closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Sorted, need the Bock housing and feed not the kit compatible. Took the pen apart and compared the two - looks like Bock.
    Where are you ordering from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Where are you ordering from?
    Haven't decided yet to be honest. More importantly, do I really need/want one?
    I have the pen with EF nib that suits me fine (I think). At the very most I'll order a fine nib, can use it both with
    my Jinhao and Namisu. Will keep me busy!
    If I decide to order it will be from http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bocknibs.html

Master

Woo Hoo!

This arrived today!

Absolutely beautiful pen! Only one problem, I thought I'd ordered this https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...ushi-lacquer-1! What I've got is this, https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/product...te-gold-plated I think!
    It is almost an inch longer then my Shu Nurippanashi!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 2nd March 2017 at 22:54.

Master
    Nice pen :) Difficult to spot the difference between the two...is it just the thread?

Master
    Nice pen :) Difficult to spot the difference between the two...is it just the thread?
    Thread and total length, the one I wanted is 2 cm shorter. Checked my emails and for once it seems I'm right! I have emailed Iguanasell, let's see!

Master
    Thread and total length, the one I wanted is 2 cm shorter. Checked my emails and for once it seems I'm right! I have emailed Iguanasell, let's see!
    Apparently I'm right. They've sent me the Aka tamenuri writer long instead of the writer. So disappointed, I'll have to return it. They have no stock in rhodium trim.
    Must say it is very shiny!!

Master
    Apparently I'm right. They've sent me the Aka tamenuri writer long instead of the writer. So disappointed, I'll have to return it. They have no stock in rhodium trim.
    Must say it is very shiny!!
    :( that is sad...aren't you tempted to keep it?

Master
    :( that is sad...aren't you tempted to keep it?
    No. Too big, won't fit in my pen case. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful pen, absolutely stunning. But, the portable is the one I want, don't know, it feels right. I hope it is as shiny as the Long Aka Tamenuri!

Master
    No. Too big, won't fit in my pen case. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful pen, absolutely stunning. But, the portable is the one I want, don't know, it feels right. I hope it is as shiny as the Long Aka Tamenuri!
    I have long followed the principle of get exactly what you want and don't compromise because you will always be after your original desire.

I'm in the same boat (nowhere near the same scale!) wanting an orange Faber Castell Ondoro, I know where there is a cheap black one but I know if I buy it I'll still want the orange one! Short term economics is the reason I have two Visconti Salvador Dali's wanted the blue, couldn't find s/h one bought brown one and then bought a blue one anyhow....nuts!

Master
    I have long followed the principle of get exactly what you want and don't compromise because you will always be after your original desire.

I'm in the same boat (nowhere near the same scale!) wanting an orange Faber Castell Ondoro, I know where there is a cheap black one but I know if I buy it I'll still want the orange one! Short term economics is the reason I have two Visconti Salvador Dali's wanted the blue, couldn't find s/h one bought brown one and then bought a blue one anyhow....nuts!
    Absolutely! I'm paying my hard earned money for this and nothing short of 100% is good enough. If it were a gift that's a totally different matter. I'm slightly OCD which doesn't help.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The ink cost more than these three pens put together !

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    The ink cost more than these three pens put together !

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Thats funny...

Blog Entries
    Anyone got any ideas for a case for cartridges?

I've just got mine in the original boxes,

- but would be nice to have them in a case as I travel a lot for work.

The only one I've seen so far is a $50 import from Japan.

Has anyone found other options ?

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Anyone got any ideas for a case for cartridges?

I've just got mine in the original boxes,

- but would be nice to have them in a case as I travel a lot for work.

The only one I've seen so far is a $50 import from Japan.

Has anyone found other options ?

z
    I've got one of these:http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/KW15944/...idge-dispenser

Master

Don't look now!

But there is a Pilot M90 on SC....wow http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...0-Fountain-Pen

Master

Who bought me this!

This arrived 2 weeks back.

Mighty fine looking pen I must say the slip & seal does seem to work. Inked it on arrival and used it fora day & rested it, used it again after a 2 week hiatus and it started writing immediately without any evidence of drying!
    How long can I leave a pen before the ink starts to dry up?
    Last edited by 72bpm; 30th March 2017 at 12:02.

So my Jinhao 159 arrived a while back but I only got round to using it this week when some new inks arrived. The converter absolutely refuses to suck any ink up at all, so I tried the one that came with my x750 - again, refuses to suck anything up. I assume there's some sort of defect, so I pop a cartridge in and it works absolutely fine. Switch back to the converter and fill it with a syringe, no seal problems or leaks. Anyone else's 159 doing this?

Master

Just thought people may like to know!

Master
    This arrived 2 weeks back.

Mighty fine looking pen I must say the slip & seal does seem to work. Inked it on arrival and used it fora day & rested it, used it again after a 2 week hiatus and it started writing immediately without any evidence of drying!
    How long can I leave a pen before the ink starts to dry up?
    12 months apparently....great pen (I have 2!)

I have broken my no pens for lent and a Faber Castell Ondoro Orange arrived today and a Twsbi Eco Lime due tomorrow....

