closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Craftsman

Intro to Fountain Pens

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's a site where people spend thousands on quartz watches - I'd simply like a nicer looking and feeling pen for the office. I'm a leftie and have never got on with fountain. If over £100 is a big much - what is a good one sub £100?
    How about a pelikan Streismann 805 rollerball.

Penworld.eu have these at a great price.

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net...hracite_P1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It's a site where people spend thousands on quartz watches - I'd simply like a nicer looking and feeling pen for the office. I'm a leftie and have never got on with fountain. If over £100 is a big much - what is a good one sub £100?
    Fair point on being a leftie. Who on this site spends thousands on quartz watches
    Burn the heretic!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Fair point on being a leftie. Who on this site spends thousands on quartz watches
    Burn the heretic!
    Grand seiko quartz diver....yum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Grand seiko quartz diver....yum
    Ah! Forgot about that, but it doesn't cost thousands. Also forgot the vintage Omega, Rolex quartz etc etc.
    Careful this might become a watch thread!!

I bought my Father a Lamy 2000 rollerball for Christmas. It cost £55 from Cult Pens. I don't think you could get a better rollerball than it.

Craftsman
    I agree with the suggestions to try them first and foremost. I'm left handed, but can't get on with those weird southpaw nibs. I tried lots of different pens over a period of time - Lamy and Parker I found to be OK. Try as I might cannot write with Montblanc, all scratchy and just horrible. My favourite of all time is my Pelikan M620, a brand I'd never have thought of, until trying it. Smooth, great ink flow and a pleasure to use.

Master

Decisions Decisions!

The Writer Portable Shu-Nurippanashi, Urushi Lacquer. Also had the Writer Kuro Tanemuri in mind but have too many black pens! Thanks for asking.
    Changed my mind! Changed the order to NakayaWriter Aka Tamenuri Urushi Lacquer.
    My "logic" is I'll be getting the Namiki Urushi No 20 anyway so don't want 2 red pens!

Master
    Changed my mind! Changed the order to NakayaWriter Aka Tamenuri Urushi Lacquer.
    My "logic" is I'll be getting the Namiki Urushi No 20 anyway so don't want 2 red pens!
    Nice problem to have :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Nice problem to have :)
    Actually, a bit worse than that though.I've just been informed by UPS my Namiki Nippon Art Mt Fuji arrives arrives tomorrow.!!
    Very excited, looming forward to it!
    What is worse I've told them I take both! The Shu Nurappanashi AND the Nakaya Portable writer Are Tamenuri
    The initial idea wast cancel the Shu Nuprppnashi and order the Akae Tamaenuri. The reason was I thought I'll be getting the Vermillion with the No 20 nib at some point. Looking at both of them I realised I liked both so deposit sent today! Last email one of them might arrive as soon as by February! Very chuffed (till I thought about explaining to SWMBO)
    Last edited by 72bpm; 10th January 2017 at 22:51.

Master
    Actually, a bit worse than that though.I've just been informed by UPS my Namiki Nippon Art Mt Fuji arrives arrives tomorrow.!!
    Very excited, looming forward to it!
    What is worse I've told them I take both! The Shu Nurappanashi AND the Nakaya Portable writer Are Tamenuri
    The initial idea wast cancel the Shu Nuprppnashi and order the Akae Tamaenuri. The reason was I thought I'll be getting the Vermillion with the No 20 nib at some point. Looking at both of them I realised I liked both so deposit sent today! Last email one of them might arrive as soon as by February! Very chuffed (till I thought about explaining to SWMBO)
    Its only3 pens :)

Master
    Its only3 pens :)
    Will have to do a few extra shift to pay for this!
    Update this AM, will take longer as I changed my mind again to a Aka Tamenuri long!
    Eagerly awaiting the UPS guy!!

Apprentice
    Lucky lucky people...

Master

IT'S HERE!!!!!

My Namiki Nippon art Mt Fuji arrived today.
    What a pretty looking (if excessive) box! The pen as a whole oozes quality. The palpable "painting" the smooth finish is really nice.
    It is also very shiny more than my Montblanc! It's got a CON 70 converter. Can I use any pilot cartridge? I don't like using converters!
    Planning on using Pilot cartridge ink, Iroshizuku black Take-sumi, then maybe diamine. [IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 72bpm; 11th January 2017 at 16:30.

Master
    Beautiful...enjoy.

Do give bottled ink and the converter a whirl, the palette of colours is so much wider than cartridges.

I like Iroshizuku inks but they're a bit on the pricey side, so my go to is Diamine and I have avout 30 different shades.

Master
    Beautiful...enjoy.

