closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Master
    Todays acquisitions, would be rude not to only £10.98 inc shipping..

Master

Then There Were Three!

Started with a single Pilot Capless, was looking to get a black one as well. Ended up winning the blue on eBay! Even with the import duty this worked out much cheaper than UK
    Quite fancied a yellow pen so bought one on eBay as well from cerisiersjaponais! A word of warning, it is more a mustard yellow rather than lemon yellow. I'm not sure if Pilot make them in both colours. In the pictures on eBay and other sites the yellow comes across as lemon rather than mustard.
    A few lines about the blue - it arrived with a nib bent at 90 degrees, I cannot fathom how it happened, I mean the nib is "hidden", package arrived well packed. Emailed the seller, very generous offer, asked me to complain to Royal Mail (Ha!) and send him a copy of the reply. Refunded me within 2 days and asked me to keep the pen! Cool-Japan if anyone is interested.
    The yellow arrived and didn't have any custom duties as it was marked "bent nib replacement pen"! I'm wondering do these 2 seller know each other/ are the same - just my paranoia!!
    A few words about the repair, mailed it to Mr Peter Crook of Carneil Pens in Dumfermline along with my Parker 51 and he repaired it free of charge and a very nominal sum to service my Parker 51!
    All in all I'm really pleased. This is not a plug just my happy experience.
    On a side, we do get the sun in Scotland!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 6th May 2017 at 10:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I only buy quality pens from Authorised Dealers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    But you can miss out on some great s/h bargains by limiting your vendors...but there are risks :)

Pilot have done 3 yellow VP's http://carmenriverapens.com/vanishing_point.htm
    Last edited by LuBee; 6th May 2017 at 12:52.

Blog Entries
    Just ordered some Japanese paper to go with the pens 

z
    Last edited by zelig; 6th May 2017 at 23:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    But you can miss out on some great s/h bargains by limiting your vendors...but there are risks :)

Pilot have done 3 yellow VP's http://carmenriverapens.com/vanishing_point.htm
    Thanks for the info. I now want the mandarin yellow!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Thanks for the info. I now want the mandarin yellow!
    Thats a rarity! I have the standard production yellow to quell my need for a yellow pen. Would love a Vivid Red SE as the current production red is more akin to burgundy and not my thing at all.

Master
    Thats a rarity! I have the standard production yellow to quell my need for a yellow pen. Would love a Vivid Red SE as the current production red is more akin to burgundy and not my thing at all.
    The eBay seller I bought the mustard yellow from seems to have one! In the process of confirming this with him. Apparently only 1500 were made. It may well be be he's got a standard yellow.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 7th May 2017 at 16:41.

Master
    The eBay seller I bought the mustard yellow from seems to have one! In the process of confirming this with him. Apparently only 1500 were made. It may well be be he's got a standard yellow.
    Paid Euro 86 for the pen including P & P! As I said very unlikely it will be the mandarin yellow.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 8th May 2017 at 00:05.

Master
    Paid Euro 86 for the pen including P & P! As I said very unlikely it will be the mandarin yellow.
    Even so that was a great price, they're retailing at £150 mark through an authorised UK dealer.

Master
    Even so that was a great price, they're retailing at £150 mark through an authorised UK dealer.
    Why do you think I'm buying it! Still cheap with 20% VAT. The seller is insisting it the mandarin yellow! From what I've read I still think it is the standard yellow. Let's see what I get.

Master
    Why do you think I'm buying it! Still cheap with 20% VAT. The seller is insisting it the mandarin yellow! From what I've read I still think it is the standard yellow. Let's see what I get.
    fingers crossed for Mandarin Yellow, makes my eyes water looking at it!

Apprentice

Kaweco Liliput is a rather nice pen :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PollandAkuma View Post

Kaweco Liliput is a rather nice pen :)
    nice looker...Kaweco a brand i dont own.

Master
    Anyone aware of what discount you can normally get on a Mont Blanc pen?

I bought one from their boutique in Italy a couple of years ago and there was zero discount but I got 1.43 euros which made it cheap. I got 15% off one from my usual AD last time without asking, but though I'd check here first.