Master
    12 months apparently....great pen (I have 2!)

I have broken my no pens for lent and a Faber Castell Ondoro Orange arrived today and a Twsbi Eco Lime due tomorrow....
    Not the 3776, I meant how long ( on an average) can I leave any pen before I have issues with drying.
    I too broke my no pen before the Nakaya promise, this one and a Pilot Sterling Dragon (on it's way for America)!

Master
    Not the 3776, I meant how long ( on an average) can I leave any pen before I have issues with drying.
    I too broke my no pen before the Nakaya promise, this one and a Pilot Sterling Dragon (on it's way for America)!
    Varies from pen to pen my Safari's never seem to dry out, Jinhao seem to last a couple of days.

Just opened my pen case after two weeks of inactivity - Lamy 2000, Twsbi 580, Visconti Salvador Dali, 3776, Waterman Carene all ok no problems, Twiss Custom with 1.1 JOWO Stub is a no go :(

Master
    But did it use Diamine ink which is made in Merseyside?

Master
    Varies from pen to pen my Safari's never seem to dry out, Jinhao seem to last a couple of days.

Just opened my pen case after two weeks of inactivity - Lamy 2000, Twsbi 580, Visconti Salvador Dali, 3776, Waterman Carene all ok no problems, Twiss Custom with 1.1 JOWO Stub is a no go :(
    Your handwriting must be nice, you may even "know" cursive" to use broad nibs!

Master
    Your handwriting must be nice, you may even "know" cursive" to use broad nibs!
    The stub makes it look much better than it is!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    But did it use Diamine ink which is made in Merseyside?
    Good point, who's making a FOI request?

It's all about vintage! Finally got round to taking a picture of my main collection. Doesn't have a few others I have lying around and those in rotation at the moment. I'll save the inks and accessorises for another day. One day I'll get it all lined up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post
    It's all about vintage! Finally got round to taking a picture of my main collection. Doesn't have a few others I have lying around and those in rotation at the moment. I'll save the inks and accessorises for another day. One day I'll get it all lined up.

Nice ripples :)

Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post

Very nice collection....

Apprentice

Bought a Traveller's Notebook yesterday. Now I have two... But these are really addictive. The regular one it just a bit too inconvenient to carry around though. And I really need to get a VP Decimo at some point... Any news on the 2017 VP LE?

Master
    Notebooks now there is another addiction I have - have midori's in both sizes, Rhodia, Rhoda Webbie, Leuchturm, Field Notes, Black 'n' Red, Filofax you name it I've probably got one! Current favourite is Arc from Staples - bit of a poor mans Atoma but I like it as pages are movable and removable!

Blog Entries
    Notebooks now there is another addiction I have - have midori's in both sizes, Rhodia, Rhoda Webbie, Leuchturm, Field Notes, Black 'n' Red, Filofax you name it I've probably got one! Current favourite is Arc from Staples - bit of a poor mans Atoma but I like it as pages are movable and removable!
    Try Ciak notebooks

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Try Ciak notebooks

z
    You are bad! Thy come in such pretty colours....

Apprentice
    You might want to check out William Hannah notebook if you have time/money... they are really nice atoma-style notebooks made with leather and suede

Apprentice
    WHO LIKE TOMOE RIVER?

(everyone)

Hippo Noto, Nanami Seven Seas, Hobonichi...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PollandAkuma View Post
    You might want to check out William Hannah notebook if you have time/money... they are really nice atoma-style notebooks made with leather and suede
    Yes I have pondered William Hannah for many hours, yes they are beautifully made but at £99 its alot of money. Also having seen one in the flesh the thing I'm not so keen on is the cover is soft and quite floppy. I like a stiff cover as I spend alot of time in meetings and often need to perch a notebook on my knee.

HAving said all that will probably end up with a WH :)

Master
    Oh No! I'm not falling for that. Watches and pens are bad enough. I'll be fine with 10 gsm NHS (toilet) paper. All I do at work is make paper planes anyway!

Apprentice
    Yes I have pondered William Hannah for many hours, yes they are beautifully made but at £99 its alot of money. Also having seen one in the flesh the thing I'm not so keen on is the cover is soft and quite floppy. I like a stiff cover as I spend alot of time in meetings and often need to perch a notebook on my knee.

HAving said all that will probably end up with a WH :)
    Hahaha... you can't resist. Just ask someone to gift it to you ;)

Some of you may be interested in this:

https://www.namisu.com/collections/f...s/orion-copper

I got one of the Ti versions because I wanted to try the Ti nib. I was very impressed. Comes close to some of the really high end nibs, or vintage gold ones, at least if you like a bit of flex. I got the "medium" and it's actually pretty similar to most fine nibs, but because it is very pressure-sensitive it has a lot of variation up to a decidedly thick medium if you apply a bit of force. It's also extremely smooth. At first the lack of feedback was a bit disconcerting and it was tricky to control, but it's now my favourite everyday writer. It feels a bit like writing with a brush, which I like (not everyone does though).

It's starting to show slightly less reliability than some of my much more expensive pens, but it's better than anything else at similar cost and I suspect it will improve over the course of the next few months as it wears in.