Do give bottled ink and the converter a whirl, the palette of colours is so much wider than cartridges.

I like Iroshizuku inks but they're a bit on the pricey side, so my go to is Diamine and I have avout 30 different shades.
    Thanks! Absolutely love the look of the pen. "Noisy" to write with, if that makes sense. I guess will settle with time
    My plan is to use a few Pilot/Namiki cartridges first, clean them out and then try the other inks Yes! I'm skint, hey I've GOT to tighten my belt to pay for my Nakaya! At work use of colours other than black brings out the NHS jobsworths out of the woodwork. So using other colours is not an option. Have a bottle of Iroshizuku black and 2 small 30 ml bottles of Diamine -jet black and onyx black. I personally feel Diamine is "wetter" than Iroshizuku. My using F or EF nib may have something to do with it, I don't know.

Craftsman
    Okay as this is an introduction to Fountain pens, I want to ask a dumb question.

Partly due to this thread, I have bought myself a marvellous pilot vanishing point fine. The pen is everything I'd hoped for. It perfectly replicates the feeling of writing with the V5 extra fine pilot fibre tip.

I bought a pilot Con 40 converter to go with the vanishing point. When I fill the converter, do I take the nib unit off and just fill the converter on its own, or do I keep the nib on and then fill the convertor through the nib unit.

I tried the latter and it didn't work well at all. I tried the former and though it worked it was extremely messy. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome!

Master
    Thanks! Absolutely love the look of the pen. "Noisy" to write with, if that makes sense. I guess will settle with time
    My plan is to use a few Pilot/Namiki cartridges first, clean them out and then try the other inks Yes! I'm skint, hey I've GOT to tighten my belt to pay for my Nakaya! At work use of colours other than black brings out the NHS jobsworths out of the woodwork. So using other colours is not an option. Have a bottle of Iroshizuku black and 2 small 30 ml bottles of Diamine -jet black and onyx black. I personally feel Diamine is "wetter" than Iroshizuku. My using F or EF nib may have something to do with it, I don't know.
    Shame about the "work" colours I'm super lucky as I work in marketing so coloured pens are expected! If you fancy trying Aurora Black drop me a PM and I'll send you a sample, its one of the few blackish inks I have - Graphite and Eclipse are the other two.

Master
    Okay as this is an introduction to Fountain pens, I want to ask a dumb question.

Partly due to this thread, I have bought myself a marvellous pilot vanishing point fine. The pen is everything I'd hoped for. It perfectly replicates the feeling of writing with the V5 extra fine pilot fibre tip.

I bought a pilot Con 40 converter to go with the vanishing point. When I fill the converter, do I take the nib unit off and just fill the converter on its own, or do I keep the nib on and then fill the convertor through the nib unit.

I tried the latter and it didn't work well at all. I tried the former and though it worked it was extremely messy. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome!

Leaking seems to be an issue with the VP as per this video at 03:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDBYXuQ0LA
    Take the nib unit off stick the converter in the ink bottle and fill, wipe the extra ink dry and insert gently but securely.

Denizens chip in please!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 11th January 2017 at 22:54.

Master
    Leaking seems to be an issue with the VP as per this video at 03:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDBYXuQ0LA
    Take the nib unit off stick the converter in the ink bottle and fill, wipe the extra ink dry and insert gently but securely.

Denizens chip in please!
    I've not had a problem with leaking with my VP.

I generally as a rule always fill the converter straight from the bottle. Takes a bit longer to get the ink flowing through the feed but you don't get ink all over your grip section.

Visconti have lovely ones the ink is quite beautiful like their fountain pens. Other than that I think Cross pens are very nice much better than the more common/popular Parker etc

Craftsman
    I've not had a problem with leaking with my VP.

I generally as a rule always fill the converter straight from the bottle. Takes a bit longer to get the ink flowing through the feed but you don't get ink all over your grip section.
    Cool. I will go for straight from the bottle plus rubber gloves. Thank you.

Master
    Shame about the "work" colours I'm super lucky as I work in marketing so coloured pens are expected! If you fancy trying Aurora Black drop me a PM and I'll send you a sample, its one of the few blackish inks I have - Graphite and Eclipse are the other two.
    LuBee, thanks for your offer. Having read up on the Aurora would love to try it. Apparently it the blackest ink! PM sent!

Journeyman
    I've been writing more since buying a fountain pen six months ago. My pen is the dead cheap Jinhao 599 and I am using Parker Quink ink. I don't feel the need of upgrading to a fancy pen yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    I've been writing more since buying a fountain pen six months ago. My pen is the dead cheap Jinhao 599 and I am using Parker Quink ink. I don't feel the need of upgrading to a fancy pen yet.
    You will! There is never a need, only a want!