Master
    Todays acquisitions, would be rude not to only £10.98 inc shipping..

Arrived today and I have inked 3 up so far. For less than a couple of quid each I am very impressed, uber lightweight, very smooth nib, more like a european fine than a Japanese one.

Master
    Does anyone know of any good (fountain) pen related instagram accounts?

Just bought a couple of lovely Graf Von Faber Castel pens and a lovely black/gold S T DuPont (I love the DuPont "click" of the cap!).
    Last edited by ach5; 19th May 2017 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Does anyone know of any good (fountain) pen related instagram accounts?

Just bought a couple of lovely Graf Von Faber Castel pens and a lovely black/gold S T DuPont (I love the DuPont "click" of the cap!).
    There are loads. Here are a few:

@penaddict
    @edjelley
    @penucopia
    @wellapptdesk
    @clickypost
    @leighpod
    @gentlemanstationer
    @thenibsmith
    @dandon375
    @owl.ink
    @sbrebrown

@brooks_803
    @newtonpens
    @kanileapenco
    @twsbi
    @franklinchristoph

@andersonpens
    @cultpens
    @penchalet
    @gouletpens
    @justvanness
    @jetpens

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    There are loads. Here are a few:

@penaddict
    @edjelley
    @penucopia
    @wellapptdesk
    @clickypost
    @leighpod
    @gentlemanstationer
    @thenibsmith
    @dandon375
    @owl.ink
    @sbrebrown

@brooks_803
    @newtonpens
    @kanileapenco
    @twsbi
    @franklinchristoph

@andersonpens
    @cultpens
    @penchalet
    @gouletpens
    @justvanness
    @jetpens

Thanks for that - I will look at them all. I found loads on a search but I meant are there one or two specific accounts that are thought to be the better accounts to follow, based on your experience? I don't like to sign up to too many as my feed gets flooded.

Thanks for that - I will look at them all. I found loads on a search but I meant are there one or two specific accounts that are thought to be the better accounts to follow, based on your experience? I don't like to sign up to too many as my feed gets flooded.
    I'd go for @penaddict first as it belongs to Brad Dowdy of the Pen Addict podcast. He posts a lot of reviews and photos of new and vintage pens. @leighpod is a Nakaya collector from the Philippines. She has an amazing collection. Jonathan Brooks @brooks_803 and Sean Newton @newtonpens are pen makers who share all the pens they make as well as offer them for sale via Instagram.

Master
    I'd go for @penaddict first as it belongs to Brad Dowdy of the Pen Addict podcast. He posts a lot of reviews and photos of new and vintage pens. @leighpod is a Nakaya collector from the Philippines. She has an amazing collection. Jonathan Brooks @brooks_803 and Sean Newton @newtonpens are pen makers who share all the pens they make as well as offer them for sale via Instagram.
    Brilliant thanks👍🏻

Apprentice
    @squishyink too <3

Heads up for anyone who missed the earlier Namisu pens:

https://www.namisu.com/collections/f...ashed-titanium

Master
    fingers crossed for Mandarin Yellow, makes my eyes water looking at it!
    Disappointed it is the mustard yellow. Will have to return it. I'll see if he can send a black one or any other colour!

Master
    Disappointed it is the mustard yellow. Will have to return it. I'll see if he can send a black one or any other colour!
    Thats a shame, but I suspect a 2003 Mandarin Yellow SE is going to set you back around $400.
    Last edited by LuBee; 20th May 2017 at 14:55.

Master
    Thats a shame, but I suspect a 2003 Mandarin Yellow SE is going to set you back around $400.
    Thought as much, if it is too good to be true and all that.
    Have dutifully informed the seller who's willing to refund.

Not sure how I have managed this but I lost my Karas kustoms brass bolt pen on my travels, it has been my EDC pen for a couple of years, fantastic thing. Been retracing my travels today, but I feel it has gone, and will be a good find for its new owner. I will replace it as I have a load of refills for it, may upgrade to copper instead of brass.

