a Kaweco Classic Sport today and have to say that I am underwhelmed by the cheap plastic body. However the nib writes nice and smooth, and it's a great compact size. In that price range the Platinum Plaisir seems better value for money though.

I have 3 fountain pens:

• Pelikan Souveran M600 with a blue/black striated body and a fine nib.
    • Parker 95 bought in 1992 for my 21st Birthday with money from my Uncle. It has a brushed stainless steel body, gold clip and decorations and a medium nib.
    • Lamy Safari in silver

I've started using them again in the last two weeks, mainly as a result of this thread. I've started keeping a work log book during the day and switch between the three pens. I write in a Black n Red notebook which has excellent paper for fountain pen ink. I love writing with the Pelikan. It feels so lightweight and smooth. The Parker is a lovely pen too. The nib is a bit thicker and is very smooth. The Lamy is somewhat outclassed by the other two pens.

Lately I've been lusting after the Pilot Capless/Vanishing Point. I don't know anywhere to try one out though. If I got one I'd probably order from the States as they are a lot cheaper there than here.

I also have a Yard-o-Led Ball Pen and Pencil set. I use a Parker gel cartridge in the pen.

Last edited by Phil Lee; 22nd February 2015 at 16:02.

Hi,

So I am enjoying writing again with a pen :)
    I now have 2 fountain pens.. the Dunhill I picked up - lovely feel to it - seems very - sturdy - seems to dry out quite quickly so the ink I use has a large bearing.. the Sapphire blue from Diamine seems to flow best and be usable without having to wipe the nib after no use for a day or so.

I also have a Schofield Pen (made by Onoto) lovely simple silver and arylic - love the No 7 nib on it - never seems to dry out.

So I am on the hunt for other interesting pens - I am after those which are well made, nice to look at and hold and use - so not looking for super special editions which live in a box.

So whilst trawling ebay I quite like the look of :

Cartier (love the Dandy)
    St Dupont (again the larger Olympio I fancy)
    Dunhill (though I have one - not sure I need another)

Not sure which models of Mont Blanc to look at - theres a vast range so a bit lost there.. again the chunkier style or metal finished rather then the plastic appeals to me as well...

Any suggestions of other brands / models to have a look at :)

Cheers

Matt

I notice that the Parker Duofold is conspicuous by its absence from this long thread, and from the discussion in general whenever the subject of fountain pens crops up. How do you pen buffs rate the modern iteration? I saw a white (imitation ivory?) model in a shop window this week and it did look rather handsome.

Master
    I always lusted after one in pearl and black for many years, that was until I tried one. Although they are a large pen I found it really lightweight and didn't like it :(

I've got a Millenium edition Duofold, which is great: smooth nib, nice size for me. Ink filling by converter, which I like less than piston fillers, but it's a small price to pay for overall elegance and durability. it's current.y filled with Herbin Stormy grey, a dark grey with gold flecks in it, which I really like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I notice that the Parker Duofold is conspicuous by its absence from this long thread, and from the discussion in general whenever the subject of fountain pens crops up. How do you pen buffs rate the modern iteration? I saw a white (imitation ivory?) model in a shop window this week and it did look rather handsome.
    Duofold? Too much gold plate and plastic ...

Last edited by Tinker; 2nd March 2015 at 00:03.

I haven't tried the Duofold, but I do have a few Parkers and what I've found is that their higher-end pens aren't that much better than their much cheaper ones, although the finish is obviously a lot better. So I think once you go over about £100, a modern Parker is no longer the best writing instrument you can buy for the money - and probably not even in the top 5. Yet, my Premier Black Edition is still my overall favourite pen and the one I use most often, just because I like the look, the weight, the finish etc., even though the PVD is starting to wear off in places and nearly any pen at the same price point would be a better writer. It's not that it's a bad writer; it's just not much better than a Sonnet that costs £60 or a Twsbi. Still, as a complete package it's just an amazing pen and somehow feels like it should cost a lot more than it does.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have 3 fountain pens:
    I also have a Yard-o-Led Ball Pen and Pencil set. I use a Parker gel cartridge in the pen.

Oooh, lovely! I have the matching Fountain pen, which is very nice to write with, if not quite as free flowing as my M800. If you ever feel like getting rid of the pencil (or both) I'd be interested

-- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    Oooh, lovely! I have the matching Fountain pen, which is very nice to write with, if not quite as free flowing as my M800. If you ever feel like getting rid of the pencil (or both) I'd be interested

-- Tim
    They were anniversary presents so no chance of that :) I'd love the matching fountain pen.

Master
    Anyone using Visconti? Contemplating an inexpensive Rembrandt, well inexpensive compared to some of their other pens!

Anyone using Visconti? Contemplating an inexpensive Rembrandt, well inexpensive compared to some of their other pens!
    Yes. Others and I have already commented on Visconti earlier.

Master
    Visconti make/made some excellent pens using celluloid. This is the 'Wall Street'. Sadly, however, to find one with a celluloid 'section' (the part you hold between fingers & thumb), you have to buy a 'Limited Edition' or other such nonsense.

The standard 'Wall Street' comes with a cold, unwelcoming metal section:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Yes. Others and I have already commented on Visconti earlier.
    Thanks for pointing that out :)

I have a Mont Blanc 145 which I use everyday. It's a lovely thing but needed a bit of work by John Sorowka to get it flowing properly after I bought it and then didn't use it for 10 years.

I also have a few vintage pens which get occasional use. A Conway Stewart and Wyvern, but the best of the bunch is a Parker 51...amazing smooth flowing nib....Bought from ebay for £10.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say..the Queen uses a Parker 51 so if it's good enough for Her Madge it's good enough for me :)

Montblanc Thomas Mann 2009 Writers Edition

I'll do a WTB soon, but just thought might as well post here, if you come across a Montblanc Thomas Mann 2009 Writers Edition, or have one in your collection that you're prepared to sell please drop me a PM.

