closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Master
    A very polite email from the seller, Nakaya have been in touch I should have my pen in 5 months time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    A very polite email from the seller, Nakaya have been in touch I should have my pen in 5 months time!
    Which model did you go for in the end?

Apprentice
    I've got a Montblanc 34 coming to me :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Which model did you go for in the end?
    The Writer Portable Shu-Nurippanashi, Urushi Lacquer. Also had the Writer Kuro Tanemuri in mind but have too many black pens! Thanks for asking.

Master
    The Writer Portable Shu-Nurippanashi, Urushi Lacquer. Also had the Writer Kuro Tanemuri in mind but have too many black pens! Thanks for asking.
    Nice choice - I think if you are dropping the money on a pen might as well be a statement one :) Life's too short for black pens....

Master
    Nice choice - I think if you are dropping the money on a pen might as well be a statement one :) Life's too short for black pens....
    I'm glad you approve of it, because money permitting this will bought as well ( at some point) Namiki Urushi Lacquer Vermillion No 20 with a fine nib of course! https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/product...fountain-pen-1. Was thinking about the No 50 but I cannot justify spending that kind of money. Just like watches, started off with a Tag Heuer then a Submariner and moved on to (IMO) better quality watches (not necessarily more expensive) and more importantly watches that make me happy.

Waterman Expert £36

This is a good deal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterman-S0...2SYR234FR&th=1
    Currently £113 from John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    This is a good deal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterman-S0...2SYR234FR&th=1
    Currently £113 from John Lewis
    Thanks for that. Just ordered one as a present for someone. Good price.

Chris

I've always liked pens and a couple of years ago settled on a Pelikan M800. Love it and no Mont Blanc leaks !

Anyway, whilst clearing out my 88 years old fathers' house as he was moving to a home I found my late mothers Parker 51. In the original box. She died in 1985 and I guess the pen is from the mid sixties. I've not tried to ink it, and would like to send it for a service.

Any recommendations as to who would be appropriate for such a job ??

http://www.penhome.co.uk/pen-repairs.html

I lost my Parker 51 at work a couple of weeks ago. Miffed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    http://www.penhome.co.uk/pen-repairs.html

I lost my Parker 51 at work a couple of weeks ago. Miffed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Saw them when I googled, but anyone used them and been happy ?

Yes had two vintage Parker pen and pencil sets done by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I've always liked pens and a couple of years ago settled on a Pelikan M800. Love it and no Mont Blanc leaks !

Anyway, whilst clearing out my 88 years old fathers' house as he was moving to a home I found my late mothers Parker 51. In the original box. She died in 1985 and I guess the pen is from the mid sixties. I've not tried to ink it, and would like to send it for a service.

Any recommendations as to who would be appropriate for such a job ??
    http://www.penhome.co.uk/pen-repairs.html - They have a decent reputation for pen repairs. That Parker 51 will be special to you once serviced.

I have three Pelikan M805s (M800s with silver finishing)and absolutely love them. For me they are the perfect pens for me in terms of weight, performance, nib (M) and looks. Use them every day now for work and they have made my other pens redundant.

Chris

Jeremy Collingridge did a great job on my Parker 51, a very knowledgeable person who really loves fountain pens, if you do a quick search he is regarded very highly.

Craftsman
    The montblanc are great but slightly pretentious

Master
    Seems like Parker 51 is the pen to have! It is too expensive, for a bit more money I can get this:
    https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/product...wave-fk-35smfn

Master
    Seems like Parker 51 is the pen to have! It is too expensive, for a bit more money I can get this:
    You really are a magpie!

Master
    You really are a magpie!
    Actually, magpies are like me!

The Parker 51 is a great vintage pen to have, especially for daily use. It was very popular at its time due to the unique design and there are plenty knocking about, so you can easily get one for under £100. Much cheaper than the Namiki! Though by comparison it is a rather plain pen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post
    The Parker 51 is a great vintage pen to have, especially for daily use. It was very popular at its time due to the unique design and there are plenty knocking about, so you can easily get one for under £100. Much cheaper than the Namiki! Though by comparison it is a rather plain pen.
    You do make very persuasive argument/s. This looks very tasty http://www.penhome.co.uk/our-refurbi...steel-cap.html
    No other choice will have to get both! Seriously, It doesn't make my heart sing, doesn't make a smile, doesn't make me go "my precioussss". Just to show I'm not a snob, I have a battered, old Wing Sung which (cost me < £10) brings a smile to by face.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 30th December 2016 at 20:31.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    The montblanc are great but slightly pretentious
    Not the vintage economy ones :D I love the old designs.