Since I normally use an extra-fine nib, I've decided to order the Ti XF in the copper. I have no idea if it will be as good as the M: a lot of cheaper nibs do not work well in finer sizes because they don't feed enough ink and tend to skip. Looks good anyway, so hopefully it won't be a dissapointment.

Incidentally the build quality, on the Ti version at least, is very good. It feels weighty, well-balanced and generally like a quality item. The threads are a tad rattly, but Ti is a very tricky material and I understand the trade-off they've made here, it's actually very good for Ti. Ti has a tendency to form spontaneous welds on touching surfaces, so screw threads can never be 100% perfect. Copper is a lot softer so I would imagine this one will have a slightly nicer feel to it. The only real negative is the lack of any anti-roll features means it tends to roll around the desk a lot. But I'm prepared to live with that rather than compromise the design. It also lacks good support for posting (cap on end) but that's a minor niggle, especially as it's well balanced either way.

Anyone looking for their first good fountain pen could do a lot worse than one of these with the Medium Ti nib.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

I got one of the Ti versions because I wanted to try the Ti nib. I was very impressed. Comes close to some of the really high end nibs, or vintage gold ones, at least if you like a bit of flex. I got the "medium" and it's actually pretty similar to most fine nibs, but because it is very pressure-sensitive it has a lot of variation up to a decidedly thick medium if you apply a bit of force. It's also extremely smooth. At first the lack of feedback was a bit disconcerting and it was tricky to control, but it's now my favourite everyday writer. It feels a bit like writing with a brush, which I like (not everyone does though).

It's starting to show slightly less reliability than some of my much more expensive pens, but it's better than anything else at similar cost and I suspect it will improve over the course of the next few months as it wears in.

Since I normally use an extra-fine nib, I've decided to order the Ti XF in the copper. I have no idea if it will be as good as the M: a lot of cheaper nibs do not work well in finer sizes because they don't feed enough ink and tend to skip. Looks good anyway, so hopefully it won't be a dissapointment.

Incidentally the build quality, on the Ti version at least, is very good. It feels weighty, well-balanced and generally like a quality item. The threads are a tad rattly, but Ti is a very tricky material and I understand the trade-off they've made here, it's actually very good for Ti. Ti has a tendency to form spontaneous welds on touching surfaces, so screw threads can never be 100% perfect. Copper is a lot softer so I would imagine this one will have a slightly nicer feel to it. The only real negative is the lack of any anti-roll features means it tends to roll around the desk a lot. But I'm prepared to live with that rather than compromise the design. It also lacks good support for posting (cap on end) but that's a minor niggle, especially as it's well balanced either way.

Anyone looking for their first good fountain pen could do a lot worse than one of these with the Medium Ti nib.
    Like the look of their ebonite model, not too expensive either

Master

Have the Ti one. Was thinking about getting this https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/KA46413...e-fountain-pen
    Looks nice, I understand copper tarnishes very easily. Not decided yet!

Master
    Have the Ti one. Was thinking about getting this https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/KA46413...e-fountain-pen
    Looks nice, I understand copper tarnishes very easily. Not decided yet!
    You'll be spending all your time polishing it!

My copper Retro51 is starting to tarnish nicely but it makes my hands smell not so nice

My copper Retro51 is starting to tarnish nicely but it makes my hands smell not so nice
    Yeah, I've got some experience with copper. Slightly concerned about this, but I much prefer it to brass. I find pure copper doesn't feel or smell as bad. I'd prefer bronze, but can't have everything (though maybe they'll do that next).

Master

Yeah, I've got some experience with copper. Slightly concerned about this, but I much prefer it to brass. I find pure copper doesn't feel or smell as bad. I'd prefer bronze, but can't have everything (though maybe they'll do that next).
    Thanks you two! You are putting me off buying a copper pen. I don't mind polishing, it is the smell that I'm worried about. I used to have old Indian copper coins which i used to polish with brasso! I used to love the smell, what does copper "smell" like? Is it really offensive?

Thanks you two! You are putting me off buying a copper pen. I don't mind polishing, it is the smell that I'm worried about. I used to have old Indian copper coins which i used to polish with brasso! I used to love the smell, what does copper "smell" like? Is it really offensive?
    Well, if the coins were copper then exactly like that. Quite hard to describe otherwise. I don't find pure copper offensive personally, it's brass I'm not so keen on.

Master
    Well, if the coins were copper then exactly like that. Quite hard to describe otherwise. I don't find pure copper offensive personally, it's brass I'm not so keen on.
    This was many many moons ago. Not sure if the smell I remember is brasso or copper!
    Only one way to find out.......

This was many many moons ago. Not sure if the smell I remember is brasso or copper!
    Only one way to find out.......
    You can always polish it with Brasso, just to be sure :)

Master

Then there were two

My Pilot Sterling Dragon arrived. From Fahrney's Pens USofA. Despite the VAT still worked out cheaper.
    Cr***y iPhone shot.[IMG][/IMG]
    New one-Dragon on the left and the older one-Mt Fuji and Wave on the right.

Master
    Very nice!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Lovely.......