I hate losing things, oh well someone's lucky find.

Cult Pens sell Karas Kustoms pens if you want to buy from a UK seller. Alternatively Karas have a Father's Day promotion running at the moment.

Cult Pens sell Karas Kustoms pens if you want to buy from a UK seller. Alternatively Karas have a Father's Day promotion running at the moment.
    I have used cultpens a lot, very good and only 5 miles from my workshop. The customs and handling charges mean I will not purchase direct from Karas this time.

I will miss my Brass pen, so I think I will try the copper this time.

Journeyman
    Have not even seen one since school but this thread has rekindled an interest!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Have not even seen one since school but this thread has rekindled an interest!
    And down the rabbit hole you go.....

Apprentice
    nice looker...Kaweco a brand i dont own.
    Their nibs are known to be dry, but the Sports and Liliputs are very unique. Some of their inks are pretty nice too, albeit expensive.

Master
    And down the rabbit hole you go.....
    Another one bites the dust!

A quick trip to cult pens early in the week when I noticed they had a small lamy showroom open to allow public viewing when looking on the website, it was a great chance to try a extra fine nib on a safari pen.

Picked up a new safari pen in Petrol with the EF nib, wanted to see what the petrol ink is like and it is fantastic.

Great service and reception from cultpens as always.

Picked up my new Karas kustoms bolt in copper at the same time, which after a few days use is already starting to get a cool pataina. Both new pens are my work EDC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    A quick trip to cult pens early in the week when I noticed they had a small lamy showroom open to allow public viewing when looking on the website, it was a great chance to try a extra fine nib on a safari pen.

Picked up a new safari pen in Petrol with the EF nib, wanted to see what the petrol ink is like and it is fantastic.

Great service and reception from cultpens as always.

Picked up my new Karas kustoms bolt in copper at the same time, which after a few days use is already starting to get a cool pataina. Both new pens are my work EDC.
    I love Cultpens service is always brilliant, congrats on finding the ink it seems to be in short supply. Wonder if they have had to have a Lamy Showroom so they can continue selling them online and comply with the bricks and mortar clause of now selling Lamy in the UK. I have also read online via the Goulet Blog that Lamy are only going to be offering EF to the German and Asian markets.

Master
    I made a spontaneous purchase the other day after seeing a photo of this pen somewhere.

I've had a lifelong fascination with pens, but have zero technical knowledge - I just buy what looks nice to my eye - so I don't know where this pen ranks, but I think it looks great with the black nib, in extra fine for use as a "technical" pen for detailed writing / drawing.

Anyway $80, less 15% with free shipping from the USofA - seems worth it.

I'll update when it arrives if there's any interest.

https://www.ensso.com/products/piuma...black-aluminum

Master
    Incidentally, are there any good pen shops with a good range of display pens in the North West?

The Pen Shop seems lacking, and so I do most of my pen buying in Europe where independent pen shops with a wide range of brands are commonplace.

Master
    Incidentally, are there any good pen shops with a good range of display pens in the North West?

The Pen Shop seems lacking, and so I do most of my pen buying in Europe where independent pen shops with a wide range of brands are commonplace.
    Only know of Iridium in Kendal but not sure what they have display wise.

Apprentice
    https://notionquick.wordpress.com/20...ut-brass-wave/

Made a little review of my brass liliput. Hope it's helpful!

Master
    Arrived today and I have inked 3 up so far. For less than a couple of quid each I am very impressed, uber lightweight, very smooth nib, more like a european fine than a Japanese one.
    LuBee, could you post the link? MY boy is getting into pens now! Ever since I gave him a fountain pen (donated so kindly by Seffrican) He's been eyeing my Nakaya since it arrived. I've told it's a pen for "grown ups" he looking at my red Sonnet with gold trim!
    Gave up and ordered a Jinhao X 450 in red. Your pen set might just be the ticket to keep him occupied and off my pens!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PollandAkuma View Post
    https://notionquick.wordpress.com/20...ut-brass-wave/

Made a little review of my brass liliput. Hope it's helpful!
    That's excellent - I have ordered one of these as I love small fountain pens