You do make very persuasive argument/s. This looks very tasty http://www.penhome.co.uk/our-refurbi...steel-cap.html
    No other choice will have to get both! Seriously, It doesn't make my heart sing, doesn't make a smile, doesn't make me go "my precioussss". Just to show I'm not a snob, I have a battered, old Wing Sung which (cost me < £10) brings a smile to by face.
    Prices on penhome look to be on the high side of things. There are quite a few on here http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/parker/parker.html, par624 looks particularly nice with the more decorative rolled silver cap. On the cheap side of things there are some good looking, albeit more plain ones, like par614 going for a lot less.

Master
    Prices on penhome look to be on the high side of things. There are quite a few on here http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/parker/parker.html, par624 looks particularly nice with the more decorative rolled silver cap. On the cheap side of things there are some good looking, albeit more plain ones, like par614 going for a lot less.
    TZ-UK, FP Geeks AND FPN can't all be wrong! If all say Parker 51 is the greatest pen ever made will bow to their collective wisdom.
    Thanks for the info, have emailed them for details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PollandAkuma View Post
    Not the vintage economy ones :D I love the old designs.
    They released a beautiful re-edition of their old 1910s hard rubber pens and have to say I was, and now that I think about it still am, very tempted by the coral red version.

They released a beautiful re-edition of their old 1910s hard rubber pens and have to say I was, and now that I think about it still am, very tempted by the coral red version.

They're pricey but very nice.

I bought my wife the rollerball Rouge et Noir coral re-edition for Christmas.

The detail on the fountain pen nib was lovely, but in the end she was more likely to get on with the rollerball in day-to-day use.

There was a 20% Black Friday discount at Selfridges too, which was nice.

Master
    TZ-UK, FP Geeks AND FPN can't all be wrong! If all say Parker 51 is the greatest pen ever made will bow to their collective wisdom.
    I read the same great things but Parker 51 just doesn't float my boat either. But if we were talking a pretty Duofold or Vacumatic that would be a different story :)

Master
    http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/misc/misc034-html.html looks more up your street 72bmp, a bit of bling....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    +1 for Pelikan M800.

I have a couple of them in different colours. I have other brands, but my M800s have been my daily writers for 20 years. They have easily swappable screw in nib units. I use the same favorite custom grinded nib in them all. They are rugged, dependable, don't blot, don't dry out and hold a large amount of ink.

If the M800 is too big, check out the M200 which is smaller - and more affordable. Also great quality and great writers.

Master
    http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/misc/misc034-html.html looks more up your street 72bmp, a bit of bling....
    Not blingy enough! Penamie has got back to me, £69 posted. Sound like a good deal. I know I'll regret it, decided will sleep over it.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 1st January 2017 at 20:08.

Apprentice
    Goddamnit, both pens that I got off ebay need restoration... Why is the montblanc nib not writing and why is the duofold button not working...

Master
    Thanks! Paid for Par614 this AM. It was the fine nib that made me choose the 614 over 624!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PollandAkuma View Post
    Goddamnit, both pens that I got off ebay need restoration... Why is the montblanc nib not writing and why is the duofold button not working...
    This is what puts me off buying vintage off Ebay...think I will wait and visit a pen show before dipping my toe in that water.

benwoodroffe
    Do people like the lamy 2000 fountain pen?

I tried it breifly once and seemed lovely, but, was put off by the not insignificant price.

Master
    This is what puts me off buying vintage off Ebay...think I will wait and visit a pen show before dipping my toe in that water.
    On FPN & FP Geeks they talk about pen shows as very common. I suppose their membership is predominantly US based but still...
    In the UK have not heard of (m)any. In Scotland pickings are even drier!

Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post

I tried it breifly once and seemed lovely, but, was put off by the not insignificant price.
    The Lamy 2000 is one of my favourite fountain pens. It's a design classic that's been unchanged for 50 years.