Thanks

I bought a fine nibbed copper orange Lamy Al-Star (complete with copper orange ink cartridges) earlier in the week. I also have a fine nibbed Lamy 2000 on the way, hopefully arriving on Saturday. Finally I bought a couple of bottles of Pelican Edelstein ink.

Like the copper orange Lamy, good choice. Where are you buying the ink?

Quote Originally Posted by chafer View Post
    Like the copper orange Lamy, good choice. Where are you buying the ink?
    I got the Lamy copper orange ink from Cult Pens, where I bought the pen. You can buy it from most online retailers including Amazon.

Master
    I can whole heartedly recommend Cult Pens, their service is impeccable. Not necessarily the cheapest but their delivery is fast and free if you spend over £10.

So far this month I've ordered a TWSBI 580AL Orange, 6 bottles of Diamine ink, Lamy 1.1 nib and some Koh-I-Noor Magic Lead Pencils as they looked like fun.

Seriously addicted to this pen lark!

Master
    It's been a platinated 145 for me for the last ten years or so - never lost or leaked and lovely to write with.

Then smashed against a German hotel room wall in a freak bluebottle accident. Here you see the results, side by side with the identical twin replacement I picked up at Frankfurt airport;

I had assumed that the insurance company would write it off and cover the cost of the replacement (especially as bought with a great Euro exchange rate) but no. They are repairing it with a new barrel and I will get it back in another week or so.

So now I have two.

Expect to see something on SC in the near future

I've seem to have developed a stationery problem. In the last month I have bought the following:

Row 1: 3 x Field Notes Arts and Sciences; Lihit Lab Teffa Pen Case; 12 x Field Notes rubber bands
    Row 2: Field Notes: Dot Graph; Unexposed; Cold Horizons; Drink Local Lagers; New Jersey County Fair; Ambition; Expedition; Midori 30cm Aluminium Multi Rule
    Row 3: Midori: Traveler's Notebook; Pocket Stickers (not shown); Connecting Bands; Lined Notebook; Plain Notebook; Clear Zipper Pocket; Kraft Folder
    Row 4a: 2 x Staedtler rubbers; 3 x Lamy multipen rubbers
    Row 4b: Staedtler Norris eco HB & Noris colour (freebies); 2 x Caran dAche Swiss Wood 348 HB Pencil; 0.5mm uni-ball Kuru Toga High Grade Premium Edition Mechanical Pencil; 2.0mm Rotring Rapid Pro mechanical pencil
    Row 4c: Lamy Al-Star Copper Orange F; Red and blue Uni-ball Signo DX UM-151 0.38mm Gel Rollerballs
    Row 4d: Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire and Topaz inks; Lamy Copper Orange cartridges

Awaiting delivery: Lamy 2000 F fountain pen; 2 x Field Notes Two Rivers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I've seem to have developed a stationery problem. In the last month I have bought the following:

Row 1: 3 x Field Notes Arts and Sciences; Lihit Lab Teffa Pen Case; 12 x Field Notes rubber bands
    Row 2: Field Notes: Dot Graph; Unexposed; Cold Horizons; Drink Local Lagers; New Jersey County Fair; Ambition; Expedition; Midori 30cm Aluminium Multi Rule
    Row 3: Midori: Traveler's Notebook; Pocket Stickers (not shown); Connecting Bands; Lined Notebook; Plain Notebook; Clear Zipper Pocket; Kraft Folder
    Row 4a: 2 x Staedtler rubbers; 3 x Lamy multipen rubbers
    Row 4b: Staedtler Norris eco HB & Noris colour (freebies); 2 x Caran dAche Swiss Wood 348 HB Pencil; 0.5mm uni-ball Kuru Toga High Grade Premium Edition Mechanical Pencil; 2.0mm Rotring Rapid Pro mechanical pencil
    Row 4c: Lamy Al-Star Copper Orange F; Red and blue Uni-ball Signo DX UM-151 0.38mm Gel Rollerballs
    Row 4d: Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire and Topaz inks; Lamy Copper Orange cartridges

Awaiting delivery: Lamy 2000 F fountain pen; 2 x Field Notes Two Rivers

I got the Norris freebies too!

Lusting after a Midori, can't decide on full size or passport. Where did you get yours from?

I got the Norris freebies too!

Lusting after a Midori, can't decide on full size or passport. Where did you get yours from?
    I got the Midori itself from Amazon. The internals came from The Journal Shop.

Was in a groovy lifestyle gadget shop today and I saw these, Aninote books - a notebook and flickbook combined.

http://www.maisonwhite.co.uk/aninotes-notebooks/

Banned
    here is a heads up

Schrade Tactical Combo Pen WAS £32.95

£14.95

http://www.heinnie.com/schrade-tacti...-pen-was-32-95

I bought one months ago but only just started using it last week as a fountain pen [originally I was going to use the ball pen bit].

I decided it was so tough I could use it out of the house as well, which I have never done with a fountain pen.

It writes lovey and smooth, as good as my waterman pens.

I am using a waterman converter so can use my favourite diamine majestic blue or onyx ink.

its long, so don't write with the cap on, it has a comfortable grip.
    at this price its a steal and if you want can be used in self defence apparently, just saying.

Master
    Any suggestions for a decent A5 notebook to go inside my "flex by Filofax"? The standard flex notebooks suffer from too much bleed through from my Parker Cisele.
    Thanks

Banned
    I find the Oxford optic paper very good for fountain pens,also the Sainsbury moleskin look a like pads are very good.

would any of these work for you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_9psv2qix6i_b