Master
    LuBee, could you post the link? MY boy is getting into pens now! Ever since I gave him a fountain pen (donated so kindly by Seffrican) He's been eyeing my Nakaya since it arrived. I've told it's a pen for "grown ups" he looking at my red Sonnet with gold trim!
    Gave up and ordered a Jinhao X 450 in red. Your pen set might just be the ticket to keep him occupied and off my pens!
    Picked them up off eBay, took about 10 days to arrive but they are stonking pens, all write really well straight out of the box, didn't bother flushing, too impatient. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1624718482...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have an Orange Jinhao x250 that he can have (if he wants it!), happy to pop it in the post along with an ink sample if you let me know his favourite colour.

-----

Have found them cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Transpar...UAAOSwK6RZJAXw
    Last edited by LuBee; 26th May 2017 at 20:03.

Master
    Well, the Ensso is fantastic - solid, weighty, extremely well designed & finished with a beautiful EF nib. Arrived from LA (USofA) in 5 days including a weekend, no taxes and cost £62.

I'm awaiting delivery of a Montegrappa and a Visconti, which I'll photograph when they arrive, but for now this is my collection as it stands.

I'll not do a "write up" but feel free to post any queries re: make / model / etc. I'll just add that the silver and black coloured Parkers were from my dad at Christmas when I was 15 and 16, and are much beloved - I'd always enjoyed pens before these, but these were my first "expensive" and "proper" pens!

Master
    Nice collection....

Master
    Nice collection....
    Thank you!

I didn't realise I was a "collector" until I bought a couple more recently and then decided to get all my pens from their various desks and drawers and put them all together and realised I had a collection!

They've been acquired slowly over the years, but there's been a definite increase in the last 2 weeks where I've acquired about 5... 2 more still to land.

Today I have just taken delivery of a customised monogram wax seal kit for "sealing" envelopes with my personalised initials in a Victorian gothic sort of design - I think there's nothing nicer than sending a letter written with a good pen and unusual coloured ink, on pure cotton high quality paper with a wax seal in a nice colour on the back... much better than a "text" !

Thank you!

I didn't realise I was a "collector" until I bought a couple more recently and then decided to get all my pens from their various desks and drawers and put them all together and realised I had a collection!

They've been acquired slowly over the years, but there's been a definite increase in the last 2 weeks where I've acquired about 5... 2 more still to land.

Today I have just taken delivery of a customised monogram wax seal kit for "sealing" envelopes with my personalised initials in a Victorian gothic sort of design - I think there's nothing nicer than sending a letter written with a good pen and unusual coloured ink, on pure cotton high quality paper with a wax seal in a nice colour on the back... much better than a "text" !
    Is that a Conklin next to the brass Kaweco? What model is it? I prefer pocket pens and am looking for alternatives to the Kaweco Sport.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Is that a Conklin next to the brass Kaweco? What model is it? I prefer pocket pens and am looking for alternatives to the Kaweco Sport.
    Conklin Minigraph, Baltic Blue, Broad nib - it really is tiny though! Definitely needs to be posted to use, unless you have tiny hands.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Some lovely collections! As an aside I've had a Mont Blanc fountain pen for about 11 years, never got on with the thing as it's never flowed properly. Time for a service? Problem is with a *few* others to choose from I've never done anything about it..!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Some lovely collections! As an aside I've had a Mont Blanc fountain pen for about 11 years, never got on with the thing as it's never flowed properly. Time for a service? Problem is with a *few* others to choose from I've never done anything about it..!
    Seems a shame for what is probably a very nice pen. Send it to a nib specialist like John Sorowoka and he'll sort it out for around £25.

He did this on my Waterman Expert that had lain in a draw neglected for years, its was of sentimental more that monetary value as my grandparents gave it to me for my 21st. I just said to him just make it write better (nib was corroded as I naughtily left ink in it!) and he did.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks very much, I'll look in to that, be lovely to use it more often

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Thanks very much, I'll look in to that, be lovely to use it more often

I have used his services through Write Here in Shrewsbury.