Apprentice
    I think Lamy Safaris are pretty rad. If you want sophistication vintage pens are the best!

Master

Penamie

I've been following this thread even though I no longer own any fountain pens. Mind you, I am thinking about a Parker 51 as a one and only fountain pen. I think someone previously mentioned Penamie and so I checked out the website. I spotted a rather nice looking Yard-O-Led ballpoint pen in the under £50 section and so I placed the order on Monday morning. It has just arrived and I have to say I am very pleased with it. It satisfies my preference for vintage over modern and is something I'll be able to use at work each day.

I should also say that the site owner (Brian Toynton) posted it out on the promise that my cheque was in the post, even though it's my first purchase from him. I'm certain that I'll acquire a few more pens from him in due course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    My pen is the dead cheap Jinhao 599 and I am using Parker Quink ink. I don't feel the need of upgrading to a fancy pen yet.
    It will happen!

This forum got me restarted on fountain pens - bought a TWSBI Classic and that morphed into multiple TWSBI, Visconti, Pilot, Waterman, Sheaffer, Pelikan, Lamy, Platinum, Sailor and Twiss Custom.

This place is bad!

Master
    It will happen!

This forum got me restarted on fountain pens - bought a TWSBI Classic and that morphed into multiple TWSBI, Visconti, Pilot, Waterman, Sheaffer, Pelikan, Lamy, Platinum, Sailor and Twiss Custom.

This place is bad!
    LuBee, leave captain_hx alone. He WILL be drawn to the dark side!
    As you said this site is a great enabler!
    Once that happens we can smugly say "We told you so"
    Last edited by 72bpm; 31st January 2017 at 00:44.

Apprentice

Master
    LuBee, leave captain_hx alone. He WILL be drawn to the dark side!
    As you said this site is a great enabler!
    Once that happens we can smugly say "I told you so"
    You are the biggest enabler of them all Mr Fancy Pants Nakaya!

Master
    You are the biggest enabler of them all Mr Fancy Pants Nakaya!
    I put a spoon of butter in my mouth - It didn't melt!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Burn the heretic!
    My Breitling B-1
    or my old Emergency Mission

Anyway, back on topic...

My Platinum #3776 is probably my favourite pen to write with... along with some lovely J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey with gold flecks
    Last edited by amnesia; 13th January 2017 at 10:18.

after being enabled on TSR, i have recently ordered a Noodlers Ahab, with a flex nib, and a bottle of Monkey Hanger blue ink. hope it arrives soon. apart from that i have a few others, 2x cult pens pocket FP, Sailor Sapporo, 2x lamy safari with about 4 different nibs, cross century 2, twbsi 530 demonstrator and a loclen tiny in brass.i also have a rotring 2mm pencil and a waterman biro. i can't remember the last time i used the biro.

atb
    steve

Master

First outing with my Namiki Nippon Art

First day at work with my Namiki. I have been using it at home as mentioned before. Great looking pen, not that anyone noticed!
    Smooth writer but scratchy - not much resistance while writing but I can hear it moving on the paper. I am hoping it will settle down with time. To compare, my Pilot VP took about a day to settle in and is one of the smoothest pen in my collection. Most surprised by the fact it didn't bleed on NHS paper. Don't know if it is because of the fine nib or the ink. Definitely not the paper!

Master
    As a long time fountain pen user I can confirm that some of the Japanese nibs are noisier than European or US nibs. This is normally classed as a feature and people move on. Any "scratchiness" however is probably due to a misalignment of the nib tines, simple enough to cure with care and a magnifying glass so you can see what you're doing - don't progress to using abrasives until you know what you are doing!

THIS is a useful guide from probably the best-known nibmaster >>> http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

For clean pen filling, even using removable piston fillers (aka "converters"), I would recommend getting a plastic syringe and blunt hypodermic needles which make the process clean and enjoyable. At the same time, look on Amazon for a rubber ear-syringe - extremely useful for flushing out the pen and when you want to change ink colour.

Journeyman
    Just ordered another Jinhao and had a look locally to see if l can find an entry lever fp for about 50 euros. I've been to 3 bookshops and they only had Parkers. I will visit a couple more shops that I have in mind but l am not too optimistic about finding what I am looking for. I think Cyprus is a very small market for pens so l will be also looking online. This place is full of enablers :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    As a long time fountain pen user I can confirm that some of the Japanese nibs are noisier than European or US nibs. This is normally classed as a feature and people move on. Any "scratchiness" however is probably due to a misalignment of the nib tines, simple enough to cure with care and a magnifying glass so you can see what you're doing - don't progress to using abrasives until you know what you are doing!