Master

A great pen, I got one last year as everyone said try one and I was blown away. Lovely smooth medium gold nib that writes quite wet. Keep an eye out on WHsmiths website I picked one up for £94.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing north of the border I'm afraid I think Yorkshire is about as far north as they go :(

benwoodroffe
    Keep an eye out on WHsmiths website I picked one up for £94.
    Excellent certainly will do! £94? would be happy with picking up for that. Thanks for tip!
    Last edited by benwoodroffe; 2nd January 2017 at 20:34.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    The Lamy 2000 is one of my favourite fountain pens. It's a design classic that's been unchanged for 50 years.
    Great thank you

Thanks! Paid for Par614 this AM. It was the fine nib that made me choose the 614 over 624!
    Hope you enjoy it

On FPN & FP Geeks they talk about pen shows as very common. I suppose their membership is predominantly US based but still...
    This is getting into dangerous territory now as entering a hall full of stationary aficionados with thousands of pretty pens may tempt you to empty your wallet quickly and severely dent any savings for a new watch. For those tempted to splash some cash on pens, or just have gander, there are a number of pen shows held through the UK http://www.ukpenshows.co.uk/show-locations/, with the London Pen Show being the largest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by This is getting into dangerous territory now as entering a hall full of stationary aficionados with thousands of pretty pens may tempt you to empty your wallet quickly and severely dent any savings for a new watch. For those tempted to splash some cash on pens, or just have gander, there are a number of pen shows held through the UK [URL
    http://www.ukpenshows.co.uk/show-locations/[/URL], with the London Pen Show being the largest.
    Thanks for the informations. TBH I had heard of the London show, on FPN. Having worked in Blackpool wouldn't have associated Blackpool with a pen show I suppose Lytham is different! Typical! All shows in England nothing in Scotland! I do have a few friends in Cambridge who may be happy to see me in the summer.

Master
    Excellent certainly will do! £94? would be happy with picking up for that. Thanks for tip!
    Currently 'out of stock'. Imagine that! Someone on a pen thread got one for £84

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I'll put in another plug for The Pen Addict podcast. It's been going for 237 episodes so far and is an excellent listen for anyone interested in pens. They also have a great Slack channel which is free to join.

Master

It's Here!

Proud owner of a Parker 51 with fine nib!!

[/URL]

Nib definitely broader than my Pilots. A quick writing sample. How to get rid of the blue ink - is just keep filling and then emptying the reservoir with water till it runs clean? Is there any easier method? Detailed report to follow.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 4th January 2017 at 14:24.

Proud owner of a Parker 51 with fine nib!!

Nice pen. Mine is the same colour. Just flush the pen with cold water. Then fill a container with water, submerge the nib and pump water in and out.

Alternatively - it's possible to disassemble the pen - clean it and reassemble it. There are videos online.

FYI, the fine nibs are nice but the medium nibs are at a premium at the moment and often sell for a lot on their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Nice pen. Mine is the same colour. Just flush the pen with cold water. Then fill a container with water, submerge the nib and pump water in and out.

Alternatively - it's possible to disassemble the pen - clean it and reassemble it. There are videos online.

FYI, the fine nibs are nice but the medium nibs are at a premium at the moment and often sell for a lot on their own.
    Thanks! I was afraid of that, have done it now, flushed it multiple times and left it nib down in an empty glass with tissue paper at the bottom to drain the ink remnants for an hour or so. Planning to repeat the process till it is clear. Still getting a a drop of blue ink after 4 rounds! Watched a few videos on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble a P51. I don't think I have the expertise or the gut to do it ( afraid of damaging the pen) Had emailed the seller asking about the vintage of the pen no answer! Can anyone hazard a guess? According to Wikipedia P 51 was last produced in 1972, is this correct?

Since I think you have talked about them on here - what rollerball - would people recommend between say £100-£200?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Since I think you have talked about them on here - what rollerball - would people recommend between say £100-£200?
    ROLLER BALL! BURN THE HERETIC! KILL!

Craftsman
    ROLLER BALL! BURN THE HERETIC! KILL!
    I am quite glad you said this as I wanted to ask, given the bit you write with is disposable, why one would spend big on a rollerball. But I was afraid to ask

It's a site where people spend thousands on quartz watches - I'd simply like a nicer looking and feeling pen for the office. I'm a leftie and have never got on with fountain. If over £100 is a big much - what is a good one sub £100?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's a site where people spend thousands on quartz watches - I'd simply like a nicer looking and feeling pen for the office. I'm a leftie and have never got on with fountain. If over £100 is a big much - what is a good one sub £100?
    Sure. I understand. Nice case and ergonomics....