closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Bureau Direct have my favourite ink, Robert Oster Fire and Ice, on offer for £9.95 today. They also have Lamy Safari Petrol fountain pens on offer for £14.95.

Robert Oster Signature Ink - Fire and Ice | Bureau Direct
    Lamy Safari Fountain Pen Special Edition | Bureau Direct
    must resist....must resist......

The Lamy Safari is a great pen. It is the pen I offered my daughter when she had her pen license and she still loves it. Smooth nib (even for a lefty), reasonably childproof (!) and excellent value.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Agree the Lamy Safari is great, and I have several, but they were all bought 10 years+ ago (one some 25 years ago) - are they any different these days?

I keep seeing people going mad for the petrol Safari online - is it just a unique colour? Or is it different in other ways too?

PS Cult pens do it with broad and left handed nibs, but at the full price.

The petrol Safari is this year's limited edition. It is a really good looking dark teal.

Today only 10% off everything over £50 including sale items: https://www.penandpaper.co.uk/pen-paper-summer-sale/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    must resist....must resist......
    How about this one/ https://www.theonlinepencompany.com/...rome-trim.html

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Agree the Lamy Safari is great, and I have several, but they were all bought 10 years+ ago (one some 25 years ago) - are they any different these days?

I keep seeing people going mad for the petrol Safari online - is it just a unique colour? Or is it different in other ways too?

PS Cult pens do it with broad and left handed nibs, but at the full price.
    The Lamy Safari is an increadable pen for the money (£10 from Amazon) Considering other pens that cost a great deal more have problems leaking, drying up this really is like the Vostok or Seiko 009 of fountain pens. I use one as a daily pen for work and it has given me months of problem free use. The only thing I would say is the medium nib is a little broad for me a fine nib much better for daily use.

On a side note amazon have some Conklin fountain pens at the cheapest I have seen anywhere. There are also quite a few steel nib Faber Castell pens on their warehouse deals. I have tried lots of these budget Chinese pens on the net too, horrible things that leak, break etc. A knackered watch is one thing, knackered work you have been writing for hours is another.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    You are a bad person!

Master
    You are a bad person!
    That's lovely isn't it - love red pens.

Master
    It is a very nice pen, my grail pen is a Vivid Red Pilot VP Special Edition 2009.

I got a petrol safari with extra fine nib. I really like the safari and have another.

To be fair, it's the ink colour of the petrol I like, I have to use black at work as I have to write medical notes a fair bit of the time. it's not black, is a really cool colour dark green and nobody else has noticed it is not black. So bonus.

Master
    Another parcel from Cult pens. Oops.

Master
    Another parcel from Cult pens. Oops.
    Bad lad - confess your sins!

Master
    It's not my fault!

Well, they sent me 2 x Kaweco lilliputs (copper and steel, to go with my brass one), a lovely soft leather Kaweco pouch to keep them in and some Rhodia "heritage" style notebooks with the sewn spine...

It's not my fault I say!

Master
    It's not my fault!

Well, they sent me 2 x Kaweco lilliputs (copper and steel, to go with my brass one), a lovely soft leather Kaweco pouch to keep them in and some Rhodia "heritage" style notebooks with the sewn spine...

It's not my fault I say!
    It is never our fault!

I may have bought a Pilot M90 from SC this afternoon! A true grail pen for me.

Master
    I may have bought a Pilot M90 from SC this afternoon! A true grail pen for me.
    Didn't see that, you lucky buggar!

Listening to this week's Pen Addict podcast and have to say I love the new Haleakala Silhouette pen from Kanilea Pen Co.

http://kanileapenco.com/haleakala-si...-fountain-pen/

Master
    Listening to this week's Pen Addict podcast and have to say I love the new Haleakala Silhouette pen from Kanilea Pen Co.

They are really unique :)

My Pilot M90 has arrived. Thanks to John (hammond) for a very smooth transaction. The pen is everything I'd imagined it would be having heard Brad and Myke rave about it on the Pen Addict and reading various reviews. It is compact but very usable when posted (it is almost has to be). The nib is smooth and beautiful and the level of detail on the pen is just right. The engraved M90 and the blue jewel in the finial are the perfect finishing touches.

Master
    My Pilot M90 has arrived.
    Glad it arrived safely Phil. My wife laughed at me when I told her this but I honestly think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of engineering I've ever seen. I just wish I could have justified keeping it. Enjoy.

Master

For me, at this price point, I'd want a higher level of finishing and embellishment.

I do like the colour, but it could just be a colourful cigar tube...

Master
    My Pilot M90 has arrived. Thanks to John (hammond) for a very smooth transaction. The pen is everything I'd imagined it would be having heard Brad and Myke rave about it on the Pen Addict and reading various reviews. It is compact but very usable when posted (it is almost has to be). The nib is smooth and beautiful and the level of detail on the pen is just right. The engraved M90 and the blue jewel in the finial are the perfect finishing touches.

Green with envy......