THIS is a useful guide from probably the best-known nibmaster >>> http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

For clean pen filling, even using removable piston fillers (aka "converters"), I would recommend getting a plastic syringe and blunt hypodermic needles which make the process clean and enjoyable. At the same time, look on Amazon for a rubber ear-syringe - extremely useful for flushing out the pen and when you want to change ink colour.
    Noisy was what I meant rather than scratchy. I would have thought Namiki will inspect their nibs before installing them. Had a look under a 30 X loupe couldn't see any misalignment!
    Thanks for the link, downloaded and saved! I will NEVER have the guts to fool around with a nib, no sir! If anything goes wrong off to a professional it goes.
    Have glass syringes and blunt 16G needles to fill the pens up. If the nib is user removable then it gets removed and cleaned before changing ink, if not then I pressure wash it with a 50 ml syringe attached to a 16G needle a few times and let it rest nib down in a narrow container lined with blotting paper ( kitchen towel) for a few hours and repeat the process till it runs clean. Yes I have too much time on my hands!

Craftsman
    PSA: WHSmith have the Lamy 2000 back in stock here:

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/pws/Produc...uctID=35315971

However, I would recommend spending a little more and buying it from smaller retailer who is willing to test the nib before sending it. I bought mine earlier this month from here:

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk

A fantastic personal service and entirely worry free (no affiliation).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've just read through this from the beginning and I now NEED a Pilot Capless / VP to go with my other pens.

Question is... what version ?

http://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/p...-fountain-pens

Anyone know of a 2017 LE version yet ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I've just read through this from the beginning and I now NEED a Pilot Capless / VP to go with my other pens.

IMO There are quite few pens in the 130 - 169 range, I chose the Red with rhodium trim (£149) because I didn't have a red pen!
    I quite like the Raden but can't buy it right now (SWMBO will kill me)! 378 -149=229 you can buy a nice Sailor 1911L for the same money and have 2 nice pens!! Save a bit more and get this https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...hst=collection
    I didn't know there was a 2017 LE. I personally am not too keen on limited editions to be honest, most seem to be marketing gimmicks.

Craftsman
    IMO There are quite few pens in the 130 - 169 range, I chose the Red with rhodium trim (£149) because I didn't have a red pen!
    I quite like the Raden but can't buy it right now (SWMBO will kill me)! 378 -149=229 you can buy a nice Sailor 1911L for the same money and have 2 nice pens!! Save a bit more and get this https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/collect...hst=collection
    I didn't know there was a 2017 LE. I personally am not too keen on limited editions to be honest, most seem to be marketing gimmicks.
    I got a yellow fine one directly from Japan via eBay. Love it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post

i have a yellow and rhodium and love it. I'm looking for 2004 Vibrant Red LE, current red is a bit more maroon and not my cuppa...2017 LE hasnt been announced as far as Im aware.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post

However, I would recommend spending a little more and buying it from smaller retailer who is willing to test the nib before sending it. I bought mine earlier this month from here:

I wish it was fine nib..........
    This is one of the brands I don't have. Shhhhh! Don't let SWMBO know!

I love my Stormtrooper Vanishing Point/Capless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post

Leaving the lack of nib choice aside, is there much of a risk of getting one with a less than perfect nib? While http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk is indeed excellent (and I believe the owner is a member here), £100 vs £150 does tempt me as I’d like to have one of these (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Same here. In the spirit of watches I call it panda coloured, but really I bought it because it looked like a storm trooper, especially with the high gloss white.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Raden is gorgeous, but I might lose it if I put it on the kitchen worktop.

I got a yellow fine one directly from Japan via eBay. Love it
    i have a yellow and rhodium and love it. I'm looking for 2004 Vibrant Red LE, current red is a bit more maroon and not my cuppa...2017 LE hasnt been announced as far as Im aware.
    The yellow is nice - I am sure there will be a 2017 LE announced 5 minutes after I've received my non-LE version.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    YESSS - black and white looks amazing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Leaving the lack of nib choice aside, is there much of a risk of getting one with a less than perfect nib? While http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk is indeed excellent (and I believe the owner is a member here), £100 vs £150 does tempt me as I’d like to have one of these (again).
    mine from whsmiths was great. there is much detabate about the nibs On th L2k and i was a bit aprehensive but watched the goulet pens video and they have a particular sweet spot and alot of the problems people perceive are down to the way they hold or tilt the pen

£100 is a no brainer on a Lamy 2000. It's my favourite pen and I have many that are much more expensive. It's just the way it feels in the hand, it's wonderful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

going back to my (gasp!) rollerball question - I picked up this Montblanc second hand dirt cheap.