Master
    For me, at this price point, I'd want a higher level of finishing and embellishment.

Said the king of bling....

Master
    Said the king of bling....

It needs gold... MORE GOLD !

The colour is everything is these pens. The acrylic blanks take a lot of effort to produce. Jonathon Brooks of the Carolina Pen Co produces them for Kanilea who then make the pens. The colours are based on photos around Hawaii. I think that when you look at the pens against the photos, they really captuire the scenes well.

Master
    The colour is everything is these pens. The acrylic blanks take a lot of effort to produce. Jonathon Brooks of the Carolina Pen Co produces them for Kanilea who then make the pens. The colours are based on photos around Hawaii. I think that when you look at the pens against the photos, they really captuire the scenes well.
    Oh yes, I understand that, but still I don't think it's too great. I really love the yellow part, but the rest not so much... and I feel with a lot of custom pens, too much is given to colour and not enough on design, so you typically end up with very colourful but otherwise very plain pens which look like the shaping was an afterthought.

I love colour in my pens, but for me design (shape, finishing, embellishments) come first... I'd take a stylish black pen over a very plain colourful pen any day...

...but all that said, I totally understand why these are popular and as a pen fan, I still wouldn't turn it down - I'm just being hyper critical!

Master
    I love colour in my pens, but for me design (shape, finishing, embellishments) come first... I'd take a stylish black pen over a very plain colourful pen any day...

...but all that said, I totally understand why these are popular and as a pen fan, I still wouldn't turn it down - I'm just being hyper critical!
    So looking forward to your custom pen :) ...Something like this in the works?

What would you value a Parker Duofold International from 1996? Mint condition but no box.

18k Medium nib in a very fetching blue marble. I'm swithering on whether to list is as an auction or BIN on eBay. Any suggestions welcome!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    What would you value a Parker Duofold International from 1996? Mint condition but no box.

18k Medium nib in a very fetching blue marble. I'm swithering on whether to list is as an auction or BIN on eBay. Any suggestions welcome!
    Like this one?

http://www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk...int-and-boxed/

Master
    I think he'd be more into one of these:

https://www.nibs.com/pens/montegrapp...imited-edition
    Blingtastic.....

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post

I'd ask for a valuation from some of the vintage pens buyers first. I'd also be inclined to buy a used Parker box on eBay as it may help you get a better price. The serious collector will want the original, but the casual buyer may go for one with a Parker box over one without.

Master
    No they're a bit too low key for me...

Like this:
    https://misplumasfuente.files.wordpr...y-capuchon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I'd ask for a valuation from some of the vintage pens buyers first. I'd also be inclined to buy a used Parker box on eBay as it may help you get a better price. The serious collector will want the original, but the casual buyer may go for one with a Parker box over one without.
    That is a good idea.

Master
    No they're a bit too low key for me...
    Yeah, whatever, we know you've got your credit card at the ready...

Another budget wonder from Ohto

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WLVgwa]

If only they made a fountain pen version

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WVaywG]
    Last edited by bonzo697; 24th July 2017 at 22:28.

Master
    Ugh, a pen without a fountain nib? How bizarre!

Lovely colour though.

^ I only really bought it for the colour, (it's like a bronze cigar) but it's actually a very nice metal bodied pen. There's one left on Amazon Prime for £9.41 if anyone's interested.

I had a small delivery this morning from Cult Pens, a CON-40 converter for my M90 and a bottle of the new Robert Oster River of Fire ink. The ink is a lovely dark green colour, unlike anything else I have. Cult Pens included some swatches so I've taken advantage to show it next to Fire and Ice.

Master
    Nice!

I rediscovered a 10 yr old bottle of regular green Waterman ink recently and I am continuously surprised at how lovely it is - a very rich and complex green, really lovely.

Master
    By the way, my friendly TZUK enabler (LuBee) introduced me to a custom pensmith (is that the right term?) who happens to have some lovely Conway Stewart and also Tibaldi Impero celluloid rods from the factory after they closed... I might have accidentally commissioned a couple of pens using these materials...

Who's the pen maker?

Master
    You are a bad person!
    Have just ordered one! So much for not buying a pen till my Nakaya is delivered!

Master
    Who's the pen maker?
    Twiss Pens

Master
    Have just ordered one! So much for not buying a pen till my Nakaya is delivered!
    I don't think you'll be unhappy if it's anything like the black/gold version I got on Amazon Prime day... if the red version had been similarly priced, I'd have chosen that, but boy is it a nice pen!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Another budget wonder from Ohto

022 by bonzo697, on Flickr
    Nice colour I've always wanted one of these

Master
    ^ lovely! Very classy

Master
    I don't think you'll be unhappy if it's anything like the black/gold version I got on Amazon Prime day... if the red version had been similarly priced, I'd have chosen that, but boy is it a nice pen!
    I opted for the chrome finish just to be on the safe side!

Master
    I opted for the chrome finish just to be on the safe side!
    Absolutely - the red pen needs the chrome trim! Post pics when it arrives.